Unpopular (AKA fickle) opinion time on AWB.....

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Why can't a fullback do both? Under SAF, our CBs always have to cover the fullback positions. And a lot of times they get forward well enough with their pace to cause problems.

I like him. Tackles anything that moves. Good pace, hard to beat. But we spent 50m on him. Of course we expect a lot better going forward. We're not asking him to provide crosses ala TAA/Irwin/Dani Alves levels, but just be a good footballer that knows how to control the ball and run with it at times.
You just described Wan-Bissaka for us so far.

He makes passes and build up play similar to Valencia only a bit more risky. Sometimes it's sexy sometimes it's terrible. He has a bit of finesse to him he is just too sloppy to be a winger. He can't be a great winger playing fullback, he'll be someone who should focus on his solidity defensively, and use the space in front of him when it's given to him. He almost played as our only outlet against Wolves, like some sort of playmaker but our problem remains because we do not switch play so chances aren't being created from stationary positions out wide. Not with these players anyways, but even City struggle in games they fail to move the ball from side to side with pace. If Bissaka is allowed to play a more reserved game, I think he'll be twice as effective provided he shows up where he is supposed to, which I have no complaints about so far. At the least he gets very involved, unlike Shaw for instance.

mu4c_20le

I like him. Tackles anything that moves. Good pace, hard to beat. But we spent 50m on him. Of course we expect a lot better going forward.
That's like saying we broke the record for Maguire and expect him to be better than VVD. He isn't. AWB's real price is probably around 25-30m, the rest is just United tax, British tax, and the fact that they do not want to sell.

MS4

He has been immense and is always the last Person i would critizise.
I dont get People here

Eugenius

Any RB will look horrific going forward if there's no RW to create space. We move the ball too slowly so whenever he gets the ball always 2vs1 and needing to beat a man or put an inch perfect cross in. Feel sorry for him.

hobbers

why wont ole sign a winger? is that some wierd tin foil hat thing on redcafe at the moment, stepping in to take the place of the idea that he wouldn't sign non english?
No just that no good winger is going to want to play for him. ie. Sancho, the winger Ole has his horse blinkers on for.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Any RB will look horrific going forward if there's no RW to create space. We move the ball too slowly so whenever he gets the ball always 2vs1 and needing to beat a man or put an inch perfect cross in. Feel sorry for him.
I think that's slightly exaggerated in defense of him. Plenty of right backs have better technique and are better passers of the ball than AWB. But Neville was spot on with saying he's not helped by being left isolated far too often.

I also think Lindelof plays too many hospital passes.

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
Need to give some time under a proper coach but I do worry.

AaronRedDevil

I love all the bashing he's getting. Even though he does his main job damn well. Makes no sense but ok :lol:

Mailo

I cringe every time he tries to go up the pitch with the ball. It looks so forced and unnatural. An anti-United player, if I ever saw one. Bordering world class with regards to one on one's, but everything else lacks such a huge amount, that I don't believe one can coach into him at a sufficient high level.

Eplel

On the list of our squad problems, AWB's lack of attacking skill would be on the 4th page or something.

Instead of expecting AWB to overtake the entire right side and flood the opposition with crosses, we should invest on a proper RW that will complement AWB and support him in both sides of the pitch. At the moment, when he gets the ball, his closest option is Pereira, who simply resorts to giving the ball back and disappearing behind an opponent.

Reactions: Ødegaard

Adcuth

Yeah for a side fighting relegation. He isnt a DM for a top club. You need positional sense, passing, technical skill, everything Wan Bissaka hasnt got. He is atheltic and can slide tackle, but that doesnt make a DM in the modern game, and not at a top club, or a club that wants to be a top club again. The same guys are saying that for Fosu-Mensah.
I didn't say a playmaker, I said defensive midfielder. His tackling skill and ability to spot a run in behind are what we are sorely lacking in that area. All he'd need to do is win the ball when he had the likes of Pogba and Bruno in front of him

el3mel

That's seriously bad. I can't even imagine a comparison with Liverpool's fullbacks.

HowYouDoin

Well I did think the last game vs Wolves was actually an improvement for him offensively, he had some good crosses but yeah this simply won't do. Just not good enough.
He is young, there is hope he can improve and we should give him some time. He knows what he needs to focus on and could be a better player next year and if not, we already do have a better right back at the club and his name is Brandon Williams.

mu4c_20le

Assists require the player on the receiving end to put the ball into the net, like Dalot should have done.

hobbers

We've got great defensive full backs but unfortunately it isn't 1995.

