United need a new CB

LuckyScout78

After Maguire. Like Mourinho after his second CBs. The point is. Before United got Maguire. That he will not be the biggest difference of getting top 4 and United could get top 4 having Jones, Smalling and theirs current cbs fully fit and on theirs best. Without buying Maguire. But have to get a top dcm, offensive and RW instead.
Because the case and question. Where is United weakest link and biggest problem?And logically. Like a car or house you have to FIX FIRST where you have the biggest problem, that will effect result of the full product/ a team in case. And solve later other can live and go on problems. A weak area/problem, but not the weakest problem.
And I still believe United and Ole didn’t fix United weakest areas. A top CM or RW who will cost as much as Maguire, around 70-80 mill £. Then it will rise the chance to get top 4 more, contra get a top CB. City couldn’t afford and met Leicester asking price. So United might still could get Maguire in January, like Van Dijk to Liverpool in January.

But it is still early and only 3 games into the season. And if i think it is right. Ole and his coaching staff trust on McTom as a good enough DCM beside Pogba and Greenwood and others current RW options are good enough to reach theirs goal, is to get top 4. So again it is still early. We have never seen McTom and Greenwood as regular dcm and rw, over a long period. So it will definitely take times.

So again. From mine rating of United current squad. Before Maguire. I am satisfy with United cb options than cm and rw options. Reason i state CB are not United weakest area. And good enough for top 4 before the arriving of Maguire.
Because from what i have observed. From Moyes to Mourinho. The biggest factor they got sack, all 3 in common. They havent fill the holes after Scholes and Keane or a top DCM. A central midfield that dominate and win the battle of the midfield. Matic with Mourinho in his first season was good when he still had the legs and a world record bid of Pogba. A blank sheet and full of positives and energy. So it went well with Mourinho and co and his first 1-2 seasons.
And then the bad results coming, Matic injury before last season and couldn’t hit the top form again. And turn out to be negatives. So when those really key and importances areas are struggling, the central spine. It will effect the team.

So in the end. It is still early. Maybe Ole and his team are right until January. If not. To the next transfer windows. My advice and tips is to fix first where your weakest areas and position. Thats shall be first priority, then you go down the level of the need to get solve and fix. The level of the problems.
That’s all i want to share. And i stand on with my statement and opinions. So im not into discussion. Just read and time will tell more. 3 games into the season a bit too early. Maybe McTom can turn out to be a top dcm player, with 3-4 months times. He definitely has the speed and engine in him, but is lacking the best ball handling abilities as a cm player. So he can still improve.

But my point is. United and Ole didn’t fix the weakest areas first and hopefully not too late to fix until the next January, due to get top 4 by the end of the season. Because beeing 2 seasons out of top 4. It can be the biggest factor not attacking best players out there. Like Sancho. So like a football player on the pitch. Making choices outside the pitch are much as important.
Maybe my rating are wrong. Two misses penalties. United could get more point. And a high confidence and no fear Greenwood and Gomes. You never know. Ready or not. Only time will tell.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
I agree. The problem is we’re playing whack a mole right now, we’ve so many other critical areas to address. We need an entire new midfield, right winger, forward, left back, then what if De Gea leaves?

It’s an overhaul of massive proportions.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
This is hard to read...
But not sure we need a new one. We have solid players who need time to make a partnership next to Maguire, plus potential in Tuanzebe. Might end up needing one, but not a priority for now.

Raw

I'm struggling to understand your point. You say United need a new CB in the title but the post itself says otherwise?

lex talionis

I'm satisfied with Maguire and Lindelof as the first choice partnership. And Tuanzebe as first choice cover. Jones and Smalling as fourth and fifth choice are fine with me. Rojo should be sold or given away, but that doesn't answer the question raised by the OP, whose "point" contradicts the title of this thread.

The urgent issue to address is our creative attacking midfielder problem, which has been discussed in other threads so I'll leave it at that here.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Think Tuanzebe will soon over take Lindelof, and we've got 1 of Bailly,Jones or Smalling to play back up to them also.

We've got plenty of CB's.

Siorac

I agree. The problem is we’re playing whack a mole right now, we’ve so many other critical areas to address. We need an entire new midfield, right winger, forward, left back, then what if De Gea leaves?

With what? Please tell me because the OP left me dazed and confused.

TRUERED89

Don't think this needed a new thread, also what are you actually saying? That we need a RW & CM!? or a new CB partner for Maguire? Or both?

