US (Trump) wants to buy Greenland from Denmark

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
It's a ridiculous situation with suitably ridiculous reactions, including from former prime ministers.

The only sober response I've seen so far has been from the current prime minister who, while reiterating that Greenland is not for sale, the geopolitical issues of the Arctic remain valid and that further dialogue with the US concerning this stands as an open invitation.

Abizzz

Sky news reporter just raised the possibility that the Orange one did this whole thing to get out of the Denmark visit because he found out the best president of the 21st century is visiting a couple of weeks later. He didn't want to risk being less liked than Obama and this was his route out.

It's so crazy I believe it.

UweBein

Creator of the Worst Analogy on the Internet.
Supports
Chelsea
He may want to buy The Falklands or Gibraltar. How about Scotland or even Northern Ireland? Bojo may sell those.
Right, BoJo shall sell NI to USA, so the EU have to deal directly with Trump when it comes to the back stop.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
Of course trump found a way to make this more bizarre than anyone would have anticipated

Heardy

Donald dear, other countries will talk to you exactly how they want. Get used to it. It’s not going to get any better.

They’re also pleased you have cancelled your visit, they much prefer Obama.
He’s almost a parody. Half of this you couldn’t write to make him look more stupid.

So bizarre.

Cait Sith

Denmark deserves that sort of treatment to be fair. They are devoted US vassals, blocking Nord Stream 2 every way they can for instance, which is completely in Europe's interest, because their US masters tell them so to export their own fracking and liquid gas.

Red Defence

“United stands for attacking, attractive football
Denmark deserves that sort of treatment to be fair. They are devoted US vassals, blocking Nord Stream 2 every way they can for instance, which is completely in Europe's interest, because their US masters tell them so to export their own fracking and liquid gas.
No country deserves that treatment from anyone. Trump’s just an arrogant and conceited prick and he’s old enough to behave properly. His behaviour is nothing short of disgusting.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
Fek me he's upset he can't buy Greenland isn't he
Denmark is one of the NATO countries that followed the US in sending troops to Afghanistan and Iraq.

I didn't think the Greenland thing was so absurd as the people who wanted their 15 seconds of fame and nytimes quote were suggesting but this definitely is.

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
You know I'd actually follow some of Trump s logic that some countries need to step up their spending.. IF it would actually lead to us cutting military spending and instead fix infrastructure and education (was just in Europe again.. Our infrastructure is such a joke by comparison.. Not even funny). But instead Donnie just keeps drastically increasing military funding. Shouldn't we be cutting if ure trying to show nato ure not joking around? Js. Playing devils advocate here.

Red Defence

Infrastructure? He won’t be spending money on infrastructure.

He’s got to finish his wall and buy Greenland. That’s where your money will be headed.

That and his next ridiculous scheme.

Unless you get rid, sharpish.

Where’s he going to get the money from to “buy” Greenland you should all be asking yourselves.

Last edited:

SirAF

Ageist
Is this about Obama again? I believe he’s scheduled to visit Denmark shortly after Trump’s visit.

Rams

aspiring to be like Ryan Giggs
The idea of the US owning Greenland isn’t crazy. Greenland is strategically very important to the US, it has important shipping routes and is full of natural resources. However, the way Trump goes about things is just bizarre and the reaction of the Danes is only to be expected. Me thinks something else is behind it.
Regarding the NATO spending, Trump has more than just a valid point. Don’t know what that’s got to do with Greenland mind.

Red Defence

He doesn’t want to visit Denmark (rather play golf) and he’s miffed that they’ve invited Obama. He knew that they would refuse to sell him Greenland of course which gave him the opening for the tantrum that he needed to refuse to go.

He’s also doing it to annoy China who are refusing to play his game of tariffs.

Abizzz

The idea of the US owning Greenland isn’t crazy. Greenland is strategically very important to the US, it has important shipping routes and is full of natural resources. However, the way Trump goes about things is just bizarre and the reaction of the Danes is only to be expected. Me thinks something else is behind it.
Regarding the NATO spending, Trump has more than just a valid point. Don’t know what that’s got to do with Greenland mind.
He has absolutely no point on NATO when he himself is the biggest danger to the territorial integrity of a member nation. And of course it's crazy to just suddenly assume you can buy another nation.

Rams

aspiring to be like Ryan Giggs
He has absolutely no point on NATO when he himself is the biggest danger to the territorial integrity of a member nation. And of course it's crazy to just suddenly assume you can buy another nation.
I meant that it was crazy to assume you could just buy another territory, although the Yanks did purchase Alaska from Russia.
He’s right about NATO spending. Why shouldn’t the other NATO members contribute their fare share?

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
Why shouldn’t they contribute 2%?
Whether they do or not, the president shouldn't blast allies who sent troops in support and had casualties during a US led war for Twitter tantrums.

