US Men's National Team Discussion

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
Exactly why I preached an abundance of caution in response to the hyperbole overload of the last week.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Exactly why I preached an abundance of caution in response to the hyperbole overload of the last week.
I don’t think anyone was hyperbolic. The Mexico game was the best we have played at the Azteca in WCQ in my lifetime. The first half of the Panama game was the best half we have played this cycle. Those are both true (in my opinion) just like this was a dead rubber for the US and a trial game for a lot of young players for CR. We are still the US and not a top (or even next) tier team yet.

bosskeano

not the best performance but given the circumstances all that matters is......US is going to the World Cup!

Definitely some serious questions need to be asked of our goal keeping situation which has always been one of our strong suits....Steffen struggled both matches with catching crosses

unless someone emerges our keepers are probably going to be Horvath, Steffen and Turner

i honestly think the group is relatively set in stone for positions

back four will probably be Dest, Walker, Miles, Antonnee.......imagine Bello will be the left back sub, Yedlin the right back sub, not sure about CB's unless he decides to bring back John Brooks

midfield is pretty easy.....Adams, McKennie, Musah......De La Torre and Costa will probably make the squad

Forward line is the more intriguing......Pulisic, Pepi, Weah, Reyna and Aaronson are locks. Does he bring Jesus Ferrera or Morris? Pefok as he adds a different type of threat. Paul Arriola?

There is a lot of quality in this US team and there is some actual real depth in the midfield and attack....the backs worry me though with strength and depth

holdsteady

Hates Sir Alex Ferguson
I don't see it with the Robinson-Zimmerman pairing. He should really bring Brooks back in for one of them. I think they will struggle once they meet the pace of higher caliber teams. There's a rick in Robinson as well, we saw it last night.

It's an exciting side going forward when fully healthy you have to admit that.

FerociousCorgis

it is amazing how just being happy to go is back to where we are at with the most talented pool of players we've ever had. Even i didnt quite realize we only qualified directly thru GD. Just pathetic really. No faith that Berhalter will be replaced after world cup like he should.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
not the best performance but given the circumstances all that matters is......US is going to the World Cup!

Definitely some serious questions need to be asked of our goal keeping situation which has always been one of our strong suits....Steffen struggled both matches with catching crosses

unless someone emerges our keepers are probably going to be Horvath, Steffen and Turner

i honestly think the group is relatively set in stone for positions

back four will probably be Dest, Walker, Miles, Antonnee.......imagine Bello will be the left back sub, Yedlin the right back sub, not sure about CB's unless he decides to bring back John Brooks

midfield is pretty easy.....Adams, McKennie, Musah......De La Torre and Costa will probably make the squad

Forward line is the more intriguing......Pulisic, Pepi, Weah, Reyna and Aaronson are locks. Does he bring Jesus Ferrera or Morris? Pefok as he adds a different type of threat. Paul Arriola?

There is a lot of quality in this US team and there is some actual real depth in the midfield and attack....the backs worry me though with strength and depth
My thoughts

GK (3): Steffen, Turner, Horvath In my mind it needs to be Turner but it will certainly be Steffen. Johnson might be in for Horvath but as the 3rd string it doesn't really matter I suppose.
RB (3): Dest, Yedlin, Cannon Based on every qualifying roster he has put together it is apparent that Berhalter views Dest as his backup LB. Even when he could bring in unlimited players he never did.
LB (1): Robinson Maybe Bello gets the call but every sign points to Dest as the backup. So stupid but that's Gregg for you.
CB (4): Zimmerman, Robinson, Richards, Long Greggy loves him some MLS CB's and also hates him some Brooks so I bet Long gets the call over Brooks. Brook's complete lack of pace and mobility does not fit in with Gregg's high line approach and if there is one thing we know about Gregg it's that he is arrogant enough to believe he will never need to adjust his tactics to fit the opposition.
MF (6): Adams, Mussah, McKennie, Acosta, LDT, Roldan Roldan has been on every roster GB has put together when healthy except this last one so there is a hope he stops. My concern is that he brings him to provide "leadership" (more below), but this slot should go to Pefok or Arriola/Morris.
W (5): Pulisic, Weah, Aaronsson, Reyna These are pretty much locks. Would like one more attacked (see above) but I think GB sees Roldan as being able to "play" on the wing.
CF (2): Pepi, Fereira Fereira started the most important game in the window and Pepi needs to be there. Weah and even Pulisic can slot in at CF but I would feel better if we had another attacked (see above)

Looking at that roster one things jumps immediately to the front of my mind and that is that there really is a missing generation for US soccer. The only guys who are not GK's on that roster who will will be over 25 will be Yedlin and Zimmerman (and maybe Roldan). That is insane and will be why we are likely not getting past the first knockout round if we even get out of our group. It bodes well for '26 but it is an indictment of the Klinnsman and Arena era and the lack of player development.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
I don't see it with the Robinson-Zimmerman pairing. He should really bring Brooks back in for one of them. I think they will struggle once they meet the pace of higher caliber teams. There's a rick in Robinson as well, we saw it last night.

