Television Unsolved Mysteries (Netflix)

arnie_ni

Yeah well worth watching. The Alonzo Brooks one really got me thinking and I've been on Reddit reading up on it. Loads of recent info has come out as a result of the series, including the police exhuming his body. Think there might be some developments on it soon.
I came here because of this episode. I had actually herd his name and something about this case a while ago so as soon as i heard it was about him my interest peaked.

Also went on reddit and its obviously the Internet but the alleged perpetrators are named on there.

Something with the friends story is of.

I think something happened at the party when they were all still there and they bailed.

Also very weird one of them rang his mother the next day to see if alonzo came home or not. You wouldn't do that unless you thought the worst.

Last edited:

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
Also very weird one of them rang his mother the next day to see if alonzo came home or not. You wouldn't do that unless you thought the worst.
Not weird at all if you bailed on your friend at a party a ways from home before mobile phones and texts were fully standard.

arnie_ni

Not weird at all if you bailed on your friend at a party a ways from home before mobile phones and texts were fully standard.
But the other guy had agreed to take him home so why would you ring to check?

If you were that worried, you wouldnt have left him, well I wouldn't have

Stick

Supports
Liverpool
But the other guy had agreed to take him home so why would you ring to check?

If you were that worried, you wouldnt have left him, well I wouldn't have
Also didnt that friend drive them all to the party earlier? He then goes for smokes and gets lost.....i dont buy that.

arnie_ni

Also didnt that friend drive them all to the party earlier? He then goes for smokes and gets lost.....i dont buy that.
Whole thing is weird. I reckon something happened at the house when they were there and they were told to leave or else and they just bailed

Stick

Supports
Liverpool
Whole thing is weird. I reckon something happened at the house when they were there and they were told to leave or else and they just bailed
Yes I think so or they just weren't great mates with him and left him alone in a strange place. I cant understand what incompetent police officers cant find out who was at the party.

Ivor Ballokov

I just watched episode one and even though it's only 50 minutes I thought they struggled to fill the time.

By bringing up the glasses and phone being found on the roof undamaged were they implying they were placed there intentionally, like by someone who also arranged for a human shaped hole to be put in the roof? Mental.

The reporter woman dismissing the ledge theory because you'd have to be pretty nimble not to fall off, the show mentioned a number of times he was athletic and of course he didn't stay on the ledge, so yeah, great logic.

The letter. If you think someone is out to kill you why leave a cryptic note that the people who are most likely going to find it won't be able to decipher?

Presenting implicit guilt towards his friend is quite poor form, what did he actually do? He offered his friend a job when he was struggling financially and then he protected his company, one that had already been investigated and fined, from further scrutiny. The latter isn't nice but doesn't make him guilty of murder.

One bit particularly annoyed me though

Freemasons. Wholly unnecessary, conspiracy bollocks.

Last edited:

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
2nd lot of eps out now apparently, so an email says.

First was OK, but alot of the episodes just kept repeating themselves over and over. Not the greatest mysteries ever either.

Will wait to see what the great caf says before I decide whether to watch or not.

So hurry up and gimme your reviews!

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Underwhelming first two episodes. The second episode has some intrigue but nothing to really reel you in

fergieisold

Underwhelming first two episodes. The second episode has some intrigue but nothing to really reel you in
I found it frustrating but they are unsolved after all. That second one was fascinating, especially the insight from the intelligence guy.

It'll be great if some of them do get solved eventually and are revisited. Unsolved mysteries - SOLVED! Could be the title.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
The show is literally called unsolved mysteries, of course they will not be solved (though in some cases presented in first season they were actually solved).

I'm very much into true crime but found first season a bit underwhelming. Rey Rivera story was nice but once you start digging into it there's really no mystery there. There is so much quality YouTube content around true crime that you can watch it 2-3 hours a day and never run out of stories, their choice so far has been rather poor. Podcast wise Crime Junkie and Murder Squad are much better.

fergieisold

The show is literally called unsolved mysteries, of course they will not be solved (though in some cases presented in first season they were actually solved).

I'm very much into true crime but found first season a bit underwhelming. Rey Rivera story was nice but once you start digging into it there's really no mystery there. There is so much quality YouTube content around true crime that you can watch it 2-3 hours a day and never run out of stories, their choice so far has been rather poor. Podcast wise Crime Junkie and Murder Squad are much better.
Which cases were solved from the first series? Be interesting to read!

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Which cases were solved from the first series? Be interesting to read!
Rey Rivera was closed and concluded as suicide, and there's basically no way it was anything else than that. The last one from France, the only mystery was what happened to the guy but there was no doubt whatsoever he was the killer.

Wittmann45

The first episode does not seem like that much of a mystery.

They were trying to tie him to some sort of assassination attempt because of his work in election/government security but it seems just as likely that he was in the middle of some sort of psychological episode

The second was interesting though. On the unsolved mysteries subreddit, someone mentioned there were two similar cases in Norway that have some of the hallmarks of the case in question and it is kind of intriguing. It also brought me down the rabbit hole of the Tamam Shud case and then somehow the Lost Cosmonaut theory, the "Toxic Lady" and the Hinterkaifeck murders

Also, my dad was a big fan of the original Unsolved Mysteries and I watched it with him as a kid (probably too young to watch at the time, tbh). The opening theme song still gives me goosebumps. I watched a couple of the second installment episodes last night and as soon as I heard opening theme I got scared some murderer was either inside my house or watching me from outside.

That being said, one of the great things about the original was that there were multiple mysteries per episode. I feel like the Netflix series kind of suffers a little from choosing a single case per episode as some of them kind of dragged (like the first episode of the second series) because there isn't much of a mystery. They also could have combined some of the cases within a single episode, especially with cases that, like the best of the original series, simply need wider public awareness to solve, like the Lester Eubanks episode. Maybe an episode where a number of cases are discussed where the "mystery" lies not in who actually committed the crime, but simply the whereabouts of the known offender. I feel like it would be better if a series/season had a couple of episodes that maybe looked at four or five different cases along with episodes that take a move comprehensive look at a single case as that would be an interesting mix but also would maintain the spirit of the original series.

I also have an issue with how "comprehensive" the episodes are. A number of details really seem to be lacking in these cases whether from a lack of research or from trying to maintain the facade of a "mystery." There also seems to be more of a focus on the victim of the crimes themselves (when known) and their family rather than the actually mystery. I understand that when people are murdered it is awful and sad, but I don't necessarily need to know the entire life story of the victim or how great they were to actually be invested in the mystery. I think there should be far more detail about the particularities of the cases as, in the episodes I say, there are many avenues for investigation that are often left untouched.

Also, I know crime shows are crazy popular right now, but they need to throw in a paranormal episode or some sort of conspiracy theory in each series. Not to belabor the point about my nostalgia for the original, but often episodes had a segment that dealt with some mystery/legend/UFO incident that were often clearly bullshit but entertaining all the same

Last edited:

Wittmann45

To be fair though, over its history, the show has really done well to shine light on solvable cases. Each episode in the original incarnation of the show profiled 4 to 5 cases, but, evidently, over 250 cases on the show were solved after the episodes aired