Van der Vaart on Maguire "He's really sh*t"

MoskvaRed

Maguire has been playing awfully but is a good defender when on form and in the right system. He was a big contributor to England reaching their first final for 50 odd years. Van de Vaart spent his peak years at Spurs.

Judas

Open to offers
I genuinely couldn't give less of a shit what this bloke thinks. Why is anyone bothered :lol:

Maguire has been appalling this season, I don't need VDV being laughably over the top like a member of RAWK to tell me that.

JB7

Being realistic about the relative strength of the England team is anti-English now?
As a general rule the forums attitude towards the England team is pretty anti-English yeah, the thread laughing at them losing to Italy summed that up.

Equally suggesting a team that got to a semi-final of the last World Cup and final of the last Euros isn't one of the top teams around is pretty ridiculous, yes.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
He’s not shit, just not United level. Leicester was a good fit for him.
He's being judged on his life after Leicester though, nobody would be hammering him at a smaller club. He's a professional footballer, who plays for England so obviously, he's not shit, so why are we all suddenly taking it literally. He is 'relatively shit' doesn't have the impact a twat on TV needs.

CloneMC16

This is funny, but I can't help but notice the massive chunk of his hair missing. Like he gave a child a razor and let them shave part of it off :lol:

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
This is funny, but I can't help but notice the massive chunk of his hair missing. Like he gave a child a razor and let them shave part of it off :lol:
Looks like the frontal part of his hair has been added separately. By a monkey with poor eyesight.

Mick1

A bit classless, even Keano wouldn't just call someone shit. He'd find a better way to say it and then call you shit in private to your face.
"Oy'd be swinging ponches"
Pardon the accent. Exact quotes.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
He's not shit though is he?

It's just shit punditry for clicks.
Only absolute halfwits genuinely think so.
The type that can't understand there's a huge gap between the best and the worst and someone isn't always either one or the other.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
Only absolute halfwits genuinely think so.
The type that can't understand there's a huge gap between the best and the worst and someone isn't always either one or the other.
And some can't understand that the use of shit is relative to who he plays for and the fee, the wages, and his predecessors. Yeah, it's sensational and lazy but so is your analysis.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
He's not sh1t he's just a bit slow and having a bad patch. He's not Rio Ferdinand level but who is apart from Van Dyke?

Abraxas

What's the great importance of what Van Der Vaart thinks? A non entity at this point.

We need to focus on rebuilding his confidence and getting him playing. He's paying too much attention to irrelevant opinion it seems.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
And some can't understand that the use of shit is relative to who he plays for and the fee, the wages, and his predecessors. Yeah, it's sensational and lazy but so is your analysis.
Well sht compared to world record defender level is obviously true. But most aren't using that as their context I'm sure.

RUCK4444

Pundit gives unvarnished opinion on a player as part of his job. “Must have some weird obsession with Maguire”:houllier:
Well it’s like the 2nd or 3rd time he’s been over the top negative towards him, to a point where it’s worthy of making a thread about it, so yeah.

Plus his ‘unvarnished opinion’ on Maguire is about as useful as a p*sshead down the pub. Hardly insightful is it.

432JuanMata

Said the guy who never amounted to anything in football, flopped at Real and played his peak at Tottenham.
Still though he isn’t far wrong. Maguire is obviously a good CB but for the level we want to be at and his price(that is our fault not his) he really is poor

The Siege

This would be funny as one of those AFTV-esque interviews, but for a paid pundit to do this is unprofessional nonsense. Also, big words for a mid-table player who won nothing of worth outside the dutch league.

YouknowNani

Van der Vaart is only 2 years older than Cristiano Ronaldo.

That is the only thing I can think of after watching this video.
And? He looks about 2 years older. Just gained a bit of weight.

P.S. he's right on Maguire.

432JuanMata

And? He looks about 2 years older. Just gained a bit of weight.

P.S. he's right on Maguire.
I don’t get what he means. Ronaldo is a phenomenon that works harder and eats better than any other player. Just because Ronaldo is at such a high level at 36 doesn’t make it the norm.
Most pro players are done at 36

VanDeBank

Ma’am
I think Maguire goes home every day and tells his wife: "I'm so shit, yet I earn so much money. They actually believe me."
This would be funny as one of those AFTV-esque interviews, but for a paid pundit to do this is unprofessional nonsense. Also, big words for a mid-table player who won nothing of worth outside the dutch league.
It's a cultural difference. In Holland it's an every day occurrence for pundits to call players shite. They don't care about nationality or status and the audience appreciates honesty (what you're describing as unprofessional. Eye of the beholder and all that)

YouknowNani

2 years ago
Van Der Vaart: "Harry Maguire was by far the worst player on the pitch".

Redknapp: "He can play" "For a big guy he's quick".....who exactly had Redknapp he been watching?

I'm glad Maguire is finally being found out. I feel like I've tried not to have an agenda against him but he's useless. Worst signing in this clubs history given the price and I want him out of the club.

432JuanMata

It's a cultural difference. In Holland it's an every day occurrence for pundits to call players shite. They don't care about nationality or status and the audience appreciates honesty (what you're describing as "unprofessional")
This is 100% true. My cousins live in Amsterdam and I go over quite a bit and what I noticed is they don’t defend players just because their Dutch like say English pundits do for English players. It’s not a shot at English pundits as most countries do the same but I found it refreshing

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
VdV is a cnut from what I have read about him but he isn't wrong. He's just said about Maguire what the majority of the people in here say about 100000000 times in every match day thread :lol:

Maguire is ok. Overpriced, but ok…

Particularly in the Premier league against teams like Burnley…

Just like Rice would have been for £80m +. Hopefully with a new manager, we can use the scouting network and we can buy some more reasonably priced players. Look at some of Conte’s signings at Chelsea, a mixture including some reasonably priced ‘obscure’ players who turned out to be good such as Rudiger.

Last edited:

432JuanMata

VdV is a cnut from what I have read about him but he isn't wrong. He's just said what the majority of the people say about 100000000 times in every match day thread :lol:
Last season Maguire was good but the season before the English media all said he needs someone beside him yet on whoscore Lindelof had the better season.
If you are 80m CB you shouldn’t need better CB beside you, you should make them look better or at least stand out as much better yet Maguire doesn’t

Someone

Something
He's right. Maguire isn't an elite defender. At his best he's solid, but his overall game is rubbish and he's also thick.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Said the guy who never amounted to anything in football, flopped at Real and played his peak at Tottenham.
Is the bar in the stratosphere if "never amounted to anything" = played for Real Madrid and Tottenham? :lol:

On that note, he's a bit of a bellend

GlasgowCeltic

if i had a biscuit every time Maguire said "nowhere near good enough" Id look like van der Vaart

Pearl.Jam

I guess Dutch TV is slightly more relaxed in its punditry compared to our more austere commentary here in the UK, it’s to our detriment if you ask me but I guess they’re scared of someone going full Big Ron again:nono: