USA will win the World Cup before England wins it again

Lagger

Supports
FC Bayern
Lol Europeans are obviously butthurt that a country that refers to the beautify game as 'soccer' progressed beyond them in a sport they couldn't care less about and doing it so in a tough group.Also USA came close to beating Ronaldo's Portugal at this world Cup and England failed to beat them at the previous one and also may I remind you who topped England's group in 2010? USA are catching up believe me.The popularity of football is slowly growing and you are running scared because deep down you know that the USA kicks ass, always produces the greatest athletes and dominates in every sport they take an interest in.if USA becomes a soccer powerhouse then no one would want to play in Europe.

See, I'm from Germany, so I have no real say in this but... if I was English, I would tell you that I wasn't worried at all. Problem is, you're going to forget football again in 2 weeks when the world cup is over. English fans will always love football. Even if their team has a terrible tournament. And as can be seen with your last football adventure, it doesn't catch on in the US. You have a somewhat average team right now, which is cool for you. But they're old. You're going to have to improve a lot to even get close to competing for the actual cup. See, in Europe, winning in sports mean you actually are good at it instead of getting cheated to the top by artificial rules. :)

So have fun gloating, enjoy it while it lasts. When England is going to win the world cup, the USA will still not have gotten near it. And what's funnier, you'll have forgotten all about this and pretend you never liked football all along. Just like the last time. :D

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
I really agree. I genuinely want the US to do well and become a big player when it comes to football, some of the most passionate football fans I know are Americans who I count as very close friends and I have huge respect for how the Americans do sports.

But yes, the idea that we should all be interested and focused on a hypothetical American rise is incredibly annoying. I would believe Sarah was doing a quite funny WUM if I hadn't unfortunately met some Americans who are genuinely like this.

Oh well, I'll just have to wait to see if America does become a potential world cup winner. If they do, I'll be more than happy to see them win it, on the condition that I can avoid a certain type of American after.....
I met fans like that out in Brazil too, who were really, really nice, but seemed amusingly obsessed by England, and how they'd usurped us. I found it more intriguing than anything, because to them we seem to be the old enemy. But to us, they're ....well, not. It felt a bit like Everton gloating that they finished ahead of us in the table last year. "Ok, cool mate. Good for you!"...Plus having us as a rival is setting the bar pretty low.

But then it's impossible to stereotype Americans. It shouldn't even be tried. The cultural difference between the coasts and the heartland is so big that even the broad "patriotic blowhard" stereotypes are hugely unfair (well, as unfair as any stereotype is tbf)

It's basically a mini-continent rather than a country in terms of behaviour and attitude. And europeans certainly do have a tendency to ignore that.

Last edited:

ManUArfa

Reasons the same teams have won the World cup repeatedly:

Brazil (5)- street football culture, large population that lives for football, skills-based approach, production of footballing legends (Pele, Ronaldo)
Italy (4)- earlier lack of competition and home advantage, tournament mentality- if you aren't losing you're still in it, cheat
Germany (3)- early lack of competition and home advantage, ruthless efficiency and exceptional team working, tournament mentality - no fear, cheat
Uruguay (2)- lack of competition, home and other South American soil advantage, cheat
Argentina (2)- tournament mentality again, production of a footballing legend (Maradonna), cheat even more

With the exception of Uruguay all of the above have a World Cup pedigree that will increase the likelihood of them winning again.

Others in this elite club:
England (1)- home advantage, team work and spirit, lack of competition (became more competitive from this period on)
France (1)- home advantage, produced a generation of fantastic players
Spain (1)- produced a generation of fantastic players at one club, tika taka system that nobody knew how to deal with

As has been said, England have more chance than the USA to win it and thus join the all important group of multiple winners. We will need to produce a generation of top talent who are playing regular PL and ECL football and have favourable conditions to have any chance though...

Abizzz

Italy (4)- cheat
Germany (3)- cheat
Uruguay (2)- cheat
Argentina (2)- cheat even more
I see a pattern :lol:

England will most likely win it before the US do. If everything works perfectly it could be as soon as 2022. More realistically sometime between 2026-2040. The US could catch up in 5 - 10 years. With baseball, eggball, basketball and hockey remaining as important as they currently are I doubt it will be anytime soon though.

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Lol Europeans are obviously butthurt that a country that refers to the beautify game as 'soccer' progressed beyond them in a sport they couldn't care less about and doing it so in a tough group.Also USA came close to beating Ronaldo's Portugal at this world Cup and England failed to beat them at the previous one and also may I remind you who topped England's group in 2010? USA are catching up believe me.The popularity of football is slowly growing and you are running scared because deep down you know that the USA kicks ass, always produces the greatest athletes and dominates in every sport they take an interest in.if USA becomes a soccer powerhouse then no one would want to play in Europe.

:lol:

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Yeah, that'll show 'em!
*shakes puny fist*

bpet15

:lol: Is this a spoof post? I literally don't know if you're serious right now.
Please stop! You are making us look bad and you obviously are just spouting at the mouth.

If you truly knew the depths of soccer in America from youth to professional you wouldn't be spewing so much garbage.

Be proud of the performance of the group at this World Cup, but why bring the England battering?

Edit - meant as response to Sarah.

Last edited:

XdanielredX

Maximum 'Muricaaa

Vato

Watches other men wank.Supports Real.Coincidence?
Supports
Real Madrid
Please stop! You are making us look bad and you obviously are just spouting at the mouth.

If you truly knew the depths of soccer in America from youth to professional you wouldn't be spewing so much garbage.

Be proud of the performance of the group at this World Cup, but why bring the England battering?

Edit - meant as response to Sarah.
I think this thread has been one big windup to be honest.

kiwired

even if this were true, you or anybody currently on earth won't be alive to see it. We will all die of old age and other things before USA wins the WC, and frankly, it would be a mercy.

