g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

US Men's National Team Discussion

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Hyperbole overload. It was a good performance from the US and Pulisic played well and his third goal was well taken. World class? Let’s get some context. Shite defending from a shite team. Way, way too easy to score there.

Lalas is currently wetting himself in typically hyperbolic, ridiculous fashion on FS1.

Today was a good performance after a poor display against Mexico. It’ll be good to see the US in the World Cup again, and hopefully this team can peak in time for the 2026 World Cup on home soil. Hoping to see some great games here in Chicago.
Yeah I’m with @bosskeano on this, the US dominated Mexico like never before in the Azteca. xG was 3x for the US and Steffens had basically nothing to do.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
Yeah I’m with @bosskeano on this, the US dominated Mexico like never before in the Azteca. xG was 3x for the US and Steffens had basically nothing to do.
The fact they didn’t walk away with a win is what contributes to my assessment that it was a poor display. They created 2-3 clear cut chances, which they badly missed, but the rest of the game was a tactical mess against a desperately poor Mexico side. Coming away from that game with a goalless draw is a huge disappointment, Mexico were there for the taking. Tbh, they were there for the beating. In fact, the last 10-15 mins the US were hanging on a bit, and could easily have lost it:

Putting aside the historical inferiority complex, my feeling walking away from that game was of a huge opportunity missed, and a lot of work to be done. I think people got giddy because it was Mexico at the Azteca, but that doesn’t mean what it used to. This Mexico team is appalling. If the US wanted to make a statement, they’d need to go to the Azteca and put Mexico to the sword. They didn’t do that. They were the better team in a shit game, and came away with a point.

bosskeano

The fact they didn’t walk away with a win is what contributes to my assessment that it was a poor display. They created 2-3 clear cut chances, which they badly missed, but the rest of the game was a tactical mess against a desperately poor Mexico side. Coming away from that game with a goalless draw is a huge disappointment, Mexico were there for the taking. Tbh, they were there for the beating. In fact, the last 10-15 mins the US were hanging on a bit, and could easily have lost it:

Putting aside the historical inferiority complex, my feeling walking away from that game was of a huge opportunity missed, and a lot of work to be done. I think people got giddy because it was Mexico at the Azteca, but that doesn’t mean what it used to. This Mexico team is appalling. If the US wanted to make a statement, they’d need to go to the Azteca and put Mexico to the sword. They didn’t do that. They were the better team in a shit game, and came away with a point.
Not walking away with a win, simply due to poor finishing, shouldn't mean it was a poor display. In fact it was quite the opposite and i don't see how you can say it was a tactical mess? they limited Mexico to basically zero goal scoring chances until the last 15 or so minutes when Greg went conservative and put 5 at the back. That i'm sure was partly due to the altitude/fatigue PLUS having the panama game in mind.

While they put on a performance good enough to win, coming away with the point was just as massive as opposed to leaving themselves open at nil-nil and possibly giving up a late goal.

That single point has allowed them to go to Costa Rica now knowing anything but a 6-0 loss and they are off to the World Cup.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Not walking away with a win, simply due to poor finishing, shouldn't mean it was a poor display. In fact it was quite the opposite and i don't see how you can say it was a tactical mess? they limited Mexico to basically zero goal scoring chances until the last 15 or so minutes when Greg went conservative and put 5 at the back. That i'm sure was partly due to the altitude/fatigue PLUS having the panama game in mind.

While they put on a performance good enough to win, coming away with the point was just as massive as opposed to leaving themselves open at nil-nil and possibly giving up a late goal.

That single point has allowed them to go to Costa Rica now knowing anything but a 6-0 loss and they are off to the World Cup.
I know you say that, but I think that historical bias speaking. Watching the game it was a tactical mess. It was end to end playground football. Mexico weren’t nullified by excellent tactics, they were nullified by having a terrible final ball. Giving the ball away countless times under no pressure. I understand it was a good point for them but while I was routing for them to win, it rankled with me the inevitable hyperbole that struck after the game. I thought the US could have shown a bit more composure and patience and comfortably won that game. But it was Helter skelter nonsense against a very poor side.

I’m not saying this to crap on the US. I’ve lived here for twenty years. It’s my second team now. I’ve been deeply involved in the soccer industry here and have affiliations with MLS sides. It matters to me. But I see the same pattern with fans and pundits over here as I do back in England, especially with regards to the inherent inferiority complexes both countries have on the football field. There is this tendency to overhype performances and players and as result set ourselves up for (a) crushing disappointment and (b) to accept mediocrity as some sort of achievement. There were fans and pundits alike lauding Pulisic’s goal as world class and “putting the world on notice”, when in reality it was a tidy goal against a piss poor Panama team.

I’m being deliberately harsh because while historically going to Azteca and putting in that type of performance and getting that result would be exceptional, times have changed. The US has a much better squad than Mexico, or indeed anyone else in CONCACAF (which I’m delighted about) but they are yet to realise that potential dominance. Mexico used to be the bench mark for the US, but now it is a team they should be comfortably beating.

