USMNT | World Cup Discussion Thread

sport2793

So... Did he not take the system into account when making the subs, or did he not adjust the system to the subs? Either way, he made the decisions.
Ya I think both are true, the subs he brought on didn't suit the system and he couldn't switch the system to suit the subs. That's really the key issue with Berhalter ultimately, he has no plan B (and hardly much of a plan A).

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
As is often the case at international level - the team lacks a top class striker. They are far from alone in this, but many nations often to produce a striker to match the quality that they have behind. The game before this one was a perfect example of two sides lacking a centre forward and as a result, frankly wasting everyone’s time for the most part.

Scarecrow

Having a week off
As is often the case at international level - the team lacks a top class striker. They are far from alone in this, but many nations often to produce a striker to match the quality that they have behind. The game before this one was a perfect example of two sides lacking a centre forward and as a result, frankly wasting everyone’s time for the most part.
:lol: That’s what I was thinking..

Pintu

Nowadays football sees many teams do just fine without that top class striker. The US has some decent midfielders capable of scoring goals. Pulisic is very talented, albeit inconsistent and Mckennie for example has a good header in him, I was surprised to see him stay behind and not attack the ball for the crosses.

talking robot

Devil's advocate but thought that Berhalter's system wasn't the issue today, our press was organized, effective and players were always positioned in dangerous areas to receive a pass, the issue were the substitutions.
System was good, but Sargent offered nothing in the entire game.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
It's bizarre with the enhanced development, MLS academies, and how the game has come along over the last 2-3 decades and yet the NT cannot produce a good forward in the McBride, or Wynalda, or Mathis, or Moore* quality? There's not even a "prime" Altidore level at the moment.

*Moore was really a 10 but could play the 9 role in a pinch.

talking robot

It was Sargent's hold up play that put Pulisic through. Doesn't happen without that. Also was effective at leading the press.
Calling that "hold up play" is a stretch. He missed controlled the ball and it fell into Pulisic's path. Didn't think he was particularly dynamic in the press either, though I agree the front three worked well as a unit with the press. I'd still rather see Reyna as a false 9 there as I think he's a better all 'round player and would offer more to the team.

talking robot

It's bizarre with the enhanced development, MLS academies, and how the game has come along over the last 2-3 decades and yet the NT cannot produce a good forward in the McBride, or Wynalda, or Mathis, or Moore* quality? There's not even a "prime" Altidore level at the moment.

*Moore was really a 10 but could play the 9 role in a pinch.
Hopefully one will emerge in the next 4 years. We need two CB's as well.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
How did these lot draw with Wales!? They were very good... Particularly impressed with how they played it out from the back at times

edcunited1878

The strength of the team, midfield, showed up again today. Then the agility and quickness of the forward line did well.

Very disciplined and focused as a group today.

Now comes the toughest part for this team. Having to score goals and keep their shape and composure while trying.

Herculean

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
:lol:

We probably would have won the game if we were more clinical. No fecking idea how McKennie did a Sterling in front of goal
Agreed! I’m just extremely happy that the US decided to show up for the occasion.

BerryBerryShrew

So basically if the US win against Iran, they qualify. If they lose or draw they are out. I wonder if they would have taken that before the tournament started.

I do like their midfield though. A lot of all rounders with cardio for days. If they start Aaronsen alongside Adams and McKennie then they potentially would be a gegenpressing machine!

spottieottiedopaliscious

Makes the draw against Wales more frustrating. We played well tonight and thought the overall game plan was effective, but just couldn’t make the best of our chances. If you would have said we got a draw against England before the World Cup started I would have been happy with that but I hate leaving it to the final game. Iran will be difficult hope we are up for the test.

Valencia Shin Crosses

How did these lot draw with Wales!? They were very good... Particularly impressed with how they played it out from the back at times
Weird second half where they lost all composure and then gave away a stupid pen.

But yeah it’s encouraging to see the US play proper football from the back now. Still no cutting edge and brutally lacking quality at striker but encouraging signs (provided they take care of business against Iran)

MarylandMUFan

So basically if the US win against Iran, they qualify. If they lose or draw they are out. I wonder if they would have taken that before the tournament started.

I do like their midfield though. A lot of all rounders with cardio for days. If they start Aaronsen alongside Adams and McKennie then they potentially would be a gegenpressing machine!
I certainly would have taken it.

Herculean

If someone had offered the USSF (before the tournament started) qualification to the knockout stages with a win versus Iran, everyone from Berhalter to Lalas to Donovan and Dempsey (and WI_Red) would’ve bitten their hand off!!!

Bertie Wooster

Very impressive performance from the US tonight. The lack of a top striker / major goal threat meant it never really felt a goal was coming, but a very good all round team display that fully deserved at least a point.

