US/UK/France launch airstrikes in Syria

SwansonsTache

incontinent sexual deviant & German sausage lover
Just as likely to be Jaish-Al-Islam for propaganda purposes.

Can't trust anything being reported on that conflict.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Assad seems to be doubling down on his chemical weapons attacks with Putin protecting him now.

Simbo

Could probably do with a 'Dead kids/babies/etc' warning on the vid...

Marcelinho87

Humanity never fails to disappoint me. feck every world leader for allowing shit like this to ever manifest or happen and then pretending they care.

The videos and pictures coming out are heartbreaking.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
I like to think I’m so desensitised to human suffering/violence/death that not much can make me feel ill anymore but pressing play on that video did.

Why are we such a bad species?

antihenry

CAF GRU Rep
Notice how whenever Syrian Army does well, like in Eastern Ghouta now, yet another chemical attack on civilians takes place. Why would Assad want to keep poisoning innocent civilians and what can he possibly gain from that is still a mystery. Now, if he used chemical warfare against the armed jihadists, that would be at least somewhat believable. But all you see in those photos are women, children, old people etc because that's what provokes a public reaction. And let's not forget, it's Russia and Putin that support this terrible dictator, so I expect there'll be more news about chemical attacks on civilian population by a bloodthirsty savages from SAA. In fact, the more successful Assad is in the war, the more news about him poisoning women and children will pop up in the western media and it'll be used as another propaganda tool from the US State Department. https://www.state.gov/r/pa/prs/ps/2018/04/280313.htm

Revan

Assumptionman
Don't see what Assad can win by doing so. He has already pretty much won the war.

Wouldn't be surprised at all if there is one of the extremist groups' last hooray in order to blame Assad and Russia. At the same time, wouldn't surprise me at all if if is Assad's regime, considering the past events.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
It could be another extremist group but if we're ruling out Assad then I think we're making the mistake of looking at him as a sensible, rational political actor instead of a fairly inhumane dictator who's not particularly bothered about the lives of the people he's ruling over.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
There have been dozens and dozens of claims of regime chemical attacks in Syria for at least five years now, some more credible than others. If we assume that the regime is responsible for all or most of these, including the most high profile cases, we must conclude that it has done so without suffering any real consequences up to this point, five years later. On the other hand, if we assume that the 'rebels' have been launching false flag attack after false flag attack, we must conclude that they have failed in achieving their aim (presumably, international intervention to remove Assad), and have never bothered attacking regime forces with chemicals, just the people under their own control.

Jaysh al-Islam is the last remaining rebel group in this enclave. It's certainly an unsavory Salafi group, guilty of indiscriminate rocket attacks on other suburbs of Damascus, hiding among civilian populations, and explicitly anti-Shi'i rhetoric. At times it has partnered with Nusra, at other times it has fought them - they're currently on extremely bad terms. Its sponsor is (or certainly was) Saudi Arabia. At the same time, it is not a foreign jihadi outfit. This enclave is its base, where its leadership and the bulk of its fighters hail from, an area with a long history of opposition to the regime and Salafi activism. There have been some credible reports that its leadership have very recently been in direct negotiations with the Russians on flipping to a pro-regime position in return for being allowed to stay in the enclave and continue to rule it.

Last edited:

Spoony

The People's President
Notice how whenever Syrian Army does well, like in Eastern Ghouta now, yet another chemical attack on civilians takes place. Why would Assad want to keep poisoning innocent civilians and what can he possibly gain from that is still a mystery. Now, if he used chemical warfare against the armed jihadists, that would be at least somewhat believable. But all you see in those photos are women, children, old people etc because that's what provokes a public reaction. And let's not forget, it's Russia and Putin that support this terrible dictator, so I expect there'll be more news about chemical attacks on civilian population by a bloodthirsty savages from SAA. In fact, the more successful Assad is in the war, the more news about him poisoning women and children will pop up in the western media and it'll be used as another propaganda tool from the US State Department. https://www.state.gov/r/pa/prs/ps/2018/04/280313.htm
Yep, that's how I see it.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
There have been dozens and dozens of claims of regime chemical attacks in Syria for at least five years now, some more credible than others. If we assume that the regime is responsible for all or most of these, including the most high profile cases, we must conclude that it has done so without suffering any real consequences up to this point, five years later. On the other hand, if we assume that the 'rebels' have been launching false flag attack after false flag attack, we must conclude that they have failed in achieving their aim (presumably, international intervention to remove Assad), and have never bothered attacking regime forces with chemicals, just the people under their own control.

Jaysh al-Islam is the last remaining rebel group in this enclave. It's certainly an unsavory Salafi group, guilty of indiscriminate rocket attacks on other suburbs of Damascus, hiding among civilian populations, and explicitly anti-Shi'i rhetoric. At times it has partnered with Nusra, at other times it has fought them - they're currently on extremely bad terms. Its sponsor is (or certainly was) Saudi Arabia. At the same time, it is not a foreign jihadi outfit. This enclave is its base, where its leadership and the bulk of its fighters hail from, an area with a long history of opposition to the regime and Salafi activism. There have been some credible reports that its leadership have very recently been in direct negotiations with the Russians on flipping to a pro-regime position in return for being allowed to stay in the enclave and continue to rule it.
It also bears the hallmark of all of Assad's previous attacks. Assad is clearly doing as he pleases with the knowledge that Putin has his back when it comes to international outrage.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I’m starting to wonder if Russia even exists.
Its a classic tactic. They would like us arguing with one another in order to dilute their actions. The ultimate goal would be for us to question the very concept of truth, at which point everything is subjective and immune from any moral scrutiny.

Last edited:

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
It might have been Nusra or those other extremist groups. Can never say.
Its more likely that they did it. Assad was blamed for it previously also and it was revealed later on that it was actually done by the terrorists. If assad was gassing civilians he would have no problems gassing the terrorists also. However, the victims only happen to be syrian army solders, kurdish soldiers, free syrian army solders (only when they're not getting along with the terrorists, surprise surprise!) and civilians (mostly in areas controlled by the terrorists and when the terrorists are on the back foot).

Its not that im certain assad didn't do it but given the uncertainty and going by recent history i'd put my money on the terrorists.

2cents

Scout
Some Lebanese Twitter accounts reporting jets breaking the sound barrier above their heads heading in direction of Syria just now. Could be the Israelis or Russians of course.

2cents

Scout

Further info down the thread.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Some Lebanese Twitter accounts reporting jets breaking the sound barrier above their heads heading in direction of Syria just now. Could be the Israelis or Russians of course.
I wouldn’t expect anything this soon. :nervous:

2cents

Scout
I wouldn’t expect anything this soon. :nervous:
Something is definitely happening, multiple regime sources claiming strikes are being conducted at various locations.

2cents

Scout

2cents

Scout
Twitter at its most addictive and useless tonight, absolutely awash with rumours and speculation. Anyway: