Van der Vaart on Maguire "He's really sh*t"

MrBest

Well he ain't wrong, especially with what he has produced at United. Not sure why people are offended, i hope he no longer has a place in this team, or as a minimum, gets a month or so on the bench to recover, he may be tired from being over played by Ole.

Knux

Supports
AIK Stockholm
Maguire looks good in a team like Burnley, Aston villa or Leicester. But Will never be a great defender in a progressive CL winning team.

Is he a shit defender? No. But he he’s obviously not world class and thats what we paid for..

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Last season Maguire was good but the season before the English media all said he needs someone beside him yet on whoscore Lindelof had the better season.
If you are 80m CB you shouldn’t need better CB beside you, you should make them look better or at least stand out as much better yet Maguire doesn’t
Yep. That price means you need to be the one man defense and doesn't matter about your partner, you need to be the A side alongside anyone. I'm thinking Ramos, VVD, Dias etc.

432JuanMata

Yep. That price means you need to be the one man defense and doesn't matter about your partner, you need to be the A side alongside anyone. I'm thinking Ramos, VVD, Dias etc.
We obviously overpaid which is on the club but Maguire still is so underwhelming. VVD came into Liverpool and made others better around him. Put anyone beside Ramos and they improve but instead Maguire doesn’t even look better than his partner most of the time

Kostov

Is the bar in the stratosphere if "never amounted to anything" = played for Real Madrid and Tottenham? :lol:

On that note, he's a bit of a bellend
My point was, he himself is the epitome of underachiever and flop, and has the cheek to blubber about others.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
We obviously overpaid which is on the club but Maguire still is so underwhelming. VVD came into Liverpool and made others better around him. Put anyone beside Ramos and they improve but instead Maguire doesn’t even look better than his partner most of the time
Yeah and Dias made Stones look like a footballer again :lol:

Maguire on the other hand only makes the opposition attackers look good.

Lentwood

I remember when we had a bit of a siege mentality at United. The public and the media would line up to knock our players and we'd defend them to the hilt - see Beckham post Argentina or Ronaldo post-wink as examples. I remember how it was only later in his career that Rio Ferdinand actually got any credit from the general football population. Right up until his 3rd/4th year at United he was still widely regarded as a luxury player, unreliable and error-prone outside OT

Now our fans do most of their work for these trolls. Some no-mark who achieved nothing as a footballer constantly takes shots at our captain because it puts his name in the paper for 5 minutes and this forum loves it and laps it up.

I am all for insightful criticism of our players performances but there are some clear agendas with Maguire, and some of the criticism he gets is way, way over the top. I just can't understand it personally, especially in a year whereby I don't think a single player has been anywhere near their best.

I'll take van der Vaart seriously when he can offer some insight beyond 'he's s**t'. Until then, think I'll stick with the opinions of actual football managers like Jose Mourinho and Pep Guardiola, who both openly tried to sign him

I'll just leave this here...

"Pep Guardiola admitted Manchester City could not afford Harry Maguire, and congratulated Manchester United on securing the defender.

City had also been interested in the England man, but Guardiola, speaking after City's Community Shield win over Liverpool on Sunday, said the club could not afford it.

Asked if Maguire would turn United into title challengers, Guardiola said: "Yeah. Maguire is an excellent, top-class player.

"We were interested, but we could not afford it. United afford it. He's an excellent player, national team too, he had an incredible World Cup.

"He's strong in the air, good with the ball, the build-up, he drives with the ball, he's fast, so fast. He has all the qualities. Congratulations to United for this signature."

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts
I remember when we had a bit of a siege mentality at United. The public and the media would line up to knock our players and we'd defend them to the hilt - see Beckham post Argentina or Ronaldo post-wink as examples. I remember how it was only later in his career that Rio Ferdinand actually got any credit from the general football population. Right up until his 3rd/4th year at United he was still widely regarded as a luxury player, unreliable and error-prone outside OT

Now our fans do most of their work for these trolls. Some no-mark who achieved nothing as a footballer constantly takes shots at our captain because it puts his name in the paper for 5 minutes and this forum loves it and laps it up.

