Van Gaal, who will he Schweinsteiger?

JefferiesTube

Welbeck is not a prolific striker. He also has poor creativity. If you are not scoring goals OR creating chances for others to score goals, then you are seriously lacking in 2 vital areas for a forward attacking player. The lack of goals would be no issue whatsoever, IF Welbeck created chances on a regular basis, but he doesn't.

Welbeck created 16 chances all season in PL and CL. Welbeck started 19 games and came off the bench 11 times.
Nani created 13 chances all season in PL and CL. Nani started 8 games and came off the bench 4 times.

Welbeck played a total of 1826 minutes in PL and CL. 114.1 minutes per chance created.
Nani played a total of 648 minutes in PL and CL. 49.8 minutes per chance created.

Nani this season performed below his best. By comparing Welbeck's creativity to the creativity of a player performing below his best, you can see just how shockingly poor Welbeck's creativity is. If you factor in the other of the 2 vital areas for a forward player, goals.

Welbeck 73 minutes per goal scored or chance created.
Nani 46.3 minutes per goal scored or chance created.

If a team is lacking creativity, they will not create enough chances. You want to aim to have at least 4 of your attacking players to be sub 30 minutes per goal scored or chance created, or as close as possible. This means that your attacking players are all creating chances and/or scoring goals. If you have 4 players at 73 mins per goal or chance, you are going to be very poor creatively as a team. If you are poor creatively, you create less chances, so there is less chance for the team to score and win games.

Seasons 09/10, 10/11, 11/12 Nani was 32, 34, 29 mins per goal or chance. Next season we need the 4 forward players to be at 30 mins per goal or chance. If we can get one or both CMs close to 30 as well, then we have a very creative team and will be scoring many goals throughout the season. Giggs was more than capable of being around 30, even sub 30. None of our current CMs are capable of getting anywhere close. Welbeck is not capable of getting close, unless he dramatically improves.

Last edited:

Blackwidow

I really like this thread by the way. Going to have to put more thought into who LVG could transform like he did with Schweinsteiger. It was something I never saw coming. @Blackwidow did you?
I did not predict it - but then I was not surprised. Like I was not really when Pep started to use Lahm in the defensive midfield - Lahm played that for the national team before when Khedira and Schweinsteiger were injured and with the injury problems at Bayern that just made sense. That he still uses him there is more surprising...

Schweinsteiger has played single matches in central midfield with Hitzfeld, but we always had very good and experienced players there before.
Hargreaves even if he played his first matches as replacements for Effenberg and Jeremies has played a lot of matches on the wings before he got his starting spot in the center, too.

El-Manos

Ashley Young into an Aston Villa player again would be a good start.

Has to play CB full time, I think he can be a top player there given time, needs a good experienced partner for this season which hopefully VG will sort, I don't rate Smalling at this time.
Smalling was a lot more reliable and simply better than Jones at CB this season, without question.

Ace of Spades

Rooney is interesting. SAF was toying with the idea, and with Scholes' recent comments, maybe we need to take a chance and convert him to a CM.

Zoo

I think Valencia could be finished as a winger under Van Gaal. I don't see him playing in midfield, he'll probably be moved on or used only as a fullback.

Juan't Mata

Knowing our club's outlook on midfielders, we'll end up converting Bastian back into a winger. :(

Red Shorts

Forrest Gimp
I can see him making something out of Cleverley out wide for some really odd reason. It's where he started out (I seem to recall) and it may be something he may use him for again.

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
I can see him making something out of Cleverley out wide for some really odd reason. It's where he started out (I seem to recall) and it may be something he may use him for again.
I said a couple of times last season that i'd like to see him on the right of the "3" in a 4-2-3-1, it makes best use of his better instincts around the box without taxing him with defensive duties in the middle of the park where he can be found wanting at times against top class opposition.

Brightonian

Januzaj is wasted on the wing. He can do so much with the ball it's almost a pity to play him in a position where realistically he can usually only ever cross. His pace, skill and reading of the game as an asset through the middle could be invaluable.
Ugh this opinion. 'All good players should play centrally where they can really influence the play' isn't even a hipster thing anymore, it's just dumb. 'Pace, skill and reading of the game' are bad assets for a wide man?!. Pace, in particular, is a crazy one to use as a reason to move him into a central position, since you get much more leeway to open up the burners when you play out wide.

Yes, he has the skill, vision and invention to play as a #10. But he also has pace, direct dribbling and a wicked cross. From a wide starting position, he can use all of those strengths. Why play him in a position where he can only use half of his assets?! Playing from the wing, the way he has done this season, he has the option to attack in almost any way. It makes him an absolute nightmare to defend against. Playing him centrally just limits him without actually adding anything.

