United's talented youth level signings this window

K Stand Knut

The one and only reason these signings have been made is for profit.

If collectively they make 150 appearances, I’d be surprised.

The club have finally cottoned on to what Chelsea and city have been doing for years. Hoovering up youngsters and selling them for huge profit.

Falcow

And to add to this: while some of these are really just cheap punts on talented youngsters who may or may not make it, we apparently paid something in the region of €30m for Amad Traoré. That is a serious outlay for an 18-year-old with 3 (three) Serie A appearances to his name.

I don't mind United taking risks like that; he could turn out to be a bargain after all. But at the moment I can't really say the club deserves credit for it. Let's wait and see.
So they dont deserve credit when they do and dont deserve credit when they dont. Got it.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Our youth system is our saving grace tbh. Kind of sad/funny to think but apart from midfield and left back, our quality in starters and depth wouldn't look all that different if we sold nobody post Sir Alex and didn't buy anyone (apart from the signings into the youth team).

Gk - de gea, henderson
Right back - rafael, laird,williams
Cb - Evans, Smalling, Keane, Tuanzebe, Jones, Mengi
Attack - Greenwood, Rashford, Zaha, Januzaj, Lingard

I wish I was joking but I can't seriously say that any of these groups are clearly worse than whatever we've brought and sold since Sir Alex left.

Its basically Rafael vs Wan Bissaka (meh either way), Evans, Smalling and Keane vs Maguire, Lindelof and Bailly (not convinced we have a better group now vs then), and then Martial vs Zaha, but with the addition of Januzaj as right wing depth.

Siorac

So they dont deserve credit when they do and dont deserve credit when they dont. Got it.
They deserve credit when they do it and the signing actually works out. It's a quite simple concept.

Jonesno.8

With Amad, will he continue with Atalanta until Jan presumably? Be good to see a bit of him until then.

Gopher Brown

You forgot Pye and Hugill, who have looked impressive so far, and Hansen-Aarøen who some might argue is the most talented of the bunch. Ten youth players in one season is a serious statement of intent and makes for very exciting times. Our U-23 in th next 12/18 months should be something special.
Not exotic sounding enough. Will never be exciting until name change.

Moston Red

Formerly Giggs1973
We do seem to be investing in a future squad over the current squad. Maybe we are forward planning. Put up with a year or two of mid table mediocrity and grow a great squad without spending 100s of millions on current inform stars. Who knows! There must be a plan somewhere!

croadyman

With Amad, will he continue with Atalanta until Jan presumably? Be good to see a bit of him until then.
Should have got him when the window first opened then he would have his work permit virtually sorted by now

Falcow

They deserve credit when they do it and the signing actually works out. It's a quite simple concept.
You just said in your earlier post "But at the moment I can't really say the club deserves credit for it."

Yet now you are saying "They deserve credit when they do it."

Well they did it, they signed those players! So credit to the club for doing it.

If they develop further you can credit the players and coaching staff for that.

Stop talking out of your arse and just give the club some credit where it's due.

croadyman

Feel we lack an able backup to Mason who is able to slot straight in on the RW

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Those Pellistri and Traore signings are encouraging. I have been of the opinion that we should be mainly focusing on building a team that can compete 3-4 years from now because our squad deficiencies are too significant to be more than a borderline top 4 team currently.

Only issue is I fear whether this club can really maintain a long term strategy nowadays. We have made too many short sighted moves to give me confidence that this can become our focus.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
I loathe to call it the Chelsea approach, but, well that is a good way to describe it
It roughly resembles the Chelsea approach, except for the fact that these players actually have a chance of playing for the first team (transfer ban aside)

AFC NimbleThumb

Aside from helping everyone with their Football Manager save in the next few years unless we turn our academy into a Chelsea-esque money maker more of these players will not make it then do.

Trophy Room

Conceptually and in principle, this is the only sustainable long term approach given current prices for established stars in the transfer market.

Siorac

You just said in your earlier post "But at the moment I can't really say the club deserves credit for it."

Yet now you are saying "They deserve credit when they do it."

Well they did it, they signed those players! So credit to the club for doing it.

If they develop further you can credit the players and coaching staff for that.

Stop talking out of your arse and just give the club some credit where it's due.
Jesus, man, that clause starting with 'and' in my post was quite fecking important. You can't just ignore it to twist my words, this isn't a political campaign.

By your 'logic' the club deserves credit for signing Bebe. The club deserves credit if it turns out the scouts did their job well and the player can actually do a job for United.

Falcow

Jesus, man, that clause starting with 'and' in my post was quite fecking important. You can't just ignore it to twist my words, this isn't a political campaign.

