US (Trump) wants to buy Greenland from Denmark

Abizzz

He's the leader of the US so its one and the same. They may be bemused by his absurdities but they 100% treat him seriously, probably even more so given his unpredictability.

You only have to listen to the diplomatic language of the Danish leaders around the Greenland issue to know that.
They are using diplomatic language because they are diplomats and politicians, not reality TV wannabe billionaires.

The US far exceed their target and only a few meet the agreed target. Most drag their feet because they know the US are picking up the slack so America has fair grounds for complaint.

You know and I know that most nations will not meet that target by 2024 and have no real intention of doing so.
When was the last time another nations invoked NATO defense and the US came to their rescue!? The US aren't picking up anyone else's slack, it's the rest of the world who are paying the price for Americas foreign adventures. The world would definitely not be a better place if more countries spent more on military and had some adventures of their own. As things stand NATO accounts for 70% of world wide military spending.

The US have also never defended Europe against Russia. America stood ready to defend America against Russia in Europe. They would have sacrificed much of Europe to do so. (And so would Trump)

Donk87

Supports
Arsenal
European nations continue to pay lip service about meeting their NATO defence spending promise of at least 2% buy 2024.
You know and I know that most nations will not meet that target by 2024 and have no real intention of doing so.
You might know it but you'd be wrong. Defence spending by NATO countries has increased every year since 2015 going up over 5% in 2017 and a little under 4% last year. A couple of countries like Germany are lagging but in general the others are complying.

Classical Mechanic

They are using diplomatic language because they are diplomats and politicians, not reality star wannabe billionaires.

When was the last time another nations invoked NATO defense and the US came to their rescue!? The US aren't picking up anyone else's slack, it's the rest of the world who are paying the price for Americas foreign adventures. The world would definitely not be a better place if more countries spent more on military and had some adventures of their own. As things stand NATO accounts for 70% of world wide military spending.

The US have also never defended Europe against Russia. America stood ready to defend America against Russia in Europe. They would have sacrificed much of Europe to do so. (And so would Trump)
They use diplomatic language, offering an olive branch because they need good relations with America, its as simple as that.

You might know it but you'd be wrong. Defence spending by NATO countries has increased every year since 2015 going up over 5% in 2017 and a little under 4% last year. A couple of countries like Germany are lagging but in general the others are complying.
Fair enough Donk. Their main gripe is with Germany as a rich and leading global power.

Foxbatt

The Germans do not complain about the US defending anyone. The Russians are not lunatics to invade or attack a NATO country. NATO is the most powerful military block in the world and the Russians do not even come close to them. If there is a conventional war they will get wiped out and only the threat of a nuclear war is keeping NATO from attacking Russia. Even that we are not sure now with people like Bolton around.
It is better that everyone spends more on upbringing the lives of their citizens than spending on the military.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
The Germans do not complain about the US defending anyone. The Russians are not lunatics to invade or attack a NATO country. NATO is the most powerful military block in the world and the Russians do not even come close to them. If there is a conventional war they will get wiped out and only the threat of a nuclear war is keeping NATO from attacking Russia. Even that we are not sure now with people like Bolton around.
It is better that everyone spends more on upbringing the lives of their citizens than spending on the military.
I don't think the NATO prowess sans the US is big enough to deter either Russia or China. The US on its own can deter either by itself.

Abizzz

I don't think the NATO prowess sans the US is big enough to deter either Russia or China. The US on its own can deter either by itself.
Even if this were true it wouldn't matter much because American & UK propaganda about Russia and China only go so far on the European continent. There's good reasons a lot of people now see Trump as a more dangerous threat than Putin or Xi.

JakeC

Last Man Standing 2 champion 2020/21
They use diplomatic language, offering an olive branch because they need good relations with America, its as simple as that.

Fair enough Donk. Their main gripe is with Germany as a rich and leading global power.
Good relations with America are certainly important, however that is not the reason why they are using diplomatic language. They're using diplomatic language because they're not buffoons playing politics as a sort of vanity project.

Foxbatt

Even if this were true it wouldn't matter much because American & UK propaganda about Russia and China only go so far on the European continent. There's good reasons a lot of people now see Trump as a more dangerous threat than Putin or Xi.
Spot on. As far as I know neither Russia nor China has invaded militarily on their own on any country recently. The Crimea issue is different. Neither have they put sanctions on their own on any country. So why should Russia even think of invading Europe on their own? Even if you take the US out of the equation there is no way Russia can invade Europe. They simply are not strong enough to do it. There are not the USSR. Yes they have nuclear weapons and can destroy the world but if they do so they will be destroyed too. They are not lunatics.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
There's good reasons a lot of people now see Trump as a more dangerous threat than Putin or Xi.
I would dispute that. There still is belief that US Govt will act as a safeguard from most radical acts (like starting a war etc etc)x esp with House under Dem control. That safeguard doesn't exist for Putin or Xi who probably have individual autonomy to do what they please.

