Van Gaal new Utd Manager Poll. How happy are you about this appointment?

Now Van Gaal has officially joined Utd what answer best reflects your feelings on this appointment?

• He was always my first choice. I'm overjoyed at this news!

Votes: 32 9.6%
  • The best manager for the club from the managers that were available. Great news.

Votes: 251 75.4%
  • A good manager but I have some small concerns about him - lets see how he gets on.

Votes: 40 12.0%
  • I have serious reservations about Van Gaal but still, some confidence in his ability.

Votes: 7 2.1%
  • A poor choice of manager. I am deeply worried and concerned for the clubs future.

Votes: 3 0.9%

• Total voters

vibe

Second option describes how I feel about this really well. Definitely the best option that was available to us.

Probably my third, or fourth choice overall. Klopp and Simeone definitely take up the first two, due to the fact that they're successful, young and they'll only keep getting better. Undecided between whether Ancelotti would have been a good pick. But out of the options we realistically had, van Gaal is definitely the best one.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
I don't think anyone really disagrees with the idea that LVG was the best option currently available to us.

The question is more over how good that best option really was. You could look at LVG's track record and see good reasons to be either very optimistic or very worried.

I think we're right to be optimistic but we shouldn't pretend LVG is Mr. Perfect either as we could end up getting a nasty surprise.

CantonaGiggs1

It looks like David Moyes is a member of the CAF.

A poor choice of manager. I am deeply worried and concerned for the clubs future.
1 vote(s)
0.4%

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
He's right at the top for me, in the top three. I love the type of football he plays, it's probably closest to my personal ideal among top level coaches. So I'm very excited about next season.

Sied

I..erm..love U2, baby?
Clearly the best choice available, but I also have a few small concerns. I would have with any other manager too though.

In LVGs case I'm a little worried by his explosive personality, although this is a bit of a double edged sword, as it'll be a pleasant change to see a little more energy on the touchline and in interviews. The fact he's had a slow start with some of his previous teams is my other concern. Even if it doesn't work out I'm sure we'll have a lot more fun along the way than we did under Moyes.

celia

I am really glad, he's probably the best choice. I'm a bit concerned about the players that won't be in his plans. But overall, I'm really hopeful.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
I'm not particularly worried about LVG falling out with players, that's just the way he is. I'd certainly prefer that over someone who is too timid to deal with a player in a way that's needed.

If there are any concerns over the influence of SAF or Giggs at the club then LVG's reign should bring them to a head though. Heard Marcotti on the radio earlier saying that we'll have to adapt to LVG more than he'll adapt to us and I think there is a lot of truth in that. If any conflict emerges between "the United way" and LVG's way then LVG is always gonna back himself.

Gonna be fun either way.

Loublaze

ATLien
Tbf a more detailed one like this is probably more interesting. The homepage one will just be overwhelmingly 'yes', and no-one will learn anything from it.

Voted second option down. Klopp was my first choice, but completely unavailable. LVG seems like the best of the rest.
The only thing he doesn't have on Klopp is age

NoPace

The expected conclusion of the LVG era, looking at his time elsewhere would be:

Year 1 - a slow start, strong finish, qualify for CL, good domestic cup perfomances

Year 2 - Competing for the title/Win the title, lose in CL semis or quarters,

Year 3 - (Year 4 implosion could happen now) Competing for the title/Win the title, lose in CL semis or quarters

Year 4 - Team has trouble, LVG leaves, but since a few young players have developed (let's say Januzaj, one of Welbeck/Kagawa, one of Smalling/Jones and Rafael are genuine stars and a couple of Lingard/Zaha/Pearson/Rothwell/Varela/Keane/Henriquez/Pereira/Mitchell/Powell are useful squad members.

It's more likely than not that his tenure here does not follow his Barca/AZ/Bayern pattern, but if it does and we develop young talent, qualify for the CL next year and win one title and another FA Cup over the next 3 or 4 seasons, that would be positive. Basically, I think it's an B+/A- appointment, which is pretty good.

Also, he's said to have mellowed a bit, and he's certainly smart enough, so there is proper upside.