By your 'logic' the club deserves credit for signing Bebe. The club deserves credit if it turns out the scouts did their job well and the player can actually do a job for United.
In fairness Bebe was never ever a player coveted by any club in Europe like Garnacho is or the Barca and Real full backs we have signed. Anyway let's hope they turn out to be superstars.

SWE-Chucky

Supports
AIK Stockholm
We have never had this much talent in our u23 and u18. I dont think people really understand how highly rated some of the talents we have signe the last 2 maybe 3 years are. Some of them COULD become not just an ok player, more rather big stars, im not just convinced with we will be able to keep them if they show when they are 20-21 and still haven't signed the big contract with us, we might end up in many Angel Gomez situations.

We need to give the long contracts as soon as we see that they are taking steps in right direction when it comes to developing. Give them 5+1 year, with a small wage (acceptable ofc) and that is heavily based on performance (examples 20 league games, first team goal, minuts played for the first team etc etc). Giving a talent like these we are bringing in right now that is not longer then 2-3 years could give many Pique situations, most of these boys joined from big clubs and if they develop extremely good and fast, they won't sign the bigger contract then. They will probably jusy play out the contract and return to there big clubs and signing and big sign on contract with good salary and playing in their own county, live in close to their families and for example the 2 fullpacks we signed from Real Madrid and Barcelona, won't rather play there with all mentioned benefits + winning titles (because right now, it doesn't we will win PL or CL for many years (if don't sell the club to someone that allows the club to be a football club again and not business.

In that way we won't risk loosing them, and if they really wanna leave if they reach their full potential, then we can cash in.

dinostar77

I know it does not help the present situation at United or improve the current starting 11, but shouldn't somebody at United get some credit for bringing in a lot of talented youngsters?

Man Utd have been very aggressive in the youth-level transfer market: Marc Jurado (Barca), Alejandro Garnacho (Atletico), Charlie McNeill ( Man City), Álvaro Fernandez (Real Madrid), Willy Kambwala (Sochaux), Amad Traore ( Atalanta) and Facundo Pellistei ( Penarol)
It seems to me as if Utd have accepted to see out the Klopp/Guardiola era and are planning to have 5 or 6 come through the youth ranks in 3/4 years time and hope to build a team that can challenge for titles then. Or im wrong.

032Devil

This could be the new stategy of the Glazers/Board. Buy more cheaper, younger players in the hope that a few of them will turn into £50-70m worth (each). This could be way around the United tax that so many other clubs add when United come knocking. If United in this vein consistantly then it might work but it is a gamble.

STYLOISRED

The club have finally cottoned on to what Chelsea and city have been doing for years. Hoovering up youngsters and selling them for huge profit.
The difference between us and Chelsea though, is that we have always tried to give academy players a path to the first team no matter how limited they may be which is why we have the likes of Lingard lasting so long. Now we have actually realized it's better to buy not just one or two remarkable talents but alot thereby increasing our chances of hitting gold (Greenwood).

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
We have just signed a 18 year old with three appearances for 30 million. Brewster, Odoi, Sancho etc are all being linked with moves WAY above market value. Wolves had to sign a teenage FM prospect for above 50 million.

signing some of the best and brightest young players in the world is a great idea. Well done United.

K Stand Knut

The difference between us and Chelsea though, is that we have always tried to give academy players a path to the first team no matter how limited they may be which is why we have the likes of Lingard lasting so long. Now we have actually realized it's better to buy not just one or two remarkable talents but alot thereby increasing our chances of hitting gold (Greenwood).
that maybe so but I think everyone is getting a big excited about the youngsters. The chances if one of them hitting the heights of a Ronaldo are slim, let alone 3 or 4.

Still, it’s the hope that keeps us going.

Or kills us

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
if we were to make no new signings for next 3 or 4 years, and all our promising young talents fulfilled their potential, what might team look like?

@Adnan

Adnan

Talent Spotter
if we were to make no new signings for next 3 or 4 years, and all our promising young talents fulfilled their potential, what might team look like?

@Adnan
Take this with a pinch of salt.

Henderson

Laird---Maguire---Mengi---Carreras

Mejbri---Garner---Bruno

Diallo---Martial---Elanga

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Take this with a pinch of salt.

Henderson

Laird---Maguire*---Mengi---Carreras

Mejbri---Garner---Bruno**

Diallo---Martial***---Elanga
Interesting. Lots to look forward to!

* - could also be Willy?
** - doit we have any playmaker prospects?
*** - could be Greenwood or McNeill?

Presumably Chong, Pellistei and others mentioned in OP could also feature?

Which of these are you most confident about?

Adnan

Talent Spotter

* - could also be Willy?

Big Will could easily make it, just need to see him play abit more. But it didn't stop me selecting Carreras at LB after watching a 20 minute highlights vid.. ;)

Mejbri is a playmaker and we also have young, Hansen Aaroen coming through amongst others.

