United to introduce a wage structure capped at 200k per week

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Like, who is this announcement aimed at? Who will be impressed? The players definitely won’t be. Nor will any player considering signing for us. Just a very odd decision to make this public. Maybe they’re trying to fool potential buyers into thinking that running the club isn’t as expensive as it really is?
Announcement? It’s one journalist at the Sunday Mail reporting on it as far as I’ve seen?

TheReligion

Abusive
That would be because there was no talk of a wage cap in the summer. This is the first time anyone heard of it. Plus I seriously doubt we’re paying Casemiro less than 200k/week.
I don’t think you follow

There’s a base rate, say 200k max, then the rest of the deal is bumped up with add ons to encourage good team and personal performance

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I don’t think you follow

There’s a base rate, say 200k max, then the rest of the deal is bumped up with add ons to encourage good team and personal performance
Salaries have always included incentives. There’s no change there. The only change (if true) is that those incentives will be added to a base salary that is capped. If any of this is true. Sounds like complete bullshit anyway. Why make a self-imposed restriction to stop us from ever signing the best players in the world? Madness. Salary caps could only ever make sense as something all the clubs in a league agree to.

TheReligion

Abusive
Salaries have always included incentives. There’s no change there. The only change (if true) is that those incentives will be added to a base salary that is capped. If any of this is true. Sounds like complete bullshit anyway. Why make a self-imposed restriction to stop us from ever signing the best players in the world? Madness. Salary caps could only ever make sense as something all the clubs in a league agree to.
The change is they are more incentive based and less base salary. Adjusting the percentages.

The change didn’t stop us signing the player’s we did in the summer as I say. And that included Casemiro from Madrid.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Well someone at the club has obviously briefed that journalist. Which is as good as an announcement. Hopefully that didn’t happen and it’s all made up. Because it’s a stupid idea.
I disagree. When we brief journalists it’s usually the same 3 or 4 of them who then release the same article almost simultaneously. Joe Bernstein is not one of those journalists and nobody else is reporting on it apart from those articles popping up now citing the Mail’s article.

arnie_ni

I disagree. When we brief journalists it’s usually the same 3 or 4 of them who then release the same article almost simultaneously. Joe Bernstein is not one of those journalists and nobody else is reporting on it apart from those articles popping up now citing the Mail’s article.
Yep sounds like a pile of balls

DatIrishFella

Band of Brothers, Thief
He's talking about hypothetical owners signing Kylian Mbappe and Jude Bellingham as a means to justify why an internal salary cap is a bad move.

We're not signing any of those players (plus he put Declan Rice in a similar category to Mbappe).

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
Exactly.

Say Rashford continues to have s a tremendous season and we tell him £200k or leave. He'll be off to PSG before Messi's finished his farewell tour. Everyone knows it too.
Why? It's his childhood club and £200k plus bonuses is still a hell of a wage.

Doracle

Isn’t the problem with this article that Casemiro and Varane are actually on nearly double the wages the article suggests we are paying them? £200k sounds a very low cap for a club of our status and simply won’t work.

cyberman

Preparing the old pay more under the table City trick for the oil money coming in

TheReligion

Abusive
Isn’t the problem with this article that Casemiro and Varane are actually on nearly double the wages the article suggests we are paying them? £200k sounds a very low cap for a club of our status and simply won’t work.
Only with incentives being hit. Otherwise they just get their base rate.

SirAF

Ageist
The club has to be more sensible when it comes to handing out big contracts but I’m not sure if I like this. Does Varane or Casemiro sign for United if they are not getting paid (reportedly) around 300k a week?

Yes, bang on.

TheReligion

Abusive
The club has to be more sensible when it comes to handing out big contracts but I’m not sure if I like this. Does Varane or Casemiro sign for United if they are not getting paid (reportedly) around 300k a week?
They have both signed though? and Casemiros contract at least is heavily incentivised so he only gets the 300k if we it all our targets.

ArmchairCritic

You got pets me too mines are dead
United fans for the last 9 years: Sick and tired of buying players on stupid wages and giving out stupid contract for players who don’t perform at their best. Want to see us buying players with something to prove.

United fans after reading 1 article about introducing a wage structure that will likely reward performance: Well, that’s a stupid idea.

SirAF

Ageist
They have both signed though? and Casemiros contract at least is heavily incentivised so he only gets the 300k if we it all our targets.
Obviously. If this news about a cap is true then it was not in place when they were signed. Will United be able to sign another «Varane» with such a cap was what I was getting at.

Steve Bruce

You think owners will be unhappy with a rule that saves them money? :lol:
It really depends on what they want to do.

If they want to do what psg done when they signed cavani, neymar, di Maria and Mbappe they won't be able to do that with 200k a week.

If they are looking to be frugal then your correct.
I'm certainly not against the idea of being run more efficiently as long as our manager and team gets what they need

edgymnerch

Terrible move, are they serious they won’t pay 500k/week if Mbappe is willing to come at that wage?

