United v Villareal, Uefa youth league

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I'm gonna miss this game but it's gonna be a real test against against a Villarreal team that plays league football in Spain. It seems like we're gonna line up in 532/352 variant, with a midfield 3 of Mainoo, Hansen and Hannibal. Game kicks off at 1pm, and hopefully the likes of @Mickson and @AltiUn will keep me updated.

Bertie Wooster

Good to see most of the promising talents involved - Fernandez, Hansen, Mainoo, Hannibal, Elanga...

Anyone know if Willy Kambwala is injured again? He seems to have disappeared from the scene again in the last few weeks.

Last edited:

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Villarreal score, actually a really good ball in and a well placed header. It’s been a competitive game but this Villarreal side is genuinely very good.

Worth adding that Vitek has been outstanding this afternoon, 3 vital saves already.

AltiUn

Room for improvement in the second half. Hannibal typically getting kicked all over the pitch. Whilst a good side they’re very “Spanish” in their approach, late tackles, well organised, technically excellent, very theatrical and always seem to have the referees on their side.

Remember the geese

Atrocious stuff so far. So fortunate to only be one behind. Three simple long balls down the middle of the pitch should have brought three goals. A combination of Vitek and poor refereeing decisions have prevented this from being 5 or 6. We have talented individuals, but you'd never know it as we have so little of the ball. Completely dominated. The only crumb of a chance we had was on the counter when McNeil was too greedy and refused to play in Elanga.

Mickson

We are more or less completely outplayed. Awful in and out of position with a 3-5-2 who doesn't fit us. Two times a ball from their keeper has resulted in a clear goalscoring chance. There's no sync in the back three and Bennett and Hardley especially I think are very relieved that it is halftime. Marc Jurado is not a wingback, so I'm curious why they're playing this formation. If I have to guess, they will change it to the second half. Elanga has hardly touched the ball and our attacking talent is wasted so far. I have to say Villarreal is really good, a unit, and is beating United's press time and time again. Very flexible and comfortable all around. Vitek has been excellent and saved us on 2-3 occasions when they should've scored. 1-0 after 45, that's the only positive - we can still get something from this.

AltiUn

We are more or less completely outplayed. Awful in and out of position with a 3-5-2 who doesn't fit us. Two times a ball from their keeper has resulted in a clear goalscoring chance. There's no sync in the back three and Bennett and Hardley especially I think are very relieved that it is halftime. Marc Jurado is not a wingback, so I'm curious why they're playing this formation. If I have to guess, they will change it to the second half. Elanga has hardly touched the ball and our attacking talent is wasted so far. I have to say Villarreal is really good, a unit, and is beating United's press time and time again. Very flexible and comfortable all around. Vitek has been excellent and saved us on 2-3 occasions when they should've scored. 1-0 after 45, that's the only positive - we can still get something from this.
The formation switch is a bit odd, I suspect it's a bit of PTSD from the reverse fixture. We've got enough talent in this team not to have to resort to something like this.

Started the second half much more positively, at least.

AltiUn

Hannibal always seems so cultured on the ball. We've done better this half but Villareal are an incredibly stubborn defensive outfit, not many half spaces to pick up out and when we do they're already in the process of suffocating the player in space. Very well-drilled.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
Good to see most of the promising talents involved - Fernandez, Hansen, Mainoo, Hannibal, Elanga...

Anyone know if Willy Kambwala is injured again? He seems to have disappeared from the scene again in the last few weeks.
My guess when the academy players go missing without any injury report lately is that they're down with covid.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
That was a nice goal, Unselfish from Elanga

AltiUn

A well-earned equaliser, good decision making from Elanga choosing not to go for goal himself.

A minute earlier there was some delightful play involving Mainoo, Fernandez and Mejbri(?).

AltiUn

Some peculiar refereeing there, a Villareal player went down and the referee let them play on for almost a minute until United regained possession and looked to counter, then decided to stop play.

Champ

Elanga really is an exciting player to watch. Very positive in everything he does, really hope he can break through to the first team under the new manager.

holdsteady

Hates Sir Alex Ferguson
Mather slips in Savage who finds Garnacho on the penalty spot, he does well to create space but finishes poorly. The chance was there.

AltiUn

Some sloppy play around the back nearly gives Villarreal their second.

Yagami

Good post resistant
I know a channel on YouTube that uploads some of these youth games in full. Mainly does all youth groups of Barcelona and Real Madrid. If it gets uploaded I'll tag you, @Adnan .

Champ

Wingplay pays dividends!! Goal United

AltiUn

This fullback will be having nightmares about Elanga tonight, he’s made mince meat of him.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
Massive credit to Vittek for keeping us in the game. Could have been 4-0 before we equalized.

AltiUn

These lot are absolutely filthy.

Champ

Great second half,

Elanga electrifying, Mengi a rock at the back, Garnacho looked good when he came on, and a special mention for Hannibal, got kicked off the park but carried on running the show and didn't react at all.

Remember the geese

Much better second half. Everyone stepped up and showed a lot more intensity. Villarreal were overly physical and it was good to see our players not fall into the trap. Especially pleased with Hannibal. How many times does he get kicked?

Mickson

A very good second half, where I thought everyone was good but Hannibal, Fernandez, and Mengi in particular. Great turnaround and everyone was playing well, great play from the subs too. Credit to Vitek for his first half though and from the coaching stuff to turn this around.

Lost bear

Good work from the lads against these dirty feckers. 2-1 United FT
Excellent second half. Referee was terrible, Hannibal and Elanga- and Fernández- great. Lots of promise there. First time I’ve enjoyed a Utd game for weeks!

Mickson

How were Hansen/Mainoo?
Didn't have their best games, although Hansen was decent in the end. Mainoo was subbed quite early so it's hard to tell and he played in the first half when everyone was rather poor. I would love to see Mainoo in the setup like in the second half.

Hannibal, Mainoo
Mather, Hansen, Elanga
McNeill