USMNT | World Cup Discussion Thread

MarylandMUFan

They were pretty solid tonight but they’ve created about 2 good chances the whole tournament. Really lack flair and imagination. Would not surprise me if they fail to beat Iran and head out.
2 good chances the whole tournament? What the heck are you watching. We had 3 or four good chances in the first half alone against Wales. We had more flair against England than I have ever seen us have in the WC. Your take is bizarre. We are not Brazil but shit, we are better than we have been and certainly showed more than England today.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Was quite impressed with them today, thought they even deserved to win. Just need to find some players that can put the ball in the back of the net.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
2 good chances the whole tournament? What the heck are you watching. We had 3 or four good chances in the first half alone against Wales. We had more flair against England than I have ever seen us have in the WC. Your take is bizarre. We are not Brazil but shit, we are better than we have been and certainly showed more than England today.
They had one shot on goal the entire game against Wales. How is that a bizarre take? They have offered barely anything going forward.

Todd

We played better than I thought we would today. I didn't expect us to get anything out of this match. That being said, the draw against Wales will be our damnation in the end.

Iran will park the bus needing only a draw to go through and that'll be that for the US.

Cantonagotmehere

Well put. They don't like the comeuppance....

Pintu

They had one shot on goal the entire game against Wales. How is that a bizarre take? They have offered barely anything going forward.
One shot on goal doesn't tell the story. They had many dangerous situations where they could have taken better shots... Everyone who saw that first half against Wales knows they should have won it there.

We've seen the US get good results before. The Donovan-Dempsey-Altidore team gave Kaka's Brazil a tough game in a Confederation Cup's final (ended 3-2 for Brazil). But they had to fluke their way past Spain to get to that final (defense, luck and great finishing). But I've never seen them -in a Fifa competition- press and dominate an adversary the way they did against Wales in that first half. It's really promising and should be exciting for their fans.

Valencia Shin Crosses

One shot on goal doesn't tell the story. They had many dangerous situations where they could have taken better shots... Everyone who saw that first half against Wales knows they should have won it there.

We've seen the US get good results before. The Donovan-Dempsey-Altidore team gave Kaka's Brazil a tough game in a Confederation Cup's final (ended 3-2 for Brazil). But they had to fluke their way past Spain to get to that final (defense, luck and great finishing). But I've never seen them -in a Fifa competition- press and dominate an adversary the way they did against Wales in that first half. It's really promising and should be exciting for their fans.
Certainly promising, but I’m not sure the next step ever comes with the lack of striking talent available. You’re just always going to be limited as a team when whoever you play up top is a total 0 contribution wise

holdsteady

Hates Sir Alex Ferguson
Haji Wright :lol:
Berhalter is such a joke. Thank God he went up against Southgate.

While US played pretty well the subs were far too late. If Southgate had any courage he would have had Rashford and Foden on in the 60th and torn us apart on the counter.

forevrared

Haji Wright is the new age Brian Ching or Connor Casey. Offered next to nothing. We can’t score and out two most in-form strikers are sat at home.

sport2793

Haji Wright is the new age Brian Ching or Connor Casey. Offered next to nothing. We can’t score and out two most in-form strikers are sat at home.
Actually Haji is in form for club which is why he was picked, not that it has showed here of course.

bosskeano

Anyone that has watched these two games and feel the need to criticize honestly have no fking clue what they are talking about.....

our second half against wales wasn't great but it's never easy playing against a team that is super direct and yuo're constantly building from the back

we were excellent against England

Top class midfield. Musah is one of the best talents in Europe, McKennie plays for Juve and Adams will move to a top 6 club soon. Leeds fans love him already.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner

Fair play.

bosskeano

Top class midfield. Musah is one of the best talents in Europe, McKennie plays for Juve and Adams will move to a top 6 club soon. Leeds fans love him already.
I expect all three of them to be playing in the premier league next season and I'd love to see Adams at United to play alongside Casemiro...he'd be brilliant next to him and would learn so much

Have a former youth player of mine now living and playing in Leeds Academy....he says Leeds have taken really well to the american players and coach

bosskeano

if people are rating Jude and Rice at over 100m each then what the hell would you pay for the American trio that dominated that midfield yesterday???

yes, i know it's an over reaction for one match and isn't a true reflection HOWEVER it just goes to prove a point at how stupid those evaluations are and cost