NoPace

A+/A
In terms of other managers, I think Klopp was a clear first choice but couldn't be gotten yet, Rodgers was not going to happen but he deserves mentioning for his impressive work, Simeone - I don't give a feck if he doesn't speak English, his team is insanely well managed and solid players like Gabi, Tiago, Adrian look fantastic while very good players like Godin, Juanfran, Turan, Costa all look phenomenal - was probably not gettable either and after that there's a few good choices of which LVG was certainly one:

A-/B+
Pochettino's pressing numbers this season with Southampton (most possession while employing sloppy passes = a fit team working both hard and intelligently to get the ball back) were so impressive that he deserved consideration but a mid-table prem manager was NEVER going to get the job after Moyes, and Rudi Garcia's general resume is so good that I would have been excited by their appointments too. Bielsa has all the negatives of Van Gaal, but it would be so fun that I'd love to have seen him get a shot as long as he could deliver his old CM Vidal with him. De Boer has had trouble in Europe but seems good with young talent and has won the league every year. Don't know quite enough about him to really say, but I think he's earned discussion for this kind of job.

So, while he's not an A+ like Klopp or Simeone, he 's a solid A- or B+ appointment.

NoPace

Nonsense.

1) Klopp is stable, while LVG tends to get into massive fights and has left Barca and Bayern with the team miles off from where their talent would suggest they should be.

2) Klopp's transfer record at Dortmund, to the extent it's his and not their front office's, is incredible. Sahin, Gundogan, Kagawa, Jojic, Piszceck, Hummels, Lewandowski were, I believe, all bought on his watch and proved excellent buys. Whoever is buying CM's at Dortmund would be the best choice here. They keep finding fantastic new ones; Jojic looks another talented one.

3) Klopp could presumably get one of Hummels, Reus, Gundogan, Sahin or Subotic to join us, and any of them would walk into our starting lineup.

Alock1

Wears XXXL shirts and can't type ellipses
What is your basis for your rating NoPace?

The guy has won 3 different league titles with 4 clubs, won the champs league and been in 2 other finals. He's proven he can win whilst playing good football and without an open chequebook and in multiple leagues.

He's also proven he can build a frame and create a solid foundation for future managers to work with.

Klopp is the only man I think could be more rewarding. But there's no evidence he definitely would be, and definitely more risk.

I don't agree that Simeone would be nearly as adept, nevermind a step up.

Rodgers? Please.

CantonaGiggs1

Simeone - I don't give a feck if he doesn't speak English, his team is insanely well managed and solid players like Gabi, Tiago, Adrian look fantastic while very good players like Godin, Juanfran, Turan, Costa all look phenomenal - was probably not gettable
Simeone is not better than van Gaal. Just because he has done a great job this season does not automatically surpass
van Gaal's accomplisments and all the people he has mentored. Simeone's age is the only advantage he has over van Gaal. As for Simeone not speaking English, it is a big factor. You cannot have the manager of the biggest club in England not speak the language. You just can't.

None of this really matters anyway because Simeone despises the Premier league and has has said he would never manage in England.

p.s Klopp isn't better than van Gaal either.

Alock1

Wears XXXL shirts and can't type ellipses
Nonsense.

1) Klopp is stable, while LVG tends to get into massive fights and has left Barca and Bayern with the team miles off from where their talent would suggest they should be.

2) Klopp's transfer record at Dortmund, to the extent it's his and not their front office's, is incredible. Sahin, Gundogan, Kagawa, Jojic, Piszceck, Hummels, Lewandowski were, I believe, all bought on his watch and proved excellent buys. Whoever is buying CM's at Dortmund would be the best choice here. They keep finding fantastic new ones; Jojic looks another talented one.

3) Klopp could presumably get one of Hummels, Reus, Gundogan, Sahin or Subotic to join us, and any of them would walk into our starting lineup.
1) although it can end ugly, both clubs have since acknowledged theyve reaped rewards from his time at the clubs. He's had massively positive influences on both. Bayerns director said just before Van Gaal joined that they would always play a flat 442 with 2 strong centre forwards. Look how theyve moved on from that, there is no evidence that Heyknes would have been able to and had the success he had last season without Van Gaal. Same for Pep.

2) Klopp isn't the only man responsible for those signings though I'm sure he's important. Theyve also had some buys that didn't work out ( as expected) and proving you can buy talent and produce it at Dortmund isn't quite the same as at United where there is more immediate pressure and a bigger budget.

3) Conjecture and a silly reason to hire a manager. Van Gaal is a respected name and has worked with many top players too. Perhaps Robben, Xavi and Iniesta will come.

NoPace

1) although it can end ugly, both clubs have since acknowledged theyve reaped rewards from his time at the clubs. He's had massively positive influences on both. Bayerns director said just before Van Gaal joined that they would always play a flat 442 with 2 strong centre forwards. Look how theyve moved on from that, there is no evidence that Heyknes would have been able to and had the success he had last season without Van Gaal. Same for Pep.

