US Soccer Thread

Distracted Steward

Donovan was in a long slide toward the bubble. I think Klinsmann's contract length and view of it being a longer term project made the difference--he cut bait with Donovan and decided to move on.

Despite being grateful for all he's done for the USMNT over the years, I'm not sad to see it. He's long been criticized for being mentally weak, but a few years ago he seemed to have shaken his demons. Then came a step or two backward and then the 'sabbatical'. He seems near a mental ebb. With a young crop to break in, that's not someone you want to have around, no matter how experienced. Talent and experience alone got him into the 30-man camp, but then again, he's wasted more talent than many US players have.

I wish him the best moving forward, but he put himself in position for Klinsmann to make that bold call.

AlwaysRedwood

If anyone should be benched, it's Gonzalez not Cameron. Cameron should partner Besler with FJ and TC as fullbacks. Gonzalez is arguably the most overrated defender in US history.
US has the longest travel schedule in the World Cup.

Young players are the focus due to brutal schedule.

Donovan is not in good physical shape currently and his taking time off leaves his focus in question.

Donovan has done himself no favors with his recent behavior.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...

2 weeks ago.
May 22 - He's either found the greatest weight loss diet/drug/regiment ever, or the above is photoshopped/taken at a date much more dated than two weeks ago. Furthermore, only a fool would believe Klinsmann would invite a player that appears/is sporting that large a gut, especially with all the scouting in place that would report back to him. Donovan would have never been called into camp if he were as fat as the above indicates.

AlwaysRedwood

Well, if you think he's fit, you'll have to explain why Klinnsman publicly questioned his fitness a month ago.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
Overall it will not matter much since the US will finish last in the group regardless but, this just seems asinine. Donovan was left off for an 18 year who has played 5 minutes of first team football and all the talk of a young squad Klinnsman also brought Brad Davis who has never been even half as good as Donovan. And if we are talking about fitness I do not care if he sporting a belly like 2010 Cuauhtemoc Blanco he is still significantly better than anyone on the side not names Dempsey or Bradley. If he is being punished for his sabbatical why is Timothy Chandler in the squad since he turned down a ton of call ups when he was advertising himself to the German national team.

AlwaysRedwood

Klinnmans sons tweet was amusing, though not surprising. Donovan is not well liked by his fellow players.

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
http://www.nbcnews.com/business/consumer/lower-income-students-getting-shut-out-sports-n164941

As the chairman of the department of tourism, recreation and sport management at the University of Florida, Michael Sagas had a pretty good idea what to expect when his daughter started playing travel soccer. But even he was taken aback by the tally when her team started playing in regional and national tournaments.

Her latest season, which ended July 24, cost the family $18,115.41, Sagas said. "It's ridiculous."

Sagas' daughter is lucky: Her parents have the resources to make high level soccer happen for her. Yet in soccer and other sports, the rising popularity of expensive club and academy teams and the spread of costly tournaments all over the country are making it harder for low-income youth to participate.

Even school teams are getting more expensive. A study by the University of Michigan C.S. Mott Children's Hospital found that 61 percent of respondents reported paying to participate in middle school and high school sports.

"From a sport development perspective I think we're in trouble."

The end result is that a significant share of lower-income children and adolescents find themselves shut out of team sports.

"From a sport development perspective I think we're in trouble," said Sagas, who just left the U.S. Youth Soccer National Championships. He said the crowd there was "a sliver of the upper middle class, mostly upper middle class to wealthy. We're seeing the best of that group, but we're definitely not reaching the entire population." The rate of sports participation has a direct relationship to income. About 25 percent of the population has household income under $25,000, but only 15 percent of sports participants are in that group and only 11 percent of soccer participant households, according to the Sports & Fitness Industry Association.

About 20 percent of households have incomes over $100,000, but 33 percent of households participating in sports have incomes at that level, and 37 percent of soccer participants are in that income category.

In the C.S. Mott study, only 5 percent of families with incomes over $60,000 said the costs associated with school sports caused a drop in their child's participation. But in families with incomes under $60,000, 19 percent said costs led their kids to participate less.

Amount of playing declines

Not surprisingly, then, as the cost of playing rises, the amount of playing declines. Between 2011 and 2012, participation in team sports fell to 50 percent, from 54 percent, for kids ages 6 to 17, according to Sports & Fitness Industry Association data.

"Although our industry continues to grow, it's on the backs of fewer kids every year," said Don Schumacher, executive director of the National Association of Sports Commissions.

To some extent, both the rise in pay–to–play policies at schools and the ascent of club and academy teams are natural responses to tight state and local budgets. When school districts cut funding for sports teams, some decide that participating students can pay to participate. In addition, when sports budgets are cut, families with means may seek out club and academy teams.

But the rising financial barriers in youth sports have side effects. Children and adolescents who do not play sports are at greater risk for obesity. And if low-income kids do decide to go outside and move around, they are more likely than wealthier kids to live in high crime neighborhoods where the chances of getting in trouble are greater.

