Using the term "Man Utd"...And all the nonsense that goes with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Player Red

Somebody sort out an X Factor style competition and we can vote on the name that will be used. Whichever one has the biggest sob story will win, i can see it now.

My two cents.

I use United the whole time, it is how i refer to the club or when i'm vocal, i don't particularly care on anyone elses opinions of that means, to me it has no connotations it is just simply what i call them, so basically call them what you like, as long as people know who you are refering to it doesnt make a difference.

Moonwalker

This is hilarious. Its easier for some of the retards here to still cling to this complete and utter nonsense, than to admit they were wrong when they preached to others, acting like the top reds they are not.

:lol: It just sounds bad . K so don't use it. fecking Phonologists. Just don't bring up the "you would never say that if you had knowledge" or "its insulting" bullshit.

Player Red

This is hilarious. Its easier for some of the retards here to still cling to this complete and utter nonsense, than to admit they were wrong when they preached to others, acting like the top reds they are not.

:lol: It just sounds bad . K so don't use it. fecking Phonologists. Just don't bring up the "you would never say that if you had knowledge" or "its insulting" bullshit.
Pertaining to a vast knowledge of phones?

thesonglessbird

Glad someone actually went ahead and made this thread. Seeing fans abuse fellow fans for saying "Man Utd" is pretty sad really.

schmurnan

Great post, Mockney.

I've always referred to us as United, and I couldn't even tell you why because I don't know. But some of my mates are scousers and always refer to us as Man Utd. And I know for a fact that they don't mean it in a derogatory manner because they're not like that (I know, nice scousers, who would've guessed?!), nor do I take it as an insult when they say it. That's just what they call us.

Who gives a shit what people call us? As long as they support the team, I really don't think it matters.

And that stuff about other teams using United as well...I always thought it was to do with towns/cities having more than one team, i.e. United and City, County and Forest, or Wednesday and United.

COMS

Great post, Mockney.

I've always referred to us as United, and I couldn't even tell you why because I don't know. But some of my mates are scousers and always refer to us as Man Utd. And I know for a fact that they don't mean it in a derogatory manner because they're not like that (I know, nice scousers, who would've guessed?!), nor do I take it as an insult when they say it. That's just what they call us.

Who gives a shit what people call us? As long as they support the team, I really don't think it matters.

And that stuff about other teams using United as well...I always thought it was to do with towns/cities having more than one team, i.e. United and City, County and Forest, or Wednesday and United.
Generally when a club is called 'United' it's because at some stage way back it involved two or more clubs merging into its current form, and then adopting the name.

I don't know if that's true of all 'Uniteds' but that's the origin I believe.

Seveneric

It's such a shit word that even though it's not wrong, I don't know why anyone would wanna use it? Surely adding one more syllable by calling the club "United" wouldn't kill you? Would adding two extra characters and typing out United or Man Utd break some people's keyboards?

It's really just a lazy term and sounds rubbish too.

EYES OF BLUE

This is getting a little out of hand,the truth is does it matter what you call your team ? does it matter what other people call us ? We have had a lot more derogatory names that Man Utd.
We have historians on here educating the masses (Good post Mockney) these things need to be said.It would also shock 90% of the people that post on here to learn that the Stretford End used to belt out "you'll never walk alone" with gusto.Now if that song is played ,or on the television my sons turn the channel over !This also demonstrates how times and patterns of life change.

Player Red

This is getting a little out of hand,the truth is does it matter what you call your team ? does it matter what other people call us ? We have had a lot more derogatory names that Man Utd.
We have historians on here educating the masses (Good post Mockney) these things need to be said.It would also shock 90% of the people that post on here to learn that the Stretford End used to belt out "you'll never walk alone" with gusto.Now if that song is played ,or on the television my sons turn the channel over !This also demonstrates how times and patterns of life change.
Google translate = old people

Vitro

Yes I can, and I just did.

Guess what as well.......... I'm 100% right.
:lol::lol::lol: See, kids, this is the exact reason you stay in school and get an education, so you don't become ignorant Ihni binni dimi diniwiny anitaime like this.

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
I'd just like to point out that it's easier for a non-english speaker to say 'Man Utd' than 'Manchester United'. United has a global appeal and more non-english speaking fans than english-speaking ones. Therefore, it's easier to say 'Man Utd'. I can't understand why those people who support the team as fervently as anyone in this forum should be considered plastic fans. It's a simple case of making things simpler. Furthermore, those people probably don't associate the term 'Man Utd' with any form of insult or pejorative use, it's just more convenient. Broaden your horizon.

DOUBLE GLAZER

Most people in Ireland refer to united as Man Utd, I had heard about the chants and all but I saw a documentary about Munich ( I think Bobby Charlton was in it) and that basically explained what you just did, but cheers for getting it out there Mockney, a few people in the Newbs have been hailed with abuse by 'superiour' fans over this particular subject.
ive been a die hard supporter all my life and ill call my team Man Utd if i want...END OF STORY!

NinjaFletch

I think Man Utd sounds cheesy and gay.

I really don't see the attraction of saying it, and especially why people are getting so offended by other people finding it cheesy and gay.

I mean if it sounded cool then fair enough use it but it doesn't and if your using it just to save yourself time how does typing Man Utd take much longer than Man Utd?

Tbh, we should avoid saying it just because it sounds stupid rather than any of the other reasons posted here, using the term doesn't make you less of a fan nor un-knowledgeable it's just not a great term.

It's mainly United/Reds and City/Blues in Manchester. Even 'Man/Manchester' is hardly used.
I dont know anyone at all who uses the term Man Utd. You just dont hear it in manchester. Its city and united in manchester

Only time i have ever really heard it was when I was at college in huddersfield. 2 lads in my class were Man Utd fans lol. How could you take someone seriously with a thick yorkshire accent saying he was a Man Utd fan lol.