2) Klopp isn't the only man responsible for those signings though I'm sure he's important. Theyve also had some buys that didn't work out ( as expected) and proving you can buy talent and produce it at Dortmund isn't quite the same as at United where there is more immediate pressure and a bigger budget.

3) Conjecture and a silly reason to hire a manager. Van Gaal is a respected name and has worked with many top players too. Perhaps Robben, Xavi and Iniesta will come.
Good points. I agree that even if LVG leaves the club in acrimony, the players and club will probably have developed.

I think LVG is a very good hire, he just wasn't the absolute best possible hire. Like signing Reus, Hazard or Gotze instead of Ronaldo or Messi. Still pretty damn good.

Loublaze

ATLien
Nonsense.

Nonsense how? Thats laughable. You think Ferguson was an easy person to work with? Fergie had a similar temperament but the difference is he (Fergie) got his way at United because he proved to be highly successful on the pitch, while Van Gaal managed teams that were always going to look for new managers when they got bored (look at Barcelona's managment history, and Bayern's regardless of success). Van Gaal would've had as long a career at United as Fergie did as long as he delivered. He figured out the CL with a youthful Ajax when United were terrible in the same competition until the late 90s.

Van Gaal has not only bought excellent players, he has made them too. Valdes, Xavi, Dennis Bergkamp, Marc Overmars, Iniesta, Kluivert, Seedorf, the De Boer brothers, Van Der Saar, Muller, reinvented Schweinsteiger as a midfield general from winger, converted David Alaba to a fine fullback, taught Mourinho the ropes at Barcelona, took Robben to Bayern, promoted Toni Kroos...Klopp is on the ascendancy but he doesn't have a thing on Van Gaal's achievements to date.

Utd7

Manchester United should have a cocky manager with swagger. Mourinho wasn't available so we got van Gaal who's arguably a better alternative considering he plays exciting football AND wins.

ghagua

I would have preferred Klopp as he would have been my first choice, but perfectly happy that Van Gaal is taking over. He will bring good football and a winning mentality to the team.

Brightonian

Well, they're two different people. There are things about Klopp that I prefer. For example, while he can be abrasive and difficult with outsiders (the press, referees etc), it's obvious that he cultivates an incredibly united, motivated atmosphere in the dressing room, whereas van Gaal sometimes causes problems with his players and has lost the support of his dressing room in the past.

As I say, I'm very happy with van Gaal as comfortably the best of the rest, but I think it's perfectly fair to have had Klopp as the dream choice.

Ninja_Spade

I'm thrilled! Ancelotti was my first choice if I'm honest, but as soon as he got Real Madrid to the final of the champions league it became unlikely we would have got him. So my next choice would have been van Gaal. Do I have concerns? Yeah, his close relationship with Robin has me worried, especially if he's making Robin captain. I'm concerned that certain members of the squad might start thinking that they can't trust him and that he's the team snitch. If I were LvG I wouldn't make Robin captain to show the players that he isn't going to be given preferential treatment. My second worry is making Ryan Giggs his number two. Yeah, Ryan is club legend and will go down as one of the best midfielders at Manchester United and in the English Premier League. But will his very presence cause problems? I was watching Paddy Crerand show on MUTV last night and it was mostly about Ryan and not about LvG. We all know LvG has an ego and I'm concerned that the main focus will be on Ryan. Also, what happens when we go through a bad patch of losing games will people start chanting for Ryan to be put in charge? But saying all that I have hope. Far much more than I had last preseason with David Moyes and I'm truly looking forward to next season. So hope he does well for us. I just hope he's given time. We're not going to win the title unless we bring in a ton of players which I just don't see happening. The best we should hope for is top 4 and a cup run. I think he will be a success at our club. A lot of people from other clubs don't think he will, but they're shitting themselves that we won't be a push over next season. I really wish both LvG and Ryan all the best for next season.

Ninja_Spade

I do have to wonder why people would want Guardiola or Klopp. The former's football style just wouldn't work in the BPL. Teams like Stoke, Palace, and West Brom would rip us apart with his style. While the latter is too keen to settle for second and for me I don't want a manager who is willing to settle for anything, but being a winner. Also, he is willing to sell his top players to their rivals. I mean, why would anyone want to play second fiddle to Bayern Munich. Like I said in my OP that Ancelotti would have been by first choice because he has the experience of the BPL and would be successful at our club. But he's just not available. So, LvG is our only realistic choice and I think he can be successful. If given support from the squad and financial backing.

