Update to the MUFC Fans share scheme…

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
Manchester United has provided an update on progress towards creating a new Fans’ Share Scheme to open a path for supporters to build an ownership stake in the club.

Discussions have been under way for several months with the Manchester United Supporters’ Trust (MUST) about the proposed scheme.
In a statement on Monday, the club said: “We are in advanced talks with MUST about a Fans’ Share Scheme which would open a path for fans to build, over time, a meaningful ownership stake in Manchester United.

“This would give fans a strong collective voice within our ownership structure and help cement a new spirit of long-term partnership between fans and the club.

“There are significant legal and regulatory complexities being worked through, together with MUST and expert advisers.

“As well as making progress on the Fans’ Share Scheme, we are also creating a Fans’ Advisory Board as a new channel for board-level dialogue with supporters and this is close to launch.”

The share scheme and advisory board were proposed by Joel Glazer, Manchester United co-chairman, in a meeting with the club’s Fans’ Forum last June, when he expressed hope that they would “reset the relationship with our supporters [and] strengthen the club as a whole”.

The proposed share scheme would involve a new class of fan shares each with the same high-vote rights as the B shares held by the Glazer family.

More details will be provided on both the share scheme and the advisory board once these processes are completed.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Absolutely shameless :lol: . They know they're up against it and they release this today. fecking villains.

MUFC OK

Absolutely shameless :lol: . They know they're up against it and they release this today. fecking villains.
Everything with the Glazers is done at a certain time, for a reason.

This share thing is a load of rubbish - what is a "meaningful ownership stake"? You can bet your life that it will be below 25% which is the minimum required to block a special resolution.

Ironically, this is a way to milk the club for money and take cash from fans who probably haven't been buying merchandise for years, don't have MUTV etc. The Glazers business model centres on pillaging - this is just another manifestation of that.

stu_1992

It's an absolute non-update as well. What new information is in this that we didn't already know? Pure distraction tactics.

Infra-red

This share thing is a load of rubbish - what is a "meaningful ownership stake"? You can bet your life that it will be below 25% which is the minimum required to block a special resolution.
Rumoured to be worth $10m, which is about 0.3% of the club's value.

Teja

Like you want to give them any more money to line their pockets.

MUFC OK

Rumoured to be worth $10m, which is about 0.3% of the club's value.
I feel sorry for anyone who falls for this and buys them. An absolutely empty token gesture timed to perfection. Will translate to $2.5m extra per glazer in dividends.

Correction: revenue from share sales is available almost immediately. A quicker way for them to milk money from the club.

Last edited:

MUFC OK

Like you want to give them any more money to line their pockets.
Exactly, like I said I think it’s a strategy to get money from ‘legacy fans’ who probably don’t buy any glazer owned products beside their season tickets.

tomaldinho1

Like clockwork.

Given the DoF rumour can't reignite now Murtough has a similar role, you can expect something about 'Ole searching for an experienced tactical coach to add to his backroom staff' to be released soon, then something vague about OT extension and the railway bridge and then Carrington upgrades.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Like clockwork.

Given the DoF rumour can't reignite now Murtough has a similar role, you can expect something about 'Ole searching for an experienced tactical coach to add to his backroom staff' to be released soon, then something vague about OT extension and the railway bridge and then Carrington upgrades.
That's a good strategy, which will keep most fans happy.
The DoF hire was a slap in the face to most fans who kept saying that we need a DoF. Woodward obliged by promoting a yes man from within the club who is as much use as a chocolate teapot.

laughtersassassin

I think if anything this is bad. Biggest supporters group in bed with the Glazers.

Shares that in truth won't mean a thing.

Money in the pocket for the Glazers.

I'm very skeptical. Good luck with any future protests when MUST tells the top reds not to attend.

United Hobbit

Annoyingly, it came up on the app as "club statement" on my notifications, I thought he'd finally got the sack.

How SILLY of me to think that.

Acole9

Outstanding
Annoyingly, it came up on the app as "club statement" on my notifications, I thought he'd finally got the sack.

How SILLY of me to think that.
I don't know if it's just me but the app seems to be posting a lot more guff than normal recently. It's almost like they're trolling us.

croadyman

Very true but I am confident the majority of our fanbase won't fall for this spin from the club

Skills

Snitch
Why would you buy 'these' shares rather than the ones already on the market?

MUFC OK

They all count for F all to be honest mate. That whole shareholding on offer is frankly pittance. They are mugging us off as they always have. 50+1 is a million miles away - I hope no one is in doubt of that.

United Hobbit

I don't know if it's just me but the app seems to be posting a lot more guff than normal recently. It's almost like they're trolling us.
You have a point actually, all the desperate posts about the players on international duty etc etc. Almost everything expect the whacking great crack we've papered over so many times, surely it's all about to cave in under the weight of the papering over. Like you say it is almost like they're being especially smug and trolling us.

