US Soccer Thread

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
They'll either fall apart completely ala 1998 or pull off a 2002 surprise showing.

Hopefully, Klinsmann will not use Beasley/Evans as fullbacks in this group or they'll get murdered down the wing.

MrMarcello

First matchday: Germany vs Portugal, Ghana vs USA
Second matchday: Germany vs Ghana, Portugal vs USA
Third matchday: Germany vs USA, Ghana vs Portugal

USA is basically forced into a must win in the opening match, the loser (if no draw) is virtually eliminated from the start.

mboRa ndomHer0723

First matchday: Germany vs Portugal, Ghana vs USA
Second matchday: Germany vs Ghana, Portugal vs USA
Third matchday: Germany vs USA, Ghana vs Portugal

USA is basically forced into a must win in the opening match, the loser (if no draw) is virtually eliminated from the start.
Yeah the US has to win the first game and then get a draw vs Portugal. How is Portugal in the heat as this game is in Manaus? Hopefully Germany will be qualified by the 3rd game

forevrared

I know we need a right back badly, but at the same time I think it's hilarious that karma is biting him in the ass.

MrMarcello

Massively stupid move if true, even if it turns out to be a temp loan. Bradley needs to be playing in Europe in a top league. Perhaps moving from Roma to a Sunderland or Mainz or wherever would be more ideal. I'm certain Klinsmann would not view a move to Toronto as beneficial to the player.

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
We need a midfielder...

All of these US players moving back to MLS in their prime are stupid. They get paid more but they also don't play against nearly the competition they do in Europe. Dempsey coming back was a waste, as would Bradley. The MLS proponents will claim the league offers sufficient quality and has improved, but that's a lie. Is it better? Yes, but it's not near the level needed to compete on a world stage. The league wants to use them to build itself, but it's detrimental to their fitness and sharpness in general. Playing on turf regularly, travelling long-distance weekly, and lower quality players will do nothing to improve the US national team. It shows lack of ambition from the players who do it. Landon Donovan will probably be the best US/MLS player of the foreseeable future, but he could have been better had he made it in Europe. MLS doesn't want to be a lower tier league, but that's what it is. As long as there are salary caps and a draft, it will not be the best league in the world. The handling of Freddy Adu is proof that the MLS doesn't really care about the players or their development. They just want to increase their own profile.

brad-dyrak

Well those folks could use some cheering up. If we had to lose to anyone...

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Massively stupid move if true, even if it turns out to be a temp loan. Bradley needs to be playing in Europe in a top league. Perhaps moving from Roma to a Sunderland or Mainz or wherever would be more ideal. I'm certain Klinsmann would not view a move to Toronto as beneficial to the player.
We need a midfielder...

All of these US players moving back to MLS in their prime are stupid. They get paid more but they also don't play against nearly the competition they do in Europe. Dempsey coming back was a waste, as would Bradley. The MLS proponents will claim the league offers sufficient quality and has improved, but that's a lie. Is it better? Yes, but it's not near the level needed to compete on a world stage. The league wants to use them to build itself, but it's detrimental to their fitness and sharpness in general. Playing on turf regularly, travelling long-distance weekly, and lower quality players will do nothing to improve the US national team. It shows lack of ambition from the players who do it. Landon Donovan will probably be the best US/MLS player of the foreseeable future, but he could have been better had he made it in Europe. MLS doesn't want to be a lower tier league, but that's what it is. As long as there are salary caps and a draft, it will not be the best league in the world. The handling of Freddy Adu is proof that the MLS doesn't really care about the players or their development. They just want to increase their own profile.
2 months late, but glad someone agrees with my viewpoint. He's entering his prime and his current position is a waste of his talent.

Lu Tze

I'm watching Seattle v Toronto, and I think Yedlin looks an alright player. Reckon he might have a future in Europe? Only watched him for one match, though.

So little composure in this league though. It's so scrappy!

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
I'm watching Seattle v Toronto, and I think Yedlin looks an alright player. Reckon he might have a future in Europe? Only watched him for one match, though.