Fully Fledged

You're kidding yourself if you don't think nations take what the leader of the most powerful nation in the world seriously. Even if he comes up with stupid ideas like buying Greenland he has to be take seriously on most other issues.

The difference between the US and the Paris climate agreement and European nations on NATO spending is that Trump is a least honest about not taking part. European nations continue to pay lip service about meeting their NATO defence spending promise of at least 2% buy 2024.
The leak of the e-mails from the UK Ambassador to America showed how seriously America's allies take the Leader of The Free World. The fact that he was not sacked the moment that he sent them proves that most of his superiors agreed with his opinion.

The fact that members of the UK government were willing to leak those e-mails for their own advantage even shows haw easy he is to play if you want to push his buttons and aim him at someone else.

Red Defence

“United stands for attacking, attractive football
The leak of the e-mails from the UK Ambassador to America showed how seriously America's allies take the Leader of The Free World. The fact that he was not sacked the moment that he sent them proves that most of his superiors agreed with his opinion.

The fact that members of the UK government were willing to leak those e-mails for their own advantage even shows haw easy he is to play if you want to push his buttons and aim him at someone else.
I remember reading that one of the other European diplomats to the US, when asked about the leaked emails said “It could have been any one of us”.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
As far as I know neither Russia nor China has invaded militarily on their own on any country recently. The Crimea issue is different. Neither have they put sanctions on their own on any country.
Russia has invaded and sanctioned Georgia within the last 11-12 years.

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
It's quite right that the most war like nation in NATO should pay more than everyone else, it's usually their fault the military are needed in the first place

Classical Mechanic

He literally said in the leaks not to underestimate him or write him off. Everyone knows that Trump is a impulsive narcissist and fool but he’s the leader of the most powerful nation on earth, his actions can lead us into a global recession and very well might do. For these reasons you have to take him seriously and work with him if possible.

Abizzz

I would dispute that. There still is belief that US Govt will act as a safeguard from most radical acts (like starting a war etc etc)x esp with House under Dem control. That safeguard doesn't exist for Putin or Xi who probably have individual autonomy to do what they please.
Oh i'm not arguing that that is indisputably true, I'm not even sure I myself think Trump is more dangerous (largely because he's a coward). I'm just saying threatening to withdraw support / defense is a mute threat when large parts of the population think the protector is worse than the threat. On a similar note the US ambassador to Germany recently tried to threaten a US withdrawal from Germany if it doesn't increase it's own spending. He apparently wasn't aware or briefed about that being a very popular decision in Germany.

Of course the US won't do any of it because the truth is that their bases in Europe are much more important to them than to Europe.

WensleyMU

Those people are obviously idiots.

Abizzz

Those people are obviously idiots.
I don't know if they are. Trump has been a lot more damaging to their interests than the other two in the past 30 months. I'm on the fence myself, but if I'd have to bet who is going to start the next big war (or is involved in it) my money is on the USA.

WensleyMU

I don't know if they are. Trump has been a lot more damaging to their interests than the other two in the past 30 months. I'm on the fence myself, but if I'd have to bet who is going to start the next big war (or is involved in it) my money is on the USA.
I don't think Trump is a war monger myself. It was often claimed during his campaign that he was an isolationist which would mean he is unlikely to be the aggressor.

Even if he wanted to, it is very unlikely he would get a declaration of war passed anyway.

And remember, in a year or 5, Trump will be history, while Putin and Xi will remain.

You can also look at the treatment of Muslims in China. It makes the US treatment of immigrants coming through Mexico look 5*.

Red Dreams

Across the Universe....from Old Trafford.
I don't think Trump is a war monger myself. It was often claimed during his campaign that he was an isolationist which would mean he is unlikely to be the aggressor.

Even if he wanted to, it is very unlikely he would get a declaration of war passed anyway.

And remember, in a year or 5, Trump will be history, while Putin and Xi will remain.

You can also look at the treatment of Muslims in China. It makes the US treatment of immigrants coming through Mexico look 5*.
Iran?

The World could be history....

Yeah...you can look around and see somewhere where they treat people worse I suppose. We can all sleep soundly now.