Using the term "Man Utd"...And all the nonsense that goes with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

pltan

Nope, I have never heard any football fan in Singapore call us Red Devils. I don't think anyone does, apart from the media.
I have...not to mention wasn't the official united bar above the store once called the red devil cafe?

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
But they use it to make themselves feel superior Mockers, dont take that away from them!

pltan

But they use it to make themselves feel superior Mockers, dont take that away from them!

Everyone knows you aren't a true united fan until you knowcked your bird up at OT and held her hand during childbirth in the centre of the pitch!

LJ_Red

Listen lemon chop, I've been to Old Trafford about 300 times and never heard that. If I did I would cringe and feel embarrassed for them.
It is cringeworthy, and embarrassing, I mean go call Liverpool 'Pool' or whatever it is some of you cockneys call them and see how they react, it's just as embarrassing as 'Man Utd'. I used to cringe when then guy was on soccer am who always claimed he supported 'Man Utd'.

Eyepopper

What makes me cringe is seeing people act all superior and like they know the history of the club, when they actually haven't got a clue what they're talking about.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
They can argue about how plastic is now for all eternity...I just wanted to take away their ability to accuse people of mocking the dead.

Incidentally, I don't think I've ever heard anyone say "come on Man Utd" at a game (but that doesn't mean they don't)...It's just not a very popular phrase, and as someone mentioned earlier it probably has connotations with ManYoo to some (but again, only because ManYoo arose OUT of Man Utd and not the other way around) and it's annoying to others.

I'd personally encourage everyone to say United, but I'm not Lord and master of fans, and it's still not an insult.....Manure is what opposition fans call us to rile us..

Eyepopper

Its a stupid term, to me we'll always be either Manchester United or Man Utd, but who gives a shit.

Its just ironic the number of top reds that pop up to have a go at people 'not knowing the history' of the club when in reality the fact that meaning they apply to it actually means they're just as bad.

RG 11

I have mates who take this Man Utd is an insult bollocks too seriously. Start abusing others who use the term. And most use GGMU (Glory Glory Man United) and RDTE (Red Devils till Eternity) and other such stuff which I don't even bother asking. Cringeworthy really :houllier:

I never call the club Man Utd as I don't really like term. It's like calling Newcastle New U. We even have a club here in Mumbai called Mahindra United which gets called "Mah U" by the press. :lol:

Mockney

Well Red Devils till Eternity is certainly something you hear all the time down the Toll Gate....

"The mighty Red Devils till Eternity!!
We'll follow till we die that's a certainty
We rush the ball forward with great Urgency
Oh the good old Red Devils till Eternity!"

...Can you even have "till" eternity?...Eternity's eternal, you can't 'till it surely?

Tyf

It hasn't morphed into one...Most oppo fans don't know jack shit about this whole Man Utd/Munich thing anyway, only the ones who frequent odd message boards....it's almost exclusively gullible United fans on the internet.
Not sure about that though Mockney. Somehow all my friends that supports Liverpool always use "Man Utd", while us United supporters always use "United".

Like some people say in here, "Man Utd" just sounds childish or wrong somehow. But I do agree that some people are too fecking obsessed with competing for the top-red-of-the-year title. And that is a lot more childish than referring to our team as "Man Utd".

You can often hear old United legends referring to the club as "Man Utd". So it's no suprise that the Munich story is very exaggerated.

PS: Man Utd is really good at Soccer! :p

markgiggsy11

I have mates who take this Man Utd is an insult bollocks too seriously. Start abusing others who use the term. And most use GGMU (Glory Glory Man United) and RDTE (Red Devils till Eternity) and other such stuff which I don't even bother asking. Cringeworthy really :houllier:

I never call the club Man Utd as I don't really like term. It's like calling Newcastle New U. We even have a club here in Mumbai called Mahindra United which gets called "Mah U" by the press. :lol:
Don't know why this is so huge in India. Maybe other Asian countries too but I know India for sure. I'm Indian too.

A GGMU comes off as the most plastic thing ever. And you are right, it is absolutely cringeworthy.

PS: Man Utd is really good at Soccer! :p
What's that now? :angel:

Mockney

Not sure about that though Mockney. Somehow all my friends that supports Liverpool always use "Man Utd", while us United supporters always use "United".
That doesn't mean they do it to insult the Munich dead though....it just means they use it. It's without question used more by opposition fans than it is United fans. My only point is that it isn't an insult to Munich

RedTillI'mDead

A Key Tool
What a load of sweaty bollocks!

I'll start with a request for rep for Mockney if not already given. It is important to highlight the non-nonsensical rubbish that surrounds this.

I've been brought up on this when I started on this forum. I'd actually been reading this forum for the best part of 2-3 years, but had not signed up. I guess I figured there was enough people saying the same things, but then I felt like I'm a Man Utd fan and should speak up.

I was politely informed of the insulting nature of "Man Utd" and although I found it frustrating that people can take the abbreviation and see it as an insult, I decided it is similar to the word N*gga, thus respect it for how it is interpreted, rather then what it is. I guess for this reason I will refrain from using Man Utd on these forums.

