VAR and Refs | General Discussion | Forest go into meltdown

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Mitoma goal disallowed just now for a handball that we never a handball. Which was only close to a handball because he got a two handed shove in the back, inside the box.

VAR gets involved. Decision = handball. Referee doesn’t even get asked to review footage. Another awful VAR fail. Add it to the very long list.

Dan_F

Don’t think that one will be getting over turned for Newcastle. What was he thinking.

Chief123

That stamp on Mitoma’s foot by Hojberg has to be up there with one of the worst VAR calls this season. Most blatant penalty you’ll see. How can you get it so badly wrong?!

Bogga

Brighton have been robbed three times now... Two penalties and the Mitoma goal :confused:

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
VAR at Spurs-Brighton should get fired

Godfather

I expect Casemiro to get banned for some of the stamps today including the one from Garner against us

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
PL referees are truly bent. They decide beforehand who's their gonna do
Nah, they're just incompetent. That Brighton (no) penalty call is a shocker. It's as blatant as they come and they've still missed it.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
PL referees are truly bent. They decide beforehand who's their gonna do
Yeah there’s bound to be some corruption with how far sports betting has proliferated into every market these days. I truly can’t believe any qualified referee can be this bad without some incentive.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Unfortunately I don't think it's as much as an exciting referee conspiracy as you think. It's just down to them being incompetent at their jobs.
Nah, they're just incompetent. That Brighton (no) penalty call is a shocker. It's as blatant as they come and they've still missed it.
I don't think you can brush under the carpet the possibility of them being corrupt

Telsim

Brighton should be preparing the formal complaints as we speak. Absolutely awful, awful refereeing. A hatchet job if I have ever seen one.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
How have Brighton not got a penalty? I don’t understand the rules.

FriedClams

This has to stop. The referees in this league are an absolute joke. We all just put up with it, there will be a few weeks without incident and then they will be back at it. Brighton have been shafted this game, to the extent that the most likely explanation is corruption.

Eckers99

I don't think you can brush under the carpet the possibility of them being corrupt
No club in the country has anything positive to say about officials. They're just so bad that something as wild as corruption starts to seem reasonable.

kouroux

No club in the country has anything positive to say about officials. They're just so bad that something as wild as corruption starts to seem reasonable.
There have been referees found in guilty of corruption in other places, there is the Barca scandal going at the moment.
I don't think one can safely say that the PL are 1000% not corrupt. It's a possibility, albeit a small one.
Atwell is doing a fine job to give this theory some semblance of truth

mctrials23

That was one of the worst refereeing performances I have seen in a long time. Half the Spurs teams should have been on yellows. If Casemiro had put in the tackle that Perisic did the whole world would have been losing their shit at it only being a yellow. Scissor tackle and follows through into the players shin, studs up.

Brighton have been robbed today.

Idxomer

This is the refs doing their best to keep top 4 in play till the last few weeks.

They are all about narratives and have admitted so in the past.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Spurs always seemingly get decisions.. Two pens given against Newcastle today, second one looked pretty soft.

Eckers99

There have been referees found in guilty of corruption in other places, there is the Barca scandal going at the moment.
I don't think one can safely say that the PL are 1000% not corrupt. It's a possibility, albeit a small one.
Atwell is doing a fine job to give this theory some semblance of truth
Like, for example, Spain?
There's always dodgy stuff going on in Italy and Spain. I kind of expect a good scandal every few years. If it's happening in this country, feck knows who's benefiting because everyone is up in arms about how bad they are. It's not out of the question but I'd rank it less feasible than them just being fecking useless.
Which one?
There was a 2nd?! I switched off surely after the Mitoma one, which was ludicrously poor.

edcunited1878

The integrity of the match officials must be questioned because these decisions are shocking. No other way to describe it. As the most competitive league, the officials are not doing their part in making it a match between 2 teams.

kouroux

There's always dodgy stuff going on in Italy and Spain. I kind of expect a good scandal every few years. If it's happening in this country, feck knows who's benefiting because everyone is up in arms about how bad they are. It's not out of the question but I'd rank it less feasible than them just being fecking useless.

There was a 2nd?! I switched off surely after the Mitoma one, which was ludicrously poor.
There was another incident late on, it wasn't inside the box but as clear as a foul as it could get, would have given Brighton a dangerous FK.

Telsim

The league. Stir shit up and create narratives. In this case, keep the battle for top 4. It sounds crazy, but I'm struggling to find reasonable explanation. Today was just so blatant.

UTAretro

Supports
Brighton
Despite witnessing bad refereeing performances, as we all have, I have never once doubted the integrity of match officials. They may have be been wrong, but they have been honest.

Today was something different.

I strongly suspect something was very, very dishonest about what just happened.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
There's no conspiracy... It's just terrible refs, made more terrible by really terrible VAR implementation

Last edited:

Reyoji-Utd

Refs in football has to have consequences re their decisions within games. I mean if in real time there could be excuses that its hard to see the fouls in real time. But with VAR and they still get this wrong, questions and action needs to be taken by all the clubs to make sure the standard is up there.

Gabriel Djemba-Bebe

That tinfoil hat of yours is bordering on RAWK levels. Pretty much every team in the league has been fecked over by an appallingly bad VAR decision. The fact that it happens so frequently is down to the poor standards of refereeing.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
I second the poster above. It would be a travesty of the officials are allowed to ruin another game next week.
Mon any industry, you’d be suspended for performing this badly.

Lecland07

I think refereeing has become worse since the introduction of VAR. I think there is a lot of confusion around it. Referees seem to be relying on it, but it is not reliable.

They say that they want to keep the decisions in the hand of the ref, but they don't do that at all. If the VAR doesn't refer the ref, he doesn't ever get to see it again; this makes it the decision of the VAR instead.

It has also led to rules becoming over-complicated; there seem to be far more changes than there used to be. The rules don't even make sense anymore.

I just don't think it works. Bring in automated offsides, keep goal line technology and just scrap the rest of VAR.