United v Oldham (A) Mcr Senior Cup 1/9/10 7.30pm

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Cheers mate, I took a few more but deleted them as I was taking them cos they were mega blurry, those are the pick of the bunch

decorativeed

Yea it's a decent little ground, we sat in the large stand opposite the bench in the first half then wandered down to behind the goal, certainly more impressive than Moss Lane.
Yeah, I used to live over the other side of the hill behind the ground, it's a good little club.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Anderson looks in better shape.

Devilton

Cheers mate, I took a few more but deleted them as I was taking them cos they were mega blurry, those are the pick of the bunch
Higher shutter speed on some of the shots would help with the clarity. (it would freeze the shot, and reduce that motion blur)

Good snaps though.

100-400mm Canon L-series lens ?

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Yea the shutter speed was what was causing the most trouble but I had it on auto settings as I couldn't be bothered faffing around whilst trying to watch at the same time.

Nikon D40 with Sigma 70-300mm

Devilton

Yea the shutter speed was what was causing the most trouble but I had it on auto settings as I couldn't be bothered faffing around whilst trying to watch at the same time.

Nikon D40 with Sigma 70-300mm
Nice. Canon man myself, but Nikon makes an awesome camera as well. Never used a Sigma lens, but have read really good things about it.

Looks like you had some nice vantage points to take the shots as well. Good on ya...look forward to more in the future. :)

For sports photography, if the light conditions are fairly universal (floodlights or natural light), I'd try going for a shutter speed of 1/500 or even higher (1/1000 will really give you sharp images). Unless the light is really shit (or changing really quick, keep ISO at 200 - 400). If you have the aperture set to under 4.0f then you will probably need to boost the ISO a little more, but i wouldn't go past 6000 otherwise you'll need to do some post production work in photoshop to get rid of noise (not a big deal, but if can be pain for some). If you are focusing on just one player and he's not running around like mad, a 4f - 8f should give you a nice, focused image with the rest of the background in a soft blur (especially with a nice lens). Oh, and if you got a tripod or monopod, use it, i'll make a world of difference.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Cheers mate. I've been watching a few D200's on ebay but even though they've come down massively I can't really afford one :( The auto focus on the lens would work with one of them, but my D40 doesn't have the pin for it. A friend of mine uses Canon, I think they and Nikon are pretty similar standard, it's just preference really.

I'll be taking the camera to most of the ressie games this year I reckon, hopefully get better at dealing with shooting from dark into floodlit areas as I keep trying!

Devilton

I'll be taking the camera to most of the ressie games this year I reckon, hopefully get better at dealing with shooting from dark into floodlit areas as I keep trying!
No doubt. It's all about practise, at some point you becomes second nature and you get used to finding just the right setting to capture the shot. Sports and Nature photography is the most challenging for me because the subject is moving, and the variable conditions are usually beyond your control.

Just play with shutterspeed and aperture. If you can, set the white balance yourself. Most cameras are intelligent enough to do it properly, but most stadiums aren't lit for photography (the floodlights i mean). So you will need to compensate and boost your ISO as far as it can go without adding noise. Try between ISO 1600 - 4000 and see how it looks, and a minimum of 1/500 shutter speed (if it goes to 1/1000 even better). Shoot wide open as well (6f - 8f).

I'm almost positive you will get a lot more shots that will have that frozen, crisp look that most sports photographers want.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
You should attend a reserves match Daniel, that way I can bury you under the centre circle afterwards.

decorativeed

Is it normal for Staleybridge people to get a pie, then fill it to the brim with brown sauce before eating it?
Yes. And people from Dukinfield and Ashton too. Do people from outside Tameside not indulge in this perfectly normal behaviour?

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
honestly ajose amazes me. His end product has been top drawer for 2 seasons maybe more and this season he's doing it again. I think it's very impressive and he seems to be very single minded, but he still creates.

Good to see Kiko getting into his stride and hopefully he'll have a great season

Aporkalypse

Hell of a hit from Macheda. The other two goals were laughable goalkeeping errors though.

RedPhil1957

a question for those there,

from the highlights last night i was impressed with running, ability and aggression of Gill playing FB, not really his natural position but i thought he had stepped up a notch yet again ---- a couple of years ago I thought he had no chance to reach PL standard let alone make United's first team however his progress since has been such i am now not so sure. What did you all think?

Mitch Conor

Holy CRAP BALLS!!
a question for those there,

from the highlights last night i was impressed with running, ability and aggression of Gill playing FB, not really his natural position but i thought he had stepped up a notch yet again ---- a couple of years ago I thought he had no chance to reach PL standard let alone make United's first team however his progress since has been such i am now not so sure. What did you all think?
He did look good, but Oldham are not a great side themselves, never mind their reserve side.

I would agree he has made great strides over the last year or so (since finishing his exams and concentrating fully on footie) but I still don't think he will make it at the highest level. He is just far too slow imo.

RedPhil1957

He did look good, but Oldham are not a great side themselves, never mind their reserve side.

I would agree he has made great strides over the last year or so (since finishing his exams and concentrating fully on footie) but I still don't think he will make it at the highest level. He is just far too slow imo.

Your possibly right, as you say not the hardest opponents, however i thought he looked quicker and sharper than I have seen before --- lack of pace has been levelled at many players, fletcher for example, who seem to do ok.

Mitch Conor

Holy CRAP BALLS!!
Your possibly right, as you say not the hardest opponents, however i thought he looked quicker and sharper than I have seen before --- lack of pace has been levelled at many players, fletcher for example, who seem to do ok.
He did look a lot quicker in that game alright.

I would also say it is easier for a midfielder to get away with a lack of pace. Forwards and defenders need pace though imo - or an amazing positional sense and reading of the game, but even at that a lack of pace can be a serious problem.

I do like the lad and his style, very powerfull defender - I just don't think he quite has it. I would say Wooton is the better out of the two regular CB partners. Was certainly interesting to see him deployed, and look fairly good, at LB.