US Politics

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
I love reading the mainstream media and their balanced, unslanted, coverage of the issues

However, despite Medicare for All being touted by former Democratic presidential frontrunner Vermont Senator Bernie Sanders, House Speaker Nancy Pelosi and other Senate Democrats focused on healthcare reform have dismissed it, mostly because a national overhaul would remove whatever insurance Americans currently have, creating widespread instability and insecurity.

Many critics of Medicare for All worry also about "rationed" care that discriminates against sicker patients, an overall decline in the quality of care or the high taxes that would be required to fund such an overhaul. Furthermore, a national healthcare plan would only improve health outcomes if it coincided with large investments in local health centers and outreach efforts to make medical care more widely accessible and preventative.

The healthcare reform plan touted by presumptive Democratic Presidential nominee Joe Biden would leave employer-based health insurance plans intact while also adding a subsidized, Medicare-based public option for small businesses and individuals. However, large employers and their employees wouldn't be able to buy into his public option.

A February 26 report by the Committee for a Responsible Federal Budget estimated that the 10-year cost of Biden's plan would be $2.25 trillion while Sanders' Medicare for All plan would cost $30.6 trillion.
https://www.newsweek.com/69-percent...-46-percent-republicans-new-poll-says-1500187

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
In GOP plan, you can't sue your employers for giving you COVID — but they can sue you

"It would absolve employers of responsibility for taking any but the most minimal steps to make their workplaces safe. It would preempt tough state workplace safety laws (not that there are very many of them).

And while shutting the courthouse door to workers, it would allow employers to sue workers for demanding safer conditions.

The proposal would supersede such federal worker safeguards as the Occupational Safety and Health Act of 1970, the Fair Labor Standards Act of 1938, the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 and the Genetic Information Nondiscrimination Act of 2008, among others.

In plain English, the Republicans are proposing to eviscerate almost all workplace protections at the moment when the threat to workers' health may be at its highest in a century. Let's not overlook that federal enforcement of workplace safety is anything but strong to begin with. The maximum OSHA penalty is $13,494 per violation."

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/column-gop-plan-cant-sue-172938487.html?soc_src=community

https://www.latimes.com/business/story/2020-07-29/covid-employer-liability

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
OMG. For the sake of everyone...I hope this is fake.

I mean, honestly it is a perfect reflection of the trump "christian" supporter:

1) Unashamed flaunting of wealth - check (bonus point for being on a yacht)
2) Married man with woman not spouse with unbuttoned pants? - check (bonus point for trolling the hell out of Pence)
3) Lying about drinking? check
4) Punchable face? Hell yah

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
That article sounds eerily like a Righteous Gemstones episode, minus the main person in the photos killing people and then later showing the video to everyone in his inner circle.

nimic

something nice
Scout

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
A book about the Never Trump Republicans was reivewed here: https://newrepublic.com/article/158703/never-trumpers-already-won-review-saldin-teles-book

Basically what I've been screaming about - they're taking over the Dem party and moving it further right. It's written about 400 times better than my posts.

And then two of them confirm it:
1st
If Democrats Take the Senate, Our Democracy Is in a New Kind of Danger
(basically complaining that some Dems have said the filibuster might fall. that drivel is behind a paywall so I'm spared gnashing my teeth for 2 extra minutes).

2nd

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
I'm confused. Are you saying you are unmoved? Is Ed Asante someone I should know? This was a weird repost.
it was the top reply under the tweet, im always fascinated by psycopaths like that.
"Analytically grounded opinionated, political junkie American" he cares about the facts not feelings!

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
it was the top reply under the tweet, im always fascinated by psycopaths like that.
"Analytically grounded opinionated, political junkie American" he cares about the facts not feelings!
Ok, thanks. This makes sense now. I would agree that a surprising number of people lack even basic empathy.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
Tuberville has the nerve to tell regular working folks who lost their job due to circumstances beyond their control - a global pandemic - they don’t deserve $600 a week in unemployment benefits. This is a guy who has been paid millions from former employers NOT to work: $5.1 million from Auburn in 2008. Around $2 million from the University of Cincinnati in 2016.

Tuberville has been credited for starting the multi-million dollar buyout of coaches.

Tuberville was a pioneer in making unemployment a million dollar business for fire-able mediocre football coaches. Like himself. But now, as the Republican candidate for U.S. Senate, giving regular ol’ unemployed folks a fair shake is just “way too much.”

Welcome back to the drawing board, Coach Tuberville. I have a feeling you’re gonna be way too much fun.
https://www.al.com/news/2020/08/tommy-buyout-tubervilles-clueless-hypocrisy-is-way-too-much-fun.html

Ouch!

