United to introduce a wage structure capped at 200k per week

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
For the future though, there is clearly going to be clever accounting which begs the question, why bother leaking this if it's true ?
Not everything that is posted online is a leak by club or not everything is even true.

Also journalists have sources to keep them informed. If the club briefs it then there will be at least 3-4 journalists (Jackson, Simon stone and couple of others ) who would be reporting with same article word by word.

Jev

Great news in theory, but I do think this could cause some problems; we've seen this backfire at clubs like Arsenal and Spurs where top players have left because the club didn't want to break their wage structure. I'm all for measures to make us more sustainable, but hard limits can often backfire.
And also I believe Arsenal ended up having one of the biggest wage bills in the league anyway because some distinctly average players ended up being paid too much.

Lentwood

100% agree with this, it's something I have advocated for a while.

I want this club to be built on footballing principles, if a player wants to sell themselves to the highest bidder they're not for us anyway

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
I love this! Guessing this is ETH idea. He’s changed so much since coming in. This will make sure we don’t have players who are here just for the highest paid check. They’ll be here to fight for the club and because they love Manchester United. I’ve always said this is what should happen… I’m guessing more clubs will follow us and do the same.

LARulz

100% agree with this, it's something I have advocated for a while.

I want this club to be built on footballing principles, if a player wants to sell themselves to the highest bidder they're not for us anyway
In theory it's nice but also what happens when these young players we get who accept it become great and Madrid start sniffing again for example. We basically then become Dortmund as these players will jump

The market right now, for top players, I don't think ultimately allows for this. We should be strict on salary but not if it means giving up/losing out on a world class player

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
In theory it's nice but also what happens when these young players we get who accept it become great and Madrid start sniffing again for example. We basically then become Dortmund as these players will jump

The market right now, for top players, I don't think ultimately allows for this. We should be strict on salary but not if it means giving up/losing out on a world class player
The fact that the likes of Casemiro and Varane are below that cap tells you that most world class players don’t even earn that much unless they’re playing for us and we stupidly overpay them like what we’ve done with some of our current players.

TsuWave

Actually it does, much more so than no variable components. That is as long as it is transparent.
I don’t know what you’re saying “actually it does” to. Monetary motivation does lose some of its stimulus. There are plenty of academic articles about this. I didn’t say it has no stimulus, for clarification.

Bonus structure was in place from long time, even before all these papers started publishing about Liverpool and City.

I remember having discussion on pros and cons of goal or assist bonus 10 years ago
I assume it is implemented in every work place and has been so for decades. Bonus structure isn’t a novel concept. I’m saying we’ll likely just lean heavier into it. Unless people really think United is sticking to a hard cap and will be able to retain T and attract talent, which I don’t believe.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
Surely we should take this with a pinch of salt?

New owners coming in a new strategy will be set and who knows what it'll be. We haven't got a buyer yet so any new strategy within the club is short term.
You think owners will be unhappy with a rule that saves them money? :lol:

Brophs

The One and Only
Why are the current owners implementing a long term policy when they’re on their way out the door, apparently?

We need an rvn

Great news in theory, but I do think this could cause some problems; we've seen this backfire at clubs like Arsenal and Spurs where top players have left because the club didn't want to break their wage structure. I'm all for measures to make us more sustainable, but hard limits can often backfire.
If it's a cap at the base salary but not including stronger bonuses for goals, clean sheets, assists I can't see it impacting too much. £10m + bonuses is still a heck of a lot of money and the bonuses don't necessarily have to be that hard if we really wanted to attract some players. Appearance bonus / image right etc

I agree when it comes to a star playing, eg Haaland / prime Messi and Ronaldo etc, it might cause an issue if there is a huge demand, but again, you can go back to easy bonuses (sure I read Haaland has some very easy ones and his base salary isn't sky high) - but for players like DDG, Sancho etc they should never have been offered terms of £350+k p/w

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Sounds like nonsense. We have the highest wage bill in the league and they aren't all going to take a pay cut.

Red_Aaron

That's all well and good but irrelevant really given we're up for sale. If Qatar buy us tomorrow they'll throw a million a week at mbappe to try to lure him here (not saying he'll come) same with Bellingham and any other next superstar off the convey belt

Judas

Open to offers
It's just laughable shite really. People are annoyed some of our players are on silly money, fair enough, but long term it's clearly not feasible if we want to attract the best players, who we will be able to afford.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
That report can't be correct (not at 200k anyway), so many of our players already get paid way more than that and certainly won't resign (Rashford and Shaw for example) when they will be offered more elsewhere. As has already been said good luck signing top players as well

OrcaFat

I like this idea in theory. The best players in the world command more than £200k, especially when they run the contract down and are free to transfer. But, realistically, we are rarely first choice for the very top bracket of player.

It takes a bit of the dream away though.

TheReligion

Abusive
That report can't be correct (not at 200k anyway), so many of our players already get paid way more than that and certainly won't resign (Rashford and Shaw for example) when they will be offered more elsewhere. As has already been said good luck signing top players as well
I’ve seen the wage for Rashford at 200k and Shaw 180k. That would tie in with the report.