So little composure in this league though. It's so scrappy!
He was on the all-star team last year and ranked near the top of the rookie list. I only watch Toronto FC so never seen him before but he looked good today.

I think I heard the commentator mention Doneil Henry was over training with West Ham during the winter and they were really impressed. Could see him making the move over in the next year or two.

Gladiator

dont watch MLS much...is standard of football improving?still tactically naive as it's been for some time?

Blackwidow

Julian Green has chosen to play for the USA!
Not really a wonder. Klinsmann wants to take him to Brazil - and he usually only plays in the second team of Bayern today. A talent - but still has way to go. On the long run it will be difficult to get into the German national team - but it is not impossible for him. But it seems to be easy to get into the US-Team - even now for Brazil...

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
He's the 6th current US national team player who was either born or raised in Germany!? :houllier:

Last edited:

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
Most of them are because one of their parents were stationed there with the army isn't it?

It makes you wonder if other nations could try and do the same. If England acted quicker they might have had a chance with Holtby or Aaron Hunt.

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
Most of them are because one of their parents were stationed there with the army isn't it?

It makes you wonder if other nations could try and do the same. If England acted quicker they might have had a chance with Holtby or Aaron Hunt.
Like France?

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
A Mexican journalist brought Graham Zusi a bottle of Patron today at their training camp. :lol:

MrMarcello

I'm at a loss for words that Donovan can be left out yet the likes of Davis, Wondolowski, Yedlin, and Green all make the squad. I'm thinking Klinsmann made some kind of agreement with Green if he chose the US. Then Chandler, a guy that hasn't player for the US for months (and for various reasons depending on which accounts to believe, his or others), granted he's easily a better fullback choice than Beasley or Evans. And Brooks over Parkhurst...wtf?

I can only presume there must have been some bustup between LD and JK. Perhaps a Harkes/Sampson issue although not due to banging a teammates wife.

Americano

Make America Great Again!
Have you looked at Landycakes lately? He looks heavy and arthritic, not the appearance of a world class athlete who can dictate a game in Brazil's climate. He claims his body is breaking down (at 32?), but I think it's more an issue of motivation. Either way, his attitude and physique are sending all the wrong signals. I'm not bothered about him not making the trip to Brazil.

MrMarcello

As if a trip to Brazil wouldn't inspire Donovan. He may well be somewhat unmotivated, but he certainly hasn't looked that way for the US since his return from sabbatical. I'd take a half-fit, half-motivated Donovan over Davis or Wondolowski. Heck, I'd rather see Boyd over Wondo seeing as Klinsmann has a hard-on for Germans.

Rykker_4united

Supports
Keep Rodgers at Pool.
Donovan is overrated anyways, he won't help them much in that group. Donovan has a terrible, terrible attitude. Needed to leave the Galaxy for 5 months to "figure out whether he could keep his love with the game" or whether he couldn't play it anymore. feck me, must be hard to play football for millions. Comes of as a real pompous asshole, Don't feel bad for him.

AR87

This looks like Klinsmann bringing in younger plays he wants to get some World Cup experience, even if they never step on the field. Yedlin and Brooks in particular on current form and quality shouldn't be on the plane, but JK sees them as likely key members of the 2018 squad. Whether it's the right decision or not is a different matter, but Klinsmann certainly has some balls to make a move that will be as unpopular as this. Donovan may have been able to impact the game as a substitute, but his star is on the wane and he's looked like a shell of his former self anytime I've seen him play in the last year for both club and country. I think JK should have selected him over Wondolowski, but it's also not something I think that's going to make the difference for getting results in this group.

ThaReaper01

Howard
Cameron-Gonzalez-Besler-Beasley
Beckerman-Bradley
Zusi-Dempsey-Davis
Jozy​

Outside of maybe Jones for Becks, that's our best XI IMO. MAYBE Johnson for Cameron but that's questionable. This thing needs to start already. Getting antsy.

MrMarcello

If anyone should be benched, it's Gonzalez not Cameron. Cameron should partner Besler with FJ and TC as fullbacks. Gonzalez is arguably the most overrated defender in US history.