US Men's National Team Discussion

RU Devil

Any PL players who weren't released to CONCACAF due to COVID-19?! Don't look like any USA players affected while I believe Cavani was one of those players affected. News I've seen mentioned Mexico, Panama, and Costa Rica but not sure who.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Any PL players who weren't released to CONCACAF due to COVID-19?! Don't look like any USA players affected while I believe Cavani was one of those players affected. News I've seen mentioned Mexico, Panama, and Costa Rica but not sure who.
Only 4 US players in England I think (Steffen,Horvath,Pulisic, Sargeant) and all of them were released, so no issues for the US.

Edit: Forgot Ream. I am going to blame it on my subconscious not wanting to accept he is still being called up.

Le Red

Stop calling it soccer for starters. Rename that other sport as soft rugby.

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
Just noticed the match is on Paramount+. :rolleyes:

It's already bad enough that it's at 10:00pm.

Bertie Wooster

I follow the US from afar (I'm a Brit who'd love to see a strong USA national team and have followed them since the 90's).

I've seen the new, exciting generation develop and know about most. Of the starters tonight, I haven't seen much footage of Aaronson and de la Fuente. I've seen their stats and know their positions, but what are their best attributes?

And I've been reading about the teenage striker, Pepi. I see he's 6'1" but, from what I can make out, seems to be more about his ability to find space in the box rather than his aerial / hold up play. Is that right? And is he particularly quick and / or technically gifted?

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Just noticed the match is on Paramount+. :rolleyes:

It's already bad enough that it's at 10:00pm.
Yeah. I got it for champions league and thankfully never canceled. Home games are on ESPN I think, but Paramount bought away rights.

Wait…according to ussoccer.com it’s also on cbs sports network, which most cable providers have.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
I follow the US from afar (I'm a Brit who'd love to see a strong USA national team and have followed them since the 90's).

I've seen the new, exciting generation develop and know about most. Of the starters tonight, I haven't seen much footage of Aaronson and de la Fuente. I've seen their stats and know their positions, but what are their best attributes?

And I've been reading about the teenage striker, Pepi. I see he's 6'1" but, from what I can make out, seems to be more about his ability to find space in the box rather than his aerial / hold up play. Is that right? And is he particularly quick and / or technically gifted?
Hi!

aaronson moved from Philly in MLS last year to RB Salzburg. His game has come on leaps and bounds. Tricky outside attacker who loves to come inside and has goals in him (one in each game in recent CL qualifiers). Has an insane engine. Never gets tired.

Konrad just moved from Barca to Marseille. His is a pure winger. Excellent dribbler and really good pace.

pepi is, hopefully, a striking prospect who actually reaches his hopes potential. Greenwood level finishing ability but no where near as polished or tested.

Bertie Wooster

Hi!

aaronson moved from Philly in MLS last year to RB Salzburg. His game has come on leaps and bounds. Tricky outside attacker who loves to come inside and has goals in him (one in each game in recent CL qualifiers). Has an insane engine. Never gets tired.

Konrad just moved from Barca to Marseille. His is a pure winger. Excellent dribbler and really good pace.

pepi is, hopefully, a striking prospect who actually reaches his hopes potential. Greenwood level finishing ability but no where near as polished or tested.
Thanks for all that. I've got a much better idea of the types of players they are now. :)

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
Yeah. I got it for champions league and thankfully never canceled. Home games are on ESPN I think, but Paramount bought away rights.

Wait…according to ussoccer.com it’s also on cbs sports network, which most cable providers have.
I don't have CBS Sports Network, but I renewed Paramount+ for the same reason so I should be ok. It's still obnoxious to put it behind paywalls. What else is on CBS right now? Nothing worthwhile.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Watching the pregame show and I am loving it. 3 of my all time favorite players (Gooch, Deuce, and Edu), plus one of the biggest “what if’s” in US soccer in Charlie Davis.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Concacaff going to concacaf with fecking fireworks going off during gameplay

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
It is annoying the video is such low quality. I have seen better coverage of college lacrosse.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
ES’s intensity is not sustainable, so this should mellow out in the second half.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
It’s not an away game in CONCACAF unless there is a chain link fence and riot police

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Only the fecking US would move Barca’s starting right back over to the left, where he has never looked good, to make room for motheefecking Deandre Yedlin

edcunited1878

Only the fecking US would move Barca’s starting right back over to the left, where he has never looked good, to make room for motheefecking Deandre Yedlin
In a back four system...I can understand if he's a wingback if they are in a back 3, but yeah.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
I’m obviously talking to myself at this point, but it is maddening that teams are allowed to have cow pastures as pitches. That ball is bobbling all over the place.

edcunited1878

Redirected the ball towards the corner flag instead of forward, towards goal. A CF instead of a CM attacking that ball would have been a bit better.