However, while we are on the topic, it is worth highlighting how much of a fail this is to Man Utd fans! Opposition fans are effectively winning at restricting our choice purely down to a couple of crappy chants. Just to highlight the stupidity, please tell me the difference between the following:

"Man Utd Man Utd went on a plane Man Utd Man Utd never came back again"
""Man Utd Man Utd went on a plane Man Utd Man Utd never came back again"
"Manchester United Manchester United went on a plane Manchester United Manchester United never came back again"

In simple, the difference is how it sounds in a rhyme! Man Utd is slicker and for this reason we should be able to use it as fans. Why should our chants sound less effective, less smooth, just because some rival fans came up with crap insulting chants/ lyrics.

Another example:
"Man Utd Never Intended Coming Home"
"Man Utd Never Intended Coming Home"
"Manchester United Never Intended Coming Home"
The same word swap can occur here with the same desired result.

And again:
"Duncan Edwards is manure, rotting in his grave, man you are manure- rotting in your grave"
"Duncan Edwards is manure, rotting in his grave, Man Utd are manure- rotting in their grave"
"Duncan Edwards is manure, rotting in his grave, Manchester United are manure- rotting in their grave"
Ok this one again does not sound quite as effective lyrically, but it has the same impact.

In summary
Why retire an abbreviation that makes editorial and rhyming sense, purely because of a couple of crappy lyrics that can be re-written to continue insulting us anyway! Shall we just retire our whole club name to avoid being insulted? Maybe we should have no name at all?

I feel passionate about this because its ridiculous. Man Utd is a quick and yes some may say lazy way of writing Manchester United, but how is Man Utd any better? how is Man United any better? It's all 'lazy' or to put in a better way 'quick' way of writing. This is a club website, we write the same club name a lot, not surprisingly!

I think it is about time we make a stand! Call the club what you want, if you love the club, we love love you and the club loves you too.

Liam_20

A lot of United fans don't like it, myself included. It's not the club's proper name, it's either Manchester United or United. Just because the term 'Man Utd' was made years and years ago, doesn't make it legitimate. My Dad supported the club at that time and I've never heard him call United 'Man Utd' in my life. I don't believe this myth about people that call United 'Man Utd' aren't proper fans, although a lot of people aren't a lot of hardcore fans also call us that. However, it is my personal opinion that the club should be called what its name is.

RedTillI'mDead

A Key Tool
A lot of United fans don't like it, myself included. It's not the club's proper name, it's either Manchester United or United. Just because the term 'Man Utd' was made years and years ago, doesn't make it legitimate. My Dad supported the club at that time and I've never heard him call United 'Man Utd' in my life. I don't believe this myth about people that call United 'Man Utd' aren't proper fans, although a lot of people aren't a lot of hardcore fans also call us that. However, it is my personal opinion that the club should be called what its name is.
Personally I hate the use of 'United' on its own more then anything! Ok we may have the most significant hold of the word United due to success, but that is ridiculously insulting to other teams like Sheffield or Newcastle, who this same term could apply to!

Manchester United is way too lengthy to use regularly on a Manchester United forum!

markgiggsy11

Personally I hate the use of 'United' on its own more then anything! Ok we may have the most significant hold of the word United due to success, but that is ridiculously insulting to other teams like Sheffield or Newcastle, who this same term could apply to!

Manchester United is way too lengthy to use regularly on a Manchester United forum!
So then what's your suggestion? ManUtd? MUFC?

LSharpe5

oh dear!!!

Tyf

That doesn't mean they do it to insult the Munich dead though....it just means they use it. It's without question used more by opposition fans than it is United fans. My only point is that it isn't an insult to Munich
Agreed! I don't think it's the Munich thing that goes through their mind. And they have a very special way of saying "Man Yooo". :lol:

What's that now? :angel:
:devil:

RedTillI'mDead

A Key Tool
So then what's your suggestion? ManUtd? MUFC?
Read post 98 above! Call the club what you like, in fact, purely out or protest I'm tempted to call us the cnuts until this whole thing is dropped! It is extremely insulting to everyone, it is despicable word, but Man Utd do cnut all over everyone with out CUNTISHLY good skills. Plus there is also the reverse side of it with the double meaning when I would say:

I LOVE THE cnut!!

And when the Champions League is on, I'll say
C
U
Next
Tuesday
!!!!

Just to rub it in Liverpool will not be able to use this term for the above reason, no Tuesday football for them!!

Tyf

Now now, there is only one United!!!!

markgiggsy11

Read post 98 above! Call the club what you like, in fact, purely out or protest I'm tempted to call us the cnuts until this whole thing is dropped! It is extremely insulting to everyone, it is despicable word, but Man Utd do cnut all over everyone with out CUNTISHLY good skills. Plus there is also the reverse side of it with the double meaning when I would say:

I LOVE THE cnut!!

C
U
Next
Tuesday
!!!!

Just to rub it in Liverpool will not be able to use this term for the above reason, no Tuesday football for them!!
You lost me after the "I'm tempted bit". I still don't see what point you trying to make with using the word cnut but nevermind.