Just because things didn’t work out with a 36yo Ronaldo, doesn’t mean we should not try to sign a 25yo Ronaldo if such a player becomes available.
Thing is Mbappe is not coming. It's a load of horeseshit, his wage is higher at PSG and they're a more lucrative option than us. I don't see any reason why he would come to us

TheReligion

Abusive
Obviously. If this news about a cap is true then it was not in place when they were signed. Will United be able to sign another «Varane» with such a cap was what I was getting at.
My point is United have been doing this with wages for a while so it’s likely he’s already on a contract similar to Casemiro which is heavily incentivised.

The 200k figure is new but it’s been widely reported for a while United were moving to this format, hence why so many players lost 25% this season due to no CL football.

TheReligion

Abusive
Terrible move, are they serious they won’t pay 500k/week if Mbappe is willing to come at that wage?

Just because things didn’t work out with a 36yo Ronaldo, doesn’t mean we should not try to sign a 25yo Ronaldo if such a player becomes available.
So to entertain your analogy yes they will.

They’d just do a base of 200k then make it up to 500k with team and personal objectives achieved by incentives

Blackbeard

Supports
Bristol City
Seems a bit pointless if the clubs being sold. The new owners will probably just come in and scrap it.

I think this is a perfectly sensible move. DDG is allegedly currently on £350k per week. If his new contract stated that he had to play a minimum of 35 games per season and keep 15 clean sheets per year to maintain this wage then that is good business. On this years form DDG is more than capable of achieving this. If he falls off a cliff again he drops back to £200k per week. Certainly not poverty wages but also easier to find a loan deal and/or buyer if he thinks he can do better elsewhere. United have really struggled to shift underperforming players due to excessively high wages. If the high wages are only earned through performance bonuses it makes it much easier to move on underperforming players.
Would anyone object to paying Rashford £350K per week on this years form? Probably not. Would anyone have paid him £200k per week for last years form? Unlikely.
I have no idea of this story is true but I certainly hope it is

TheReligion

Abusive
I must have missed that bit in the article. Can you quote the bit where they said that?
It’s not in that article but has been widely reported last year, this pre season and is suggested in the articles I posted to you about Casemiros wages from Sports Illustrated.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Like, who is this announcement aimed at? Who will be impressed? The players definitely won’t be. Nor will any player considering signing for us. Just a very odd decision to make this public. Maybe they’re trying to fool potential buyers into thinking that running the club isn’t as expensive as it really is?
It's not an announcement it's one story from one reporter in the Mail who we know fabricate stories all the time.

UpWithRivers

This is some stupid sht.
United fans for the last 9 years: Sick and tired of buying players on stupid wages and giving out stupid contract for players who don’t perform at their best. Want to see us buying players with something to prove.

United fans after reading 1 article about introducing a wage structure that will likely reward performance: Well, that’s a stupid idea.
Because both statements can be true. You could be pissed off by the price of food but only spending 10 pounds a week on food is not the solution.

ArmchairCritic

You got pets me too mines are dead
This is some stupid sht.

Because both statements can be true. You could be pissed off by the price of food but only spending 10 pounds a week on food is not the solution.
Yes, £200,000 a week is like spending £10 a week on food. Totally owned me there.

TheReligion

Abusive

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Well someone at the club has obviously briefed that journalist. Which is as good as an announcement. Hopefully that didn’t happen and it’s all made up. Because it’s a stupid idea.
Why would a wage cap be a stupid idea? Haven't we largely agreed we've been offering stupid wages for years? Madrid and Liverpool remained competitive without offering the obscene wages we do, Madrid with 2 notable exceptions, we regularly have the largest wage bill in the league and our on-field performances rarely come close to matching that.

r0663664

Worships Man City
Totally agree! why is footballer earning so much. I don't think Liverpool pays their players as much as United. Their bonus should be base on match appearance, MOTM, no. of goals score, no. of assist, no. of clean sheet, EPL player of the month, EPL team of the year and cups progress.

Wins against top team in EPL will also be incentivise e.g. City, Liverpool, Spurs, Chelsea, Arsenal as long as you make it to the bench. This will motivate the team to train well in order to be select for the match.

There should also be penalties of picking up red cards, no. of silly yellow cards and etc. Players can still get top dollars as long as the clubs in going great.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
This will only work if theres a huge incentive to winning trophies when the team is ready to win. Otherwise we might struggle to bring in top players. Kinda contradictory.

acnumber9

It’s a lovely idea and all but it would make it near impossible to attract and retain top players.

TheReligion

Abusive
Totally agree! why is footballer earning so much. I don't think Liverpool pays their players as much as United. Their bonus should be base on match appearance, MOTM, no. of goals score, no. of assist, no. of clean sheet, EPL player of the month, EPL team of the year and cups progress.

Wins against top team in EPL will also be incentivise e.g. City, Liverpool, Spurs, Chelsea, Arsenal as long as you make it to the bench. This will motivate the team to train well in order to be select for the match.

There should also be penalties of picking up red cards, no. of silly yellow cards and etc. Players can still get top dollars as long as the clubs in going great.
Liverpool pay more than people think. Salah is on 350k, VVD 220k, Thiago 200k and even Trent 180k.

lysglimt

Scout
This is just BS....when the other clubs pay their best players twice as much, we will be flexible. We had a wage cap once, Keane challenged it and won.