Fairly mainstream opinion : Onana isn’t Fabrice Ondoa, or very good

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
As per the title.
I don’t give a shit about how good he is with his feet or if he can pass, his primary objective is to keep the ball out of the net and he can’t do it.
The commentary mentioned tonight it’s the first season since the 70’s when Dave Sexton was manager that we have conceded 3 or more in 3 consecutive games. It’s not good enough.

Discuss

Last edited:

edgecutter

Hardly unpopular. We didn't need to spend 50 million to replace a poor goalkeeper, and that's what erks me the most.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Tonight the shot stopping was exactly what De Gea has done for years, but at least he can pass the fecking ball on top of it.

Heinzesight

Just worried he has a touch of the Joe Harts about him, in that he doesn’t get down that quickly. Needs way more time to make any decisions on him.

arnie_ni

His best asset gets wasted time and time again because our out fielders are worse on the ball than he is.

We played out class this one time in the first half, got dalot running up the wing, with pellistri alongside and just the full back in front. Tries a square ball, as usual doesn't reach its target and martinez ended up having to make a last ditch tackle to stop them being though 1 v 1.

Zoo

The commentary mentioned tonight it’s the first season since the 70’s when Dave Sexton was manager that we have conceded 3 or more in 3 consecutive games. It’s not good enough.

Discuss
Yes this only because of Onana right? Not the numerous outfield players jogging and not tracking runners

Flying_Heckfish

Brutal start from him, honestly.

Needs to keep his chin up and turn it around asap. We have 3 keepers on the bench now so he has competition :lol:

Skills

Snitch
I said it last year, the goalkeepers position is a Pandora's box. If you feck it, you'll be in the market every single year until you manage to stop the bleeding.

Don't feck around with it, unless you really have to. And knowing us, we'll take at least 5 attempts to get it right - so that's goodbye to at least £40m of your budget going forward now every summer.

Gandalf

Said it before but we could have saved the money and just promoted Kovar, worst case scenario he would have given us the same level of performances and we would have had 50M to spend on a defender who isn't petrified of tackling.

PoTMS

He's been dreadful. I genuinely didn't think he'd be this bad. We are cursed as I think everyone was happy with his signing.

Walters_19_MuFc

Unpopular given the start he's made? Stop being silly!

Let's just get behind him and hope he starts to show his Inter and Ajax form. That said, it doesn't help that our defence is porous this season, but he'll be the first one to tell you he's not been good enough.

izec

He is shite. Why is he sticking to his line? He should be coming out. What happened to him? He is far too passive

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
If your starting point for rating a goalkeeper is "I don't care how good he is with his feet or if he can pass", then you're at odds with how top level football currently judges goalkeepers. Which means it's a you problem rather than a problem with the value others place on that aspect of the game.

That said, his shot-stopping hasn't been particularly good so far and unlike someone like Ederson, we don't have a strong enough team to mitigate for that. So he will have to improve on the tiny sample size we've seen.

prateik

I just hope we arent stupid enough to give ETH any say in any future transfers.
Ideally he isnt around till Jan so it wouldnt be an issue.

The_Midfielder

You can look at how he holds/ stops the ball that he doesn't have the technique
Plays more like a outfield player , playing goal..
Feet first ..
Ederson is similar.. Allison is better ..

Jordi Cruyff 99

Tonight the shot stopping was exactly what De Gea has done for years, but at least he can pass the fecking ball on top of it.
Complete nonsense. For every de Gea howler there's fifty incredible saves. This guy is just nowhere near the goalkeeper is, but then again de Gea is a legendary goalkeeper.

Dan_F

I mean he did make a few saves in the second half to be fair, but he can’t make that mistake. He doesn’t have to be an incredible shot stopper, but he has to be reliable, and specifically in big games.

Hopefully we evolve as a team and as we do, his weaknesses are less pronounced. I’m worried that we effectively wasted a season with De Gea last year and we are now in “year 1” of how Ten Hag wants to play. We can’t afford to do a Klopp/Arteta and finish seventh.

AaronRedDevil

GK's main job is to keep the ball out of the net. Don't fecking tell me you need a GK to "play from the back" when there's 10 other players outfield.

fergosaurus

No idea how error prone he was at Ajax/Inter but I'm hoping it's just a settling in period he's going through.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
United might just make every player look shite though. The club can't have this many dud signings without wondering if there is a bigger problem.

Someone

Something
A bit reminiscent of Barthez
Barthez made some great saves to be fair. A lot of people were worried that Onana will do some crazy things, but his weakness actually is far from that, he's just a poor shot stopper.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Why does he keep jumping before making some saves? I know it sounds silly but it feels like he makes unnecessary springs and then positions himself awkwardly from it. Probably just me

Trondivan

He is shit. Good feet. But the rest is just shit.

I do miss De Gea. We always knew he could do the impossible save. That one save who would save our day. Onana - just awful.

Andersons Dietician

Jury is still out. Really doesn’t fill me with much confidence. He looks like a child between the sticks, Bit shaky when asked to do some actual goalkeeping. For some reason however gets praise for saves which he should easily be saving or knocking clear.

Was mentioned loads last season as well, having a passing goalkeeper is pointless when you have midfielders and forwards of the quality we do.

He also just doesn’t seem to have the technical attributes. Goal at the weekend he should be moving his feet quicker and one more time to get the push plus going with one hand to expand the length of his body. Then today the howler again footing issue pushes off with his furthest away foot and his left is just floating.

Roboc7

He was never worth 55m, I do expect we’ll be looking for another keeper in couple of years as I just don’t think he is good enough. As good as he was for Inter it was only a short spell and I don’t think rest of his career was to that standard.

Telsim

Our defense leaves much to be desired. That being said, I would have preferred Costa or Raya.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
He isn’t 50m good. Should’ve got him when he left Ajax for free.

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
Anyways I’m not ready to write him off yet. Let’s hope when the team settles he will too

Josep Dowling

De Gea needed replacing. That’s a fact. But in true Manchester United style we assume we must spend big money to get a replacement. On top of this then assume our back 4 is absolutely fine. Dalot and Lindelof still playing because of injuries, really. They have both been at the club for over 5 years. Any top, top club would have them out the door and replaced. Add Maguire to that as well. Our options after injuries are failed players and this is why we’ve had such a poor start.

Look at our bench today. 3 goalkeepers on the bench!