Denmark also spends a high amount of GDP on foreign aid compared to most other countries, so it isn't like they aren't doing their fair share for the rest of the world.

Classical Mechanic

Whether they do or not, the president shouldn't blast allies who sent troops in support and had casualties during a US led war for Twitter tantrums.

Denmark also spends a high amount of GDP on foreign aid compared to most other countries, so it isn't like they aren't doing their fair share for the rest of the world.
Whilst his method of diplomatic communication is inappropriate I think its one of the few things he is actually right about.

Donk87

Supports
Arsenal
Why shouldn’t they contribute 2%?
He’s right about NATO spending. Why shouldn’t the other NATO members contribute their fare share?
Trump is only right if he's speaking from 5 years in the future. NATO members have until 2024 to reach the 2% GDP defence spend as per the 2014 summit where this agreement was reached.

He whined about this last year too. Seems to be an annual display of ignorance on his part.

Edit - actually it's surprising Trump isn't impressed that certain NATO members are paying as little as possible for as long as possible. After all this is the guy who claimed paying very little tax makes him smart. Given that you'd think he's be applauding the savvy actions of the other members.

Last edited:

Abizzz

I meant that it was crazy to assume you could just buy another territory, although the Yanks did purchase Alaska from Russia.
Because they’re a rich country that agreed to do so. If they don’t value NATO why join in the first place.
As if everyone had had a choice :houllier:. The 2% is a vague goal set by previous governments, not a binding contract. As such it's no more important to keep one's word on it than say, the paris climate agreement.

To be clear: Donald Trump can say whatever the flying feck he wants he just isn't being taken serious anymore outside of America (And the Brexit part of Britain). He can bang on about the 2% or how nasty other countries are for not wanting to sell themselves but the world won't change one iota because of it.

Classical Mechanic

As if everyone had had a choice :houllier:. The 2% is a vague goal set by previous governments, not a binding contract. As such it's no more important to keep one's word on it than say, the paris climate agreement.

To be clear: Donald Trump can say whatever the flying feck he wants he just isn't being taken serious anymore outside of America (And the Brexit part of Britain). He can bang on about the 2% or how nasty other countries are for not wanting to sell themselves but the world won't change one iota because of it.
You're kidding yourself if you don't think nations take what the leader of the most powerful nation in the world seriously. Even if he comes up with stupid ideas like buying Greenland he has to be take seriously on most other issues.

The difference between the US and the Paris climate agreement and European nations on NATO spending is that Trump is a least honest about not taking part. European nations continue to pay lip service about meeting their NATO defence spending promise of at least 2% buy 2024.

Last edited:

Abizzz

You're kidding yourself if you don't think nations take what the leader of the most powerful nation in the world seriously. Even if he comes up with stupid ideas like buying Greenland he has to be take seriously on many other issues.
In the view of the volcano of bull shit that his mouth is I doubt many other leaders even have the time to think about taking it seriously. They have their own nations to govern. They do take US actions seriously, but that's an entirely different thing.
The difference between the US and the Paris climate agreement and European nations on NATO spending is that Trump is a least honest about not taking part. European nations continue to pay lip service about meeting their NATO defence spending promise of at least 2% buy 2024.
Is 2024 or is it 2019? The way things are currently going it isn't far fetched to believe NATO won't exist by 2024 (He himself being the very person who started it's demise), so any promises that have been made would be void anyway. If he's still president in 2024 and spending isn't 2% he can moan then. Until then it's just the attempt to interfere with foreign nations budgets.

Let's not kid ourselves, he isn't talking about the 2% because he feels they are vital to defense. He simply found out that that is one area where the US is meeting its target and someone else is not, and is using that as talking point, in the same manner he does with everything else.

Classical Mechanic

They do take US actions seriously, but that's an entirely different thing.
He's the leader of the US so its one and the same. They may be bemused by his absurdities but they 100% treat him seriously, probably even more so given his unpredictability.

You only have to listen to the diplomatic language of the Danish leaders around the Greenland issue to know that.

Is 2024 or is it 2019? The way things are currently going it isn't far fetched to believe NATO won't exist by 2024 (He himself being the very person who started it's demise), so any promises that have been made would be void anyway. If he's still president in 2024 and spending isn't 2% he can moan then. Until then it's just the attempt to interfere with foreign nations budgets.

Let's not kid ourselves, he isn't talking about the 2% because he feels they are vital to defense. He simply found out that that is one area where the US is meeting its target and someone else is not, and is using that as talking point, in the same manner he does with everything else.
The US far exceed their target and only a few meet the agreed target. Most drag their feet because they know the US are picking up the slack so America has fair grounds for complaint.

You know and I know that most nations will not meet that target by 2024 and have no real intention of doing so.