That's 3 out of 4 very impressive halves so far. With just the 2nd half v Wales the only disappointment.

Going into the group, getting to the final game knowing a win v Iran would guarantee qualification was as good a position as was likely. So really hope you can do it. But it won't be easy, as Iran's performance today v Wales is a much fairer reflection of their quite solid ability than their capitulation v England.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
If someone had offered the USSF (before the tournament started) qualification to the knockout stages with a win versus Iran, everyone from Berhalter to Lalas to Donovan and Dempsey (and WI_Red) would’ve bitten their hand off!!!
I can't get over how much Lalas irritates me

BerryBerryShrew

I certainly would have taken it.
Good stuff- should have beaten Wales but I'd fancy you to get it done against Iran anyway!

Herculean

I can't get over how much Lalas irritates me
All of America is with you! He adds nothing of value to the WC discussion and hasn’t been relevant since ‘94. He’s the American equivalent to Gary Stevens

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Where are you @WI_Red ???
I had no idea this thread was here, oops.

As I said in the WC thread, hands up in a mea culpa for GB. He nailed his tactics today. We looked shaky in the first 15 while the Weston/Weah right side worked itself out, but after that we looked good. The Aaronson sub was perfect and my only quibbles would be Shaq over Scally (I get it though, he wanted Shaq’s pace to help cope with Shaw/Grelish) and Reyna was a few minutes late. 8/10 for GB.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Oh yeah, would have bitten it straight off.

Herculean

I had no idea this thread was here, oops.

As I said in the WC thread, hands up in a mea culpa for GB. He nailed his tactics today. We looked shaky in the first 15 while the Weston/Weah right side worked itself out, but after that we looked good. The Aaronson sub was perfect and my only quibbles would be Shaq over Scally (I get it though, he wanted Shaq’s pace to help cope with Shaw/Grelish) and Reyna was a few minutes late. 8/10 for GB.
Full credit to you. I’m actually happy that American fans are expecting/demanding good results in these tournaments! Let’s not let us feck it up in the last group match.
2nd round or bust. Failure would be a step backwards.
I appreciate your banter and rants, btw

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Full credit to you. I’m actually happy that American fans are expecting/demanding good results in these tournaments! Let’s not let us feck it up in the last group match.
2nd round or bust. Failure would be a step backwards.
I appreciate your banter and rants, btw
Glad someone does, my wife sure doesn’t :D
Anyways, glad for a place to discuss the team. No one here or overseas takes the US seriously, so glad for a safe space!

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
They were pretty solid tonight but they’ve created about 2 good chances the whole tournament. Really lack flair and imagination. Would not surprise me if they fail to beat Iran and head out.

Red-17

Musah looked a good player. Be interesting to follow him
Honestly don’t know how he isn’t rated higher. Consistently performs in central midfield for the US. You could argue he is our most talented overall player.

Bertie Wooster

They were pretty solid tonight but they’ve created about 2 good chances the whole tournament. Really lack flair and imagination. Would not surprise me if they fail to beat Iran and head out.
That's my worry for that match.

Obviously, it's a great position to be in - having it in your own hands and 'only' having to beat Iran to qualify. But looking at Iran's results, they're generally low scoring games and they often don't concede more than 1.

I can certainly see them being very difficult to break down and the US struggling to create too many great chances. The first goal - if there is one in what I'm expecting to be a low scoring game - will be huge. If USA can get it, it really changes Iran's game plan and will put pressure on them to open up a bit more at some point. If Iran get into the lead, it'll be a brick wall of a defence that the US would need to get at least 2 goals against.

That would be a tough ask. But if the US can play like they have for 3 of the 4 halves so far this world cup, then hopefully that should be enough to sneak a win in the final game.

Last edited:

sport2793

Wales are at their first world cup in 60 odd years, they were always going to give it their all in the first game.
I definitely can see why the English view the Welsh with so much derision, they celebrated the Bale pen as if they won the world cup. Really small time folk, although I appreciate their underdog spirit as an American.

sport2793

Feck Donovan, will never forgive him for the stupid ad stunt he pulled with Mexico and the stuff he said about the women's team beating the men's. Should have just stuck to sitting at the beach, is the only thing he can motivate himself to do.

sport2793

Very impressive performance from the US tonight. The lack of a top striker / major goal threat meant it never really felt a goal was coming, but a very good all round team display that fully deserved at least a point.

That's 3 out of 4 very impressive halves so far. With just the 2nd half v Wales the only disappointment.

Going into the group, getting to the final game knowing a win v Iran would guarantee qualification was as good a position as was likely. So really hope you can do it. But it won't be easy, as Iran's performance today v Wales is a much fairer reflection of their quite solid ability than their capitulation v England.
Ya I agree the Iran match will be difficult. Hope the team has it in them.