Uniteds January transfer business - Incoming

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
The window is open in about 6 weeks. All of this talk about the manager has been front and centre in the news.
Is this a perfect distraction for United to have been working in the background on a couple of really good signings to bolster the defence and the midfield? But would the powers that be be so bold as to have a plan?
They dont normally spend in January however its desperately needed at this point. But then ask yourself what player would actually want to come to play for United under Ole?

I am intrigued to see what happens but I very much doubt there will be any incoming signings of note. I think the business model is to do the main business in the summer.
Are we hoping against hope that there might jsut be a player to sign that can be a catalyst for this current team?

I do think we will see players outgoing but lets just talk about potential incoming here.

** Mods please move if this is in the wrong place

SER19

Trippier would be a good addition for a reasonable fee. Can't get my head around a club of our size not identifying a quality affordable option for DM. By affordable i mean not stupid Rice money. Problem spot for years

Chairman Steve

I would happily trade incoming players for a new manager at this point to be honest. A manager who’s at least a half decent modern coach himself and has good modern coaches working under him, will do wonders for us in my opinion.

owlo

I don't really want to see more players under this manager. Rather save any budget for the next one.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Trippier would be a good addition for a reasonable fee. Can't get my head around a club of our size not identifying a quality affordable option for DM. By affordable i mean not stupid Rice money. Problem spot for years
Zakaria is the latest name mentioned. Contract expires 2022, shouldn't be too expensive. Don't really rate him all that much if i'm honest. But i'd take anyone right now.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
With the manager's future unclear, I dont think the board will sanction any incoming players.

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
Such is my apathy towards the club right now, I genuinely don't care who we sign as it won't matter one bit with our mediocre management in charge and inept board.

Abraxas

I'm not sure it's smart to throw funds at a manager that the board have doubts about. Doesn't it make sense to say "you've had your lot, let's see what you can do for the remainder of the season."?

It's not as if Ole has been living in poverty. Giving him money now may help to rescue the situation but looking at some of our other signings that is a gamble that probably isn't in our favour when the manager has one foot of the door.

0le

It would be smarter to sack Ole now, give a new manager time to work with the squad and a small amount of funds for the January transfer window. Unfortunately if we do make a signing, it will be another Ole signing and if/when he goes, potentially another player that a new manager will not want.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
It would be smarter to sack Ole now, give a new manager time to work with the squad and a small amount of funds for the January transfer window. Unfortunately if we do make a signing, it will be another Ole signing and if/when he goes, potentially another player that a new manager will not want.
There will be a good chance that an Ole signing won't be wanted by Ole eventually either the track record he has.

M Bison

Supports
York City
i wouldnt spend a penny if i was the owners. I'd focus on:

- planning for Ole's exit
- planning for Pogba's exit on a free
- looking at what players contracts are expiring that could enhance the squad
- looking to offload, Jesse and Martial

Infra-red

We're probably as likely to sell as we are to buy - it appears that the season has essentially been written off by the club.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Wasn't the whole point of modernising our structure and appointing Fletcher and Murtough as Football and Technical Directors to be able to make judgement calls for the squad irrespective of which Manager is in charge.

tomaldinho1

Well we shouldn't give Ole any money regardless of if anyone leaves
Exactly this. We really need to learn from our mistakes and put it to managers to earn new players. Hindsight is everything but if you look back from day 1 under Ole to now, there has been no change in how we play in line with what he said he would focus on (high press, high work rate, young attacking team). His transfers don’t fit his system bar Bruno and any new manager coming in should first demonstrate they can coach and then we back them to the hilt.

Infra-red

Wasn't the whole point of modernising our structure and appointing Fletcher and Murtough as Football and Technical Directors to be able to make judgement calls for the squad irrespective of which Manager is in charge.
Yep, which is why the Board's reluctance to sack the manager for fear of derailing their cultural reboot at the club, is in fact a sign that the reboot has failed.

If Murtough and Fletcher can't ensure continuity, then what is the point of them?

If the 'new' Manchester United cannot in fact continue to be a 'new' Manchester United without Solskjaer in charge, then it isn't new at all.

Oranges038

I doubt there will be any coming in or leaving.

But, firstly the focus needs to be the current squad and on who needs to be offloaded and upgraded.
Pogba, Lingard, Jones, Martial and Bailly all definitley need to go. I'd probably lump Matic and Mata in there too.
AWB, Fred/McT and Maguire all need to be upgraded.
Bring back Laird for right back - forget about Trippier he is just too old at this stage.

Then buy one midfielder and one proper defender.

ROFLUTION

Glazer's have their backs to the wall imo - Newcastle will trumph anyone in the market at a certain point, so the long terms reinforcements needed should be bought now, while we're not behind them.

Bissouma or Ndidi seems the logical ones to go for.