Red_toad

I love all the bashing he's getting. Even though he does his main job damn well. Makes no sense but ok :lol:
Yep blame a defenders for no creativity in midfield and no one getting into dangerous positions in the box. Along with poor coaching and tactics from the Management. AWB has been one of our most consistent players this season.

Valencia's Left Foot

Supports
Austin FC, USMNT, Three Lions
Needs to improve his crossing. Clearly he has the pace and desire to be able to beat a defender.

Just needs to work on that final ball. It should be one of the key goals for our coaching staff to improve him offensively in the coming years. Without a doubt its the only thing missing in his locker.
Crossing is not his problem, it’s being able to dribble into a position to make a cross. He’s simply not very good or confident with the ball at his feet.

He’s constantly killing froward momentum on the right side. He’s a great defender but he shouldn’t be undroppable. I would love to see Dalot or Williams over there from time to time especially against teams that drop back and defend like Wolves did today.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off

That's seriously bad. I can't even imagine a comparison with Liverpool's fullbacks.
Yeah, I like AWB but the fact that our fullbacks are so impotent in attack (even leaving aside those stats) is a big problem. It contributes to us being this static football team that is absolutely clueless as to how to open teams up.

130 million spent on defence and this is still an issue. I was watching Leicester City yesterday and Periera went on a wonderful marauding run playing a one two and I think (?) setting up a terrific chance. The other fullback got a goal to give them the lead.

I'm afraid fullbacks don't get to be passengers anymore in the modern game. AWb has to improve his attacking play and we should get another LB knowing his limitations.

LVGSdive

AWB is creating chances and putting in good crosses. Either there's nobody in the box to get on the end of it or the chance is missed. This isn't like the Lingard goals and assist stat where he really is creating nothing.

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
The thing with him is that he compensates for his amateur level of dribbling skills with intelligence. He knows how to manipulate space well enough to be effective in attack to some degree. He is easily the best defensive fullback in the world. A Maldini level tackler. However, dribbling is not natural to him. He needs to spend a few weeks just practicing it with a proper coach.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
He gets too much shit, obviously he can improve and be more proactive in the attack but he ended up creating best chances of the game vs Burnley and Wolves.

He is so awesome defensively i dont mind him playing restricted role in the attack. Don't want him to stay as he is, should improve his confidence and back himself putting more crosses.

For example yesterday, he won 8 tackles, completed 5 dribbles and created the best chance of the game. He looks awkward on the ball but it works for him as he completes those dribbles more often than not.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down

There are 8 full backs in the PL with more than 2 assists. Some of them take set pieces which inflate their numbers. How is the modern full back supposed to be exactly?

Don't know why he includes Shaw like this. 14 games, one of them being a whole minute and another game being 3. He has missed more games through injuries than he has started. Young has more minutes than Shaw this season and didn't assist or score once. Lazy clickbait/retweet journalism.

Liverpool have scored 24 goals more than us in the league. Compare any position you want, it won't be any less frightening than the full backs assisting goals.

Asger

No just that no good winger is going to want to play for him. ie. Sancho, the winger Ole has his horse blinkers on for.
I guess no good winger wanted to play for LVG or Jose either. Nani was our last good winger, only 7 years ago ?

Asger

There are 8 full backs in the PL with more than 2 assists. Some of them take set pieces which inflate their numbers. How is the modern full back supposed to be exactly?

Don't know why he includes Shaw like this. 14 games, one of them being a whole minute and another game being 3. He has missed more games through injuries than he has started. Young has more minutes than Shaw this season and didn't assist or score once. Lazy clickbait/retweet journalism.

Liverpool have scored 24 goals more than us in the league. Compare any position you want, it won't be any less frightening than the full backs assisting goals.
Shaw and AWB are so terrible in attack. We need a lot more from fullbacks against teams that sit back. Maybe they would be good enough for KR, not sure though

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
We've got two defensive fbs which is a bit of a throwback to the 90s but we'll have to make due with what we got. That means, possibly get rid of Shaw, add a top quality RW, a top quality CM and an attacking LB and for god sake play Bruno in his natural role.

padzilla

Hipster
He put in a decent cross for Dalot who missed a sitter at the very end.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
I'm not digging him out but people can't just dismiss it.
It was a concern before we signed him. Hope he improves that side of his game.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Give the kid a brake. Our attackers and midfielders look clueless in attack yet the problem is AWB?
Amazing isn't it. We have players like
Lingard who haven't scored or assisted in over a year playing as attacking mid,

Pereira who messes up every attack

Mata who is slow and weaker than a 8 year old kid, has 2 assists, both coming in same game

James who haven't scored in 4 months and struggling to do basics

Playing week in week out in attacking positions but people moan as if FBs are holding us back. In fact AWB created best chances in last 2 games and should be on 2-3 assists.

