US Men's National Team Discussion

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
well the US had another brilliant result tonight and have now beaten the Mexican squad in back to back finals this summer

this game was all the more impressive considering there were 8 first team starters last night for Tata while the US had only one(Acosta) carryover from teh Gold Cup final

A VERY experience Mexican side against a VERY Inexperienced American side but still the same result. The mexican side started out much stronger as one would expect and despite some pretty glaring technical errors with their passing, the US grew into the game and really were the better side from about the 60th minute on.

Agreed. I will need to eat crow from all my Berhalter bashing. I sill think he is a level below what we need as a coach but he did excellent his tournament. The point you made abotu 60+ onward is great and fits exactly into what GB was doing. he coaching team identified (according to interviews) that Canada/Mexico/Qatar all slowed down in the last third of the game and head weaker benches, which is why you saw GB making hockey line changes around minute 60 each game so hit them with fresh legs.

A couple more thoughts:

1. Turner needs to be the new #1. He was so so good and will be playing every week while Steffen sits on the bench at city.
2. I am an Acosta convert. He was immense last night.
3. I love Hoppe. Dude plays with an arrogance that reminds me of Deuce.
4. Robinson and Sands were fantastic and both should be in the WCQ conversation. Robinson becomes the front runner to partner Brooks.

bosskeano

Agreed. I will need to eat crow from all my Berhalter bashing. I sill think he is a level below what we need as a coach but he did excellent his tournament. The point you made abotu 60+ onward is great and fits exactly into what GB was doing. he coaching team identified (according to interviews) that Canada/Mexico/Qatar all slowed down in the last third of the game and head weaker benches, which is why you saw GB making hockey line changes around minute 60 each game so hit them with fresh legs.

A couple more thoughts:

1. Turner needs to be the new #1. He was so so good and will be playing every week while Steffen sits on the bench at city.
2. I am an Acosta convert. He was immense last night.
3. I love Hoppe. Dude plays with an arrogance that reminds me of Deuce.
4. Robinson and Sands were fantastic and both should be in the WCQ conversation. Robinson becomes the front runner to partner Brooks.
Berhalter is still a bit over his head but that is really just down to a lack of experience and tactical flexibility built into his system of play.

The sheer number of times they give the ball away when building out of the back comes down to obviously technical breakdowns with the player but also has a lot to do with the how the players are set up. For example, it's frustrating when they build out last night against the one striker system yet the two CB's were so close that any switch put them under pressure b/c the striker could close either of them down which meant mexico didn't have to jump to press the CB. Widen out a bit and force mexico to jump a mid to the next level where now the US can play 2v1 in the build up phase. The inability for the CB's to see the forward ball into the wingers feet as they check down into the spaces but instead launch a hopeful ball into Zardes for him to try to win in the air or bring down under pressure. Again, lack of tactical work on building out under pressure.

Miles and Sands were both good last night defensively especially Miles yet he needs to work on his ability with the ball. Sands is better on the ball but got a bit bullied by Mori.

Acosta was robust but he isn't a true 6 or just doesn't understand how to play that role and find open space as he should be the connector from back to front in the phase of play. Zardes is Zardes. Arriola is clearly not good enough for this level. Hoppe has a bit of arrogance to him and i think he might be better off playing 9 than on the wing. Llegett is serviceable and a good squad player but he's not a first XI kind of guy.

The good thing about winning this is that it'll give these younger guys(sands, robinson, bello, acosta, hoppe, turner) a bit more confidence when the real test comes for WCQ.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Berhalter is still a bit over his head but that is really just down to a lack of experience and tactical flexibility built into his system of play.

The sheer number of times they give the ball away when building out of the back comes down to obviously technical breakdowns with the player but also has a lot to do with the how the players are set up. For example, it's frustrating when they build out last night against the one striker system yet the two CB's were so close that any switch put them under pressure b/c the striker could close either of them down which meant mexico didn't have to jump to press the CB. Widen out a bit and force mexico to jump a mid to the next level where now the US can play 2v1 in the build up phase. The inability for the CB's to see the forward ball into the wingers feet as they check down into the spaces but instead launch a hopeful ball into Zardes for him to try to win in the air or bring down under pressure. Again, lack of tactical work on building out under pressure.