Kaos

I'm 100% confident of this appointment. With Moyes I was underwhelmed and apprehensive when he was appointed, but I reluctantly got behind him, with LvG I'm excited because he actually looks, speaks and has the credentials of a Manchester United manager...unlike his predecessor.

acrebo

Cautious optimism from me, more because I was quite supportive of the Moyes appointment and thought he'd be a safe pair of hands...

The only reservation is how quickly he'll impose his changes. Manchester United is a big old ship to turn around and a top-to-bottom overhaul is bound to encounter some issues initially... hopefully we all give him the space and time he needs.

redtilldead123

Van Gaal is a shit or bust type appointment.

It will either go tremendously well, and we will see the first ever English club playing total football and become the envy of the world with their style, winning ways and global dominance.

Or he will fall out with the bosses, the players won't be able to play to his style, and Van Gaal will drop his trousers and flip out in a big way.

Either way expect lots of front page headlines. The Sun must be looking forward to this...

Adebesi

Van Gaal is a shit or bust type appointment.

It will either go tremendously well, and we will see the first ever English club playing total football and become the envy of the world with their style, winning ways and global dominance.

Or he will fall out with the bosses, the players won't be able to play to his style, and Van Gaal will drop his trousers and flip out in a big way.

Either way expect lots of front page headlines. The Sun must be looking forward to this...
If we are judging this on the precedents, even in the latter scenario he should get the team playing better football and set things up for the next manager to come in and do well.

It will be interesting to see if SAF becomes our equivalent of Uli Hoeness tho.

Loublaze

ATLien
Well, they're two different people. There are things about Klopp that I prefer. For example, while he can be abrasive and difficult with outsiders (the press, referees etc), it's obvious that he cultivates an incredibly united, motivated atmosphere in the dressing room, whereas van Gaal sometimes causes problems with his players and has lost the support of his dressing room in the past.

As I say, I'm very happy with van Gaal as comfortably the best of the rest, but I think it's perfectly fair to have had Klopp as the dream choice.
For all the talk of Klopp's highly motivated atmosphere, you'd think he'd convince some of his star players to stay a little longer at the team. Don't tell me its all about money. Dortmund's main striker is joining their main rivals for free! Klopp is in danger of already becoming the new Arsene Wenger. It seems players at Dortmund have resigned to being second best, their fans were even applauding Lewondosky after his pathetic final showing for them in the German cup. Soon enough these players are going to be disillusioned like the ones at Arsenal after that long drought.

The man can sure spot some good talent in the transfer market, but how long will this go on? Klopp is having to rebuild teams every other season because he's losing his best players. This is an Arsenal situation. Klopp is also inexperienced with working with big squads. Dortmund's squad depth is paper thin and their two title wins in 11 and 12 depended on key players staying fit. Look what happened this season when they lost Gundogan, Piszczek, Sven Bender, Hummels, Mkhitaryan, Blaszczykowski and Subotic to injury. Lewondosky had to play a game with the flu once this season when they lost 3-0 to Hamburg, only to be replaced by Reus who himself had just come back from a muscular injury. In the meantime he had players like Jonas Hoffman, Marvin Ducksch, Julian Schieber and Milos Jojic all at his disposal. Van Gaal is not the best of the rest, he is indeed the best, proven in signing and developing great players and winning titles. @NoPace

Last edited:

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
For all the talk of Klopp's highly motivated atmosphere, you'd think he'd convince some of his star players to stay a little longer at the team. Don't tell me its all about money. Dortmund's main striker is joining their main rivals for free! Klopp is in danger of already becoming the new Arsene Wenger. @NoPace
You know Lewandowski is not playing for Bayern for free. He will make a lot more at Bayern than he was making at Dortmund.

Loublaze

ATLien
You know Lewandowski is not playing for Bayern for free. He will make a lot more at Bayern than he was making at Dortmund.
Off course I know that. When I said 'don't tell me its all about money' I meant that as not being the only reason they are facing an exodus of players. The next sentence looked like it was tied with the one before it, so that's my fault.

Last edited:

Adebesi

For all the talk of Klopp's highly motivated atmosphere, you'd think he'd convince some of his star players to stay a little longer at the team. Don't tell me its all about money. Dortmund's main striker is joining their main rivals for free! Klopp is in danger of already becoming the new Arsene Wenger. It seems players at Dortmund have resigned to being second best, their fans were even applauding Lewondosky after his pathetic final showing for them in the German cup. Soon enough these players are going to be disillusioned like the ones at Arsenal after that long drought.

