VAR and Refs | General Discussion | May 15: Premier League clubs to vote on proposal to scrap VAR from next season

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
And yet in the PL this would never be given, so what's actually the handball law?
Aye pretty sure there are different standards in the different competitions, which I hate in principle as well as practice.

Like feck I can explain the nuances of the handball rule. But once his arm was near shoulder height and he touched the ball, I expected it to be a penalty. In the CL particularly that gets given the large majority of the time, I think.

SER19

Why has football turned so stupid? Rules are so punishing for handballs, it's beyond ridiculous
A penalty for that is just insane. Tame header moving away from goal, from a couple of feet away. A penalty! Almost guaranteed goal. Pellistri was fouled more in the first 4 minutes while trying to tap in and it didnt even get a mention.

Matriac

And yet in the PL this would never be given, so what's actually the handball law?
There is not just one set of rules, it also depends on how they are interpreted.

In the Champions League these are given, in the Premier League the refs have agreed to give less of these if so close/little time to react.

But yeah this one is really hurt by the playback speed. It looks intentional seeking the ball in slowmo, but natural in normal speed.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Yeah I know. Even the rules themselves are non sensical though, let alone the human element to it.

We’re never going back to non-VAR though. I honestly thought VAR would be great when I came in, I never dreamt it would be implemented so badly.
In this case I'm pretty sure it's a handball law issue rather than a VAR issue. That's the type of handball call that get's given in the CL, so VAR were probably right to call it, but the actual rules are an ever-changing mess.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
There is not just one set of rules, it also depends on how they are interpreted.

In the Champions League these are given, in the Premier League the refs have agreed to give less of these if so close/little time to react.

But yeah this one is really hurt by the playback speed. It looks intentional seeking the ball in slowmo, but natural in normal speed.
Tbis is not correct. I am sure that if you looked hard enough you would find 5 such instances in Europe where this wasn’t given. There is no real law anymore, just whatever the ref feels like

chris123

I'm going to sound like a dinosaur for saying this, but this really is never what this sport was meant to be. Intentionality, reaction time, distance between the players should all matter a hell of a lot more than whether a nothing ball across the box has struck someone's arm at point blank range.

The XG difference between the chance from that situation and the automatic goal you get for a penalty is just way too severe for the sort of foul that that is.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
It's a handball under the champions league threshold. nothing rigged about it.
It's a mistake, referee's been told to bring it back to deliberate handball, as the law is written.

No way this is, it's too close and arm doesn't move towards the ball, isn't high.

This is a clear mistake in law and UEFA hopefully admit it as such.

Can't have the CL with different rules to all other football.

Dan_F

In this case I'm pretty sure it's a handball law issue rather than a VAR issue. That's the type of handball call that get's given in the CL, so VAR were probably right to call it, but the actual rules are an ever-changing mess.
If you want an indication of how much the handball rule has changed, I thought the PSG/Dalot one was so wrong at the time. We’ve got to a point where it can be a yard away, not even blocking a shot/pass, and not even an outstretched arm.

Idxomer

I'm going to sound like a dinosaur for saying this, but this really is never what this sport was meant to be. Intentionality, reaction time, distance between the players should all matter a hell of a lot more than whether a nothing ball across the box has struck someone's arm at point blank range.

The XG difference between the chance from that situation and the automatic goal you get for a penalty is just way too severe for the sort of foul that that is.
They definitely should bring back indirect free-kicks for this type of handball.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty

It's the same with offsides. The spirit of the law (for lack of a better term) has been totally forgotten.

Offside wasn't brought in to penalise attackers for having a nipple ahead of the last defender, yet here we are.

Krny

Supports
Celtic Football Club
His hand is outstretched, it's hit his actual hand and it's stopped the ball going into the 6 yard box. Penalty all day

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
His hand is outstretched, it's hit his actual hand and it's stopped the ball going into the 6 yard box. Penalty all day
It's not outstretched... It's up but still in his body... it's a natural jumping action.

