VAR | 2021/22 Performances

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
New and improved rules for this season.

Worked quite well in the game against Leeds today.

Giggsy13

Just waiting for the ABU to come up with the brilliant dig of VARane now that he’s officially signed. Looking forward to that very “special” person.

stw2022

It’s better because it’s not being used to obsess over the nose hair being offside. People who were insisting they were delighted with such pedantic use last season were either lying or they surely must hate this new approach?

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
No VAR -> too much VAR + bad applications -> less VAR + mistakes
Maybe they'll get there next season.

arnie_ni

So 3 games in - I think VAR has generally been much better this season so far?
Was in a bar all day Saturday so my opinion could be a boy hazy, but I thought the red card for James was done far too quickly. The ref only seen a still picture by the time he got to the monitor.

Flying high

Just saw the Walker penalty and red card incident.

The red card may have been a slightly harsh call, but the foul is pretty clear. He gets his leg in front of the Southampton player but is nowhere near playing the ball.

My guess is that Moss decided if he has to drag his fat ass all the way over to the side of the pitch, then he might as well make it worthwhile.

cyberman

Seeing it again the Southampton player is going down to get the shot away and he actually gets to the ball. How the defender stepping across for a body check and not touching the ball gets away with it I do no know.

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
it’s not clear enough or obvious enough to overturn for me, city got away with one after it was given.

jetlee

Imagine if we'd got away with this one. Klopp would talk about it for two season I'd imagine.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
It would be all over social media and we wouldn’t get another decision for a month.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
https://www.yardbarker.com/soccer/a...been_disallowed_for_offside/s1_16739_36009443

I personally don’t think it’s offside because he’s not in the eyeline and not hit at Jesse but I was wondering what the check was after the goal was about
Did this City fan tweet about the Villa goal that could've been given as offside? Or that Liverpool fan?

This partisan online fan support gets on my nerves. Over the last 48 hours that City fan had seen De Bruyne not get sent off for endangering an opponent and then seen a United player get his ban doubled for a similar tackle.

Going back further, he also saw a Kyle Walker red card and penalty overturned because why not, it's City at home right. He's also seen multiple legitimate United penalty appeals waved away. But with his tweet he's implying United get favourable decisions regularly.

VAR is proving to be a bigger mess this year and that's a concern. I've always been pro-VAR because I never expected a perfect product straightaway, so it was on the proviso it tweaks and improves regularly. Going backwards after 2 seasons isn't promising.

Last edited:

Berbasbullet

Did this City fan tweet about the Villa goal that could've been given as offside?
Exactly in my group chats everyone kicking off about Lingard. So I brought up Villa and that seemed to shut them up.

Bubz27

Exactly in my group chats everyone kicking off about Lingard. So I brought up Villa and that seemed to shut them up.
It's pretty much the same isn't it? Except the Villa player was stood right in front of De Gea whereas Lingard is on the floor in front of their keeper.

Bubz27

No way is Lamela exaggerating the slightest bit of contact. Fecking scrote.

Berbasbullet

It's pretty much the same isn't it? Except the Villa player was stood right in front of De Gea whereas Lingard is on the floor in front of their keeper.
Yeah I think so, personally think they were both offside, at least from the footage I have seen of Lingard.

Piratesoup

Supports
Bayern München
The pen given to Sevilla was absolute madness.
Probably the single worst decision on a football pitch I've ever seen in my life. Georgi Kabakow should never be allowed to ref a match in any professional league again, that's how bad it was. I really hope he was secretly in Sevilla's pocket because that would at least be a logical explanation for that joke of a decision.

As Arnold from Wolfsburg put it after the game: "Bottomless."

cyberman

I don’t know how to timestamp but it’s 3:05.
Perez seems to have a goal disallowed for offside direct from a corner. My question is, you can’t be offside if you connect with a direct cross from a corner yet I’m not seeing this questioned anywhere.
Am I missing something? There isn’t a peep about it and I can’t see an offence anywhere else

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons

They reviewed this in VAR room today and decided it wasn't offside.

We were shite and the result is not in question, but what's the point of VAR if goals like this stand?

Ekkie Thump

Supports
Leeds United
I don’t know how to timestamp but it’s 3:05.
Perez seems to have a goal disallowed for offside direct from a corner. My question is, you can’t be offside if you connect with a direct cross from a corner yet I’m not seeing this questioned anywhere.
Am I missing something? There isn’t a peep about it and I can’t see an offence anywhere else
Leicester Number 18 is all over the back of the Legia player, preventing him from getting anywhere near Perez.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20

They reviewed this in VAR room today and decided it wasn't offside.

We were shite and the result is not in question, but what's the point of VAR if goals like this stand?
Looks like the ball is already airborne there, so they could easily have used a frame or two before this one to make the decision - and in one of those I'm guessing the left foot of the closest defender to the camera would likely have been playing the Finnish attacker on.

cyberman

Cavani is fouled while he’s ahead of the defender getting to the ball and BBC are saying he might not have got there?
I understand the hatred of VAR but that worked perfectly tonight and nonsense like this doesn’t help

arnie_ni

Cavani is fouled while he’s ahead of the defender getting to the ball and BBC are saying he might not have got there?
I understand the hatred of VAR but that worked perfectly tonight and nonsense like this doesn’t help
Shearer is a prick

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Don't think he was getting to Konsa tbh who had a good run on him. It was clever play from him to go down as goal would've been given otherwise.

Problem here though is West Ham get given a goal yesterday even though Bowen is offside and challenges the keeper so in 24 hours you get two similar incidents and yet one goal is given and the other isn't.

Baxter

Funny the issue of VAR at Premier League grounds only becomes an issue for Al when United benefit. It’s been the same in both cups for 2 years. :lol:

Phil

I'm fecking bored of half brain cell pundits A. moaning that it took time to look at multiple incidents in one play and B. Failing to see what's right in front of their eyes. How can you seriously tell me he's not deliberately moved in front of Cavani to block him and isn't impeding his ability to get to the ball? He's not even looking at the ball, just Cavani. An NFL player would be proud.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
Funny thing is the VAR decision wasn't even for a foul. It was because Ramsey was offside when the free kick was taken and he was clearly interfering with play as he blocked off the defender (Cavani). Whether it was a foul or not was irrelevant to the goal being disallowed.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
That goal could have been disallowed four times over. The foul, two offsides, and handball by Ings.