And just for the record, I LOVE THE cnut has absolutely no double meaning. Only cause you cannot say I LOVE THE MANCHESTER UNITED. I'm sorry but that's just plain stupid.

I get where you coming from with the despicable words etc but my only question to you was what word would you rather use. And if your reply to this is going to be 'cnut', don't really bother.

99 red balloons

I don't buy into this "it's an insult" crap - but it is annoying, and I have never heard anyone that I consider to be knowledgeable of the game use it. I have on the other hand heard lots of American day trippers at Old Trafford use it. So there!

LSharpe5

I LOVE THE cnut!!

C
U
Next
Tuesday
!!!!

that is the strangest post i've read in quite some time.

drmuji

Great read........... Infact i have always been the one who condemns the word Man Utd and would always urge others not to say that... But since u have got proof and ** knowledge is certainly more than mine so i accept it and endorse it... Infact i'll try saying it from now on to decrease this myth as much as i can... This will also help in making the pool fans shut up as well, since they think that its Leeds and beggies creation :devil:

Liam_20

Is this post a wind up?

I'm sure it's very insulting to Newcastle and Sheffield United fans...

They have the choice to call their club 'United', some of them do, some of them don't, same as us. Either way, it's at least part of our proper name.

RedTillI'mDead

A Key Tool
You lost me after the "I'm tempted bit". I still don't see what point you trying to make with using the word cnut but nevermind.

And just for the record, I LOVE THE cnut has absolutely no double meaning. Only cause you cannot say I LOVE THE MANCHESTER UNITED. I'm sorry but that's just plain stupid.

I get where you coming from with the despicable words etc but my only question to you was what word would you rather use. And if your reply to this is going to be 'cnut', don't really bother.
Ok I had a crazy moment! I apologise! My point is purely the fact that we should be able to call the club whatever we want. See summary of post 98 above! This was the serious response and then I got carried away!

MUTD, MU, Man Utd, Man Utd, Manchester United, M-Utd, MUz, Red Devils, Red-Devis, Devz in Redz, Med's (M-ed's!!!).

Basically, who cares as long as we know it refers to Manchester United! cnuts was purely about making the point there are other names that are clearly actually insulting, but even they are not necessarily insulting if used as support not insult! It's an extremist view.

Only "United" I'm not a big fan of. It can be used against teams without a United second name or on these forums, but its the worst form of laziness. As a chant "United, United, United" is fairly simple and effective though, but is pointless if playing Newcastle!

Tyf

Only "United" I'm not a big fan of. It can be used against teams without a United second name or on these forums, but its the worst form of laziness. As a chant "United, United, United" is fairly simple and effective though, but is pointless if playing Newcastle!
Seriously?

That is part of the historical banter isn't it? Who has the right to call themselves United? That is decided on the battlefield. And the battlefield is the pitch. This was very strong back in the Leeds era as I remember.

There can be only one!!!

RedTillI'mDead

A Key Tool
Seriously?

That is part of the historical banter isn't it? Who has the right to call themselves United? That is decided on the battlefield. And the battlefield is the pitch. This was very strong back in the Leeds era as I remember.

There can be only one!!!
I understand what you are saying, I get the banter, but I feel in some ways it is understating Manchester United! The Manchester is the part that highlights the champions we are. United alone some how does not feel to me as strong. Manchester United > United > Sheffield United, Leeds United, Newcastle United, etc!

Klungland

This is correct.

Anybody calling United "Man Utd" cannot be taken seriously, nor do they deserve to be.
Thats complete and utter bullshit, my friend.
What people around the world calls our precious club does not say anything about their football-knowledge or whether they can be taken seriously or not. It all depends on where they're from, and what people in their country, city, village or whatever, have been calling the club. In my eyes, you are a self-righteous elitist, who's head is full of stupid, ridiculous stereotypes. You can't say that a random person you haven't even heard of cannot be taken seriously simply based on what name he refers to Manchester United with.

Giggsmoe

Havn't read all the replies but I'm glad you put this together Mockney. To me it's just a simple term some drunk leeds/liverpool fans took and turned it into an insult. I mean if they made a chant out of M.A.N.C.H.E.S.T.E.R.U.N.I.T.E.D which I assume is easy done what do we refer to the team as?

My 9 year old nephew is a huge united fan probably more so and has been to more games than these idiots who protest against the term but he says Man Utd because he likes it and I wouldn't dream of telling him different. Personally I don't use the term cos it's either Man Utd or United for me, I think it sounds silly but who am I to correct anyone?

P.S. I seem to remember Gary Pallister refering to Man Utd as 'Man Utd' in a few interviews, what do we do now??

Eric 7

Thats complete and utter bullshit, my friend.
What people around the world calls our precious club does not say anything about their football-knowledge or whether they can be taken seriously or not. It all depends on where they're from, and what people in their country, city, village or whatever, have been calling the club. In my eyes, you are a self-righteous elitist, who's head is full of stupid, ridiculous stereotypes. You can't say that a random person you haven't even heard of cannot be taken seriously simply based on what name he refers to Manchester United with.
Yes I can, and I just did.

Guess what as well.......... I'm 100% right.

Status
Not open for further replies.