Uno Draft: QF - Moby vs P-nut

Who will win the match based on all the players at their peaks?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!

Moby Tactics

Formation: 4-2-3-1. Team is based around the mouth watering front four with flying wingers down both flanks, a mercurial playmaker and one of the most dangerous strikers of all time. We will play on quick breaks and swift transitions having quality ball players all over the pitch and get the ball forward as soon as possible.

CB Pair: Complimentary soft-hard combo. Alan Hansen will be the ball playing CB from the back, never too adventurous with his forward runs but plays the ball out with tremendous ease and brings in some world class reading of the game to organise the back four. Paired with him is the colossal defender Paul McGrath, an excellent defender on the ball in his own right but also a giant physically and in the air, while being a tremendous athlete to match some of the attacks on show.

Fullbacks: Bixente Lizarazu mans the left flank, a very complete and balanced defender having never ending stamina and work rate, able to tuck in to form a solid backline when needed and also overlap constantly when the team attacks and provide width down the flank. On the right is Danny McGrain, the legendary Scot was not too dissimilar from Lizarazu in terms of the defense-attack quotient that he brings in, top marker at the back and a workhorse down the flank.

Central Midfield: The tireless and dominating Italian Marco Tardelli will be running the midfield from the middle, one of the greatest two-way threats in the game and a massive big game player, bringing never ending reserves of stamina and tenacity, breaking up the opposition attacks as well as contributing in driving forward with the ball when the team attacks. On the transition he will be a massive weapon breaking from midfield. Next to him is the Irish legend, Johnny Giles. Another combative presence in midfield, Giles formed a legendary partnership at Leeds with Billy Bremner and provided tons of creativity, guile and composure in midfield, and he should work well with Tardelli in this team. Both midfielders would work tremendously hard off the ball and stifle the opposition core, while capable of spraying the ball forward or driving with it on the break. Giles has a pretty decent goalscoring record during his time at Leeds, with over a 100 goals to his name.

Wide Men: No introduction needed for the two wingers, both GOATs in their positions, in their own individual style of play. On the left is Dragan Dzajic, one of the greatest dribblers and crossers the game has seen, slithering past defenders making huge inroads into the opposition, he will be seeing a lot of the ball in this game, with no other similarly ball dominant ball players to disrupt his rhythm and would be a key presence in the attack throughout the game. On the other side is Luis Figo, hugely industrious and hard working, and an absolutely unstoppable player going forward, he will be bringing his pin point passing and crossing, close control and dribbling as well his long range threat and shooting to full effect in terms of unlocking the defense. The two wingers would be constantly stretching teams out wide, creating space for the central players to take dangerous positions and get on the scoresheet from their service throughout the game.

#10 and #9: Michael Laudrup will be the puppet master of the team, one of the greatest passers of all time, with the ability to cut through any defense at will he will be linking the midfield and attack and have a free roaming role as an attacking midfielder to hurt the opposition as soon as a chance arrives. He will be feeding none other than Thierry Henry. The electrifying Frenchman who is one of the greatest goalscorers of all time, will be relishing the service he will receive from the three players behind him. Henry made a great partnership with Bergkamp at Arsenal and would be enjoying a similar telepathic relationship with another creative genius in Laudrup. And similarly, the two wingers out wide would readily combine with Henry and Laudrup in terms of adding a lot of fluidity to the game and opening up the opposition defense with their passing and movement, while creating loads of space for the frontman to attack. Henry's pace along with Figo and Dzajic running on the counter against a backpeddling defense would be absolute carnage and we will look to engineer that in this game.

Overall, the team boasts of a very solid core in defense with all four defenders having huge credentials to their names and tons of consistency throughout their massive body of work. Supported by the combative midfield duo, the front four should be able to do their job and should be able to provide a great mix of creativity, dynamism and directness needed to win this game.

P-nut TACTICS

Tactics: Counter attacking, deep defensive line with a half court press.

DEFENCE

Same as last game, both full backs playing modern full back roles, Maicon overlapping Beckham and Marcelo reunited with CR7. Vidic and Ferdinand back to their best ever partnerships.

MIDFIELD

Schweinsteiger takes on his 2014 WC role in playing much deeper than previously and massively limiting his B2B style he's known for. Diarra uses his athleticism to press within our own half.
Charlton is the midfielder with license to push forward most often and support Mbappe, he'll also help with the midfield battle at times given his all encompassing style.

