US Men's National Team Discussion

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
US getting overrun in the MF. This game is screaming out for a mobile MF who can carry the ball. Too bad we don't have one or two on the bench :wenger:

NYAS

This kid McKenzie is having one of the worst performances I can remember watching in football. Literally all he has done is give the ball away and play Mexico onside for 1 on 1’s

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
This kid McKenzie is having one of the worst performances I can remember watching in football. Literally all he has done is give the ball away and play Mexico onside for 1 on 1’s
He looks like a pub league player in all honesty. Shocking performance thus far. In general the quality has been low anyway. Mexico’s final ball has been appalling.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
escaped the first half. The back line is in shambles and I have no idea what they can do to fix it. This is the result of years of forcing the old guard (Omar, Ream, etc.) and MLS shit (Zimmerman et al) into the starting CB spot and not develping a partner for Brooks.

Every other part of the team is being crushed by the back line. McKennie is having to drop deep to help out Acosta to shield a back 5. We are playing a fecking back 7 right now b/c the coach is a moron.

Also, can we have Siebatcheu please?

sport2793

This clown Berhalter can't even organize a basic defence. Honestly, switching out Acosta and Ream for Musah and Adams would allow the US to dominate this match, Mexico are garbage apart from Lozano and US have the better quality. This stupid manager is holding the team and country back.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
This clown Berhalter can't even organize a basic defence. Honestly, switching out Acosta and Ream for Musah and Adams would allow the US to dominate this match, Mexico are garbage apart from Lozano and US have the better quality. This stupid manager is holding the team and country back.
100%

sport2793

To be fair he's a real up and coming talent (not being sarcastic). Quite frankly the general poor play has to be down to the Sunday league level management and the terrible setup. He's managed to make Dest look like a USL championship player!

sport2793

escaped the first half. The back line is in shambles and I have no idea what they can do to fix it. This is the result of years of forcing the old guard (Omar, Ream, etc.) and MLS shit (Zimmerman et al) into the starting CB spot and not develping a partner for Brooks.

Every other part of the team is being crushed by the back line. McKennie is having to drop deep to help out Acosta to shield a back 5. We are playing a fecking back 7 right now b/c the coach is a moron.

Also, can we have Siebatcheu please?
I dont have a problem with Sargent to be honest, he's not been the issue so far. People claiming that Haaland would have gotten on the end of that Reyna cross need their heads checked.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
In a way, it's like a baptism of fire for him. In Belgium's he's honestly had it way too easy, overall; attacking players don't play with the sort of intensity and directness that these Mexican attacking players are, and your average Belgian team doesn't really offer much midfield creativity.

He's talented, but he needs to be tested more often before he can get better.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
To be fair he's a real up and coming talent (not being sarcastic). Quite frankly the general poor play has to be down to the Sunday league level management and the terrible setup. He's managed to make Dest look like a USL championship player!
I was just about to comment on this. The way GB has managed Dest is ciminal. He might be the most talented player on the team, but he has been shunted to the left to make room for Cannon and Yedlin in back to back games. You don't move your star player to a weaker position to make room for scrubs.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
One of the U.S.'s biggest problems is their midfield. They're opening themselves up way too easily, and both McKennie and Acosta are being beaten way too easily in 1-on-1 situations. The back line isn't helping, of course; McKenzie's struggling with the Mexican team's runs, and Ream's just struggling, overall. John Brooks has way too much to do in that back line.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
I was just about to comment on this. The way GB has managed Dest is ciminal. He might be the most talented player on the team, but he has been shunted to the left to make room for Cannon and Yedlin in back to back games. You don't move your star player to a weaker position to make room for scrubs.
Especially when both Yedlin and Cannon can play on the left; sure, Dest may have more experience than both in that position, but he's clearly way, way, way better on the right than the left.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
One of the U.S.'s biggest problems is their midfield. They're opening themselves up way too easily, and both McKennie and Acosta are being beaten way too easily in 1-on-1 situations. The back line isn't helping, of course; McKenzie's struggling with the Mexican team's runs, and Ream's just struggling, overall. John Brooks has way too much to do in that back line.
This is what I was saying a bit earlier. The MF is being overrun because McKennie needs to drop so deep and then rushes forward to try and do his real job of linking the attack. In reality this means he is doing neither job.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
replacing Ream, going to a back 4, and replacing him with Adams or Mussah would open this up.

Also, Dest looks out of it. Would not be shocked to find he is a pissed to be on the left as we are.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
I only just noticed that Reyna has terrible posture. Like truly terrible. Doesn’t seem to be holding him back though.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
This is what I was saying a bit earlier. The MF is being overrun because McKennie needs to drop so deep and then rushes forward to try and do his real job of linking the attack. In reality this means he is doing neither job.
McKennie's best performances come when he's not in a midfield 2. Sure, a back 3 can afford him more freedom, but at the moment, Mexico's front 3 are keeping the U.S. back 3 completely occupied. McKennie needs to press higher up and not worry about starting so deep when he's defending.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
McKennie's best performances come when he's not in a midfield 2. Sure, a back 3 can afford him more freedom, but at the moment, Mexico's front 3 are keeping the U.S. back 3 completely occupied. McKennie needs to press higher up and not worry about starting so deep when he's defending.
but he is being forced to do so because he needs to shield the back line and Acosta. Agreed on his best role though.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
but he is being forced to do so because he needs to shield the back line and Acosta. Agreed on his best role though.
Yeah, Acosta isn't someone to rely on to defend in the midfield, and McKennie's not a good partner for him. In a midfield 3, Acosta would work better with two box-to-box midfielders.

Anyways, Pulisic playing at the #10 role with Weah on the left can cause Mexico more problems just like it did there. With that said, a 4-2-3-1 with both McKennie and Acosta together doesn't work at all. At this stage, Adams has to come on for one of the players.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
Man, if people didn't rate Zack Steffen (I do; I find him to be a pretty good goalkeeper), Ethan Horvath is even worse.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Man, if people didn't rate Zack Steffen (I do; I find him to be a pretty good goalkeeper), Ethan Horvath is even worse.
He was pretty good against the Swiss. Had some great saves to keep that fro being a rout.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
Looks like set pieces are offering the U.S. their best routes to goal. Mexico need to be careful to not give away free kicks and corners so often.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
He was pretty good against the Swiss. Had some great saves to keep that fro being a rout.
He's not a bad keeper, but he's not as good as Steffen is. Steffen has a bigger presence in goal than Horvath does. My prior post was in response to people having a go at Steffen against Honduras and thinking that he's no good.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
It's almost like playing Tim Ream as a left back is a BAD feckING IDEA