Manchester United is way to beautiful name to shorten it so I prefer myself to type the full name of the club and last time I checked the name is Manchester United. Not Man utd. MU or Man Utd or Manure or any other short slang that some spastics might invent.
newton heath is better.

wonder if i would have been a red then if they would have stayed in newton heath?
probably not as united had no one with a perm as good as paul power :)

ben10

Glad someone actually went ahead and made this thread. Seeing fans abuse fellow fans for saying "Man Utd" is pretty sad really.
agree mate. I generally say united.
Whats just as bad is people on the internet calling others 'top red' as an insult. fecking pathetic

ryanhutchings

I think Man Utd sounds cheesy and gay.

I really don't see the attraction of saying it, and especially why people are getting so offended by other people finding it cheesy and gay.

I mean if it sounded cool then fair enough use it but it doesn't and if your using it just to save yourself time how does typing Man Utd take much longer than Man Utd?

Tbh, we should avoid saying it just because it sounds stupid rather than any of the other reasons posted here, using the term doesn't make you less of a fan nor un-knowledgeable it's just not a great term.
My chinese boss says tht

DoctorHver

Inside the TARDIS The Doctor: "I always like
newton heath is better.

wonder if i would have been a red then if they would have stayed in newton heath?
probably not as united had no one with a perm as good as paul power :)
Sure, as when it comes too cartoons and films for me I prefer to go with the name the film are given when originally released but when it comes to football and sports team im quite indifferent but it is nice to remember the original name as well and to be fair I like it alot. :D

Moonwalker

Pertaining to a vast knowledge of phones?
Why yes, how did you guess that? You are a sharp one! Only, phone in phonology is not the same thing your mother uses to call you 15 times a day, but rather an ancient Greek word for voice/sound.

M18CTID

Supports
Manchester City
I dont know anyone at all who uses the term Man Utd. You just dont hear it in manchester. Its city and united in manchester

Only time i have ever really heard it was when I was at college in huddersfield. 2 lads in my class were Man Utd fans lol. How could you take someone seriously with a thick yorkshire accent saying he was a Man Utd fan lol.
None of my red mates use it either, but some local plastics do. We've one in our family - my cousin - who wouldn't be able to find Old Trafford even with the aid of a Sat Nav. In fact, prior to United doing the treble in 1999 she didn't even like football. She was in the same pub as me in 1990 the night England beat Belgium in the World Cup but she had no interest in the match whatsoever, even going as far as to say that we behaved like hooligans because we dared to go ballistic when David Platt scored that winning goal in the last minute of extra time.

Fast forward 9 years or so and we're at my nan's 80th birthday bash, and all my cousin was banging on about was how "Man Utd are the best, etc, etc..." I thought to myself "Since when was that daft cow interested in football?".

That's not to say that everyone that uses the term Man Utd is a plastic. This thread proves that there are clearly ardent reds who use it too. The trouble is, it definitely seems to be the preferred term for your average plastic as well.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
It's the preferred term amongst opposition fans, which is why it's not looked upon favourably by a lot of fans. They don't want to call us United because even though we're clearly the most famous United, we aren't the only one. We call ourselves United cos it's basically saying "WE are United, no one else is"...Also with 2 teams in the city, City and United are the most obviously natural things for the fans to call them. We're the only United in Manchester, so that's enough.

But to oppos we aren't the only United, and they also don't want to big us up with that distinction, and U is easier to say than United.

Simples. There's really nothing else to it. Some negative chants have used it in the past, but some negative chants have used United too, so it's neither here nor there.

M18CTID

Supports
Manchester City
It's the preferred term amongst opposition fans, which is why it's not looked upon favourably by a lot of fans. They don't want to call us United because even though we're clearly the most famous United, we aren't the only one. We call ourselves United cos it's basically saying "WE are United, no one else is"...Also with 2 teams in the city, City and United are the most obviously natural things for the fans to call them. We're the only United in Manchester, so that's enough.

But to oppos we aren't the only United, and they also don't want to big us up with that distinction, and U is easier to say than United.

Simples. There's really nothing else to it. Some negative chants have used it in the past, but some negative chants have used United too, so it's neither here nor there.
Yeah, you're right that a lot of opposition fans use it as well.

Good OP by the way. Even as a blue, I was dubious whenever I heard so-called "top reds" beat others down with the reason for not using it. I've never come across this explanation outside the internet.

ghaliboy

Snitches on Tom Hagen
I usually just say 'United..' then deliberate Manchester United.

Or say Man United. Dunno why i've never said 'Man Utd'.. probably cos my old man who has never liked a lick of soccer in his life always rings me up saying 'Man Utd Man Utd Man Utd Man Utd' lol

FCBayern

Outside of England you are most often referred to as Man Utd. It sounds good, is short and everyone knows he you're talking about.

It's like Juve, Inter, Milan, Roma an abbreviation anyone knows and thus used. There is no insult at all with it.

Check for example the German google newssection: Man Utd - Google-Suche

Even though Man Utd is also a name in Germany (Manuela) most articles talk about United.

However I learned here on the caf, that many don't like me saying Man Utd, so I don't do it.

BTW: Some of you refering to other clubs with "united" in their name... Can't compare... If someone says United everyone knows who he's talking about - the great Manchester United.

Slevs

likes to play with penises
good post mockney, didn't know a bit of info you have there, like the badge and everything
i don't use the term Man Utd, not because of the munich issue, but cause "united" sounds better
commentators over here say Man Utd tho

busbybabe56

Man Utd just reminds me of a university nickname such as LSU or PSU i doesn't sound right saying Man Utd

I'll stick with United or Man United

Status
Not open for further replies.