Using the term "Man Utd"...And all the nonsense that goes with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Radar

maybe my subsequent posts have given a bit of clarity on the quoted text and you may actually want to say whats on your mind and perhaps get a better insight as to why i said it and the context in which it was said has been confirmed to be regarding Melburnians and i know its a facht that Man Utd ignorance happens a lot in Asia and N America. places i have been to before and also a huge influence over my thoughts regarding Man Utd have been from the Redcafe forums.... i have been a looong time lurker on here mate
Ive said whats on my mind...your a bellend, well that was my opinion before, but, after reading your subsequent posts ive changed my mind, you are actually an enormous bellend.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
And btw, African-Americans fought racism partly by devaluing racist words like "nigger".

They didn't wet their crotches like some bitches here. They knew exactly what they were doing.
Oh god not this again- even Mockney's OP cannot kill off this bloody topic.

Not sure that an allusion to African-Americans' fight against racism is appropriate tbh. Plus the 'n'-bomb still holds a lot of power- see what it did to Ron Atkinson's career a few years back.

On the Man Utd front, as Mockney painstakingly pointed out, the only way it can be taken as offence is if you find it an affront to your ears. Other fans aren't going to call us United, particularly fans from Newcastle, Leeds and Oxford etc..!

Sublimit

To be honest, i'm wondering about that myself
Ive said whats on my mind...your a bellend, well that was my opinion before, but, after reading your subsequent posts ive changed my mind, you are actually an enormous bellend.
Man-yoo-are................ a fecking wanker if that s all you can come up with.. which was to insult me twice.... yeah great contribution to the thread and your inability to comprehend the diversity of the term 'Man Utd' and accept the fact that the majority of people here don't like it being used over United, or in my case, in any context. I dislike the term and it pisses me of when people use it ignorantly.... yeah what happens in public makes me a bellend. Man.you're..... gonna stay off my radar, because people like you don't bring any value to these boards

Who the feck are Man United!:devil: who the feck are Man Utd?:rolleyes:either way the reds go marching on On ON!

Mirare

Kinda fecks me up that cos of some ignorant scouser tards with zero empathy we cannot call our club however we want to. How about that as a version... I do respect the whole fuss around it though... Still makes me even more angry how ignorant some people are and I have to pay the price since I am deprived from being able to refer to United in a short form... How fecked up is that?

Aaron

Thread bump!

I've read it is just something people call the club, usually non-followers but it is especially popular with children of all footballing persuasions and that people should perhaps stop getting things stuck up their bum and knickers in a twist about it.

Vitro

Why would anyone care? I call the club "united", anyone else can call them whatever they want. It doesn't affect me.

Aaron

Why would anyone care? I call the club "united", anyone else can call them whatever they want. It doesn't affect me.
I know, it's one of those things that certain fans really give a shit about and I've absolutely no idea why. Nobody who says it means it in a negative or derogatory way. It's just what many call the club. Many children especially.

I'm all for getting annoyed over the slightest of things but this is too far for even I.

JustAFan

The Adebayo Akinfenwa of football photoshoppers
An evil little city in the NE United States
Here is my view on it, whatever the history, I know the term annoys some people and since it only takes a miniscule amount of extra effort to type Man Utd or even Manchester United, I just have gotten used to doing that.

On the other side of the coin, I don't give people a hard time about using the term either, because I hear or read so many Man Utd fans use the term and as the OP points out have seen the old signs, pins, etc in which Man Utd fans used the term themselves.

So yeah taking the middle of the road on this one.

jeston

nah the way i see it is that its used by rivals and should not be used by the club,fans or anyone connected in any way
Then you should probably read the first post and realise it was used by our own fans and by journalists in a non-derogatory manner way before any rivals used it.

Sparky10Legend

Yep, looks like i was wrong on this one. I wont use it, but by all means go for it.

Although as a footnote i would say that just because things were once "ok", doesnt mean they always are, Liverpool offered us players after Munich, would they do that now?

I realise thats a crap example, so apologies, but im just trying to make the point that things change.

Hectic

Supports
30fps
Whether it makes a difference, what was originally offensive or not, it doesn't matter.

It's a matter of consideration at the end of the day. It's accepted by pretty much everyone to use United, Manchester United etc. It's not really accepted by many to use Man Utd as a term, it annoys or upsets others, so really, considering we all support the same team, why use it?

It's not really a case of proving or using history to prove if the term was used by our own, or what it meant. It's just a case of using another word, to not upset the masses who feel differently. It really isn't that hard, or too much to ask for.

mccullough88

Yep, looks like i was wrong on this one. I wont use it, but by all means go for it.

Although as a footnote i would say that just because things were once "ok", doesnt mean they always are, Liverpool offered us players after Munich, would they do that now?