On the flanks Beckham and Ronaldo have the same roles as last game. Ronaldo will play much higher up the field with Beckham tucked in to aid the midfield and allow him to use his range of passing.

ATTACK

Mbappe is playing in his best position, using his blistering pace to get in behind the defenders on counter attacks, there is hardly anyone quicker in world football.

GodShaveTheQueen

We mean it man, we love our queen!
@Moby

How do you see Henry with Dzajic and Figo? Under using of the wingers' best assets?

Of course, Laudrup with Henry is super tasty.

Pnut's midfield looks so much better to me from last game.

I'll make the usual Vidic against a pacy striker draft sheep point I guess.

Of course, same could be said on other side as lack of pace was Hansen' weakness.

The flanks are so even. You have Beckham helping out against a great flank but then Figo helping out against another great one. Very close to a draw for me.

Last edited:

willhse456

Henry with Laudrup :drool:

I know Mbappe has become a draft regular of sorts, but I'm still not convinced about his ability in an all-time context.

If we take the 3 year peak period as standard then where does he fit in? Can perhaps understand it for the first round, but not in the quarter finals.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
Henry with Laudrup :drool:

I know Mbappe has become a draft regular of sorts, but I'm still not convinced about his ability in an all-time context.

If we take the 3 year peak period as standard then where does he fit in? Can perhaps understand it for the first round, but not in the quarter finals.
18/19 (Ongoing) - P 38 G 33 A 16
17/18 - P 46 G 21 A 15
16/17 - P 44 G 26 A 14
Overall - P 128 G 80 A 45 G&A 125

His stats stack up perfectly well, especially considering much of that 17/18 season was playing as RW for PSG.

P-Nut

Digging into this a bit deeper I've got the obvious weak link of Diarra in midfield, however he's helped out with Charlton being capable of dropping into midfield and helping out massively.

I've still got the more obvious route goal again with CR on the end of Beckham's crosses. There is no monster centre backs this time to pose problems for him and he should be able to get a least a couple here.

P-Nut

Don't think enough has been made of Ronaldo Vs McGrain and McGrath here. You've got possibly the best crosser of a ball the game has ever seen, finding a player with unrivalled aerial ability. And he's going up against McGrain who isn't a tall full back and McGrain whose peak came after his knees had gone and would struggle here.

Expect this to happen quite often...
(Ignore the cringy title and music)

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
I'm not a fan again of Beckham in a 4231. I think a 4411 with Charlton on the left with CR7 off Mbappe would be more balanced and very suited to a counter-attacking system.

P-Nut

I'm not a fan again of Beckham in a 4231. I think a 4411 with Charlton on the left with CR7 off Mbappe would be more balanced and very suited to a counter-attacking system.
It's not really a normal 4231, just hard to illustrate it with just a graphic. Charlton would be playing deeper than your usual #10 in order to help the midfield. Ronaldo would be playing higher than usual to get on the end of Beckham's crosses and Beckham himself would be playing deeper due to Maicon constantly overlapping.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
It's not really a normal 4231, just hard to illustrate it with just a graphic. Charlton would be playing deeper than your usual #10 in order to help the midfield. Ronaldo would be playing higher than usual to get on the end of Beckham's crosses and Beckham himself would be playing deeper due to Maicon constantly overlapping.
Could you show me a graphic of a general shape out of possession and in possession please? I think it will help me understand what you're doing better.

P-Nut

This isn't perfect due to the colours, but it shows the general gist. In defence you'd have Beckham as the bottom green player, helping the Maicon against Dzajic. CR would be the other green player staying high up the pitch. Mbappe at the tip of the diamond displayed stays high ready to spring forward, with Charlton dropping deeper when required.

On the opposite side it would be a different story, Schweinsteiger would be the one to track wide with Figo, allowing Charlton to drop into midfield and Beckham to tuck in as well. CR would hold his position high up the pitch and allow the full back to go if he chose to.

In possession it would likely look a bit like this...

Charlton would have license to get further up the field with Beckham staying deeper and CR pushing much higher.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates

This isn't perfect due to the colours, but it shows the general gist. In defence you'd have Beckham as the bottom green player, helping the Maicon against Dzajic. CR would be the other green player staying high up the pitch. Mbappe at the tip of the diamond displayed stays high ready to spring forward, with Charlton dropping deeper when required.

