United need a new CB

Mark Pawelek

United have too many CBs. Need a couple to leave before buying any new ones. Tuanzebe should be give a chance to prove himself if you don't like Linderof.

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
I think he means a new partner for Maguire, but then goes onto say we don't need a CB, and we need to focus on RW & CM in January and the summer (my interpretation of that difficult post).
Yea, I know that. I was just being sarcastic and that some fans would want us to replace Maguire soon... I was confused by the initial post as well.

SambaBoy

We will experience the same problems replacing Lindelof with Tuanzebe. He's weak in the air and doesn't dominate aerial challenges. He is superior to Lindelof in terms of aggressiveness when it comes to defending, however Lindelof has better reading of the game. Lindelof is the superior CB at the moment.

I do feel we need another CB; however there is other areas we should address first. Signing AWB makes the right sided centre back job a lot easier as he's very good defensively and won't get caught out too often. Smalling and Maguire would be our best partnership IMO. Smalling is very dominant in the air like Maguire, he's quick and defends well as it comes naturally to him. Obviously his passing out the back is a major problem, and we would struggle to get out that right side with him and AWB not being amazing on the ball.

Jones can go, he hasn't ever shown enough to be considered a proper united CB and he's always a few games away from a major mistake/injury, same with Rojo.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
So you felt we needed to invest in a CM before a CB, even before we bought Maguire, then totally forgot about it until now then made this thread? Seems epic.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
I'm satisfied with Maguire and Lindelof as the first choice partnership. And Tuanzebe as first choice cover. Jones and Smalling as fourth and fifth choice are fine with me. Rojo should be sold or given away, but that doesn't answer the question raised by the OP, whose "point" contradicts the title of this thread.

The urgent issue to address is our creative attacking midfielder problem, which has been discussed in other threads so I'll leave it at that here.
I'd play a one-legged Rojo ahead of Smith and Jones... err I may Smalling and Jones

Noc-Z

ffs
Shouldn't you have titled your thread something like "United didn't/don't need a new CB" or even "United should have addressed CDM, CAM and RW before signing a CB (Maguire).

I don't agree as I think Maguire is an excellent signing. I do agree that these other areas need addressed, but only when the right players are available. If the right player is gettable, go and get him and we done that with Maguire.

There's a lot needs done....all in due course I hope.

westley

I just watched the U23 match between United and Newcastle, and Brandon Williams was the captain of the team (which have Chong and Garner). He played well, remind me of Patrice Evra. I think Williams could be a good cover for Shaw, I don't want to see Young on the wings any longer.