BW.k

re the title : He'll Ronaldo Cleverley.

Seriously though , I don't think we've anyone in the squad who we can revitalise in a new role. Perhaps Valencia may have a case as a box to box midfielder , as he has the pace , power and stamina but sometimes he's way too ill disciplined to play in a midfield two.
Schweinsteiger was an obvious case as he was a winger without pace and trickery which are two of the most important aspects for a wideman unless he has ridiculously good crossing or shooting ability.

I can see Rooney being a full time CM but for that he needs to get some consistency in his touch.

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
What about Saidy Janko as a box-to-box type? he's got the physicality for it and he's defensively competent (obviously).
The flipside to this is he took Alaba (who at the time was a central midfielder) and made him into a left back. So, basically, who the feck knows ?

Moonwalker

re the title : He'll Ronaldo Cleverley.

Seriously though , I don't think we've anyone in the squad who we can revitalise in a new role. Perhaps Valencia may have a case as a box to box midfielder , as he has the pace , power and stamina but sometimes he's way too ill disciplined to play in a midfield two.
Schweinsteiger was an obvious case as he was a winger without pace and trickery which are two of the most important aspects for a wideman unless he has ridiculously good crossing or shooting ability.

I can see Rooney being a full time CM but for that he needs to get some consistency in his touch.
He had plenty of trickery.

Historian's fallacy, never fails to irritate.

BW.k

He used to be quite fast back when he burst onto the scene in 2004.
I don't think he was as quick or as good a dribbler as Ribery or Robben. He also wasn't as effective as them in terms of goals. He was very impressive in Euro 2004 but not what you call a world class winger. He's a better player as a midfielder than what he was as a winger.

Bwuk

I think he'll move Januzaj more centrally, not as a deep cm though, similar to how Robben plays for Holland.

Walters_19_MuFc

Cleverley as a defensive midfielder, or the more reserved midfielder in a double pivot.

Personally, I feel Cleverley's best games in a United shirt come from when he was partnered with Anderson - a player who give us drive from midfield. This meant Cleverley's job was making sure he kept the ball ticking over, which he did, and still does very well, in my opinion. Off the ball, he gives great energy, presses very well and can get stuck in.

Below shows a video of Cleverley against Barcelona, albeit being a pre-season friendly, and 3 years ago, I felt Cleverley played very well in a more reserved role, against a high pressing Barcelona team.

I'd like to see Van Gaal try him with a player who give drive and creativity from midfield. I.e. Pogba, Strootman, Vidal, etc.

red_7

Valencia was already mentioned, played CM for his country.

Rooney to CM is an ever present discussion.

Cleverley seems to have 1 quality, his crossing isn't too bad. Maybe he can do a job as RM but LvG prefers real wingers anyway.

Jones to DM if you can say that's a change. At least Jones wants to play CB so a change in his mind would be the first step but I think he is not the biggest CB and too harsh some times. He played well in midfield but who doesn't look good in our midfield these days ;-)

Booyakasha

Cleverley as a defensive midfielder, or the more reserved midfielder in a double pivot.

Personally, I feel Cleverley's best games in a United shirt come from when he was partnered with Anderson - a player who give us drive from midfield. This meant Cleverley's job was making sure he kept the ball ticking over, which he did, and still does very well, in my opinion. Off the ball, he gives great energy, presses very well and can get stuck in.
This. Mobility has never been Cleverley's strong point and he hasn't been helped by the fact that he was usually partnered with Carrick or Fellaini, who are even more immobile. Playing alongside a player in the mould of Fletcher circa 2008 might just make Cleverley become the player we had all hoped he'd become.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
This. Mobility has never been Cleverley's strong point and he hasn't been helped by the fact that he was usually partnered with Carrick or Fellaini, who are even more immobile. Playing alongside a player in the mould of Fletcher circa 2008 might just make Cleverley become the player we had all hoped he'd become.
Cleverley isn't mobile... Weh? :wenger:

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
I wouldn't mind Welbeck being tried out as a box to box CM. He has the legs for it, but lacks composure in the box which wouldn't be such an issue in that position.

Dante

Average bang
Carrick as a centreback, Cleverley as a fullback, Fellaini as a target man (all player types we're currently lacking in).

Blackwidow

I hope the use of the word Schweinsteiger as a verb doesnt catch on.
Better than if you would ask who will he muller?

That is the most interesting thing for me. He brought out this special youngsters at all of his big clubs - Puyol, Xavi, Iniesta at Barcelona, Müller and Badstuber at Bayern and a bunch of them at Ajax. All have been key to the success of their clubs in the future and at Spain and Germany for the county as well. Who will be that guy or guys at Manchester?