US Politics

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
She knows she is going to get brutalized in the 26 primary, so this is her "make as much cash as possible" milestone on her Going Full Tulsi journey. Never go Full Tulsi.

Hamnat

Scary scenario is her running as the indie, the Dem vote gets split, & potentially someone like Lake coasts to victory.
That is exactly why it was Sinema's only play if she was going to run again. Well she could have tried actually talking to her constituents and listening to why they can't stand her and changing course. But she was clearly going to be primaried. Now Dems have to think twice. If she runs as an Independent against the Dem challenger she could split the vote easily even if she's unpopular and hand the seat over to GOP.

Now they have to calculate well shes still voting with us most times, do we put up with her and focus energy in the other 20+ seats they have to defend or pour money and cash to beat someone that votes with them most times...

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
That is exactly why it was Sinema's only play if she was going to run again. Well she could have tried actually talking to her constituents and listening to why they can't stand her and changing course. But she was clearly going to be primaried. Now Dems have to think twice. If she runs as an Independent against the Dem challenger she could split the vote easily even if she's unpopular and hand the seat over to GOP.

Now they have to calculate well shes still voting with us most times, do we put up with her and focus energy in the other 20+ seats they have to defend or pour money and cash to beat someone that votes with them most times...
If Sinema does not stand in Dem primary, how are they going to stop other contenders?

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
I have all the respect in the world for people who decide to not vote for Biden over this, or vote for another candidate. But anyone who votes Republican over it is a moron who deserves what they're going to get.
How would you, in a similar position, pressure the Dem party?

nimic

something nice
Scout
How would you, in a similar position, pressure the Dem party?
In a similar position as a union worker feeling betrayed by the Democrats? I'd not vote for them, or vote for someone else, or get into activism. But I wouldn't vote for the party which is unquestionably more anti-union, in word and deed, despite the Democratic betrayal.

Sir Matt

Blue Devil

I guess in the next pandemic people like Ron DeSantis will solve a lot of problems for America's polarization. Unfortunately, it will be by leading millions of people to their deaths because Republicans wanted to score political points.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member

I guess in the next pandemic people like Ron DeSantis will solve a lot of problems for America's polarization. Unfortunately, it will be by leading millions of people to their deaths because Republicans wanted to score political points.
Gotta own the libz.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Gun owners, what are you buying your precious little metal babies for Christmas this year?

Revan

Assumptionman
No way it will be allowed to happen, and even if allowed, it is not necessary great news for Democrats. San Francisco/Silicon Valley on the other hand, would guarantee Democrat senators for eternity.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
No way it will be allowed to happen, and even if allowed, it is not necessary great news for Democrats. Santa Clara county (probably together with San Francisco county) on the other hand, would guarantee Democrat senators for eternity.
Most certainly will never happen, but it is interesting that the thought process has proceeded as far as it has.

frostbite

Schiff: ‘Sufficient evidence’ to criminally charge Trump over efforts to overturn election

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news...y-charge-trump-efforts-overturn-2020-election

Asked whether he thought Trump would face criminal charges, Schiff said: “The short answer is, I don’t know. I think that he should. I think he should face the same remedy, force of law that anyone else would.”

Schiff said he was worried, however, that “it may take until he is no longer politically relevant for justice to be served. That’s not the way it should be in this country, but there seems to be an added evidentiary burden with someone who has a large enough following.”

“That simply should not be the case, but I find it hard, otherwise, to explain why, almost two years from the events of January 6, and with the evidence that’s already in the public domain, why the justice department hasn’t moved more quickly than it has,” Schiff also said.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Schiff: ‘Sufficient evidence’ to criminally charge Trump over efforts to overturn election

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news...y-charge-trump-efforts-overturn-2020-election

Asked whether he thought Trump would face criminal charges, Schiff said: “The short answer is, I don’t know. I think that he should. I think he should face the same remedy, force of law that anyone else would.”

Schiff said he was worried, however, that “it may take until he is no longer politically relevant for justice to be served. That’s not the way it should be in this country, but there seems to be an added evidentiary burden with someone who has a large enough following.”

“That simply should not be the case, but I find it hard, otherwise, to explain why, almost two years from the events of January 6, and with the evidence that’s already in the public domain, why the justice department hasn’t moved more quickly than it has,” Schiff also said.
Good on Schiff for saying the quiet bit out loud.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
This is so pathetic. Its clear McCarthy has flipped Marge and promised her a juicy committee assignment of choice on the condition she pressures the other crazies to come on board and support McCarthy as Speaker, which clearly isn't happening.

Last edited:

Hamnat

Too bad it is looking like this guy is a massive fraud.

Who Is Rep.-Elect George Santos? His Résumé May Be Largely Fiction.

His campaign biography amplified his storybook journey: He is the son of Brazilian immigrants, and the first openly gay Republican to win a House seat as a non-incumbent. By his account, he catapulted himself from a New York City public college to become a “seasoned Wall Street financier and investor” with a family-owned real estate portfolio of 13 properties and an animal rescue charity that saved more than 2,500 dogs and cats.

But a New York Times review of public documents and court filings from the United States and Brazil, as well as various attempts to verify claims that Mr. Santos, 34, made on the campaign trail, calls into question key parts of the résumé that he sold to voters.

Citigroup and Goldman Sachs, the marquee Wall Street firms on Mr. Santos’s campaign biography, told The Times they had no record of his ever working there. Officials at Baruch College, which Mr. Santos has said he graduated from in 2010, could find no record of anyone matching his name and date of birth graduating that year.
He has also asserted that his professional life had intersected with tragedy: He said in an interview on WNYC that his company, which he did not identify, “lost four employees” at the Pulse nightclub shooting in Orlando in June 2016. But a Times review of news coverage and obituaries found that none of the 49 victims appear to have worked at the various firms named in his biography.

Hamnat

Incoming congressman's claims his grandparents fled the Holocaust contradicted by genealogy records

Santos, who has called himself "half Jewish" and a "Latino Jew" in media appearances, has claimed his maternal grandfather was originally from Ukraine and fled to Brazil to escape Nazism. In another telling, the New York Republican said his grandparents converted to Catholicism during the rise of Nazism in Belgium after fleeing Joseph Stalin and the Soviet Union. In another telling, he claimed his family changed their name to survive Nazism.

CNN spoke to multiple genealogists who said there was no proof of the claims. Santos' misrepresentations of his family history were first reported by The Forward on Wednesday. Records from the Holocaust Museum and the International Center on Nazi Persecution, which contain records on Jewish refugees, also show no mention of Santos' grandparents.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
McCarthy is such a chicken shit. Scared to be seen in public with Zelenskyy (despite meeting him privately) because he doesn't want to draw the ire of Putin supporting MAGA terrorists before the speakership vote.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout

the conservative NY court re-drew the voting lines, which probably gave the republicans an extra seat in congress.

they have now got rewarded with 1 more member, from a dem governor and dem senate.