United Women | Pre season 2023/24

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
Beat Everton today after drawing with Leicester a week ago.

The club has for some fecking stupid reason decided to play all these games behind closed doors. Not sure if any of them are even on MUTV. We’ll have highlights from a couple of them on the app. Yay.

They did not communicate anything about the Leicester game beforehand. Some time after FT they so very kindly told us the result and the goalscorers.

Apparently the second half team vs Leicester was more or less completely a development side.

Today I’m grateful for Ben Ibson of MUTV as the club again has not communicated anything about the game. Well, they did tell us fans that it will take place today.

Toone & Earps are the last ones on holidays, they’ll return next week.

I can not for the life of me understand why the club thinks this is an okay way to treat its fans. It’s embarassing.

Pre season fixtures:

27 August | United 2-2 Leicester (Fuso, Thomas)
2 September | United 1-0 Everton (Galton)
6 September | FC Bayern 3-2 United (Galton, Geyse)
13 September | United 3-1 Liverpool (Toone x2, Geyse)
17 September | Spurs 0-1 United (García)

Last edited:

top1whoisman

Scout
United squad: Baggaley, Blundell, Turner, Le Tissier, Riviere, Boe Risa, Ladd, Watson, Galton, Garcia, Parris, Naalsund, Thomas, Evans, Geyse, Fuso, Rabjohn, Aherne, Francis, Crook, Deering.

70’

Off: Galton, Parris, Watson, Ladd, Turner, Le Tissier and Blundell

On: Rabjohn, Geyse, Ivana Fuso, Aherne, Olivia Francis, Crook and Holly Deering

Goal: Galton 37 (apparently a nice assist fWatson)

top1whoisman

Scout
Ladd:
“I think we can be really pleased with the performance. It’s great to see the new players getting some minutes and fitting in.

“They are doing really well off the pitch and it’s great to see them fitting in on it as well.

“Everton are a good side and they gave us a good challenge but it was great to get a victory. We are ready and hungry for the next challenge.”

Galton:
“We were a lot more connected today than last week so it’s great to see the improvements we are making.

“It’s nice to get back into the rhythm of the game, we had a lot of chances, we just need to get more of them into the back of the net.”

RORY65

Sorry for a rant in the OP, but I’m genuinely fuming.
Not engaging with the fanbase and maybe even finding new fans by having these games behind closed doors is weird but even the secrecy of not really reporting on the games is strange. The women's team also don't seem to announce contract lengths on new signings and last year Skinner was doing pre-game press conferences for weekend matches on like a Tuesday. It's just odd when surely you would want to be more open with people to grow the team's brand, is it Skinner who wants it that way?

top1whoisman

Scout
Not engaging with the fanbase and maybe even finding new fans by having these games behind closed doors is weird but even the secrecy of not really reporting on the games is strange. The women's team also don't seem to announce contract lengths on new signings and last year Skinner was doing pre-game press conferences for weekend matches on like a Tuesday. It's just odd when surely you would want to be more open with people to grow the team's brand, is it Skinner who wants it that way?
I have a feeling it’s at least Skinner who wants to play behind closed doors as much as possible. I do understand and appreciate his (if it is him) point of view, but feck me it’s a global game and the club has a huge fanbase all around the world.

This is not the way to grow the sport. For all the good the club has done on the women’s side, right now it feels like they’re taking a couple of steps backwards.

But at least we’ve started to sign some proper players as I was a bit concerned about our squad before we did.

I just wish they would indeed engage and communicate more. The start of the pre season has been pathetic, in those terms.

Demon Barber

@top1whoisman - thank you the hard work you do on this thread.

The way the club treats women's football is a disgrace. Okay, there are some informal behind-the-scenes videos and brief match highlights, but their communication with fans leaves a lot to be desired.

Even if it is Skinner who has called for behind-closed-door games, I can think of no justification for it, and the club is seriously underestimating the amount of interest there is. The fact that there is no team news or detailed match reviews is frankly bizarre.