C'est Moi Cantona

Why are the current owners implementing a long term policy when they’re on their way out the door, apparently?
Maybe trying to get their house in order before the new owners come in?

A bloated and lop sided wage bill, along with us apparently been close to the edge on FFP is maybe going to put off a few bidders, or at least pull the price down a bit.

Much as Ronaldo had to go, it could explain why there didn't seem to be much resistance from the Glazers for letting him go given he was signed for club sponsors more than anything else, more important to get rid of his wages than upset the sponsors, etc. Any new owner can just do away with the idea if that want anyway.

Newtonius

Hmm seems like a directive from incoming owners right? The Glazers wouldn't do this if there is no intention to buy anyone in january nor be involved come the summer window.

Realistically this is also a pipe dream, they would have to reduce those currently at the club and it also seems premature as we don't offer trophies in lieu of the money.

Edit: I mean this 'Ronaldo rule' would apply with new arrivals as well. Imagine hypothetically that FDJ comes in on 200k and a bunch of bonuses, why wouldn't he be pissed looking at Sancho on 375k a week?

Last edited:

Galactic

Incorrigible pest
We need worldclass players who are not looking for big wages.

I can see where this is heading to.

DevTheRed

£200k seems low in current times. £250k sounds a bit more realistic.. I’ve always felt players contracts should be more bonus based anyway. The better you play the more you get paid.. at least some motivation that way.

TheReligion

Abusive
I don’t think people realise United have been doing this for a little while.

It was widely reported that players would be on reduced terms this season by up to 25% due to failing to get CL football. Casemiro for example doesn’t get his top level of pay unless team objectives are hit.

I assume this is nothing new. The bulk of deals are structured that way. All that is different is we now know the base rate is going to be 200k.

Graveyard

I dont like this one but of course there should be some wage policy. Really not something us fans should be worried about.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
£200k seems low in current times. £250k sounds a bit more realistic.. I’ve always felt players contracts should be more bonus based anyway. The better you play the more you get paid.. at least some motivation that way.
Again, it is differently structured, does not mean that players can’t make as much as before in total

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
We need worldclass players who are not looking for big wages.

I can see where this is heading to.
If it puts an end to big players just looking for a last pay check, I‘m all for it. I‘m sure we are still competitive in the market, I mean many clubs have that already and there is also a cap in Spain for example (overall though but still)

LordSpud

Its funny for about 3 years the only thing we've had to entice players to join is the massive wages.

We need to start winning stuff and becoming a desirable place to be for this to work.

justsomebloke

My immediate reaction is the same. A firm structure seems an overly restrictive way to go about it. It's hard not to think something similar could not be achieved simply by exercising better judgment in contract decisions. But I suppose with the salary structure we already have in place, a clear signal is needed. It will inevitably limit what we can do in the transfer market and make us more reliant on acquiring younger players who genuinely want to play for United, but maybe that's a good thing. Big worry though is how do we keep players who are proven top global talent? An official and clearly defined wage cap should make us very poachable and more vulnerable - opposing teams will know how high they need to go in order to be a sufficiently enticing option.

JanK

Supports
Napoli
Superb move. It's just a psychological tweak - if you have a high main wage, you don't care about performance, because no matter how good you perform, you will still get the same wage.

I am an entrepreneur and I see this daily how higher main wage affects employees' performance and my financial metrics. Higher performance means higher wages for the employee and more income to employer. I feel it's the only way forward, because it skips the mandatory every day motivational talk, as they have their inner motivation created with a new wage structure.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Superb move. It's just a psychological tweak - if you have a high main wage, you don't care about performance, because no matter how good you perform, you will still get the same wage.

I am an entrepreneur and I see this daily how higher main wage affects employees' performance and my financial metrics. Higher performance means higher wages for the employee and more income to employer. I feel it's the only way forward, because it skips the mandatory every day motivational talk, as they have their inner motivation created with a new wage structure.
To get close to a starting spot at a team like Man United, the players have proved for years that they have elite mindests and incredible work ethic. The thought of an extra £25K for a win won't make someone like Casemiro or Bruno play any better or train any harder, they're already giving everything.

If the player isn't giving everything because there's no additional financial incentive (other than their wages) then you don't want that player at the very highest level anyway.

You can't compare these guys to a salesperson getting hyped up to sell more mobile phones because they'll get more money.

fallengt

200k cap + performance based bonus would be great idea. Not sure if players will fancy with that

red thru&thru

Agreed. All players are not equal. Sounds great in theory but doubt it will work in the real world.

Top talents, whatever the industry, will want to be paid their market value. And who keeps all the extra cash generated? One things for sure, it won't go back into the infrastructure of the club. Glazer's have spent next to nothing on improving Old Trafford or Carrington.

Let's see how this plays out. Plus, a weird time to be introducing this. I thought the club was being sold?

LordSpud

Also if this happens I'm leaning towards Glazer's have secure investment from Qatar or something like that and not gonna sell.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
We don’t have the highest wage bill anymore, especially now Ronaldo left
For 21/22 (last published accounts) we were £30m higher than City. 2nd at best then if we were in the CL like for like.

Players like Rashford and Shaw aren't going to take a pay cut on renewal especially as they are approaching the chance to go for free.