"What communities think they are saving in making these cutbacks will cost them in the long run," said Darryl Hill, founder of Kids Play USA, a fledgling organization advocating greater access to youth sports. "In the long run, the community is losing because these kids become a health burden and in some cases a societal burden." He cited research showing that girls who participate in sports are less likely to get pregnant and more likely to graduate.

"We have more young people between the ages of 6 and 16 playing soccer. But you are leaving a big chunk of the talent out."

The have–have not element of team sports is not great for the sports themselves, either.

"We have more young people between the ages of 6 and 16 playing soccer," Hill said. "But you are leaving a big chunk of the talent out. You can't be competitive if you are going to do that."

It's also not great for the youth sports industry. Young people "are playing a lot of games and entering a lot of tournaments. The spending keeps increasing," Schumacher said. But at some point, the rising cost to play will backfire, he warned. "In any other human endeavor, if you charge too much for too long, your business is not going to do well."

Making sports more inclusive

There are efforts under way to make youth sports more inclusive.

Hill's organization is just getting some programs off the ground, like a lacrosse academy, a volleyball academy and an inner city soccer league.

Sports leagues do offer some financial aid and make some effort to promote greater access to sports. For example, Major League Baseball has a program called RBI, or Return Baseball to the Inner City. Club teams may also offer financial aid.

The Aspen Institute has created a program called Project Play, which promotes creative approaches to reimagining youth sports.

But are these efforts enough to meaningfully boost access to youth sports? Dev Pathik, founder of Sports Facility Advisory, a planning and management firm, is skeptical.

"There are access issues,and groups doing things about it. There are foundations supporting lower-income athletes and their access, but it's a needle in the haystack in terms of where the real need is," he said.

Sagas pointed out that for families, the issue is not just money but time. "I took three weeks off this year just to get to tournaments," he said. "How many blue-collar families can take that time?"

In the meantime, club and academy sports teams remain busy. Sagas, for one, sees little time to rest. The new soccer season starts Aug. 15.​

And we wonder why the vast majority of US Soccer players grew up middle-class and white...​

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
Tonight's Donovan's last game. I'm quite happy for this to be over so I can stop hearing about him. He recently lied to Grant Wahl about not getting an apology from Klinsmann's son and not hearing from Klinsmann before this game. He's never been my favorite but he's been a bit of a prick since he missed out on the World Cup.

sport2793

Landon Donovan is the prototypical US star athlete. Expects it all to be about himself. He grew too big for his boots eventually and got complacent which is why he still whines about missing the WC squad. Donovan would not have made one difference imo and the people who disagree are those who think that the MLS is the best league in the world.

sport2793

Wow I didn't realize that Joe Gyau is in Borussia Dortmund proper now. Excited to see how good he is. The US are starting to pile on the good youth prospects though which is good to see.

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
It's all kicking off between Klinsmann and Don Garber, MLS commish. Klinsmann said that MLS was holding players back and affecting their development. Garber called a special press conference to respond.

Klinsmann is 100% right. Garber is also odious.

Americano

Make America Great Again!
Klinsmann is 100% right. Garber is also odious.
Hey everybody, doesn't this lady have the ugliest baby you have EVER seen? Yeah, that one, the one I'm pointing at!

Maybe we're all thinking it, but Jurgen had to be the cheesedick to say it out loud into a microphone. Thanks, bro.

It doesn't help the league, which NEEDS all the help it can get. The national team & MLS have to be on the same page, and that includes the image they project to the world and the press. As MLS attracts better players, the league improves, and the improved league attracts better players. He shat on Landon on LandonDay 2014 and he shat on the returning MLS players... what exactly is the strategy here? It helps nobody. Straight out of the Roy Keane handbook for how to get fired.

Jurgen may find the USA to be a suddenly unwelcome place for a pseudo-Californian German with a habit of insulting our soccer legends and domestic league. I wonder how his take on Dempsey is going down in Nagadoches? Or, if Klinsmann wants these guys in Europe, what is he doing to help make that happen, so they can actually get game time at whatever level is a fit for them? He must be too busy acting like a self-righteous cock to bother. Why isn't he coaching in Europe if he's so great?

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
Hey everybody, doesn't this lady have the ugliest baby you have EVER seen? Yeah, that one, the one I'm pointing at!

Maybe we're all thinking it, but Jurgen had to be the cheesedick to say it out loud into a microphone. Thanks, bro.

It doesn't help the league, which NEEDS all the help it can get. The national team & MLS have to be on the same page, and that includes the image they project to the world and the press. As MLS attracts better players, the league improves, and the improved league attracts better players. He shat on Landon on LandonDay 2014 and he shat on the returning MLS players... what exactly is the strategy here? It helps nobody. Straight out of the Roy Keane handbook for how to get fired.