Maybe I’m wrong. But as a secondary US fan I came away from the Mexico game feeling disappointed and that it was an opportunity missed.

bosskeano

Don't worry. You guys are on the up and are slowly getting better. You may even be as good as us Canadians one day in the future ;-)
Credit where it is due to Canada....you guys have been outstanding this campaign and have a pretty solid squad that is very well balanced.

@simonhch i think a lot of came away disappointed that they didn't win the match given the 3 glorious chances they had and just how much they limited the opportunities for Mexico. I still think the performance against Mexico was better than the performance against Panama regardless of scoreline. Now maybe fatigue started to play a factor but i thought in the second half against Panama, they went into a defensive shell a bit and allowed Panama too much time and possession but maybe that was the plan at half to absorb, open them up and play on the counter.

I was fortunate enough to take part during my youth days to represent the US and get called into two US camps in my early 20's so for me it's just good to see the US finally putting a decent product back out onto the pitch

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Don't worry. You guys are on the up and are slowly getting better. You may even be as good as us Canadians one day in the future ;-)
It's always nice to see little brother have a bit of success. It makes the inevitable humbling all the sweeter :)

Seriously though, great to see Canada improving and performing so well. An improved CONCACAF can only help all of us.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Credit where it is due to Canada....you guys have been outstanding this campaign and have a pretty solid squad that is very well balanced.

@simonhch i think a lot of came away disappointed that they didn't win the match given the 3 glorious chances they had and just how much they limited the opportunities for Mexico. I still think the performance against Mexico was better than the performance against Panama regardless of scoreline. Now maybe fatigue started to play a factor but i thought in the second half against Panama, they went into a defensive shell a bit and allowed Panama too much time and possession but maybe that was the plan at half to absorb, open them up and play on the counter.

I was fortunate enough to take part during my youth days to represent the US and get called into two US camps in my early 20's so for me it's just good to see the US finally putting a decent product back out onto the pitch
I hear you. My brother was a professional footballer and when I was over here for the 94 World Cup I got to scrimmage with a bunch of guys that were either in or around the US squad, including Cobi Jones. Was pretty awesome. Made me realise how bad I was.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Surprisingly strong starting lineup, but good to see GB taking no chances. I do think LDT deserves to keep his spot over Acosta but that’s minor.

bosskeano

surprised by the lineups.....US puts out a strong group and Costa Rica protects a few of their top players

Greg wants badly to win in Costa Rica and put a bit of a stamp on this group that winning is the only option and I REALLY like that mentality

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
No I am just alone right now in Times Square, sitting in Yards House with nothing better to do than heckle at Americans on the caf :(
Go to the south side of 25th between 5th and 6th to Smithfield - you'll have a much better time as it's a Man United bar!

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Apologies but had the cross street wrong - it's further south on 25th! I like Stout and Legends on 33rd - Stout is further west but both aren't dedicated Man United bars.
Legends is full of Chelsea fans.
Most the soccer fans Ive met here are either Chelsea or Man City fans.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Meh first half. US not getting out of first gear and CR seems to be tiring after pressing their asses off in the first 30. Second half (assuming US makes a bunch of changes) could be brutal in the eyes.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
:lol: CR player tried the Kane move and got a knee right in the back. Someone should pull that on Kane.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
:lol: , first shot on target and they score. Something about playing in Costa Rica is the US kryptonite.

Charrockero

Supports
Chivas de Guadalajara
:lol: , first shot on target and they score. Something about playing in Costa Rica is the US kryptonite.
Costa Rica is a difficult visit. They are better locals than Mexico for sure.

forevrared

:nervous:
Steffens is such a liability
We cannot seriously have a cup keeper (at best) as our #1. He’s not even very good. Turner is about to be in the same boat at Arsenal.

Horvath is the only keeper we have that actually plays. I think Slonina enters the picture sooner than later, but if he moves to Europe he’s likely to be in the same boat as Steffen/Turner. Good enough for a decent club to want him, but not good enough to be their #1.

Charrockero

Supports
Chivas de Guadalajara
Surprisingly, Martino made changes and placed Antuna and Vega over Lozano and Corona. This has improved the pace and the first chance Vega had ended in a rebound goal. If Mexico manages to end 3-0 or more it would be a good result.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
We cannot seriously have a cup keeper (at best) as our #1. He’s not even very good. Turner is about to be in the same boat at Arsenal.

Horvath is the only keeper we have that actually plays. I think Slonina enters the picture sooner than later, but if he moves to Europe he’s likely to be in the same boat as Steffen/Turner. Good enough for a decent club to want him, but not good enough to be their #1.
being really shitty forced GB to break his Trapp and Zardes addictions. I do t think anything breaks his Steffen addiction.