Unpopular (AKA fickle) opinion time on AWB.....

Josep Dowling

Full backs aren’t there to “take on” the other full back. How many other teams do you think do this as a tactic? If you’re talking about running onto a through ball behind the defender then fine, but squaring up a defender 1v1 and trying to use skill to get past? It’s not going to happen often.
Is it too much to ask for an overlap run every now and then? It was one of Ferguson’s main attacking threats. Now Liverpool and City do it.

Beaucoup

It's delusion to suggest otherwise. I'd wager Cancelo is even better technically and positionally.
Ricardo went for half the price and is better.
Nonsense, both Cancelo & Walker have contributed virtually feck all in attacking stats in one of the most offensive teams in world football, plus AWB is by far the better defender, Cancelo is utterly useless in his own half and most City fans don't have many positive things to say about Walker.

I get it, you don't like him, but you're the delusional one if you thinks he's a mid table defender.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
It's delusion to suggest otherwise. I'd wager Cancelo is even better technically and positionally.
Ricardo went for half the price and is better.
How many assists did Walker get this season?

How many did Wan Bissaka get.

Walker is no attacking don.

Dan_F

Is it too much to ask for an overlap run every now and then? It was one of Ferguson’s main attacking threats. Now Liverpool and City do it.
That’s very different to taking someone on 1v1. By the time he runs onto the ball, he should be ahead of the defender and in a position to cross first time. Our problem for years was slinging the ball to Valencia and expecting him to beat him man from a standing start, and AWB has the same issues.

There's a lot more to being a defender than tackling stats, and there's a lot more to being a competent part of the attack than assist stats.

Wan-Bissaka is so uncomfortable in possession that teams have - very visibly - began to target him as a pressing trigger. Southampton in particular did it very well, and since then every team we've played has done it to some degree. Chelsea in the Cup semi-final were another team who did it very well.

From /r/SaintsFC, Ralph Hassenhuttl talking about that match:

"When their right-back [AWB] gets the ball that is a trigger for us to press. You can see clearly that he isn't comfortable touching the ball and he wants to release it desperately so you can make him give it up with any pressure."
He has so many glaring negatives, and literally one positive attribute - 1v1 defending - to 'balance' it out.

Spaghetti

Mom's
Criticising United players on here will never be an “unpopular opinion” unless they are under 18 and have played under 3 first team matches.

AWB has had an excellent first season at United. He played a lot of games and rarely got rested, which might have impacted him slightly towards the end of the season. He has all the traits of a good defender - if he can add a bit more quality and speed to his decision-making process when attacking then we will have one of the best full backs in the world.

Josep Dowling

AWB is always getting to the byline?
We aren’t effective with it on either wing. Watching most games this season. The ball goes wide to say Rashford or Greenwood. How many times does the ball then go to Shaw or AWB to cross the ball in? To me even if they offer that run it doesn’t go to them but recycled back to midfield. Wan Bissaka’s crossing is also poor, just like Shaw.

The pair of them are not great in attacking situations. That’s my opinion. The question is whether either can improve that side of their game.

edcunited1878

This was his first year at United and it's a big, big step up when you consider everything such as the pressure, expectations, spotlight, demands, criticism, training, intensity, etc. All this before Covid.

His technical ball skills are the worst of all starting XI players and some other bench players. He has to improve and hopefully he does because it's really important that he gets more composure on the ball and make simple passes. At times, when he's tried to pass a ten yard ball, he's Chris Smalling reincarnated.

tomaldinho1

Unfair on AWB to criticise him when he has no RW ahead of him. TAA is a great player but his life is made easy at Liverpool by having someone ahead of him who can hug the touchline, take players on or come inside. Greenwood has deputised the RW well but he's clearly more comfortable central and gives AWB next to no defensive support because he's often out of position - which is probably a big part of why AWB's tackling stats are so high.

Just like when Shaw and Rashford both start on the left, we're so much better (as much as Rashford still needs to improve) the same will be when AWB has a proper RW ahead of him.He still won;t be as good offensively as some other fullbacks but I think fans will start to realise just how good an RB he is.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
There's a lot more to being a defender than tackling stats, and there's a lot more to being a competent part of the attack than assist stats.

Wan-Bissaka is so uncomfortable in possession that teams have - very visibly - began to target him as a pressing trigger. Southampton in particular did it very well, and since then every team we've played has done it to some degree. Chelsea in the Cup semi-final were another team who did it very well.

From /r/SaintsFC, Ralph Hassenhuttl talking about that match:

He has so many glaring negatives, and literally one positive attribute - 1v1 defending - to 'balance' it out.
Is that quote from Hassenhuttl real? Quite telling if it is.