Jurgen may find the USA to be a suddenly unwelcome place for a pseudo-Californian German with a habit of insulting our soccer legends and domestic league. I wonder how his take on Dempsey is going down in Nagadoches? Or, if Klinsmann wants these guys in Europe, what is he doing to help make that happen, so they can actually get game time at whatever level is a fit for them? He must be too busy acting like a self-righteous cock to bother. Why isn't he coaching in Europe if he's so great?
The strategy is to influence younger players to go test themselves, rather than staying comfortable and well-paid in the US, a la Donovan. Bradley was appalling in Brazil for all but about 5 minutes when he had been great before his move back to Toronto. There have been rumors of MLS teams being interested in several European based young players who would benefit from staying abroad. Klinsmann has always said he wants American players to play in the best leagues but has also said he can't stop players like Bradley and Dempsey from going for huge paychecks, even if it is detrimental to the national team.

Also, I couldn't really care less about the future of MLS at the moment. They're the morons who are putting an MLS team back in South Florida after it failed the first time when it will inevitably fail again, they refuse to move Chivas out of LA despite there being no concrete plan for a home in LA, and then adding City to New York before adding teams elsewhere. Then again, I generally despise the ownership system in the US. In all sports, you have billionaires who threaten to move their teams if they don't get their way (read: the public paying for stadiums through taxes so the owners don't have to spend any of their own money) and complain about how little money they are getting leading to lockouts. They won't even put up the ≈$1m to implement goal-line technology. MLS will continue to struggle relative to Europe as long as it maintains its stupid structure and farcical "rules" that are made up by Garber at a whim. The lack of player power (for incoming players and those within the league who can be traded in the middle of the night) and salary cap are enough to keep any player with alternatives away.

While they pay Dempsey, Bradley, Jones, etc millions, they pay the vast majority of other players peanuts. How can the league improve when large parts of the budget are allocated to so few players? The low salary caps ensure that MLS can't tempt even decent players until they are about to retire. Then, the players are little more than names collecting huge paychecks. Spending $7.7m on a 32 year old Kaka isn't going to improve the league. Of course there isn't the money in MLS that there is in the big leagues of Europe, but MLS also doesn't have the expenses of European teams thanks to getting to push on development costs to others (parents who pay thousands for club teams, schools, universities, etc).

Americano

Make America Great Again!
The strategy is to influence younger players to go test themselves, rather than staying comfortable and well-paid in the US, a la Donovan.
My American brother, I understand and agree with the criticisms... my problem is making that all public. Klinsmann can exert his influence in private while maintaining public support for his domestic league and players. Or at least having the courtesy to refrain from insulting MLS and MLS players to journalists. I'm sure you understand the difference between thinking something and saying it out loud? Klinsmann just pissed on his own shoes.

Just be careful what you say about South Florida. We love sports, we just don't go to a lot of games... blame the greedy owners & politicians who grabbed all the public money.

MrMarcello

Landon Donovan is the prototypical US star athlete. Expects it all to be about himself. He grew too big for his boots eventually and got complacent which is why he still whines about missing the WC squad. Donovan would not have made one difference imo and the people who disagree are those who think that the MLS is the best league in the world.
Far from being a Donovan fan, but even at 32 and all that he's done professionally and personally since 2012, he'd still have been a better option off the bench than dross like Wondolowski and Davis.

fontaine

Ful Ful Ful Member Full Member Full Member

good post

sport2793

Far from being a Donovan fan, but even at 32 and all that he's done professionally and personally since 2012, he'd still have been a better option off the bench than dross like Wondolowski and Davis.
The issue is that I don't think Donovan would have accepted a bench role without making some sort of fuss somewhere. There would also have been a decent amount of media pressure to start him. I think Klinsmann rightly foresaw those problems before the WC and decided not to risk any effect on team chemistry and focus, especially in that group.

sport2793

Turns out that Gedion Zelalem (Arsenal youth prospect) committed to the US.

MrMarcello

US v Mexico on at the moment (Fox Sports 1). Fairly even so far through 38 minutes. Both sides featuring B/C players trying to make an impression. Zardes has performed well playing as a 9. Morris looks lively at times.

MrMarcello

Goallllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll

Jordan Morris (off a deflection)

Bradley showed some sublime skills there to start that attack

Last edited:

MrMarcello

feckin A... Bradley with a 40 yd lob ala Carrick or Scholes. Great control and take by Agudelo. Keeper should have done better on the shot but his defense gave up too much space.

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
Not a bad win yesterday. The US should have a chance against Germany given the squad that the Germans will have.

Hopefully it's a good warm-up for the Gold Cup. Anyone planning to go to matches at the Gold Cup?

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
Beat the Netherlands last week, Germany this week. I think we might be able to handle the Gold Cup.

Man of Leisure

Threatened by women who like sex.
Great goal by Bobby Wood. Him, Morris, and Zardes have been pretty impressive. Would rather see them given a chance in the Gold Cup than Dempsey and Altidore.