Keep up the good work.

top1whoisman

Scout
The squad travelling to the camp in Germany:

Mary Earps
Sophie Baggaley
Safia Middleton-Patel

Millie Turner
Gemma Evans
Jayde Riviere
Evie Rabjohn
Aoife Mannion
Hannah Blundell
Maya Le Tissier

Katie Zelem
Vilde Bøe Risa
Hayley Ladd
Lisa Naalsund
Emma Watson

Alyssa Aherne
Nikita Parris
Leah Galton
Ivana Fuso
Lucia Garcia

Ella Toone
Martha Thomas
Rachel Williams
Geyse

Last edited:

Demon Barber

The squad travelling to the camp in Germany:

Mary Earps
Sophie Baggaley
Safia Middleton-Patel

Millie Turner
Gemma Evans
Jayde Riviere
Evie Rabjohn
Aoife Mannion
Hannah Blundell
Maya Le Tissier

Katie Zelem
Vilde Bøe Risa
Hayley Ladd
Lisa Naalsund
Emma Watson

Alyssa Aherne
Nikita Parris
Leah Galton
Ivana Fuso
Lucia Garcia

Ella Toone
Martha Thomas
Rachel Williams
Geyse
That is such a good squad. It's almost difficult to pick a best XI

top1whoisman

Scout
That is such a good squad. It's almost difficult to pick a best XI
Add the couple of signings we’re reportedly close to seal and yeah - a much deeper squad than last year. However there’s a lot of pressure on Riviere and Geyse to replace the output on Batlle and Russo.

Last edited:

Grande

Add the couple of signings we’re reportedly close to seal and yeah - a much deeper squad than last year. However there’s a lot of pressure on Riviere and Geyse to replace the output on Batlle and Russo.
i don’t think that is a reasonable expectation. It will have to be a team effort to compensate for that loss.

top1whoisman

Scout
i don’t think that is a reasonable expectation. It will have to be a team effort to compensate for that loss.
You’re absolutely right to be fair. But in terms of quality and options in their positions they need to hit the ground running, in my opinion.

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
I have a feeling it’s at least Skinner who wants to play behind closed doors as much as possible. I do understand and appreciate his (if it is him) point of view, but feck me it’s a global game and the club has a huge fanbase all around the world.

This is not the way to grow the sport. For all the good the club has done on the women’s side, right now it feels like they’re taking a couple of steps backwards.

But at least we’ve started to sign some proper players as I was a bit concerned about our squad before we did.

I just wish they would indeed engage and communicate more. The start of the pre season has been pathetic, in those terms.
Its even more baffling when we take into account that we have just had a Womens World Cup. Perfect time to attract more fans to the club would be to be more visible now.

top1whoisman

Scout
Although a loss is never a positive thing, looking at the lineups we've done pretty damn well, it seems. We lost 3-0 to them last pre-season and if I remember correctly, we had more or less our best players on the pitch.

United: Baggaley, Le Tissier, Ladd, Riviere (Rabjohn 46), Galton (Thomas 64), Naalsund, Garcia (Ferreira Fuso 46), Evans (Aherne 46) Geyse (Parris 46), Turner, Watson.

Goals: Galton 15, Geyse 22.

Bayern Munich: Grohs, Damnjanovic, Viggosdottier (Belloumou 70), Gwinn (Rall 63), Lohmann (Baijings 46), Eriksson (de Souza da Silva 46), Magull (Kerr 46), Naschenweng (Kett 70), Harder (Dallmann 63), Zadrazil (Hansen 70), Stanway (Schuller 46).

Goals: Harder 59, Buhl 66, Dallmann 86.

top1whoisman

Scout
Skinner:
“I am really, really happy with how the team performed.

“It was a real positive for the players. We were disciplined at times and had to be patient. We had to bide our time and jump at the right times.

“Both goals were created so well, I am really happy.”

García:
“It was tough and a big challenge for us.

“I am so happy for [Geyse]. I am so happy for her, it was a great moment. She shouted: ‘Lu, Lu, Lu at me [for the goal]’ and so I passed to her - she said thank you!”

top1whoisman

Scout
Skinner:
"To be honest, against top opposition you're always going to have chances against, but I thought we defended resolutely throughout the game. A few moments where we want to be better, but nothing but credit to every player that's gone out there. We got some really important 90s [full match] already and that's even before the last two games to come.

"From my perspective I'm really, really happy with how the team performed. I think Bayern were able to rotate two teams basically, of international quality and that's where you've got to build to if you want to be in these competitions. I'm really happy, really positive outlook on the players and in the first half we were pretty dominant.

"They play with the ball well. They play with their box and move the ball well through it. I felt we were disciplined at times, we had to be patient and bide our time but we did jump at the right times and we created two great goals. For Geyse to score it's wonderful as well for her. There's lots and lots of individual wins today - how many times can you get up to the ball, how many times can you win your 1v1 duels. All these little factors that will build for the next performance. We're obviously at the stage where we try to build for the start of the season.