GBBQ

Yes but I also think Ole has a veto so that ight be hard to do business without his say so.

Hoof the ball

It won't matter.

We keep signing players and they keep underperforming or not getting minutes in which to perform in the first place. What guarantee does any player have joining United under Ole? That they won't be treated like Donny or Jadon? That Ole simply won't know how to implement them to any effect. So far as any prospective player is concerned they're going to look at the manager, see how other signings have regressed, and wait for another move instead.

Abraxas

I think it's kind of accepted that our structure is something of a hybrid with the manager still retaining a big say on signing things off. Who knows whether this is an ongoing process of change or whether this is the way things are to be done. It's quite strange.

Ralaks

The players we need to get back to where we want to be, would not want to come to us right now I'm afraid. If I was someone like Kessie (just an example, no idea if he would be the right fix), I would try to stay firmly away from this circus. I wouldn't trust a player to come for the right reasons (ie not a pay check), based on what has happened (or rather not happened) this season. Just take one look at Van de Beek and Sancho. Why would I join a club not giving chances to new signings, who are young and hungry.

We need a defensive midfielder so badly however, and that is where our focus should be.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
A few will leave, that is about it. Pogba might sign a pre-contract with another club so we can drop him.

r3idy

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Marcelo Brozovic who can sign pre contract in Jan is the one answer to many questions. If he isn't the answer, then we are asking the wrong questions. I would even pay to get him early. He would improve our and Spurs Midfield by a good measure

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Well we shouldn't give Ole any money regardless of if anyone leaves
I don't really want to see more players under this manager. Rather save any budget for the next one.
With the manager's future unclear, I dont think the board will sanction any incoming players.
I would think a transfer like Trippier in/Dalot out would be pretty safe regardless. Whoever the next manager is, they're going to want an alternative to AWB who is better on the ball.

Plus you'd hope that given we now have a DOF, a technical director and a recruitment process that involves several people we wouldn't just be making transfers based on the whims of the current manager. Any transfers we make should be ones that look beyond the current incumbent.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
It would be waste of money. We should wait for summer and give that money to new manager

Matriac

I think we have to sell or send players on loan first to be able to get any incoming? (Unless we get a U-21 player.)

I don't think you're allowed to unregister players from your squad in January unless they transfer out? (or retire :nervous:)
According to our PL squad we have 25 senior squad and 9 U-21.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
I would think a transfer like Trippier in/Dalot out would be pretty safe regardless. Whoever the next manager is, they're going to want an alternative to AWB who is better on the ball.

Plus you'd hope that given we now have a DOF, a technical director and a recruitment process that involves several people we wouldn't just be making transfers based on the whims of the current manager. Any transfers we make should be ones that look beyond the current incumbent.
Maybe he doesn't want a 30 year old wingback whose strong point is being English. Don't forget that such position requires plenty of running.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Maybe he doesn't want a 30 year old wingback whose strong point is being English. Don't forget that such position requires plenty of running.
Hadn't considered his age and he's actually 31, so that's a fair point.

humdinger

Such is my apathy towards the club right now, I genuinely don't care who we sign as it won't matter one bit with our mediocre management in charge and inept board.
That's kind of where I am. We've brought in some really exciting players and done bugger all. Clearly we need midfielders but new players alone won't fix anything. The entire club needs to be shaken up.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
Marcelo Brozovic who can sign pre contract in Jan is the one answer to many questions. If he isn't the answer, then we are asking the wrong questions. I would even pay to get him early. He would improve our and Spurs Midfield by a good measure
Seems to have a good timing of tackle and comfortable on the ball. Whether Ole goes or not, for the cost, it'd hardly be a risk.

Probably go to Spurs.

AgentSmith

I doubt we will sign anyone given the state of limbo the club is currently in management wise. Trippier and Brozović would be realistic targets that would immediately improve the team though.

They’re also versatile players who would fit into a variety of different systems that would help with the continued managerial hunt I so desperately hope we’re conducting in the background. Their ages and contract situations should mean they’re obtainable if we’re willing to pay.

Tchouaméni would be a flashier transfer that we could also make if we stumped up the cash but that seems less likely given his age and the fact that Monaco are doing well in Europe.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
i wouldnt spend a penny if i was the owners. I'd focus on:

- planning for Ole's exit
- planning for Pogba's exit on a free
- looking at what players contracts are expiring that could enhance the squad
- looking to offload, Jesse and Martial
that should be happening anyway really.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
right back and midfielder are still needed just as they were in August, it’s whether the club trusts Ole to be the guy to identify them.

matsdf

Sign a DM and Trippier and our squad is pretty damn good. The DM issue is so big it's needs to be fixed regardless of the manager. Every manager would struggle with our central midfield.

Loon

:lol:
I would imagine if Solskjaer is still in situ, and gets to spend money, it will answer everyone's questions about his sacking.