Miles and Sands were both good last night defensively especially Miles yet he needs to work on his ability with the ball. Sands is better on the ball but got a bit bullied by Mori.

Acosta was robust but he isn't a true 6 or just doesn't understand how to play that role and find open space as he should be the connector from back to front in the phase of play. Zardes is Zardes. Arriola is clearly not good enough for this level. Hoppe has a bit of arrogance to him and i think he might be better off playing 9 than on the wing. Llegett is serviceable and a good squad player but he's not a first XI kind of guy.

The good thing about winning this is that it'll give these younger guys(sands, robinson, bello, acosta, hoppe, turner) a bit more confidence when the real test comes for WCQ.
I would agree on all your points on GB's limitations. This was really evident against Qatar where they completely stunted the US attack by just having a striker shadow Acosta. That's all they had to do because GB loves his 6 to dictate play. It is why we have had to suffer through Trapp and Yuell as they have a decent ability to hit long passes. The fact he did not address this till half time, and barely even then, was shocking. I think this (GB's rigid directions) plays more into your comment on Acosta then his actual ability. That is not to say he is the next Kante (or even Adams), but when he plays for Colorado he has flashed the ability to find those spaces. This is why Adams is the most important player for the US in my opinion. He is the only one who has the ability to overcome GB's tactical limitations by sheer force of skill and athleticism. I also would love to see Hoppe get a run at the 9 with the full team. His constant, and smart, movement is great, as is his ability to drop and pick up the ball. Every time I see him he reminds me more and more of Deuce.

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
Three good qualifiers starting tomorrow. Any news on team selection?

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
Three good qualifiers starting tomorrow. Any news on team selection?
From what I know, Pulisic was tested positive for COVID-19 last week, which affects his availability for tomorrow's match. He did train with the team, but he hasn't travelled with the squad for the El Salvador match.

Other than that, it's business as usual.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
From what I know, Pulisic was tested positive for COVID-19 last week, which affects his availability for tomorrow's match. He did train with the team, but he hasn't travelled with the squad for the El Salvador match.

- Mussah is out as he is just back from injury
- Weah just pulled out due to injury
- Hoppe out as he is just back to playing and was working on transfer
- Richards out due to lack of games and working on transfer (loan)

Player to keep and eye on: Ricardo Pepi - 18yo FC Dallas striker who is likely going to break the record for MLS goals by an American. Rejected call up from Mexico to join US, so if he plays he is cap tied (sort of). He may be the (proverbial) No. 9 prospect we thought all the other ones were supposed to be.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
- Mussah is out as he is just back from injury
- Weah just pulled out due to injury
- Hoppe out as he is just back to playing and was working on transfer
- Richards out due to lack of games and working on transfer (loan)

Player to keep and eye on: Ricardo Pepi - 18yo FC Dallas striker who is likely going to break the record for MLS goals by an American. Rejected call up from Mexico to join US, so if he plays he is cap tied (sort of). He may be the (proverbial) No. 9 prospect we thought all the other ones were supposed to be.
Thanks for the updates.

I'm so scared of Pepi, by the way. I'm not looking forward to seeing him against us this Sunday. He's going to be great for the U.S. national team.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea

He tested positive August 18th - he's cleared protocols now though and has been training. Word is that they're leaving him out of the first game so he can work on his fitness more for the latter two games - and this is probably sensible management anyway as 3 games in 7 days is a risk given his injury history.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
In my FM games I always like to include an American player and an Oriental player due to our links and past history with some of these players.

What American player could you potentially see joining United in the future?

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Thanks for the updates.

