Uniteds January transfer business - Incoming

atkar83

Sign a DM and Trippier and our squad is pretty damn good. The DM issue is so big it's needs to be fixed regardless of the manager. Every manager would struggle with our central midfield.
This. We're setting up our next manager to struggle initially with this midfield as it is. There isn't a good formation that is effective and makes use of this bloated roster

Coops73

I don't think there will be any significant signings, at least incoming ones unless there will be a few outgoings to trim down the frankly bloated first team squads. Plus, that would give more opportunities to the younger players like Elanga and Mejbri.

Perhaps, Trippier to give AWB some (proper) competition at RB slot if not proper rotation and rest to the latter. For DM, if the rumour of FD Jong is for sale, someone like that should be on United's radar.
Unfortunately the situation the VDB finds himself in may well put the likes of De Jong off coming to United.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
In my opinion there's two professional viable courses of action here.

A- We back Ole till the end of the season which means a public statement from the club followed by signings in January
B- We sack Ole, we bring a new manager in and we try to support the guy the best we can which include with us buying him a player or two if possible.

What I think these spineless board will do is to stay quiet, keep Ole as much as possible, they won't back him in the January transfer market and then they will sack him in the end of the season if he doesn't make it to top 4. This will be a problem as

A- Ole Inners will claim that Ole was set to fail. They might not push for Ole to be reinstated but the door for former players to take over will not be shut
B- The season will be ruined.
C- Pogba, VDB and Jesse will probably leave

Coops73

In my opinion there's two professional viable courses of action here.

A- We back Ole till the end of the season which means a public statement from the club followed by signings in January
B- We sack Ole, we bring a new manager in and we try to support the guy the best we can which include with us buying him a player or two if possible.

What I think these spineless board will do is to stay quiet, keep Ole as much as possible, they won't back him in the January transfer market and then they will sack him in the end of the season if he doesn't make it to top 4. This will be a problem as

A- Ole Inners will claim that Ole was set to fail. They might not push for Ole to be reinstated but the door for former players to take over will not be shut
B- The season will be ruined.
C- Pogba, VDB and Jesse will probably leave
Sounds about right.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
I don't really want to see more players under this manager. Rather save any budget for the next one.
This. I love Ole but please no he’s a terrible manager and if Varane Ronaldo and Sancho don’t help then signing Mbappe and Kante ain’t going to do it either.

DevTheRed

In fairness there is a transfer committee and although Ole has a veto he is far from solely responsible for the signings that have been made. In the case of Sancho I would also argue that it is far to soon to be making judgements, he had next to no pre season, was ill when he did arrive and we are barely a third of the way into the season. Lots of examples of players taking time to settle in before they kick on.

In terms of spending money. We don't need to splash the cash and every time I see us linked with a winger I cringe because we have about 7 fighting over 2 spots as it is but if it is a sensible low cost deal for a player that fits an obvious glaring need such as Trippier for RB or Brozovic to give us an actual CDM then I would not be against it because even if Ole goes they improve the squad and will still be utilized by his successor.
I agree with the Sancho point, I think he's class, he will turn good, I'm just confused by Ole's reluctance to use him when we've needed a goal. Yeah we have far too many forwards, it would be nice to let one or two go in Jan to give the likes of Amad and Elanga some minutes. I think there are some bargains to be had, as you said Brozovic would be a great shout who's contract is up in the summer, and I think Kessie is there to be had too.. both would be massive upgrades to our midfield.

Redfrog

Glazer's have their backs to the wall imo - Newcastle will trumph anyone in the market at a certain point, so the long terms reinforcements needed should be bought now, while we're not behind them.

Bissouma or Ndidi seems the logical ones to go for.
Nah, they don’t care. They are accountants. They only care about profit. We will still be profitable being fifth or sixth.
We will just be like Arsenal.

KranjskaKlobasa

I think that any panic buys in winter transfer window will be possible only if there are some outgoings. As we are notoriously bad at offloading players I don't see anyone changing kits for a transfer fee in January.

Summer window should be a lot busier as we have quite few outgoings (source https://www.transfermarkt.com/manchester-united/vertragsende/verein/985 ) - Pogba, Mata, Lingard, Cavani, Chong, Grant. I don't see anyone from the list very keen on signing contract extension, so that means a few additional spare quid for weekly wages.

RkkMan

Nah, they don’t care. They are accountants. They only care about profit. We will still be profitable being fifth or sixth.
We will just be like Arsenal.
Unless UEFA decides to add an extra CL slot we won't be anywhere near as profitable now as when we are out of the CL for 3/4 seasons in a row. If the current trophy drought continues even sponsors will be put off and we'd have to settle for companies that bring half the revenue of the current ones which just brings down the value of the club.
Even Arsenal are trying to make amends for the years they've missed CL football because they've been badly hit financially

Wilt

Don’t see the Glazers giving Ole anymore transfer funds. May try to offload a few players.