Thing is, we've seen much worse pitches than what they are playing on tonight.

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
Another that should have been in. Their defence is tarting to struggle to get back.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Redirected the ball towards the corner flag instead of forward, towards goal. A CF instead of a CM attacking that ball would have been a bit better.

Thing is, we've seen much worse pitches than what they are playing on tonight.
That is not a high bar to clear.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
This one is half on Berhalter and half on the players. The effort level was embarrassing and the lineup was just stupid. Can’t believe I got excited and stayed up for this shit. Gotta get up in 5 hours for work. feck all of them.

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
5 points out of these three games is looking probable. We should have scored at least three times.

edcunited1878

The games aren't a given but you have to show enough quality to score clear chances. And US didn't do that. Having Pulisic won't change anything if they cannot improve their tempo in the attacking 3rd.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
The games aren't a given but you have to show enough quality to score clear chances. And US didn't do that. Having Pulisic won't change anything if they cannot improve their tempo in the attacking 3rd.
Agreed. It was so disjointed. The decision to start Aaronson at 10 when he is on the wing for RBS and Reyna on the wing when he has been playenibg central for BBV was just stupid. Also, Dest on the left NEVER WORKS.

edcunited1878

Agreed. It was so disjointed. The decision to start Aaronson at 10 when he is on the wing for RBS and Reyna on the wing when he has been playenibg central for BBV was just stupid. Also, Dest on the left NEVER WORKS.
Figuring out how to get the best of Pulisic, Reyna, McKennie, Adams is important. Reyna needs to be central, McKennie is good coming late into the box from central midfield, Adams can dictate from midfield and Pulisic must connect everything make runs since he's the fastest forward player.

g11

USMNT played like a bunch of headless chickens running around aimlessly tonight.
feel like watching a bunch of baby Dan James on the field at the same time.

bosskeano

Not sure outside of Mexico and maybe Canada, if you avoid turf, you'll find any decent pitches to play on in CONCACAF. That's just something you have to deal with when playing away from home.

Reyna should definitely play as #10 with Weston and Adams in the engine room. We have enough depth and talent on the wings to allow him to play centrally.

Certainly wasn't the most convincing performance but for a majority of these guys, it was their first time playing in a WCQ away from home so a really good experience and an important point.

I'm going to be at the game in Nashville on Sunday so it should be a lot of fun.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Not sure outside of Mexico and maybe Canada, if you avoid turf, you'll find any decent pitches to play on in CONCACAF. That's just something you have to deal with when playing away from home.

Reyna should definitely play as #10 with Weston and Adams in the engine room. We have enough depth and talent on the wings to allow him to play centrally.

Certainly wasn't the most convincing performance but for a majority of these guys, it was their first time playing in a WCQ away from home so a really good experience and an important point.

I'm going to be at the game in Nashville on Sunday so it should be a lot of fun.
Jealous!

Agree with your points regarding the pitches, but it is still frustrating. I am still trying to wrap my head around 2 of GB's decisions:

1. Fullbacks: Dest looked bad, like really bad, but this should not be shocking as he has never looked comfortable on the left. The only thing that is shocking is GB doing it over and over again to get guys like Cannon and Yedlin on the pitch. This would be like putting Shaw on the Right just so you could get Williams on the left. It makes no sense whatsoever. It needs to stop now, but I am worried GB is going to think "Dest looked bad, time for him to go to the bench". Insane.

2. Reyna on the wing and Aaronson in the middle: El Salvador could not have done a better job of nullifying the strengths of these 2 guys than GB did. Reyna's strength is getting on the ball and pulling strings. Aaronson's strength is making runs from wide into the middle. So of course it makes complete sense to put Reyna on the wing and Aaaronson in the middle. Also insane.

McKennie looked quite poor and the lack of any midfield cohesion also sunk us as. I heard on a podcast that Juve have been less than impressed with the way he reported back so maybe that is trickling over??

Final thought (for now): Adams is just so good. He was everywhere cleaning up messes and his passing was decent to good. I more than ever want him at Utd. He is exactly what the team needs.