I'm so scared of Pepi, by the way. I'm not looking forward to seeing him against us this Sunday. He's going to be great for the U.S. national team.
I hope so, but I wouldn't be too worried. Barring an injury to Sargeant he will be 100% starting against ya'll. Looking forward to a full strength matchup. My guess is that Gregg goes with this against Canada:

GK: Turner
LB: A. Robinson (Dest)
RB: Dest (Yedlin)
CB: M. Robinson
CB: Brooks
6: Addams
8: McKennie
8: Llegett (Acosta)
W's: Reyna, Pulisic (swapping)
CF: Sargeant

Of course watch him go and throw out a back 3 now :wenger:

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
In my FM games I always like to include an American player and an Oriental player due to our links and past history with some of these players.

Want: Adams,Adams,Adams,Adams,Adams,Adams X 1000000000000 His passing has improved so much and his engine is Kante like. He should be in the list of targets next summer for CDM.
Likely: ??? Adams is the best fit and I just don't see Utd going for Gio (although if we get Haaland wouldn't it be great to get the band back together?), so it is hard to say.

Oh, and we should sign Adams. Like now.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
I hope so, but I wouldn't be too worried. Barring an injury to Sargeant he will be 100% starting against ya'll. Looking forward to a full strength matchup. My guess is that Gregg goes with this against Canada:

GK: Turner
LB: A. Robinson (Dest)
RB: Dest (Yedlin)
CB: M. Robinson
CB: Brooks
6: Addams
8: McKennie
8: Llegett (Acosta)
W's: Reyna, Pulisic (swapping)
CF: Sargeant

Of course watch him go and throw out a back 3 now :wenger:
It worked the last time, so why not? You don't want to fix something that isn't broken. :wenger:

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
It worked the last time, so why not? You don't want to fix something that isn't broken. :wenger:
I cold see him doing it to free up Adams to help out the WB's with Davies and Buchannan. It's why I think he brought Sands who did really well against your lot as the central CB.

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
With the reformatted quick qualifying, the mark to hit to qualify for our countries is 24 points which on average is 1.7 points for games. Teams cautiously playing for draws are going to be left out. Two of the three teams the US plays this break will be parking the bus, I doubt Canada will. It will be interesting to see if we can break them down.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
I cold see him doing it to free up Adams to help out the WB's with Davies and Buchannan. It's why I think he brought Sands who did really well against your lot as the central CB.
Seriously speaking, I think a back 3 would be great against us. We're at our best when we can stretch the opposition, but when they're compact and have numbers at the back, we mostly struggle to break the opposition down and create chances. Sure, the likes of Davies and David will help big time in that regard as well as Eustáquio, but for the most part, Canada will make hard work of it. That will leave us open to the counter, which we struggle to deal with.

That's why tomorrow's match against Honduras will be a big test for Canada. If they can pass that, then I'll feel more confident about us facing the U.S.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
With the reformatted quick qualifying, the mark to hit to qualify for our countries is 24 points which on average is 1.7 points for games. Teams cautiously playing for draws are going to be left out. Two of the three teams the US plays this break will be parking the bus, I doubt Canada will. It will be interesting to see if we can break them down.
I don’t think El Salvador will. In the Gold Cup they didn’t vs the US, Qatar, or Mexico and that is simply not the style Perez plays. His teams press hard and high up the pitch. Maybe on the road bu I don’t think they will tomorrow.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout

If you ask me, I can't envision any American player joining United. If we had the chance to sign Pulisic when he was at Dortmund but didn't, then I don't see us signing any other American unless they're among the best players in the world.

The only exception to that is youth signings, but if I remember correctly, Matthew Olosunde was the last American to play for United's youth teams, and that was a long time ago.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
He tested positive August 18th - he's cleared protocols now though and has been training. Word is that they're leaving him out of the first game so he can work on his fitness more for the latter two games - and this is probably sensible management anyway as 3 games in 7 days is a risk given his injury history.
Definitely. The fact that Pulisic has trained with the national team is great news for them, but I always thought that he'd be unlikely to be involved against El Salvador. Regardless, the U.S. have enough quality in them to beat that team, so it's not like they'll be in need of Pulisic.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
If you ask me, I can't envision any American player joining United. If we had the chance to sign Pulisic when he was at Dortmund but didn't, then I don't see us signing any other American unless they're among the best players in the world.