Golo

Maybe USA will win it in a couple of centuries.

kiwired

Yeah? New Zealand was the only undefeated team at the last World Cup. Do you think that deep down Europe and South America are running scared from the inevitable rise of New Zealand towards football world domination? You bet they are!

Jayvin

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
if USA becomes a soccer powerhouse then no one would want to play in Europe.
Even if the USA becomes the best team in the world and wins 3 world cups in a row, the best players still won't want to play there, the best players will ALWAYS want to play in Europe. Champions League > anything America has to offer.

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
If 'soccer' gains in popularity in the college sporting world, the states could dominate in the future. College sports is basically professional standard when the athletes are developing. There is so much money involved it's scary.

But at the moment soccer is still for kids and foreigners in the States. At this rate it will be a slow climb but eventually there will be an American phenom who grew up watching Ronaldo or something.

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
The reason the US probably has a chance of winning a World Cup before England: no "football culture" inertia. England will continue to be mediocre as long as the FA keeps doing what it's doing--nothing. It doesn't help that the Premier League as an entity doesn't really care about developing English players or other things not directly tied to it. If the Premier League won't adjust schedules to allow for Champions League teams to prepare during the business end of the season and refuses to institute a winter break, it won't do a thing to genuinely improve English youth development.

Rykker_4united

Supports
Keep Rodgers at Pool.

fontaine

Ful Ful Ful Member Full Member Full Member

:lol:

fontaine

I think World Cup is overrated in measuring the state of a nation's football. The quality of your players are what should be used as thermometer.

I'll never think of US as a football power if their star players are as mediocre as Bradley, Jones etc. I don't care if they make it to round of 16 a thousand times in a row. Argelia looked better than US but no one talks about them.

For example, I think Brazilian football has been totally shit ever since 2005 or so.. not because of the 7-1 or 2010, but because of the level of our domestic football and the level of our top players, who are all defenders or working midfielders. Our attackers aren't stars in big Euro teams.

I wouldn't care if Brazil made it to the finals, which would be very likely if we got Holland instead of Germany in semis. I'd still think our football is in shambolic state

Players and domestic club level. That is what measures the countries state in football. (The latter can be deceiving since you can have a lot of foreigners in your clubs, or your clubs simply have more money than others which is the case of Brazilian clubs vs other S.American clubs)

Cal?

CR7 fan
I think World Cup is overrated in measuring the state of a nation's football. The quality of your players are what should be used as thermometer.

I'll never think of US as a football power if their star players are as mediocre as Bradley, Jones etc. I don't care if they make it to round of 16 a thousand times in a row. Argelia looked better than US but no one talks about them.

For example, I think Brazilian football has been totally shit ever since 2005 or so.. not because of the 7-1 or 2010, but because of the level of our domestic football and the level of our top players, who are all defenders or working midfielders. Our attackers aren't stars in big Euro teams.

I wouldn't care if Brazil made it to the finals, which would be very likely if we got Holland instead of Germany in semis. I'd still think our football is in shambolic state

Players and domestic club level. That is what measures the countries state in football. (The latter can be deceiving since you can have a lot of foreigners in your clubs, or your clubs simply have more money than others which is the case of Brazilian clubs vs other S.American clubs)
At least you have Neymar.

The problem with players alone is that some players are consistently over-rated, Rooney has always been billed as a world class player, yet he's not shown in consistently at all.

red_devil83

I think they've got more chance than England of ever winning it. They seem to keep getting better, England only get worse. Unless the FA is completely gutted and reformed then we'll be where Scotland and Wales are in 20 years.

fontaine

At least you have Neymar.

The problem with players alone is that some players are consistently over-rated, Rooney has always been billed as a world class player, yet he's not shown in consistently at all.
Yeah but during 97-2007 ten year period, Brazil won 6 world player of the year awards. Neymar isn't close to that yet, and the others are even further

Anyways, the thread is about USA and England, sorry for shifting the discussion.

Last edited:

Inigo

Brazil (5)- street football culture, large population that lives for football, skills-based approach, production of footballing legends (Pele, Ronaldo)
Italy (4)- earlier lack of competition and home advantage, tournament mentality- if you aren't losing you're still in it, cheat
Germany (3)- early lack of competition and home advantage, ruthless efficiency and exceptional team working, tournament mentality - no fear, cheat
Uruguay (2)- lack of competition, home and other South American soil advantage, cheat
Argentina (2)- tournament mentality again, production of a footballing legend (Maradonna), cheat even more

With the exception of Uruguay all of the above have a World Cup pedigree that will increase the likelihood of them winning again.

Others in this elite club:
England (1)- home advantage, team work and spirit, lack of competition (became more competitive from this period on)
France (1)- home advantage, produced a generation of fantastic players
Spain (1)- produced a generation of fantastic players at one club, tika taka system that nobody knew how to deal with

As has been said, England have more chance than the USA to win it and thus join the all important group of multiple winners. We will need to produce a generation of top talent who are playing regular PL and ECL football and have favourable conditions to have any chance though...
So Germany win in 54 and England in 66 due to lack of competition and football only becoming truly competitive later on, yet no such mention towards Brazil's titles in 58 and 62.

Cal?

CR7 fan
Yeah but during 97-2007 ten year period, Brazil won 6 world player of the year awards. Neymar isn't close to that yet, and the others are even further

Anyways, the thread is about USA and England, sorry for shifting the discussion.
Neymar would be there or thereabouts if it wasn't for the ballon D'or being contested by 2 players only every year since 2008, 2010 was the one year that we could have seen someone else but even that wasn't enough.

Anyway, back to USA v England, both seem to lack the mentality of ever winning it any time soon. I don't expect either to win it in my lifetime.