It's an exciting side going forward when fully healthy you have to admit that.
I love Brooks and think he should 100% be back in the team, but he is the slowest and least mobile of all our CB options.

FerociousCorgis

I love Brooks and think he should 100% be back in the team, but he is the slowest and least mobile of all our CB options.
and also one of the ones playing the most minutes in one of the top leagues in the world. And yet him and scally will be watching the world cup, guaranteed, due to berhalter being a dumbass.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
and also one of the ones playing the most minutes in one of the top leagues in the world. And yet him and scally will be watching the world cup, guaranteed, due to berhalter being a dumbass.
My biggest issue with Berhalter is that he is a lying piece of shit and a coward. He should just be honest that he don't want certain players because of personality/style/skill issues. Instead he harps on "we want guys who are playing consistent minutes" to dismiss one guy who is not getting starter minutes (Scally) while calling in guys (Cannon/Yedlin) who are not playing or who don't even have a club, or he'll say "we want guys who are in form" to justify not calling in guys (Brooks) while calling in guys who are not playing or who suck when they do (Sands). He is an arrogant coward and needs replacing but his brother hired him and his buddies are in charge so get ready for Berhlater in '26 boys, cuz he ain't getting fired.

bosskeano

What a great draw for the US....England will be a tough match but it's a match that honestly will suit the US than say playing Spain/Argentina someone like that who is a more possession based team

If you get Wales or Scotland....that's the same as England in terms of style but just not with the same quality. FFS we should easily beat Scotland as their shit, Wales would simply be can we defend Bale wiht Ukraine being a complete wild card. Iran is an absolute must 3 points

I think the US could win the group but most definitely should advance to the knockouts

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
Will Iran have the USs number again?
Tough to call the group; the US has a chance no doubt but at the same time they could end up winless.

bosskeano

Today was another example of why the US keeper position has become the weak spot when it was always the strength of the player pool for 20-25 years.
i agree that what was once a massive strength for the US is a massive concern going into the WC....however you have to feel a bit sorry for Steffan just given he NEVER plays and to get thrown into a cup semifinal at wembley against Liverpool is not going to be easy

all that said....bro, put your foot thru the ball and don't think you are ederson

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
Steffen needs to play every week. He has skills, they need to be used every week. That said I like Turner better. Guzman is getting up there in age. I wouldn’t be opposed to Steffen at Atlanta United next year.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Well, I guess this means Brooks may get a look again. Gutted for Robinson, he was a real bright spot in the chaos that was qualifying, and this could not come at a worse time for his WC chances and a move to Europe.

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
Something is seriously wrong in Atlanta. 20 serious injuries in one month. Almost half of them season ending.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Something is seriously wrong in Atlanta. 20 serious injuries in one month. Almost half of them season ending.
20 serious injuries?!?

Their practice facilities years back were Fieldturf, but that was way back in the Silverback era. Don’t know if they still train there or not.

FerociousCorgis

Doubt Brooks gets a look in regardless until berhalter is gone. There's some serious beef between them

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Doubt Brooks gets a look in regardless until berhalter is gone. There's some serious beef between them
Brooks has said all the right things publicly, so if there is a beef it is staying well hidden. My personal belief is that Greggy doesn’t really like foreign born nats. Mussah made himself undroppable from day 1 and Gregg has fecked around with Dest every window. If A. Robinson had not locked down the left FB position I would bet anything he would have thrown Dest onto his weaker side to fit in Yedlin. Pefok has been ignored despite having a good season in France.

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
I did some digging. I had read 20 injuries, but that number includes some players that went out at the end of last year and are still injured. The list of injuries is insane. This is the list 10 games in and you have to add Robinson and Wiley who left the last game injured.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
Despite not being called up for the upcoming Nations League games, at least this is great news for the American national team.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Really good game tonight. Absolutely dominated an almost first team Morocco, even while missing 4 locked in starters in Robinson, Dest, Reyna, and McKinnie (posted 20 min ). Pulisic was world class for the first goal and Adams dominated the midfield while he was on. Best I’ve seen is play in a while.