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
Rice is an upgraded John O'Shea, Central Midfielder. (JOS, CM sounds like an 80s drama sitcom)

Adams is what I'd want in that sort of role - all-action, endless energy, pace, will push forward. He's also played at RB if memory serves so probably versatile for a squad like United.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
If you told me that there were two 19 year old talents on the pitch last night and one was being touted for 100m and the other we barely hear about, it couldn’t be Bellingham that I’d rate as the 100m talent. Musah was fantastic.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
I expect all three of them to be playing in the premier league next season and I'd love to see Adams at United to play alongside Casemiro...he'd be brilliant next to him and would learn so much

Have a former youth player of mine now living and playing in Leeds Academy....he says Leeds have taken really well to the american players and coach
I think Musah’s next stop might be Italy. He speaks the language and it would help him continue evolving his technical side. Amazingly, at 19(!!), he already seems up for the physical side of the Premier League but his passsing and decision making could use refinement.

I do wonder if Musah’s success will help convince his buddy Balogun to join up with the US. Lord knows the forward spot is wide open!

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
So if this is true it lines up with what I thought after the Wales game. I am sure (hope??) they will work it out. Wynalda does know a thing or two about WC locker room chaos though.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Wynalda is a bitter cnut and was a shit teammate
Yeah, no doubt on Wynalda, he always comes across as an insufferable asshole. That said, the Harkes situation was not ideal for him or the team in 98 and was not Wynalda's fault.

I have a feeling the truth of the Reyna situation is somewhere in the middle between Wynalda's Shakespearean drama and Berhalter's story.

bosskeano

Yeah, no doubt on Wynalda, he always comes across as an insufferable asshole. That said, the Harkes situation was not ideal for him or the team in 98 and was not Wynalda's fault.

I have a feeling the truth of the Reyna situation is somewhere in the middle between Wynalda's Shakespearean drama and Berhalter's story.
i think we'll get a real good understanding of this situation against Iran when you know you have to win the match

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Speaking of, how should GB lineup the tactics needing a win?

We know CQ is going to probably put nine behind the ball.
Back 5 picks itself. My guess is he starts one of Aaronson or Reyna in the midfield as a true #10 and drops on of the M's. CP and Weah will start and I think it's Sargent at the #9.

sport2793

Back 5 picks itself. My guess is he starts one of Aaronson or Reyna in the midfield as a true #10 and drops on of the M's. CP and Weah will start and I think it's Sargent at the #9.
I don't see him dropping either McKennie or Musah but I guess you never know. He's always been more inclined to put Reyna on the wings too.

Swordsman

Rice is an upgraded John O'Shea, Central Midfielder. (JOS, CM sounds like an 80s drama sitcom)

Adams is what I'd want in that sort of role - all-action, endless energy, pace, will push forward. He's also played at RB if memory serves so probably versatile for a squad like United.
And i dont rate john oshea that highly..

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Alright boys and girls, how we feeling? I'm nervous as feck. We can do this, right?

bosskeano

Zimmerman dropped....bold move for such an important match plus reinstating Sargent at the 9

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
Alright boys and girls, how we feeling? I'm nervous as feck. We can do this, right?
Aaronson gets shafted. I want them to go through, but after all the disappointments in the past against teams they should beat.....I am just hoping without a lot of confidence.

bosskeano

have to really watch 20 and 9 on the counter....don't need to try and win the match necessarily in the first half by pushing too many guys forward

bosskeano

An early Wales goal could turn this in chaos
oh for sure....the welsh national anthem is interesting

both games have a bit of a compelling nature to them and how they impact the other match

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
I really don't understand Zimmerman getting benched. Unless someone is better than him, he should play. Every player out there makes a mistake.

bosskeano

I really don't understand Zimmerman getting benched. Unless someone is better than him, he should play. Every player out there makes a mistake.
it's a massive call on his part to remove a guy that has played all qualification

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
I agree with the point @bosskeano made in the other thread. This sort of makes sense in that CCV is the superior passer and I assume that GB expects Iran to bunker and lessen the need for a pure defender.

bosskeano

I agree with the point @bosskeano made in the other thread. This sort of makes sense in that CCV is the superior passer and I assume that GB expects Iran to bunker and lessen the need for a pure defender.
i think CCV has a bit more pace as well than Zimmerman which will be important but he's clearly better on the ball as well