Just flicked to it now, there's almost a live commentary about the players on international duty I only dip into the app if an interesting article comes up so not sure if this is Normal. They're banging on about Maguire, who my patience has actually run out with, scoring goals for England and presumably keeping a clean sheet (I don't watch internationals they bore me). Two things he can barely manage for us. Another who is trolling us, the whole flipping club is at this point. Ole, the owners, Ed, the PR team....

Skills

Snitch
They all count for F all to be honest mate. That whole shareholding on offer is frankly pittance. They are mugging us off as they always have. 50+1 is a million miles away - I hope no one is in doubt of that.
I just don't see the point. 31% of the club i believe is already floated on the stock market - so if fan groups were ever serious about taking a stake, they should've started buying them up over the last 7-8 years. I'm not really sure, what this was ever meant to be achieving?

Shameless! I already have a few shares in the club for shits and giggles. They're up there as the worst performing investment i own. Definitely don't want any more.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
Are we seeing less Glazer-apologies on the Caf lately, or have I just ignored them all? Maybe they got more media savvy?

I have no clue about shares, but seems the advice is - avoid. Doesn’t seem - from what I’m reading in here - like a genuine concession to include supporters in running the club.

MUFC OK

Are we seeing less Glazer-apologies on the Caf lately, or have I just ignored them all? Maybe they got more media savvy?

I have no clue about shares, but seems the advice is - avoid. Doesn’t seem - from what I’m reading in here - like a genuine concession to include supporters in running the club.
It’s absolutely not a concession in the running of the club. It’s stoken gesture at best - which makes them $10m in the process.

Sviken

This reads like a joke. Anyway, Glazers have to sell. That's the only solution.

Revan

Assumptionman
They have 10 times the voting power, if you care for those things.

Obviously, no real difference from any practical purpose as long as Glazers control more than 70% of the shares and close to 99% of voting power.

It will bring 10m revenue to the club though (providing that the rumor of 10m is true).

Revan

Assumptionman
It’s absolutely not a concession in the running of the club. It’s stoken gesture at best - which makes them $10m in the process.
My understanding is that they are gonna be new shares, not Glazers shares. Which means that the money goes to the club, not to them. In fact, this should dilute the market cap by 10m, so in theory, the owners (Glazers and co.) lose 10m. In practice, not every dilution means that the price of the shares goes down.

In any case, it is just a PR stunt. It has no effect at all in anything.

JonnyIreland

You almost have to applaud the Glazers at this point… they managed to use their evil genius to turn a positive (club shares for the fans) into a money-spinning, line-their-pockets, keep-your enemies-closer fkfest.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
Which of the share class will they be?
The proposed share scheme would involve a new class of fan shares each with the same high-vote rights as the B shares held by the Glazer family.
I had wondered the same as @Skills but after reading the statement found the above to be an important element I was not aware of.

Yes, it's a small percentage of shares on offer but it gives the fans a clear voice at the AGM.

MUFC OK

My understanding is that they are gonna be new shares, not Glazers shares. Which means that the money goes to the club, not to them. In fact, this should dilute the market cap by 10m, so in theory, the owners (Glazers and co.) lose 10m. In practice, not every dilution means that the price of the shares goes down.

In any case, it is just a PR stunt. It has no effect at all in anything.
Interesting, I genuinely didn’t know that. End result is the same. I hope that fans avoid regardless. It’s an utter waste of money.

MUFC OK

You almost have to applaud the Glazers at this point… they managed to use their evil genius to turn a positive (club shares for the fans) into a money-spinning, line-their-pockets, keep-your enemies-closer fkfest.
This has been their corporate strategy of late.

If that podcast about manipulating fan opinion isn’t enough for you to form your own opinions, nothing will be.

We will never be anything but consumers to them, period (excuse Americanism).

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Lots of cynicism here, which I can understand since the Glazers have never done anything before apart from look after their own interests

But as usual with the business side, most of the naysayers don't actually understand what is on offer here. I bet most posting negative comments haven't even bothered to read the statement.
It's actually great news that the fans will be offered shares with the same voting rights as the Glazers - these are much more valuable than the shares currently available in the US stock market and will give the fans some say in what's happening at the club

Yes it's a small amount but I see this as a first step towards something bigger

Still it's early days and we await details of how much these will be sold for and how exactly they will make sure these are only sold to fans

If you are interested in knowing more of the real details then register here: https://www.signforunited.org/

Last edited:

MUFC OK

You can't blame them as some match goers are still applauding Ole
Unbelievable isn't it.. :lol: I do wonder how much of that is just putting on a brave face in front of Liverpool and City fans though.