The man can sure spot some good talent in the transfer market, but how long will this go on? Klopp is having to rebuild teams every other season because he's losing his best players. This is an Arsenal situation. Klopp is also inexperienced with working with big squads. Dortmund's squad depth is paper thin and their two title wins in 11 and 12 depended on key players staying fit. Look what happened this season when they lost Gundogan, Piszczek, Sven Bender, Hummels, Mkhitaryan, Blaszczykowski and Subotic to injury. Lewondosky had to play a game with the flu once this season when they lost 3-0 to Hamburg, only to be replaced by Reus who himself had just come back from a muscular injury. In the meantime he had players like Jonas Hoffman, Marvin Ducksch, Julian Schieber and Milos Jojic all at his disposal. Van Gaal is not the best of the rest, he is indeed the best, proven in signing and developing great players and winning titles. @NoPace
I think you make some valid points about the similarities between Dortmund and Arsenal. But I dont think those similarities reflect badly on the managers. Wenger could walk into just about any job in world football he wanted if he decided to leave Arsenal, the likes of Barca and Madrid would take him there in a heartbeat.

Loublaze

ATLien
I think you make some valid points about the similarities between Dortmund and Arsenal. But I dont think those similarities reflect badly on the managers. Wenger could walk into just about any job in world football he wanted if he decided to leave Arsenal, the likes of Barca and Madrid would take him there in a heartbeat.
Indeed, any big club would have them both. It still reflects badly on them that they can't convince their best players to stay and fight for them. Managers like Mourinho, Fergie and VG tell players to get lost, not the other way round. Its also damining that they both allow valuable players to wind down their contracts.

Adebesi

Indeed, any big club would have them both. It still reflects badly on them that they can't convince their best players to stay and fight for them. Managers like Mourinho, Fergie and VG tell players to get lost, not the other way round. Its also damining that they both allow valuable players to wind down their contracts.
I dont think so, myself. Its about money. Money and trophies. And trophies are an extension of money in football these days because the link is so strong - particularly via wages.

I am sure people would stay at Dortmund if Dortmund offered the same wages as Bayern. Im sure most of the Arsenal players who left to join City wouldnt have done that either if it wasnt for the money. I dont think it reflects badly on the managers particularly, it is just what football is now. Money talks and players have way more power than they ever did in the past.

It says something about these managers that they dont jump ship and go to a bigger club where they will have a better chance of holding onto their best players and therefore have more stability. There has always been a question about whether Wenger in particular took comfort in the excuse and lacked skill in the upper end of the transfer market. He might not have found the idea of managing a Madrid type club that appealing, either because he enjoys working with unpolished diamonds and doing the polishing himself, or because he lacks the bottle to spend €50m plus on a single player, or whatever it is. Maybe it is the same with Klopp, maybe he will never look beyond his comfort zone. But I dont think its fair to criticise them because their players want to move onto bigger and better things.

SirAF

Ageist
Absolutely delighted with the appointment. He is a proven winner, and he'll play attractive possession football and promote youth players - exactly what I want to see in a Manchester United manager.

redtilldead123

I dont think so, myself. Its about money. Money and trophies.
Money and trophies yes. But at the heart of what owners are interested in is fans. The more the better.

Of course one feeds the other, but ultimately owners want the biggest revenue possible, and the more fans that are buying the shirts and mouse mats, the better.

Loublaze

ATLien
I dont think so, myself. Its about money. Money and trophies. And trophies are an extension of money in football these days because the link is so strong - particularly via wages.

I am sure people would stay at Dortmund if Dortmund offered the same wages as Bayern. Im sure most of the Arsenal players who left to join City wouldnt have done that either if it wasnt for the money. I dont think it reflects badly on the managers particularly, it is just what football is now. Money talks and players have way more power than they ever did in the past.

It says something about these managers that they dont jump ship and go to a bigger club where they will have a better chance of holding onto their best players and therefore have more stability. There has always been a question about whether Wenger in particular took comfort in the excuse and lacked skill in the upper end of the transfer market. He might not have found the idea of managing a Madrid type club that appealing, either because he enjoys working with unpolished diamonds and doing the polishing himself, or because he lacks the bottle to spend €50m plus on a single player, or whatever it is. Maybe it is the same with Klopp, maybe he will never look beyond his comfort zone. But I dont think its fair to criticise them because their players want to move onto bigger and better things.
Great post