RkkMan

No investments. In january or the summer. By july, Can see lingard, DVB, pogba going.

At the start of next season pereira will be back rotating with fernandes and maybe mata and we will all be scratching our heads going ‘how did this happen’. Mcfred matic will be our deeper midfield options
Maybe January but you're waffling with the summer bit. The last time Utd went a window without signing anyone was in the 80s, pre Fergie. Unless we get a transfer ban that's not happening even under The Glazers just a question of whether we sign the right players.
Also:
1. Pereira has regularly talked about wanting more first team football as a starter for 2 years he's not coming back to be benched. Either he gets loaned again till his contract expires or he's bought permanently
2. Mata will be 34 and has wanted to go back to Spain after the death of his mother. Don't think he pushes something that personal another year
3. Not even a club as incompetent as Utd will have McFred and Matic as the ONLY CM options for a 50-60 game a season period after Pogba, Lingard and DVB leave. We'll sign a CM question is whether we sign two or if we make the right signings there not if we make one

Gentleman Jim

It's absolutely amazing! Perfect even.
Supports
city
With the likelihood of Ole leaving his input into any inbound transfers should be minimal.
If there's an outstanding candidate for a problem area the execs should take it into their own hands to acquire the player anyhow and by the time Ole goes the player will have had time to settle into their new surroundings.
Maybe someone like Bissouma would be useful for your midfield.?

RatPack

Trippier will be an expensive short term solution. I am not a fan of this.
Our biggest problem is the lack of a DM. Has been the biggest problem for 3 years. Why do CB that play well for country play like crap in United. No protection from midfield.
Please just:
- Get a new manager.
- Get a proven DM
- Sell Pogba at any price they can get or send him to train with himself for the rest of the season.
- Sell Martial at the best price possible. No way they will get a better price in the summer.
- Sell Lingard if an acceptable fee can be agreed. Otherwise keep him until summer and wish him the best of luck.
- Get Jones of the books if at all possible.

-

croadyman

Manager would be the most important one, stop putting out spin targets to try and deflect our attention

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Why sign Trippier when we could recall Laird from Swansea? If we sign Trippier he goes further down down the line for right backs
Youth is not the focus. We need players who are at their peak, who can come in and do their job immediately, to save Ole's neck.
We don't need to buy any more players - the squad is huge and under the right manager would be good enough to challenge for all trophies.
Under Fergie, we'd be thinking about winning the CL and league double.

Andersons Dietician

I was under the impression that recruitment is done through some sort of committee with long term plans in affect. So if a player they have been looking at or someone of interest pops up for a position they feel needs reinforcing, I don’t think Oles position prevents that from happening.

However who really do you get in January? Its just not a good time to shop for the elite unless they are under special circumstances like running out a contract.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
Maybe January but you're waffling with the summer bit. The last time Utd went a window without signing anyone was in the 80s, pre Fergie. Unless we get a transfer ban that's not happening even under The Glazers just a question of whether we sign the right players.
Also:
1. Pereira has regularly talked about wanting more first team football as a starter for 2 years he's not coming back to be benched. Either he gets loaned again till his contract expires or he's bought permanently
2. Mata will be 34 and has wanted to go back to Spain after the death of his mother. Don't think he pushes something that personal another year
3. Not even a club as incompetent as Utd will have McFred and Matic as the ONLY CM options for a 50-60 game a season period after Pogba, Lingard and DVB leave. We'll sign a CM question is whether we sign two or if we make the right signings there not if we make one
I am not sure they will.

poleglass red

Hard to sign anyone in Jan when prospective players have a fair idea that Ole is on borrowed time.

RkkMan

I am not sure they will.
DM has become an Achilles heel like the 10 role in summer 2019. Problem became too glaring we signed one in January. The pattern is very similar now at DM the problem won't go past summer 2022 I'm very confident about that even under this regime

Kag

This. We're setting up our next manager to struggle initially with this midfield as it is. There isn't a good formation that is effective and makes use of this bloated roster
The midfield is a blight on the Premier League and any manager that comes in is going to need a huge amount of financial backing in order to sort it out.

Idxomer

The midfield is a blight on the Premier League and any manager that comes in is going to need a huge amount of financial backing in order to sort it out.
Not necessarily, there are a lot of good midfielders coming to the end of their contracts in the next year and a half who could shore up this United midfield under the right manager.

Jezpeza

Also:
disagree. We spent heavily this summer, the wage bill is up 25%. Pogba and lingard will go for free. Pereira worth peanuts. Mata may leave for free. DVB we might get our money back on. Certainly not a profit and little to reinvest. So you are talking 40m plus whatever the Glazers want to spend. And we will need essentially three starting quality midfielders 2 to bench mcfred and one to rotate with Bruno. They will cost 60-80m a piece. Not happening.

