United signing Álvaro Fernandez, 17-year-old LB from Madrid

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Oh ffs, i've just been defending you

He looks taller and he's still got a few growing years left.
I agree. At 6ft1, he's already taller then the average fullback and he looks like he's going to get bigger. TBF I understand your POV as we're both from an era where tall players were mostly trained to become CBs or target men. Which explains why there's so many midgets in football who are blessed with great technique as compared to the big guys (Maradona, Messi, Scholes, Aguero, Zola). However there had been many tall players who were blessed with great technique as well. Ibra, Cantona, Van Basten and Maldini to mention a few.

Football is changing. The full back role is transforming from a role were failed CBs go there to die into one of the most important and demanding roles in football. In fact they are now expected to be able to help the CB, do the job of a typical fullback and also play as a traditional EPL winger. Which explains why fullbacks like Alexander-Arnold, Robertson and Digne have as many assists as that expected from top class wingers and creative players. His extra inches might help in his defensive duties.

Nori-

Absolutely no idea if he's any good but I like what Oles doing.

Scouting young talent from around Europe, bringing them to one of the best academies around at the moment and potentially saving us 10's of millions in the future.

Exact opposite of Mourinho's throw cash at it approach

gajender

Absolutely no idea if he's any good but I like what Oles doing.

Scouting young talent from around Europe, bringing them to one of the best academies around at the moment and potentially saving us 10's of millions in the future.

Exact opposite of Mourinho's throw cash at it approach
Academy recruitment has nothing to do with Ole or Mourinho.

Icemav

Here’s a match compilation where he features at LB, RB and in midfield. Looks like he has a really good left foot.

Looks a very good passer of the ball and unafraid to attack aggressively.

joedirt87

does he still have the long hair, can we call him the next sergio ramos?

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
I agree. At 6ft1, he's already taller then the average fullback and he looks like he's going to get bigger. TBF I understand your POV as we're both from an era where tall players were mostly trained to become CBs or target men. Which explains why there's so many midgets in football who are blessed with great technique as compared to the big guys (Maradona, Messi, Scholes, Aguero, Zola). However there had been many tall players who were blessed with great technique as well. Ibra, Cantona, Van Basten and Maldini to mention a few.

Football is changing. The full back role is transforming from a role were failed CBs go there to die into one of the most important and demanding roles in football. In fact they are now expected to be able to help the CB, do the job of a typical fullback and also play as a traditional EPL winger. Which explains why fullbacks like Alexander-Arnold, Robertson and Digne have as many assists as that expected from top class wingers and creative players. His extra inches might help in his defensive duties.
It'll be interesting to see how he develops, I can see him being eased in at LB for the 18s, but moved to LCB(in a 2 or 3) or DLPM as the season progresses.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
The music reminds me of Ghana's dancing pallbearers -- tough to focus the lad's abilities with that in the background when I half expect the guys with the sunnies and their tux lifting a coffin up & down to show up in the video.