I realise thats a crap example, so apologies, but im just trying to make the point that things change.
not all liverpool fans are bad, theres some on here that are "sound as a pound" they even set up a thread on munich last week

Sparky10Legend

I would be the first to accept that, I "hate" them as a collective, but not as individuals (couple of decent posters on here too as you say).

jeston

I don't actually use 'Man Utd' myself but i don't have a problem with those who do. Obviously only rival fans use it for the obvious negative connotations, but there are a lot of fans (usually foreign - doesn't mean they're any less of a supporter) who aren't as clued up about United's history as others. And they just use it - like it's first intended use - as an abbreviation. You do see numerous times on this forum when somebody says 'Man Utd' and somebody will comment on it with a ":nono:" and "learn the history mate" which is a bit out of order really when, really, the term is just that - an abbreviation. So although rival fans used the abbreviated form to create songs about Munich or whatever they want, the origin doesn't have any negative connotations, and we shouldn't let a few small time worthless rival fans change the meaning of a term coined way before they were probably even born.

chicole

have to admit I hate the term 'Man Utd' but the fact is fans have called it Man Utd in the past and they shouldn't be told what to say about their own club

ROFLUTION

When Fergie was on 'Who wants to be a millionaire', the term Man Utd was used several times in a row in front of him, without him thinking twice about it.

Should be enough evidence for the internet-myth believers, that it's not insanely offensive.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
When Fergie was on 'Who wants to be a millionaire', the term Man Utd was used several times in a row in front of him, without him thinking twice about it.

Should be enough evidence for the internet-myth believers, that it's not insanely offensive.
'Course it's not insanely offensive. It's a neutral term when it isn't pronounced "manure", and it has been used for years.

I would say, though, that it's mainly used by neutrals and fans from other countries. I've never used anything but "United" myself - and I've never met a born and bred manc who used it.

Doesn't matter much, does it? It's obvious enough that the people here who use it aren't doing it offensively, so what's the problem?

deadonhi

Willy
People will be offended if they choose to be. I find it mildly amusing that people can actually be offended by use of that term but hey ho what can you do. Our own players past present have used it many, many times in interviews and the like. If you ask me; move on, nothing to see here.

Nick7

Why would anyone be childish enough to be offended by what a football team is called?

Eric'sCollar

Asked for his wife's permission before signing up
I think U is mainly used by those in Asia. No offence to those there but the people who have just hopped on.

C.M.P

2014 Grand National Sweepstake Winner
Man Utd is the code used on the stock exchange,

I don't care what anyone calls us.

NK86

Fergie was on "Who wants to be a millionair"! I had not friggin idea. Have to see that now :D

EDIT: Anyone who could provide a link to that episode? Do PM me. Would be really grateful :)

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
Whether it makes a difference, what was originally offensive or not, it doesn't matter.

It's a matter of consideration at the end of the day. It's accepted by pretty much everyone to use United, Manchester United etc. It's not really accepted by many to use Man Utd as a term, it annoys or upsets others, so really, considering we all support the same team, why use it?

It's not really a case of proving or using history to prove if the term was used by our own, or what it meant. It's just a case of using another word, to not upset the masses who feel differently. It really isn't that hard, or too much to ask for.
I'm sorry, I completely disagree with this. It very much IS a case of proving the history, because the whole point of this exercise was to stop the quasi-bullying of people for using the word, by people pretending to be "annoyed or upset" due entirely to a fake mythology, which they used as a stick to simultaneously show off their fandom and beat others with.

I don't use the term, and agree that Utd or United should take precedent (and pretty much everyone who goes or knows their onions does use these) but anyone who's actually "annoyed or upset" by the usage of Man Utd is most definitely in the wrong, and "the masses" don't really give a feck.

Collyhurst

Man Utd an outsider term. I can't be assed aslong as a manc don't say it.

The Man Himself

asked for a tagline change and all I got was this.
I have grown tired of explaining the history about that term to fellow United and Non-United fans in India and asking them not to use it. But people ignore. That doesnt mean they use it for same purpose for which we hate, it is just that they have grown comfortable with it. I choose to ignore them nowadays.

Rob67

I'm sorry, I completely disagree with this. It very much IS a case of proving the history, because the whole point of this exercise was to stop the quasi-bullying of people for using the word, by people pretending to be "annoyed or upset" due entirely to a fake mythology, which they used as a stick to simultaneously show off their fandom and beat others with.

I don't use the term, and agree it that Utd or United should take precedent, but anyone who's actually "annoyed or upset" by the usage is most definitely in the wrong, and "the masses" don't really give a feck.
Agree 100% with Mockney. All this bollocks about Man Utd being derogatory term really does my head in. I always refer to us as UNITED (well 99.9% of the time) but have no problem with people saying Man Utd, have said it a few times myself. What I don't need is some teenage/foreign keyboard warrior preaching to me on what's right or wrong. I've been a match going UNITED supporter for nearly 40 years so I can call our club what I like.

Mrs Smoker

Supports
Panthère du Ndé
I have grown tired of explaining the history about that term to fellow United and Non-United fans in India and asking them not to use it. But people ignore. That doesnt mean they use it for same purpose for which we hate, it is just that they have grown comfortable with it. I choose to ignore them nowadays.
Would love to read about the history of it. Just once more, ok?

Rob67

Please enlighten us one more time. A lesson from 'THE MAN HIMSELF'. Just hope we're worthy.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
The thing that amuses me is that it's always the same paragraph. Exactly the same paragraph word for word. That's the only source anyone can ever find.

"Man Utd is not a term United fans refer to themselves as. The term is only used by other supporters as a complete and utter insult to our club. The "u" is meant to be "you" by the rival fans......" etc etc

You'd think that would trigger alarm bells in the more inquisitive.

The whole thing's a great exercise in starting rumours on the internet. I'd try and work out how & why it was started, but I can't remotely be bothered.

Status
Not open for further replies.