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
Yes I agree we need a new cb to replace the most expensive cb in football. White text

We have 7 center backs who can play first team football at most premier league club and some fans believe we need a cb. We must have the most spoiled, entitled fans on the planet next to Real Madrid. Cb is the last thing we need. We can go three season and still won’t need a cb unless the ones we have completely flops.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
We need a new CB, but also we need a new full back. I think we should get a new CB, and then the full back, or the full back first, then the CB, but not before we get the CB, which, as you know, is after said full back, who must be before the central midfielder, who is then after the CB, and also, let's get another CB, but not before the first CB, and after the central midfielder, who, is aforementioned to be before the CB, not the first CB, the second CB, and between the full back and first CB, and the full back will be before the second CB but after the first CB, also we must sign the next Messi

TRUERED89

Yes I agree we need a new cb to replace the most expensive cb in football. White text

We have 7 center backs who can play first team football at most premier league club and some fans believe we need a cb. We must have the most spoiled, entitled fans on the planet next to Real Madrid. Cb is the last thing we need. We can go three season and still won’t need a cb unless the ones we have completely flops.
I think he means a new partner for Maguire, but then goes onto say we don't need a CB, and we need to focus on RW & CM in January and the summer (my interpretation of that difficult post).

TRUERED89

We need a new CB, but also we need a new full back. I think we should get a new CB, and then the full back, or the full back first, then the CB, but not before we get the CB, which, as you know, is after said full back, who must be before the central midfielder, who is then after the CB, and also, let's get another CB, but not before the first CB, and after the central midfielder, who, is aforementioned to be before the CB, not the first CB, the second CB, and between the full back and first CB, and the full back will be before the second CB but after the first CB, also we must sign the next Messi
This was genuinely easier to read/understand than the OP :lol:

Ainu

I believe he's saying we did need a new CB this summer but it was not the most pressing issue. So while Maguire was an improvement it was not an improvement in the area we needed it the most. But I'm not 100% sure, it's difficult to decipher.

And I'm not sure I agree either. A new top cb was just as urgent as fixing our issues in other areas. The fact we failed to address our other glaring holes doesn't change that in my opinion.

Siorac

But. Before Maguire a new CM, who is also expensive in January, would be partner but Maguire is effective so. Top 4 chance if Unites fix weakest area of top CB after Keane and Scholes legs gone.

AshRK

But how come you totally forget about a CB. We definitely need a CB or do we?

Amarsdd

Trump? is that you?
anyway I think he means CB shouldn't have been our biggest priority and should have spent 80 mil we spent on Maguire on a CM or RW.

Alabaster Codify7

This is actually an excellent way to describe our squad problems. We seem like we're 5-6yrs away from being a stable club that only needs 'minor surgery' each summer(IE - 1-2 new signings). Looking into the near future, you could easily see 6-7 positions in the starting 11 that will need looking at, if we actually have any ambition. What goes around, comes around, though - if the Glazers had allowed SAF to replace a few stars before retiring, the transition would have been more fluid and less scatter-gun. For example, if SAF had been allowed to properly replace Scholes with a well-thought-out signing, thered have been no Schneiderlin/Fellaini/Schweinsteiger signings I reckon.

redshaw

Think the person is saying the defence was good enough for top 4 and we should've invested in other areas.

One could say we had the second best defence in 2016/17 and 2017/18 seasons, we did. In the 17/18 season we increased our goal scoring with the same defenders and got second place with 81 points.

Last season the same defenders who conceded 28 and 29 goals in the previous seasons conceded that amount by Dec and Jose was sacked. Same manager, same players, the big difference was Jose messing it all up on purpose.

To counter that, if we want to play more attacking football we need better defenders, it was more Jose's management and style of play we had such a tight defence in his first two seasons. Really in terms of establishing top 4 or challenging we're lacking in defence, midfield and attack.

starman

Stop reading after I saw Mourinho as the 4th word. Lookslike i saved myself a lot of hassle

Last edited:

DannyCAFC

Supports
Charlton Athletic
Horrible grammar. Completely unreadable, stopped after the 4th sentence, which remarkably was only fecking 15 words in.

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
Duh! He's saying United needed to fix the roof (cm and rw) before we did the interior (Maguire) Because what's the point in having a nice floor if the roof is leaking?

Edit: maybe the title is missing a question mark?