The only exception to that is youth signings, but if I remember correctly, Matthew Olosunde was the last American to play for United's youth teams, and that was a long time ago.
Reyna will have a list of suitors in the coming year or two but he'd be sitting on the bench with the current crop at United.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
Reyna will have a list of suitors in the coming year or two but he'd be sitting on the bench with the current crop at United.
That's what I had in my mind when I made my post. Reyna's upward trajectory will make many clubs interested, but at the end of the day, I don't see United going after him unless they lose a mega-talented attacking player for whatever reason. Logically, we should really be going after Tyler Adams, but I've yet to see us even be mentioned as a potential next step for him, which kind of sucks.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
That's what I had in my mind when I made my post. Reyna's upward trajectory will make many clubs interested, but at the end of the day, I don't see United going after him unless they lose a mega-talented attacking player for whatever reason. Logically, we should really be going after Tyler Adams, but I've yet to see us even be mentioned as a potential next step for him, which kind of sucks.
Adams is going to blow up this year as he suits Marsch's traditional Red Bull style perfectly. RBL has struggled a bit out of the gate, not surprising given new coach and system, but Adams has still been excellent in each game I have watched. It is probably my National Team bias talking, but I really do think he is the perfect player to complete United midfield.

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
I don’t think El Salvador will. In the Gold Cup they didn’t vs the US, Qatar, or Mexico and that is simply not the style Perez plays. His teams press hard and high up the pitch. Maybe on the road bu I don’t think they will tomorrow.
That would make for two exciting matches out of three. I have 5 days off starting on Friday. Looking forward to these days of fishing and World Cup qualifying,

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
That would make for two exciting matches out of three. I have 5 days off starting on Friday. Looking forward to these days of fishing and World Cup qualifying,
Sounds delightful!

I would be ok with 7 points, but 9 really should be the target and the expectation.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
So excited about this game and team. Steffen missing the game means we get to see Turner starting, which is how it should have been anyways.

There is 1 (ONE!) player over 30 on the roster. The average age of the roster is a shade under 24, and the average age of the best XI is 23!

Hopefully this is the start of a true golden generation and we can can change the thread title.

bosskeano

There is a really strong group of kids coming through right now to join a good group of experienced young guys like weston, adams, pulisic and reyna. The one issue we have is that these guys aren't very experienced internationally.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
There is a really strong group of kids coming through right now to join a good group of experienced young guys like weston, adams, pulisic and reyna. The one issue we have is that these guys aren't very experienced internationally.
True, but the dudes who "showed up" in T&T 5 years ago were plenty experienced and the only guy who seemed to give a shit was 17 at the time. I'll take this option every day of the week.

bosskeano

True, but the dudes who "showed up" in T&T 5 years ago were plenty experienced and the only guy who seemed to give a shit was 17 at the time. I'll take this option every day of the week.
true....to be fair that pitch they played on 5 yrs ago was almost unplayable due to the flooding they had leading into that match. WIth that said, qualification should have been done n dusted before playing in trinidad.

That 17 yr old was probably the most talented player as well and thankfully we are much better off right now with the depth of this squad than at that point.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
true....to be fair that pitch they played on 5 yrs ago was almost unplayable due to the flooding they had leading into that match. WIth that said, qualification should have been done n dusted before playing in trinidad.

That 17 yr old was probably the most talented player as well and thankfully we are much better off right now with the depth of this squad than at that point.
The only thing flooded in qualifying was Arena's brain being flooded by arrogance. In the long run it may work out for the best we failed as it jump started the youth revolution. Arena also despised foreign born nationals, so I doubt we get Dest or Musah if he had stayed in the role any longer.

