US Men's National Team Discussion

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
feck off so hard Berhslter. Legett is his Rashford, only with no ability. He stays on and Reyna off. The US best player. Off. feck off you cnut.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
feck off so hard Berhslter. Legett is his Rashford, only with no ability. He stays on and Reyna off. The US best player. Off. feck off you cnut.
Think he’d just had enough of being kicked every time he got the ball

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
As usual, Lletget was a passenger in that whole play. :lol:

On the other hand, Brooks played an amazing pass, and McKennie made his usual great run.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
I stand by everything I have said (minus the PK shootout thingy). This has been a masterclass in cowardice by Berhalter.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
As much as you hate them because of their MLS affiliation, they clearly are better players. I wonder if you'd have said the same about McKenzie and Aaronson if they remained MLS players.
Dude, I love MLS. Look at my supports tag. But neither of them belong in the starting 11

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
Dude, I love MLS. Look at my supports tag. But neither of them belong in the starting 11
Okay, just making sure that your emotions weren't throwing you off.

With that said, any other midfield setup that doesn't include a deep-lying playmaker needs a new head coach. Berhalter has tried going without one in past matches and failed. This is what he's most comfortable with, and unfortunately, you'll have to deal with one of Yueill or Acosta. Now, Lletget is a whole other matter, obviously; he doesn't deserve to be on there.

sport2793

Berhalter has possibly been saved for the time being but he is a truly awful manager who needs to be sacked ASAP.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United

With that said, any other midfield setup that doesn't include a deep-lying playmaker needs a new head coach. Berhalter has tried going without one in past matches and failed. This is what he's most comfortable with, and unfortunately, you'll have to deal with one of Yueill or Acosta. Now, Lletget is a whole other matter, obviously; he doesn't deserve to be on there.
Agreed! Which is why my previous post said that having both starting was a disaster. Aaronson or Mussah should have been in Llegetts spot.

sport2793

Look the midfield 3 needs to be Musah, Adams, Mckennie (latter two in double pivot if you want more security) or put Reyna as an attacking mid with two of the 3 earlier mentioned.

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
We are going to need much sharper finishing against Mexico. First half we had some good moments minus the finishing. Second half you half to give Honduras credit, they played with more heart for most of the second half.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
Agreed! Which is why my previous post said that having both starting was a disaster. Aaronson or Mussah should have been in Llegetts spot.
Yeah, so we definitely agree on that front, and I'd never advocate for both Acosta and Yueill starting together (unless the U.S. faces Canada :angel:).

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Every game recently had featured both fullbacks bombing forward with the wingers tucking in. Tonight Greggy boy featured two fullbacks who are best at attacking. Then they didn’t. Fooled us you stupid inept fecking bastard.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
Look the midfield 3 needs to be Musah, Adams, Mckennie (latter two in double pivot if you want more security) or put Reyna as an attacking mid with two of the 3 earlier mentioned.
It's a nice midfield on paper, but all of them progress the ball forward by carrying it. Musah's probably the best at progressing it forward out of the 3, but I don't see any of the 3 really able to pass it out of the midfield (for Berhalter's setup). I can see another head coach make them work with the two creative players ahead of them plus wing backs pushing forward for a very nice team, but that's not Berhalter, unfortunately.

So Berhalter can try something different and fail (as he did in the past), or he can do what he's comfortable with and get results (as he did tonight minus the Lletget selection).

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
T
It's a nice midfield on paper, but all of them progress the ball forward by carrying it. Musah's probably the best at progressing it forward out of the 3, but I don't see any of the 3 really able to pass it out of the midfield (for Berhalter's setup). I can see another head coach make them work with the two creative players ahead of them plus wing backs pushing forward for a very nice team, but that's not Berhalter, unfortunately.