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
A book about the Never Trump Republicans was reivewed here: https://newrepublic.com/article/158703/never-trumpers-already-won-review-saldin-teles-book

Basically what I've been screaming about - they're taking over the Dem party and moving it further right. It's written about 400 times better than my posts.

And then two of them confirm it:
1st
If Democrats Take the Senate, Our Democracy Is in a New Kind of Danger
(basically complaining that some Dems have said the filibuster might fall. that drivel is behind a paywall so I'm spared gnashing my teeth for 2 extra minutes).

2nd

Raoul

Admin
Staff
If Roberts is getting attacked from both fringes then he's probably doing a fairly decent job.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
If Roberts is getting attacked from both fringes then he's probably doing a fairly decent job.

you can read the article, it explains why he is attacked by both sides.

otoh, both the communist party and some generals disliked hitler, probably he was doing a god job.

Reactions: oneniltothearsenal

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
A more pertinent example is Mitch McConnell who has low approval ratings from Republicans and was booed at the 2016 RNC, and who a lot of liberals and leftists don't like. I am going to be very bold and say that does not mean he is doing a centrist balancing act.

oneniltothearsenal

Scout
Supports

Only if you consider consolidating more power and wealth into the hangs of the largest corporations and richest individuals, stripping the social safety net even further, granting employers more legal recourse than employees, increasing the economic inequalities, and creating a platform for more social conservative changes and subverting the more pluralistic economic values of the 60s-70s as "fairly decent job".

Raoul

Admin
Staff
you can read the article, it explains why he is attacked by both sides.

otoh, both the communist party and some generals disliked hitler, probably he was doing a god job.
I did read the article. It's the left wing view, which I expected when I saw Sriracha was the author. The fact that most Republicans are disappointed with him tells us all we need to know on him. He's clearly not a reliable rubber stamp for them, which can be regarded as a small win in terms of a Republican SCOTUS selection not going down the Scalia/Thomas route.

oneniltothearsenal

Scout
Supports
I did read the article. It's the left wing view, which I expected when I saw Sriracha was the author. The fact that most Republicans are disappointed with him tells us all we need to know on him. He's clearly not a reliable rubber stamp for them, which can be regarded as a small win in terms of a Republican SCOTUS selection not going down the Scalia/Thomas route.
Except most Republicans are not disappointed with him. The corporatists that want to increase income inequality and strip the social safety have been delighted with him. Even the most extreme social conservative activists are getting more of what they want than they realize:
https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2020/06/social-conservatives-roberts-trump/613660/

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
Scalia voted against the republican view on free speech a few times.

Regardless, there are multiple examples where opposition from your own party doesn't mean you aren't doing a job for them, and Mitch is the closest example. He is doing an exemplary partisan job but gets no mass support for it. A lower-profile example is trump's NLRB, which has voted to reduce free speech for workers (like James Damore and more recent cases involving racism and sexism) since it can eventually be used to destroy unionisation.

Roberts and Mitch are thinking long-term, on the distribution of power how difficult a change to minority rule will be. It is not glamorous work, and for Roberts it means going on the wrong side of the culture war sometimes. But it is far more important and meaningful; in 20 years if there is a Dem president and majority that's when these obstacles will become apparent. The main things propping up the GOP are Citizens United, the gutting of the VRA, and the lack of legal ways to check employer power (like the almost total ban on class-acton employee lawsuits). Striking down Roe v Wade directly could provoke a backlash which the party would not enjoy. So Roberts can take a few punches from movement conservatives for the long-term goal of maintaining corporate power.

e - the article contains a graph of the proportion of cases won by the Chamber of Commerce, it is higher now than under Rehnquist, who also enjoyed a 5-4 conservative majority like Roberts.

Last edited:

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Except most Republicans are not disappointed with him. The corporatists that want to increase income inequality and strip the social safety have been delighted with him. Even the most extreme social conservative activists are getting more of what they want than they realize:
https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2020/06/social-conservatives-roberts-trump/613660/
Trump is currently the power structure of the Republican Party. Ask any Trumper what they think about Roberts and you will see how popular he is with Republicans at the moment.

oneniltothearsenal

Scout
Supports
Trump is currently the power structure of the Republican Party. Ask any Trumper what they think about Roberts and you will see how popular he is with Republicans at the moment.
I've already done that and they weren't disappointed at all. It's only a handful of activists that don't grasp legal theory that are unhappy. Read that article and you'll see why. You can't just make statements like 'most republicans" without backing that up, since its just not true that most Republicans are unhappy with him.

And for the record, as Berba illustrated that measure of whether someone is doing a good, that would mean Hitler was doing a bang-up job. To claim he is "doing fairly decent" simply because some people on both sides are not happy rather than what he is actually doing with legal rulings is an absurd standard to judge a justice, especially a Chief Justice. And if your barometer for decent job is "not Scalia" then you have an extremely low bar.