Amir

Letting Solskjaer sign midfielders might not serve the next manager well either. We'll just have to let him make his own decisions. Doesn't look like we'll appoint anyone until the summer anyway.

Rocksy

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
Trippier? You dodged that bullet in the summer, and now your putting yourselves back in front of it. Not that he’s really bad but Laird would be a much better option to push AWB. I actually think a top coach could do something with AWB, even if it was as a back up in a back 3. I don’t think you can get a top midfielder in January, though Brozovic might be doable. The best thing you could do is get a new coach and focus on making the squad smaller.

AussieDevil

Spend the money on replacing the manager. Recall Laird, get a pre-contract sorted with Brozovic.

RkkMan

disagree. We spent heavily this summer, the wage bill is up 25%. Pogba and lingard will go for free. Pereira worth peanuts. Mata may leave for free. DVB we might get our money back on. Certainly not a profit and little to reinvest. So you are talking 40m plus whatever the Glazers want to spend. And we will need essentially three starting quality midfielders 2 to bench mcfred and one to rotate with Bruno. They will cost 60-80m a piece. Not happening.
Of course we won't buy 3 midfielders at best it'll be two if VDB leaves but I personally think he'll just go on loan in January and come back in the summer when Ole's gone as the "Pogba replacement" just so that we buy one CM. Hannibal and Shoretire will likely be promoted to fill in the Bruno back up.

RkkMan

Trippier? You dodged that bullet in the summer, and now your putting yourselves back in front of it. Not that he’s really bad but Laird would be a much better option to push AWB. I actually think a top coach could do something with AWB, even if it was as a back up in a back 3. I don’t think you can get a top midfielder in January, though Brozovic might be doable. The best thing you could do is get a new coach and focus on making the squad smaller.
I disagree on Trippier he was the best RB in La Liga last season and still playing at a decent level. Laird is talented but he's one or two seasons away from being ready for the Utd first team. He needs another loan but this time at the higher end of the Championship or one of the lower PL teams. Trippier is the perfect short term option to compete with AWB in that time.
AWB is solid defensively but modern day fullbacks need a lot more in their locker and AWB unfortunately falls horrendously short compared to other RBs his age group

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Not necessarily, there are a lot of good midfielders coming to the end of their contracts in the next year and a half who could shore up this United midfield under the right manager.
I agree.

The midfield can comfortably be upgraded IMO. We can take the costly approach by targeting Declan Rice, or take the more measured approach where we look to create a functioning midfield by signing players who are coming to the end of their contracts. The below are just some of the players who are coming to the end of their contracts in 2022/2023.

Boubacar Kamara
Maxence Caqueret
Marcelo Brozovic

GueRed

I highly doubt there will be any big moves in January.

Ole's on his way out anyway. The board will wait till the summer.

Jezpeza

Of course we won't buy 3 midfielders at best it'll be two if VDB leaves but I personally think he'll just go on loan in January and come back in the summer when Ole's gone as the "Pogba replacement" just so that we buy one CM. Hannibal and Shoretire will likely be promoted to fill in the Bruno back up.
how many youth players actually make it here? Rashford, Greenwood, Mctominay, Lingard and Henderson are the only youth academy players that are in our first team picture, and two of them made it by extensive loan periods. I think too many people overate what our youth players are going to achieve - was only 5 minutes ago that Chong was going to be the backup to rashford down the left and angel gomes was the next biggest thing. Seem to remember one poster swearing demetri Mitchell would oust Shaw. I wouldnt factor any of the youth players into anything - if they are good enough they just play. You look at players like Fabregas, Bellingham, Greenwood, Rashford, TAA. Youth players who genuinely turn out to be world class, they were playing first team football regularly by the age of 16-18.

that said i hope they both turn into absolute tanks but its definitely hope rather than expectation

Chicharo

Don't expect anything special, even if OGS leaves. Perhaps,some loans, maybe Lingard will leave and that's it
To expect that we will actually buy a DM is but a "dream within a dream".
First of all, we don't know who will be our manager.
Second of all it's difficult to get a player who could change things (we seem to be incapable to do it even during summer window) is unlikely. Evra and Vidic transfers happen once in only God knows how many years , and let's not forget they needed 7-8 months to become what they became

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Glazer's have their backs to the wall imo - Newcastle will trumph anyone in the market at a certain point, so the long terms reinforcements needed should be bought now, while we're not behind them.

Bissouma or Ndidi seems the logical ones to go for.
Not anymore I would have thought

Nytram Shakes

cannot lust
I don’t see us making any significant signings In January. Maybe is Ole is gone by then a new manager may get 1 signing

But really considering the club has spent more than it’s earned the last few years more spending would be a bit reckless