How did I forget Mason..:houllier:

The bench will be strong and I can see Pellistri rotating with Bruno with McNeill potentially also in the mix.

I'm most confident about Laird if he can stay clear of injuries followed by Mejbri. And there's several others I need to see more before making a judgement. But I could be wrong because it's tough to predict a young players future projection.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies

* - could also be Willy?

I'm not the OP but we don't know a right lot about Kambwala yet he only just signed so he hasn't got the chance to play yet, also from his lineup we've barely seen anything of Carreras and Diallo. It's far too early to make any concrete claim about their potential, Carreras did have a very good debut though. Our best CB prospects are Mengi and Fish currently, Bernard's also started the season showing good promise.

Gomes was by far the best playmaker in the academy although he's moved on. Isak Hansen-Aaroen comes with a huge reputation although he's another newcomer so will need to see more of him. Mejbri started as an 8 but seems to be more of an 8/10 hybrid, I imagine his reputation precedes him, he's looking very promising. Shoretire while young made his U19 Youth League debut at 14 and Omari Forson was considered something of a prodigy when he was younger, they're ones to keep your eye on.

I know this won't be a popular opinion but I don't foresee Martial being here in the long term, I think Greenwood will surpass him as a player within the next 2 years if he continues his current trajectory.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
I'm not the OP but we don't know a right lot about Kambwala yet he only just signed so he hasn't got the chance to play yet, also from his lineup we've barely seen anything of Carreras and Diallo. It's far too early to make any concrete claim about their potential, Carreras did have a very good debut though. Our best CB prospects are Mengi and Fish currently, Bernard's also started the season showing good promise.

Gomes was by far the best playmaker in the academy although he's moved on. Isak Hansen-Aaroen comes with a huge reputation although he's another newcomer so will need to see more of him. Mejbri started as an 8 but seems to be more of an 8/10 hybrid, I imagine his reputation precedes him, he's looking very promising. Shoretire while young made his U19 Youth League debut at 14 and Omari Forson was considered something of a prodigy when he was younger, they're ones to keep your eye on.

I know this won't be a popular opinion but I don't foresee Martial being here in the long term, I think Greenwood will surpass him as a player within the next 2 years if he continues his current trajectory.
interesting and thanks for the educative commentary. There's something about Willy that is so unique and exciting.

Think Im gonna start watching alot more of the U23s alot more as the first team is really toxic and dressing right now.

Red4Life_#7

Do you have any figures on this? I mean how much profit they have made? Cheers!

It seems to me as if Utd have accepted to see out the Klopp/Guardiola era and are planning to have 5 or 6 come through the youth ranks in 3/4 years time and hope to build a team that can challenge for titles then. Or im wrong.
Solskjaer has been talking about building for a while. IMO I would say they are trying to close the gap now, but the availbility of players and prices are not allowing them to do as well as they hoped for. United are trying to change the rep of being spanked in the market.

Buying the best young players show they know it's a process. They are building a team for 3-4 years time like you said. This is a different project to LVG/JM, they tried to get instant success in the era of overpaying.

This could be the new stategy of the Glazers/Board. Buy more cheaper, younger players in the hope that a few of them will turn into £50-70m worth (each). This could be way around the United tax that so many other clubs add when United come knocking. If United in this vein consistantly then it might work but it is a gamble.
It's a gamble for sure, but it worked with players like Ronaldo, Rooney, Nani and Rafael etc The United tax is worrying, we've been used by players wanting new contracts at their clubs and clubs wanting a payday way too much over the past 7 years.

meamth

interesting and thanks for the educative commentary. There's something about Willy that is so unique and exciting.

Think Im gonna start watching alot more of the U23s alot more as the first team is really toxic and dressing right now.
It's the fans that is toxic.

londonredmaniac

I suffer delusions of grandeur
It's good to see, and should be seen as an entirely separate process to the absolute disgrace of a window looking for immediate improvements.

I like the idea of moving for extremely highly rated youth players. They won't all make it, it would be naive to think so...but hopefully we see a crop of genuinely talented young players who can be key to our success in years to come.

londonredmaniac

I suffer delusions of grandeur
It's the fans that is toxic.
Tbf, that is nonsense by in large, and it's sad to hear United fans turning on each other. The board and owners must be pissing themselves.

Yeah we have our share like most big clubs, but toxic is not a term I'd apply to the majority of our genuine fam base.

meamth

So, its okay to get embarrassed at home because its 3 games in the season?
No, it's not okay. Of course. I'm mad, of course,

What's not okay is too post new threads every day about changing captains, and sacking ole.

romufc

No, it's not okay. Of course. I'm mad, of course,

What's not okay is too post new threads every day about changing captains, and sacking ole.
I get that, because of this international break it seems worse than it is.

We really needed a game to get that one out the system tbh.