"Winning the ball high up is part of what we do. We are Manchester United and we press, we are aggressive with the ball and without the ball and it shows. Even one of the best teams in the world can struggle under that type of pressure. It's a real credit to the players. We're going to learn on moments to be braver with the ball and playing through them. In second half I felt we played through them a lot more. In the first half maybe we could've been a bit less direct in our play but again - all learning curves, all things for our players to learn from and put into our next performance."

García:
"It was tough, a big challenge for us. It was a tough match, we have three weeks [of training] behind us. We are not happy with the result but we're happy with the work [we put in].

"First half we scored from the chances we had, they didn't really create a lot of chances. In the second half they finished the chances they had. We are still working on our way and waiting for our chances. I'm looking forward to the next game.

"I am so happy for Geyse, she deserved this kind of a moment. I praise her because I saw the pass. She shouted at me "Lu, Lu, Lu!" so I passed to her and she scored. And yeah, she said thank you"

Last edited:

ImmortalJoker66

Supports
Trinidad and Tobago
Although a loss is never a positive thing, looking at the lineups we've done pretty damn well, it seems. We lost 3-0 to them last pre-season and if I remember correctly, we had more or less our best players on the pitch.

United: Baggaley, Le Tissier, Ladd, Riviere (Rabjohn 46), Galton (Thomas 64), Naalsund, Garcia (Ferreira Fuso 46), Evans (Aherne 46) Geyse (Parris 46), Turner, Watson.

Goals: Galton 15, Geyse 22.

Bayern Munich: Grohs, Damnjanovic, Viggosdottier (Belloumou 70), Gwinn (Rall 63), Lohmann (Baijings 46), Eriksson (de Souza da Silva 46), Magull (Kerr 46), Naschenweng (Kett 70), Harder (Dallmann 63), Zadrazil (Hansen 70), Stanway (Schuller 46).

Goals: Harder 59, Buhl 66, Dallmann 86.

Why am I not surprised that Harder began the comeback by scoring first? She was the reason we lost the FA Cup final last season.

top1whoisman

Scout
Our penultimate match of this pre season will be shown live on MUTV.

Wednesday 13 September
12:00 BST
United vs Liverpool
@ Carrington (behind closed doors)

Demon Barber

I know this is the pre-season thread, but I have just seen that the first home game of the season v Arsenal has been switched from Sunday to Friday night (Sky) So annoyed because this means I cannot get to the match.

top1whoisman

Scout
I know this is the pre-season thread, but I have just seen that the first home game of the season v Arsenal has been switched from Sunday to Friday night (Sky) So annoyed because this means I cannot get to the match.
That sucks and I understand the annoyance of it. But for the game to evolve and grow, moving games for TV is inevitable. But like I said I totally understand it from the attending fans' point of view.

Demon Barber

That sucks and I understand the annoyance of it. But for the game to evolve and grow, moving games for TV is inevitable. But like I said I totally understand it from the attending fans' point of view.
True, the game needs to grow. It really would not be an issue for me if I still lived in Manchester, but I am in the South West now.

Back on topic - Liverpool and Spurs should be comfortable wins. It will be interesting to see the team selection/formation. I am hoping that Skinner will be a bit more brave/inventive/flexible this year.

top1whoisman

Scout
True, the game needs to grow. It really would not be an issue for me if I still lived in Manchester, but I am in the South West now.

Back on topic - Liverpool and Spurs should be comfortable wins. It will be interesting to see the team selection/formation. I am hoping that Skinner will be a bit more brave/inventive/flexible this year.
Yeah can only imagine. That's why it always takes a bit of extra effort when traveling to Manchester from Helsinki.

I wouldn't be surprised if we started both games with the XI he intends to start the first league game with. Whether anyone else have a chance to break into that XI during the season remains to be seen.

Demon Barber

Yeah can only imagine. That's why it always takes a bit of extra effort when traveling to Manchester from Helsinki.

I wouldn't be surprised if we started both games with the XI he intends to start the first league game with. Whether anyone else have a chance to break into that XI during the season remains to be seen.
If our paths cross at a game, I'll buy you a pint.

Not sure if it has been mentioned, but the Liverpool behind-closed-door is free to view on MUTV.

JB7

At risk of leeching off of your misfortune, does this mean you have a ticket going spare?

Demon Barber

At risk of leeching off of your misfortune, does this mean you have a ticket going spare?
Ha! I admire your opportunism, but I have given it to a friend - otherwise you could have gladly had it.

Demon Barber

Really looking forward to today's game and seeing our new signings feature at some point.

It's transfer deadline day tomorrow as well and I anticipate a few more ins and outs - we are still light in defence.