On the opposite side it would be a different story, Schweinsteiger would be the one to track wide with Figo, allowing Charlton to drop into midfield and Beckham to tuck in as well. CR would hold his position high up the pitch and allow the full back to go if he chose to.

In possession it would likely look a bit like this...

Charlton would have license to get further up the field with Beckham staying deeper and CR pushing much higher.
Thanks for that. It looks like it's a 4411 out of possession and a diamond in possession. Interesting setup and looks like it would work.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
Been in workshops while day.
Dont think there's much to add to the OP. Pretty simple to visualize how that team will work.
It was a joke moby.

Winning a draft without saying a word would be a brilliant achievement actually. You blew it now.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Love Moby's team, but in this instance I can see Schweinsteiger, Charlton and Beckham wrestling meaningful control to swamp the midfield and limit the amount of ball that gorgeous front four can enjoy.

P-Nut

Think this game highlighted one of the problems with the subs having to play in luck based drafts. This would have been a much more interesting game without Diarra stinking up the place

willhse456

Think this game highlighted one of the problems with the subs having to play in luck based drafts. This would have been a much more interesting game without Diarra stinking up the place
I like the subs in second round, adds another tactical element. Having to decide whether to risk playing both in first round or one in each etc is quite interesting.

P-Nut

I like the subs in second round, adds another tactical element. Having to decide whether to risk playing both in first round or one in each etc is quite interesting.
I think it works perfectly in normal drafts, but in luck based drafts you end up with sheep deciding the game even in the 2nd round.

GodShaveTheQueen

Should have played him in the first round. Some of us got away with Seydou Keita and Kolo Toure. Only God knows how :lol:

Himannv

I think Diarra's role is clear and it's a simple task and something he can do. Obviously, he's no Rijkaard and out of place in an ATG draft but it's a simple enough role that he can probably deal with using his physical attributes. I'm surprising your team is losing this tbh. Probably just down to the awesomeness of his front 4.

P-Nut

Should have played him in the first round. Some of us got away with Seydou Keita and Kolo Toure. Only God knows how :lol:
I only just scraped through at full strength with Pirlo, Modric and Schweinsteiger in midfield. Imagine I had Diarra instead of Schweinsteiger there :lol:

I think Diarra's role is clear and it's a simple task and something he can do. Obviously, he's no Rijkaard and out of place in an ATG draft but it's a simple enough role that he can probably deal with using his physical attributes. I'm surprising your team is losing this tbh. Probably just down to the awesomeness of his front 4.
Yeah would have liked a bit more discussion with neutrals that haven't commented, but it is what it is. @Moby has a great team so I can accept it

GodShaveTheQueen

I only just scraped through at full strength with Pirlo, Modric and Schweinsteiger in midfield. Imagine I had Diarra instead of Schweinsteiger there :lol:
To be honest, I thought during the first round, Diarra would have been perfect foil for Bastian and Pirlo/Modric.

I don't remember if I voted for you or against, but I do remember not liking the midfield too mucj.

Bastian-Charlton-Modric I would have liked a lot though even without a dedicated DM. Has a Fergie-esque touch to it

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
@P-Nut drafted a great side, its just that attack from @Moby is so easy to visualize being devastating.

Moby

Dick

Yeah would have liked a bit more discussion with neutrals that haven't commented, but it is what it is. @Moby has a great team so I can accept it
Cheers man, and tough luck. I was dreading the thought of facing a midfield of Bastian, Modric and Charlton till I realized you had to play Diarra and things looked a bit more even.

Excellent team. Beckham and Cristiano is a brilliant wing combo. Think Mbappe proved to be a bit too young for a draft like this and possibly not an ideal companion for a 10 like Charlton, but otherwise great effort!

P-Nut

Cheers man, and tough luck. I was dreading the thought of facing a midfield of Bastian, Modric and Charlton till I realized you had to play Diarra and things looked a bit more even.

Excellent team. Beckham and Cristiano is a brilliant wing combo. Think Mbappe proved to be a bit too young for a draft like this and possibly not an ideal companion for a 10 like Charlton, but otherwise great effort!
Yeah, again he had to play due to not playing first leg, Keegan and Modric/Pirlo instead of Mbappe and Diarra would have made for a much more interesting draft on my part. Ah well, on to the next one!