Is that quote from Hassenhuttl real? Quite telling if it is.
It's posted on the /r/SaintsFC Free Talk thread after our match (14th July). A German poster translates a post-match interview he did. It's the second most upvoted post in the thread.

Still in the newbie system so my post is blocked when I try to link it directly.

E-mal

Why is no one talking about the Hassenhuttl quote on AWB? he is a problem in possession and nothing will change my mind about it.

This was the struggle we had with Smalling until it became apparent with everyone and he is now no longer part of the England and United set up.

AWB makes us crumble under the press.

E-mal

It's not about the assist man, AWB makes it easy for us to be pressed in our half. His awkwardness and lack of composure in possession is being targeted and is not to tier quality.
His passes in any third of the pitch is crap.

His positioning and lack of awareness has cost us goals this season.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
Are we really comparing Evra to AWB now? Jesus wept. Hahahahaahaha

We were a world class team under Evra. This season we went into the final game of the season where 5th place was still very possible finish for us. AWB is nowhere near as good as Evra was and never will be.
Sigh. The point which others have managed to suss was sometimes it takes time for young players to put everything together at United. AWB is still young still learning. If he were 26 then the criticism levied at him would be understandable but even then a lot of it is rubbish.

AWB has done well this season. He’s not a creative outlet but that’s not his job. His job has been to lock down the opponents LW so for me job well done.

If you actually remember Evra his first season was not good. He has on several occasions admitted players at United thought he wasn’t good enough he himself wasn’t sure.

I mean....he didn't compare AWB and Evra.

He said Evra had a slow start, which is true.

He said AWB will be fine, which is true.

"Jesus wept. Hahahahahhahahahah" seems a bit OTT.
Thank you.
I think the point he's making if you bothered to engage in a measured conversation is that good full backs don't necessarily need to be as attack minded and post numbers like Trent and Robertson. Those boys are rewriting the script in a team that plays a different system.
There's no denying AWB needs to improve in attack, and he's shown signs of it. In fact when he does decide to go forward with conviction, he does ok. He's been in Crystal Palace where the priority for full backs was heavily towards defending, with coaching he'll improve.

Unsure what the team Evra played in has to do with anything, Evra was a brilliant player - world class fullback in my opinion, that doesn't mean if he was in this team, we'd have done any better. He's just one player (different position anyway), and this team was crying out for a fullback that could actually defend as our numbers will show.

A team is more than the sum of it's individuals. Lest you forget, the likes of Anderson and Cleverly played quite a bit in the team you refer to.
Yup.

Also the point I was making is even great fullbacks in great times sometimes need time to reach their full potential.

At 21 I don’t think AWB has hit his peak.

cyberman

We aren’t effective with it on either wing. Watching most games this season. The ball goes wide to say Rashford or Greenwood. How many times does the ball then go to Shaw or AWB to cross the ball in? To me even if they offer that run it doesn’t go to them but recycled back to midfield. Wan Bissaka’s crossing is also poor, just like Shaw.

The pair of them are not great in attacking situations. That’s my opinion. The question is whether either can improve that side of their game.
AWB is always crossing it in. Greenwood is the one who never crosses, they use his movement to come inside and for AWB to get to the byline.
Getting to the byline and crossing it in isnt a problem, its the quality of the crosses

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
AWB actually looked shattered the last few games of the season, and I think that has caused him to switch of at times, that happened twice on Sunday, and cost us two goals. He is excellent in a 1 on 1 situation, which is ideal when we are getting attacked a lot, but he has much to learn about covering, awareness and passing. This coming season will be a watershed for him, he will either improve in those areas, or I can see Laird eventually take his place. I like the lad, and hope that the coaching staff can work on his deficiencies and iron them out. They need to show him those two goals against Seville repeatedly, so he gets the idea.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
It's posted on the /r/SaintsFC Free Talk thread after our match (14th July). A German poster translates a post-match interview he did. It's the second most upvoted post in the thread.

Still in the newbie system so my post is blocked when I try to link it directly.
It is quite something! I think quite a few have noticed, he is similar to Smalling like that, but that a PL coach actually say it outloud?! Wow!

Adnan

Talent Spotter

That's very telling if Hassenhuttl said that about him.

Mr PG

For united to compete with European Elite we need to build a dynamic team. we will have to replace both fullback positions and get attacking fullbacks. Lindeleof and De-Gea needs replacing as well. none of the other teams left in the CL would have any of these players in their starting 11 and why should we?.