I am all for insightful criticism of our players performances but there are some clear agendas with Maguire, and some of the criticism he gets is way, way over the top. I just can't understand it personally, especially in a year whereby I don't think a single player has been anywhere near their best.

I'll take van der Vaart seriously when he can offer some insight beyond 'he's s**t'. Until then, think I'll stick with the opinions of actual football managers like Jose Mourinho and Pep Guardiola, who both openly tried to sign him

"Pep Guardiola admitted Manchester City could not afford Harry Maguire, and congratulated Manchester United on securing the defender.

City had also been interested in the England man, but Guardiola, speaking after City's Community Shield win over Liverpool on Sunday, said the club could not afford it.

Asked if Maguire would turn United into title challengers, Guardiola said: "Yeah. Maguire is an excellent, top-class player.

"We were interested, but we could not afford it. United afford it. He's an excellent player, national team too, he had an incredible World Cup.

"He's strong in the air, good with the ball, the build-up, he drives with the ball, he's fast, so fast. He has all the qualities. Congratulations to United for this signature."
What clear agendas. Are you joking?
This has been the Maguire defense since he has joined
2019-20 He needs a better partner, Lindeloff is shit, De Gea is shit,...
2020-21 The incident in Greece has shaken him
2021-22 He's injured, im telling you he's injured

Every fricking opponent manager knows he's our weakest link. Just put pressure on him when he's on the ball and sooner or later he'll make a mistake.
He's been here for almost 3 years now and I have yet to see a performance from him where i'd say he might be one of the best cb's.

432JuanMata

Yeah and Dias made Stones look like a footballer again :lol:

Maguire on the other hand only makes the opposition attackers look good.
It’s not even the price tag for me as we all know he’s not worth 80m it’s the fact he’s been our worst defender in a season where we have conceded the 3rd most in the league while out GK is performing well.

432JuanMata

Every fricking opponent manager knows he's our weakest link. Just put pressure on him when he's on the ball and sooner or later he'll make a mistake.
100%, he is defended more than critized by the media. For example they did the same with Martial compared to Rashford even Neville saying well one cost 60m and look at Pogba because he cost 89m.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Rich coming from an average Spurs player.

432JuanMata

Maguire is obviously not shit. He's in very poor form, but that's not the point. Of course we overpaid, but that doesn't make him shit.
I think it really depends on how you look at it. As a player he obviously isn’t but for a team that wants to challenge and be elite then he is closer to shit than good

RedChisel

If Maguire played for any other team he wouldn't get anywhere near the same stick that he gets. It's open season on United as ever and every has been prick has to get the boot in. Just sad when so called United fans pile on aswell.

Rolaholic

100%, he is defended more than critized by the media. For example they did the same with Martial compared to Rashford even Neville saying well one cost 60m and look at Pogba because he cost 89m.
Yea he's been one of the most protected players we have until recently. He's been afforded a long leash by many fans and pundits, through on and off the pitch troubles, that isn't offered to most of our other players who've been scapegoated and targeted for years so it's rich when some make him out to be a poor victim who's being unfairly singled out as if his much cheaper CB partners (Lindelof, Bailly, Jones) haven't gleefully been the butt of jokes on here by the same lot for years

JB7

Maguire is obviously not shit. He's in very poor form, but that's not the point. Of course we overpaid, but that doesn't make him shit.
Applying reasonable logic like that won't get you far here.

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts
If Maguire played for any other team he wouldn't get anywhere near the same stick that he gets. It's open season on United as ever and every has been prick has to get the boot in. Just sad when so called United fans pile on aswell.
What stick? None of the pundits even dared to criticize him. Absolutely NONE apart from Keane. Just check the video from The Analysis show where the former england women's player needs to be force fed to actually say he made a mistake.
It's embarasing. If he wasn't English there'd be hell

Euro Hangover :lol:
She's literally defending him

Last edited:

VanDeBank

Ma’am

Can we stop pretending like Pep is some sort of master scout? He paid 50m for Nathan fecking Ake.
LVG was one of the top coaches around when we got him and we mostly signed shite.

