Television Unsolved Mysteries (Netflix)

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Anybody watched this? Episodic unsolved mysteries about disappearances/deaths/murders which is always interesting. I’ve seen the first two now and it’s pretty good.

This one I just cannot work out where he would have fallen from. The fact that the hole in the roof was so far away from the hotel but he’d have had to have fallen from that height to make that hole? And also that his phone and glasses were undamaged from that.

This one I think was likely a chance abduction but the ex husband was weird as feck! He asked to have her bones laid out and then carried the skull around the room for a while? Also an expert in criminology. Couldn’t tell if he was suspicious or just freakishly clingy.

Dante

Average bang
I used to watch the original series on Sky 1 when I was a kid. I just remember that it gave me nightmares.

I can see it's been rebooted. Might give it a watch.

Scrumpet

There are no words
I think the implausibility of where the hole is means it had to have been suicide. You can't throw or push someone off that hotel and have them end up there but a running jump is just about possible, flip flops be damned. I'm assuming it would have been obvious from his injuries or from the hole if it was somehow staged and he hadn't fallen from a great height.

You always have to be careful with how these things are edited but what a wrong'un the husband is. Not sure what's the innocent explanation for changing the locks the day after your wife goes missing.

lsd

The Oracle
Watched the first one so far . Its good but i do like to know what happened and why in my true crime which is frustrating

Yagami

Good post resistant
Watched the first one so far . Its good but i do like to know what happened and why in my true crime which is frustrating
Same. That puts me off watching/reading about unsolved cases. After I finish a case I spend too long wondering about what happened, and coming up with/reading other people's thoughts and theories on said cases.

Coxy

I think the implausibility of where the hole is means it had to have been suicide. You can't throw or push someone off that hotel and have them end up there but a running jump is just about possible, flip flops be damned. I'm assuming it would have been obvious from his injuries or from the hole if it was somehow staged and he hadn't fallen from a great height.

You always have to be careful with how these things are edited but what a wrong'un the husband is. Not sure what's the innocent explanation for changing the locks the day after your wife goes missing.
Yep enjoyed them all.
It's pretty clear he was killed - and clearly that company he worked for knew something - and his boss / best friend.
Yep again for me the husband is involved - especially the way he describes about the ashes etc.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
It amazes me how easily they botched that investigation and ruled it a suicide. It isn't an unsolved mystery when the detective didn't even try. How they managed to not even subpoena the company and his best friend amazes me.

Its pretty clear that the friend and his company wanted to push a stock tip in their newsletter and he leaned on Rey to do it as it was rather flimsy for any other writer to accept. Someone could have lost a lot of money and needed someone to direct their anger at and I believe the friend was happy to let Rey take the hit.

A classic case of spousal jealousy.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
You think someone committing suicide would take a running jump though? Let alone in flip flops. Also he got a phone call just before and rushed out of the house and a hotel would be an obvious meeting point.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
You think someone committing suicide would take a running jump though? Let alone in flip flops. Also he got a phone call just before and rushed out of the house and a hotel would be an obvious meeting point.
I thought that place was converted to condos by the time he died. Anyways I think they were paying too much attention to the hole without ruling out the other possibilities. Like being beaten to death and then thrown off the roof top.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Same. That puts me off watching/reading about unsolved cases. After I finish a case I spend too long wondering about what happened, and coming up with/reading other people's thoughts and theories on said cases.
This! I end up down ridiculous rabbit holes.

Also I wanted the episode about the UFO’s, so weird I don’t get how you explain things like that.

Leg-End

The biggest issue with any theory is the size and shape of the hole. He obviously went through it almost vertical so he wasn't flailing his arms or legs so he must have been alive else presumably it would have gone through angled (unless it was just incredibly lucky).

Was pretty obvious they should have pressed his employer harder no?

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
I said similar whilst watching yesterday. I love unsolved mysteries but I also hate them because I need to know what happened. I'll spend hours afterwards researching online.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Episode 1, how are the police so utterly useless?

Anyone got any ideas what the bite behind the PC is?

Last edited:

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
So many missing details from the first episode. After reading them all

It seems most likely it was suicide after a manic episode. His personality was reported to have changed in the last year of his life.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
It loses some magic without the super-serious guy in the trench coat narrating and the UFO episode was a bit shit, but it’s still pretty decent.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
I skipped straight to the third because it sounded kinda interesting. I was midly annoyed it was all subtitles because I just wanted some background viewing. Ended up watched it properly. It was ok.

There was a lot of building up to actually telling you what it was even about, which was a bit frustrating.

What was surprising was how clean the kills were. I assume the gun just wasn't very powerful.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
Meh, it's no "Strange But True?".

First episode seemed to miss loads, such as people thinking it was a murder, not explaining how they threw him that far off a roof?

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
Episode 3 is a proper mindfcuk
It is? Is that the one in French? Not really a mystery. Just a "where's Wally". Found it quite boring in that sense.

Episode 2 the husband clearly had something to do with it. Don't know if he done it himself or had someone do it for him. Creepy fecker.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
We watched episode 4 yesterday, skipped 3 for the time being as it had subtitles and we were eating fajitas so couldn't really pay as much attention to the screen :lol:

Seems to be massive failures by the police on this one. The body was found 200m from the property by the poor family. Even if it was moved it means he wasn't far away the whole time. Plus his shoes and hat were clearly thrown onto the side of the road. And they couldn't get any information out of anyone who was at the party?

Ibi Dreams

We watched episode 4 yesterday, skipped 3 for the time being as it had subtitles and we were eating fajitas so couldn't really pay as much attention to the screen :lol:

Seems to be massive failures by the police on this one. The body was found 200m from the property by the poor family. Even if it was moved it means he wasn't far away the whole time. Plus his shoes and hat were clearly thrown onto the side of the road. And they couldn't get any information out of anyone who was at the party?
Definitely. It seems like the police had no interest in treating it as suspicious even though it clearly was. I wouldn't necessarily say they helped cover it up (though they may have), but it felt like they at least willfully chose not to investigate it in order to protect whoever did it/the town.

Also, I think the friends he went with almost certainly weren't involved in his death, but some of what they said didn't make sense at all and they should be questioned again. Apparently the FBI have reopened the case after a lot of tips have come in

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Definitely. It seems like the police had no interest in treating it as suspicious even though it clearly was. I wouldn't necessarily say they helped cover it up (though they may have), but it felt like they at least willfully chose not to investigate it in order to protect whoever did it/the town.

Also, I think the friends he went with almost certainly weren't involved in his death, but some of what they said didn't make sense at all and they should be questioned again. Apparently the FBI have reopened the case after a lot of tips have come in
It happened in a quite clearly racist little town as well. Seeing how sympathetic some law enforcement are with those people I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't look too hard and avoided prodding where they shouldn't.

dwd

Saturday Night Spies
I love this kind of stuff so decided to give it a go. I've only watched Episode 1so far and found it really boring. Does it get better?

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
I love this kind of stuff so decided to give it a go. I've only watched Episode 1so far and found it really boring. Does it get better?
If you found it boring then not really.

Quite clear he was either pushed or jumped off that ledge.
Ledge to hole was only plausible explanation yet no-one thought to take a crash test dummy up there and test the theories? What awful police work.
Someone had access to that ledge, likely a hit.
The explanation of “it was very difficult to get out onto the ledge” was utter shite, is it implausible that a mob-esque hit could have some tools to take out the window and replace it?
His mate defo had something to do with it, what an utter wanker.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Quite clear he was either pushed or jumped off that ledge.
Ledge to hole was only plausible explanation yet no-one thought to take a crash test dummy up there and test the theories? What awful police work.
Someone had access to that ledge, likely a hit.
The explanation of “it was very difficult to get out onto the ledge” was utter shite, is it implausible that a mob-esque hit could have some tools to take out the window and replace it?
His mate defo had something to do with it, what an utter wanker.
Netflix as they usually do, left out key elements to the story. It’s suicide masked up into a mystery. His note said something about “hope you enjoyed the game” the film where the protagonist jumps off a building, which was one of his favourite films. His wife had said his personality had changed over the last year of his life (not mentioned in the show). To me it’s clear he had some sort of manic episode.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
I just watched episode 1 after seeing this thread. i had a few ideas but reading more recent info in this thread had questioned that again.

how do I spoiler

Vidic_In_Moscow

rectum-faced pygmy
Supports
i stink
It is? Is that the one in French? Not really a mystery. Just a "where's Wally". Found it quite boring in that sense.

Episode 2 the husband clearly had something to do with it. Don't know if he done it himself or had someone do it for him. Creepy fecker.
More of a mystery of why he would do what he did, and where he disappeared to. His level of planning was meticulous you really cannot rule out that he successfully disappeared into the sunset and started a new life somewhere.

Started watching last night episode 1 is annoying how can the police be so useless? What are they getting paid for?

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
At first I thought murder, especially with the dodgy best friend. My initial thoughts were he’d been done over had shins snapped etc and then thrown off as I couldnt work out how he had so much damage to both ends of his body.

with the phone and flip flops scattered on the roof I think he may have taken a running jump and torpedoed through the roof feet first letting go off his stuff on impact. How he got to the ledge and made that jump is still strange

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
More of a mystery of why he would do what he did, and where he disappeared to. His level of planning was meticulous you really cannot rule out that he successfully disappeared into the sunset and started a new life somewhere.
He done it because the nobility thing? They take that very seriously. He never wanted the family bodies to be found, and really wanted everyone to think they had moved away in secrecy, keeping up the appearance he wasn't skint / broke / a normy. Once the bodies were found he knew it was all over but couldn't bring himself to commit suicide imo, so staged the suicide and went abroad.

That was my take on it. The only "mystery" is, did he commit suicide, or run away.

izec

He done it because the nobility thing? They take that very seriously. He never wanted the family bodies to be found, and really wanted everyone to think they had moved away in secrecy, keeping up the appearance he wasn't skint / broke / a normy. Once the bodies were found he knew it was all over but couldn't bring himself to commit suicide imo, so staged the suicide and went abroad.

That was my take on it. The only "mystery" is, did he commit suicide, or run away.
Highly likely he ran away. No coincidence that he was where he was in the end at the mountains, since it was close to the sea as well as close to the Italian border. He wanted people to believe he killed himself. He planned it perfectly. Probably changed his appearance somewhere and moved away to a place where no one would look after him or knows him. Latin America was a good guess in the show.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
If you're planning on watching these then do it with someone else. Watched the first episode with my partner and It was fairly boring but our conversation about the episode brought it to life a bit - watched the rest by myself and it was a snorefest.

Bojan11

I can’t watch this knowing that everything is unsolved. I want closure in my programmes.

binary bot
Enjoyed the first ep then stupidly read up on the case and it seems like they omitted loads of details to fit the narrative. Kinda soured the rest of them now. It is worth continuing? Feel like they did the same with Tiger King.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
Enjoyed the first ep then stupidly read up on the case and it seems like they omitted loads of details to fit the narrative. Kinda soured the rest of them now. It is worth continuing? Feel like they did the same with Tiger King.
Yeah well worth watching. The Alonzo Brooks one really got me thinking and I've been on Reddit reading up on it. Loads of recent info has come out as a result of the series, including the police exhuming his body. Think there might be some developments on it soon.