Jibbs

Speaks volumes of our poor recruitment that we paid 50 million plus for an average player like him. An offensive player can learn how to defend and improve his positioning but a defensive minded player can never learn how to attack and cross. Ole and the board got influenced by the constant chatter of ex united players in media and bought such an average player for exorbitant sum.

Suedesi

The poor guy had been here for about 12 weeks before this thread was set up. Nuts.

He’s 22 and he does his main job, defending, very well. Yes he had a bit of a mare on Sunday but he’ll get better over the next 2 - 3 seasons I’m sure, I can’t remember the last full back that’s had me salivating over tackles. He’s fast, good engine and has a never say die attitude, e could be in our team for years and I doubt very much it will be his fault if we don’t win a trophy soon.
Not sold on Bissaka. He's slow witted, hasn't shown a keen defensive awareness, is poor on the ball and doesn't offer much offensively. Tackling doesn't excite me, this is not the NFL.

saivet

AWB also had twice the amount of crosses this season. I don't think Walker's final ball is great, but he's an effective outlet and good passer which means he doesn't break down attacks and contributes to the build up play and is a threat down the right hand side.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
Tackling doesn't excite me, this is not the NFL.
No shit.

As for not showing ‘a keen defensive awareness’, you’ve watched him play right? In between his debut and lockdown you could count the times he slipped up defensively on one hand, Raheem Sterling would disagree with you I’m sure.

Hamadovich86

AWB is a fantastic tackler and defensive stopper but he offers very little upfront which is what fullbacks do especially in today's game. I'm not even talking about putting in crosses or assists even, he does not position himself well to help progress the ball up the pitch and on the ball hes not great. He has to improve significantly and we need to get someone who can compete with him for the RB spot.

Web of Bissaka

Maybe it's getting obvious he is a very good squad player, not starter.

He is definitely useful in the big games against the big boys where his tacklings and 1-on-1 ability are that useful, similar to McTominay. What they can bring to the team in the big games are massive, but really "pointless" overall versus mid-table and weak teams.

Lee565

People have highlighted that since post lockdown he hasnt been as good even though his defensive issue have been there all season but since we've been at full strength and ole has has no excuse to not try and set us up to play like an attacking side rather than a more conservative counter attacking one that we saw for most of the season up until around February it is really highlighting bissaka's frailties of not just offensively but also defensively now that team is playing more openly and positionaly he is all over the place of late.

Face it he is suited to playing mid table type football of being conservative, sitting deep and playing purely on the counter, he's bang average, why we threw 40 million plus add ons show how inept our recruitment is, we had a free run up on him as no other top 6 side that might have been able to afford him were ever really interested in wasting money on a offensively and technically poor fullback.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Great player in 1 on 1 situations, but lacks discipline when covering the middle and his off-ball movement is underwhelming. There's space for improvement, though.

Suedesi

No shit.

As for not showing ‘a keen defensive awareness’, you’ve watched him play right? In between his debut and lockdown you could count the times he slipped up defensively on one hand, Raheem Sterling would disagree with you I’m sure.
So what happened since?

passing-wind

Almost like many posters lack common sense just a few facts to stifle the more simple minded: we have no effective RW and there's NEVER been a natural wide winger ahead of AWB. He's easily the best defender at the club, he's had a few shaky moments since the pandemic but who in the starting 11 hasn't ? When you consider all of our squad he's been the most consistent this season. Coming from Palace he's had a very good first season. You put a Sancho in front of AWB it will just emphasise his strengths as a player of Jadons quality will draw the defenders to exploit spaces in behind.

I think too many people get strung on the idea of having attacking fullbacks to make a team efficient. While there's truth in this assumption it largely depends on the impetus of tactical accomodation and coaching. Solskjaer isn't barking up any "expansive wideplay" tree's with his ideologies so that's very reflective in the expectation of our fullbacks to effectively be utilised as wingbacks. Our preferred 4-2-3-1 exemplifies this.

Last edited:

Suedesi

How would I know? But he wasn’t alone, Bruno and Rashford have also come back not firing in all cylinders. I mean if he’s still not in the game when the new season kicks off then there’s something to worry about.
Bruno has been performing, though you could see he's fatigued. His sharpness will recover.
Rashford is coming off a potentially career-ending injury, the club needs to be careful in they manage him forward. Is he even fully healed?

AWB's defensive issues are not fatigue or injury related. The goal against Sevilla for example shows a complete lack of defensive awareness. He was guilty for the first goal too as he missed the tackle and then was beaten by his man on the overlap who delivered the assist for Suso. Sevilla identified weaknesses in both our FBs and targeted them all game long.