RU Devil

Was there anyone called up to replace Weah? Reduces the wide options so thought maybe Hoppe would get an emergency call, but he just moved so maybe not. Any idea how long Weah will be out?

bosskeano

The only thing flooded in qualifying was Arena's brain being flooded by arrogance. In the long run it may work out for the best we failed as it jump started the youth revolution. Arena also despised foreign born nationals, so I doubt we get Dest or Musah if he had stayed in the role any longer.
:lol:......not argument on that. Arena and his tactics were out of touch and his man management was poor as well. He wasn't a fan of foreign born players for sure. Speaking from my own personal experience of dealing with Bruce, he's an arrogant cocky ahole who likes certain players and certain style players so if u don't meet that criteria then you're done.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Was there anyone called up to replace Weah? Reduces the wide options so thought maybe Hoppe would get an emergency call, but he just moved so maybe not. Any idea how long Weah will be out?
Good question and one I also had. It does not look like they are going to call anyone up, and if they do I bet it's from MLS. Pulisic and Weah being out means we should see Aaronson and/or Konrad tonight, so that should be fun. They have both looked really good so far in the beginning of their seasons.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
:lol:......not argument on that. Arena and his tactics were out of touch and his man management was poor as well. He wasn't a fan of foreign born players for sure. Speaking from my own personal experience of dealing with Bruce, he's an arrogant cocky ahole who likes certain players and certain style players so if u don't meet that criteria then you're done.
Glad to see the portrait of Arena in my head matches reality.

Only half joking I bet tonight the starting CB's would be Ream and Omar with Bradley sitting in front of them as the 6 if he was coaching.

bosskeano

Glad to see the portrait of Arena in my head matches reality.

Only half joking I bet tonight the starting CB's would be Ream and Omar with Bradley sitting in front of them as the 6 if he was coaching.
oh fuk me....the idea of Omar in a national team kit still hurts my eyes. Ream never has carried over what he does at club level with the national team. Bradley would still be with the national team as would Zusi and Beckerman.

Pscholes18

I feel there are a lot of kids with great talent here who miss out because they can't afford to play on club/traveling teams.

sport2793

I feel there are a lot of kids with great talent here who miss out because they can't afford to play on club/traveling teams.
Literally everyone and their mother has already said the same thing in this thread :lol:

bosskeano

we have a scholarship program that covers the costs for players who can't afford it

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
US will be fine. Just win your home games and rest will take charge of itself in the Hex. Last time out didn't Mexico win in America for first time in ages?

Must say I'm really interested to see how Jamaica get on. They need a good start and if they do I imagine more U.K based players will show an interest in joining up and they should end the qualification with a very strong first 11, Michail Antonio in this squad and they want someone like Demarai Gray who's started season very well for Everton.

Think it will be strongest Concacaf qualification for a long time, Canada also have their best team for a while so could be in mix for play off place and perhaps Costa Rica will miss out as I assume many of their stalwarts from last decade have or close to retiring now.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
US will be fine. Just win your home games and rest will take charge of itself in the Hex. Last time out didn't Mexico win in America for first time in ages?

Must say I'm really interested to see how Jamaica get on. They need a good start and if they do I imagine more U.K based players will show an interest in joining up and they should end the qualification with a very strong first 11, Michail Antonio in this squad and they want someone like Demarai Gray who's started season very well for Everton.

Think it will be strongest Concacaf qualification for a long time, Canada also have their best team for a while so could be in mix for play off place and perhaps Costa Rica will miss out as I assume many of their stalwarts from last decade have or close to retiring now.
They got rid of the Hex, but in general I agree. The new setup (8 teams this time) actually helps the "bigger" teams as there are more points available to make up for slip ups.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
They got rid of the Hex, but in general I agree. The new setup (8 teams this time) actually helps the "bigger" teams as there are more points available to make up for slip ups.
Jeez just seen the format, 14 matches to play between now and what June? :eek: Although I assume intercontential play off will take place then.

Guess triple headers for every international break then otherwise no time to get it all in so going to be pretty taxing with some of the travelling and changes in temperature/altitude for some teams.