No one is saying he's a championship player. Maguire is roughly on the same level as Lindelof and Bailly. We overpaid by 50m. That's not OTT.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Everything else notwithstanding, this is a very odd thing to highlight when praising Maguire.

I mean, even if one thinks that his lack of speed tends to be exaggerated...this is just plain bizarre.

(I agree with your general take on our fans' tendency to revel in pundits shitting on our players, though).

The Bloody-Nine

No, he wasn't. What is this nonsense?

Not a plastic hoe.

He's been here for almost 3 years now and I have yet to see a performance from him where i'd say he might be one of the best cb's.
Thank you. I'm so done with the constant victimization of this player despite him being awful for so many games especially this season and also his whole meek attitude on the pitch (no leadership whatsoever often drags the team down) and his whole attitude about valid criticism of his performances as of late (man really celebrated against Albania like that).
I'm starting to think that all of the people defending him are just doing that because they feel bad about how much the club payed and not because they actually rate him or think that he is really good unless..:confused:

AFC NimbleThumb

As has been pointed out elsewhere, this lad gets more rope than most. If he played for Arsenal our fanbase would be taking the piss as other are with us.

This isn’t a one season problem, what doesn’t help is when ‘so called United fans’ ignore flaws in their favourites. He’s been a terrible signing, van der Vaart is out of order but criticism of our over priced, oaf of a captain is fair.

Nickthepip

Are other forums like this one in that the club captain can be disrespected like this and the fanbase doesn’t show solidarity? He’s not playing well, probably carrying a knock or two but he’s shown he’s a decent player. The fact he’s struggled recently says more about our squad depth than his quality.

As for the price, that’s not on him. We paid big as he had years left on the contract was entering his prime and Leicester had no need to sell.

I didn’t think his goal celebration during the international break was a good idea, his form hasn’t been great but he deserves more respect from his own supposed supporters.

RC89

People actually saying Maguire isn't shit? He's clearly shit, at his best he's okay, at his worst he's shocking, overall, he's shit. Had he not been English and £80m people would be happy to get rid for £20m I.e. shit.

432JuanMata

Fans have the right to being critical. This season he has been nothing short of terrible and just because we support the club doesn’t mean we can’t criticise
Are other forums like this one in that the club captain can be disrespected like this and the fanbase doesn’t show solidarity? He’s not playing well, probably carrying a knock or two but he’s shown he’s a decent player. The fact he’s struggled recently says more about our squad depth than his quality.

As for the price, that’s not on him. We paid big as he had years left on the contract was entering his prime and Leicester had no need to sell.

I didn’t think his goal celebration during the international break was a good idea, his form hasn’t been great but he deserves more respect from his own supposed supporters.
What club captain at a big club performs the way he has this season ? The only other example I can think of was Xhaka at Arsenal and he was murdered by the fans. I’m all for defending our players but this criticism is justified

RC89

He is shit. He's been in 'poor form' from when he arrived til about December last season. Then, again all of this season. In 2.5 seasons he's been decent for half a season. Pretty shit by any standard.

432JuanMata

He is shit. He's been in 'poor form' from when he arrived til about December last season. Then, again all of this season. In 2.5 seasons he's been decent for half a season. Pretty shit by any standard.
Exactly, obviously he is not shit as he is a PL player and England international but for this level he has been shit for us

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
And? He looks about 2 years older. Just gained a bit of weight.

P.S. he's right on Maguire.
Are you joking? He looks about 50 in that video! Scruffy, haggard and unfit. An ex-pro shouldn’t be looking like that at only 38 years old.

And what he said about Maguire is just unprofessional. Analysis is not calling a player “shit”.

He has played well in massive games for both club and country in the past despite his obvious flaws.

“Shit” is not analysis.

432JuanMata

Are you joking? He looks about 50 in that video! Scruffy, haggard and unfit. An ex-pro shouldn’t be looking like that at only 38 years old.

And what he said about Maguire is just unprofessional. Analysis is not calling a player “shit”.

He has played well in massive games for both club and country in the past despite his obvious flaws.

“Shit” is not analysis.
Even as a person that agrees with him I also feel shit isn’t a good example and is disrespectful on tv. He should of said poor or not good enough