Wonder how many goals and assists City FBs have in last 2-3 seasons.

Joseunited

Give the kid a brake. Our attackers and midfielders look clueless in attack yet the problem is AWB?
Agreed, he never has support out on the right,attackers are always sitting too narrow and he often has to get passed a couple of the opposition before he can deliver a cross.I thought he did well yesterday.The cross for Dalot was inch perfect.

Kostov

Amazing isn't it. We have players like
Lingard who haven't scored or assisted in over a year playing as attacking mid,

Pereira who messes up every attack

Mata who is slow and weaker than a 8 year old kid, has 2 assists, both coming in same game

James who haven't scored in 4 months and struggling to do basics

Playing week in week out in attacking positions but people moan as if FBs are holding us back. In fact AWB created best chances in last 2 games and should be on 2-3 assists.

Wonder how many goals and assists City FBs have in last 2-3 seasons.
People see only what they want to see. Yesterday AWB constantly would receive the ball facing two Wolves defenders and the kid did his best by taking both. No attacking pattern to help him out and create a breakthrough. If that is Ole's master plan, than it shows all you need to know.

Agreed, he never has support out on the right,attackers are always sitting too narrow and he often has to get passed a couple of the opposition before he can deliver a cross.I thought he did well yesterday.The cross for Dalot was inch perfect.
Exactly.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
i don’t get the criticism of AWB here. He’s the best defensive RB in the league, his tackling is stunning his positioning defensively is equally as good. His attacking play is getting better and better, he’s young and has years ahead of him. Last night his attacking play was a step up, not perfect but much better than it was a few months ago. This will only improve, give the guy a break, he’s a very intelligent footballer anne’s learning quite quickly. Maybe the coaching he’s getting is working, shock horror.

KevinJoh

It looks to me that AWB is improving in attacking end, and certainly offering more. Not saying it is enough, and that it can't be better, but recently he is producing some crosses, using space, especially when playing with Mata who is cutting inside and to the center/left. If we have proper striker he would probably get a few more assists, as he had created two solid chance for Mata and Martial against Burnley, Pereira against Liverpool and yesterday for Dalot (maybe I missed one or two more). Lets hope there will be more of it in the future.

Dan_F

People see only what they want to see. Yesterday AWB constantly would receive the ball facing two Wolves defenders and the kid did his best by taking both. No attacking pattern to help him out and create a breakthrough. If that is Ole's master plan, than it shows all you need to know.
Couldn’t agree more. I don’t watch Liverpool play, but I’m assuming they don’t play passes out to the full backs and expect them to beat two men before delivering a cross. They need to be running onto stuff at pace.

We have to create overloads in other areas to get that space, like City do. We don’t stand a chance of doing that currently. I don’t think it’s even something Ole thinks about.

I don’t really understand why we’re just trying to swing in crosses either. We don’t have anyone who’s going to head it, so what’s the point in trying it over and over.

Untd55

I think that's slightly exaggerated in defense of him. Plenty of right backs have better technique and are better passers of the ball than AWB. But Neville was spot on with saying he's not helped by being left isolated far too often.

I also think Lindelof plays too many hospital passes.
Actually, it isn't. It consistently happens that Bissaka is in a position where he has to beat two players toe get into a crossing position. It happens in every game.

This is because our right winger is useless. Having a right winger that is zero threat will make it a lot harder for Bissaka as defenders don't need to worry about the winger.

Tel074

For me AWB is a brilliant defender but at home especially we need full backd who can make over laps with power and pace and we just didn't have that yesterday . Full backs that can attack are a huge bonus when teams sit deep against us

quirkey

For me AWB is a brilliant defender but at home especially we need full backd who can make over laps with power and pace and we just didn't have that yesterday . Full backs that can attack are a huge bonus when teams sit deep against us
True, but if we had a winger, like say Sancho, who could beat a man and get decent delivery into the forward players it wouldn’t be such a necessity.

I do think Wan Bissaka would be better as part of a three man defence, Maguire on the left side and Koulibaly/Skriniar in the centre. Get the likes of Perreira/Telles in as fullbacks.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples

AWB has plenty of faults on the ball, but using goal and assist starts against our full backs is particularly harsh when you look at how dysfunctional we are at attacking.

Most of the time when he's in a crossing position theres like 1 person to aim for.

I can also recall a number of occasions this season where hes put in really good deliveries only for our forwards to either fluff their lines or just be totally absent.