So Berhalter can try something different and fail (as he did in the past), or he can do what he's comfortable with and get results (as he did tonight minus the Lletget selection).
tonight was a fail. Do that against Mexico and we are getting fecked. This was the most “important” game of Greggys tenure and he pulled an Ole. If you are going to go full coward against Honduras what are you going to do against Mexico?

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
T

tonight was a fail. Do that against Mexico and we are getting fecked. This was the most “important” game of Greggys tenure and he pulled an Ole. If you are going to go full coward against Honduras what are you going to do against Mexico?
Yeah, the Mexican team will also play defensively against this U.S. team. Berhalter needs to set up a more dynamic side to get more out of the creative players rather than expect them to pull a rabbit out of the hat.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
This isn't about the MLS in particular, although I'm sure part of the explanation will dovetail to that, but why hasn't US football really kicked on from hosting the World Cup in 1994 to present day?

In the present day it feels we are no further along in the development of the sport despite having small peaks and troughs in between. Some time ago the US were tipped for potential greatness given the investment in grass roots football and the rise in popularity in comparison to traditional household sports such as baseball, basketball and the NFL. That, along with a huge population, top quality facilities and sports science is still yet to yield a batch of truly world class talent and international "golden era". Why? Will it ever come?

In my opinion the MLS could be responsible for this given the desperation for bringing over older pros from around the world in the twilight years of their careers. Initially I can see why this was done; to attract the world to the MLS, but now does it need a different approach and does this hinder the development of home grown American talent?

The contrast between the men's and women's team is again quite interesting. It's likely men would sooner play a traditional American man's sport as touched on above however the women's game does show they do have something so why have they not been able to transfer it to the men's game to a degree in terms of development?
It hasn't taken off here for obvious reasons. NFL and College Football, Baseball, Basketball (college and pro), Hockey and other sports simply take up too much market share for Footy to be relevant here. A vast majority of people who watch it, watch the European leagues which leaves the MLS as somewhat of a distant afterthought.

DeepSpace

Supports
ATL
As a foreigner who's moved to the US, I'd say the answer is pretty clear: football here is pay to play. Getting into a club team means you've got to pay for the coaching, the travelling etc.

Also, you might be really good at football, but if you didn't play club, which costs thousands, your chances of playing in college are pretty limited.

There are no community teams, so basically, no passion at all.

Finally, there's no relegation from the MLS. If you've got enough money, you can set up an MLS team.

PS I'm in the South

Commentary

As a Canadian, I can pretty much state that soccer has never been big in the US for one simple reason....

Unlike the big four (NFL football, Baseball, Basketball & Hockey) soccer is the only one that cannot attract the top talent because they get paid better in Europe.

Watching the Vancouver Whitecaps is all right, but it's the equivalent of watching Bristol City play, if that, so I just accept I will be watching the premier league all my life.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Are there really no better goalies in the MLS than Zack Steffen?

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Are there really no better goalies in the MLS than Zack Steffen?
Wouldn’t matter if there was. He was Greggy boys keeper at Columbus, so he is his keeper for the national team. No one else ever had a chance.

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
I like this Starting XI... not thrilled about Sargent

Berbaclass

I hate that US sports don’t actually start when they’re supposed to...

Sort your shit out.

Berbaclass

Ya what the heck is wrong with these people, it's a FIFA match, this ain't the super bowl.
Just turned it on, 2 AM here in the UK expecting to watch the first half and go to bed and it's just said kickoff is like 45 minutes away. WTF

Berbaclass

The US struggled to contain Elis the other night so if Lozano is on form he'll tear them a new one. Also explains the switch to a back 5.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
I like this Starting XI... not thrilled about Sargent

the Lineup is garbage. Back three? Tim fecking Ream? Yedlin in forcing Dest to the left? Acosta over Adams and Mussah? GB going full coward again.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
The US struggled to contain Elis the other night so if Lozano is on form he'll tear them a new one. Also explains the switch to a back 5.
if The question is “how to contain Lozano” and your answer is Tim Ream you are failing the quiz.