If it hadn't hit his hand it would have hit his body.

evil_geko

Bayern is awful. :lol: Good on ref for pushing them with imaginary penalty when they needed it...

cyberman

It's the same with offsides. The spirit of the law (for lack of a better term) has been totally forgotten.

Offside wasn't brought in to penalise attackers for having a nipple ahead of the last defender, yet here we are.
To be fair, offsides were brought in exactly for that

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
The worst thing about this for me is that he didn’t give it and it actually got overturned. Complete mockery.
I promise if you gave an unbiased person who has no interest in the game a look at the Pellistri one & this one then if one had to be a pen then it won’t be the handball

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
They definitely should bring back indirect free-kicks for this type of handball.
This would be so easy to implement as well.

Shots stopped by a hand/arm are penalties, crosses are indirect free kicks.

Josep Dowling

To me if the on-field referee or linesman didn’t feel that was a penalty why is VAR getting involved. What happened to clear and obvious? That was the whole point of VAR which has been massively lost.

They measure offsides and handballs to the MM but miss clear fouls. I can’t understand how they’re got it so wrong and it’s ruining the game now.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
I cannot remember us having a worse run of bloody crap decisions.

We cannot buy a break at the moment.
Excuse me, 6 weeks ago we had a fortunate call in our favour! Red tinted specs or what.

Jev

No. The linesmen were always told to favour the attacker when in doubt. VAR invented the toe-nail offside and has ruled out hundreds of goals that nobody would have complained about in the past. Before VAR, common sense was encouraged when refereeing. That's gone now.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID

For context, this is another handball that got given in the CL but almost certainly wouldn't be in the PL. And generally they're stricter again when the arm is high.

Once Eriksen had his arm near shoulder height and touched it it was always likely to be given. Have stupid rules, get stupid results.

cyberman

No. The linesmen were always told to favour the attacker when in doubt. VAR invented the toe-nail offside and has ruled out hundreds of goals that nobody would have complained about in the past.
No, offsides were brought in to align the sport with rugby. It was an offence to play the ball forward never mind favouring the attacker.
Offsides never favoured the attacker. They always looked for close offsides and ended up guessing so many times when they weren’t sure

cyberman

For context, this is another handball that got given in the CL but almost certainly wouldn't be in the PL. And generally they're stricter again when the arm is high.

Once Eriksen had his arm near shoulder height and touched it it was always likely to be given. Have stupid rules, get stupid results.
His arm wasn’t near shoulder height?

Idxomer

The Dortmund one was ridiculous as well, the rule is fecked if it leads to those decisions.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
No they weren't. Offsides, initially, were called very similarly to how they are in rugby, and were a hangover of the pre-codified games that eventually became football as we know it now. Pretty much every single revision has been to provide advantage to the attacking player.

The spirit of the offside law has always been about preventing unfair territorial advantage to the attacking team, but, importantly, without unduly penalising them. These ridiculous bootlace VAR calls seem to have forgotten that last part.

Anustart89

That free kick by the touchline where we supposedly got an advantage was another hilariously bad call from the ref :lol: Martial was fouled almost inside the box and he gives the advantage foul out wide instead.

cyberman

No they weren't. Offsides, initially, were called very similarly to how they are in rugby, and were a hangover of the pre-codified games that eventually became football as we know it now. Pretty much every single revision has been to provide advantage to the attacking player.

The spirit of the offside law has always been about preventing unfair territorial advantage to the attacking team, but, importantly, without unduly penalising them. These ridiculous bootlace VAR calls seem to have forgotten that last part.
It wasn’t a hangover, offsides were literally a lot tougher than this and that’s what I’m arguing against when people claim offsides were never brought in for this. They were and it was a lot stricter and advantage to the attacker was never a rule. They even altered the rule to have three players between the attacker and goal for it to be onside! Up until 1990 an attacker was offside when he was level with the defender, in our lifetime the rule was still you had to be behind the defender!
I understand the frustrations and I have them as well but in an era where an attacker isn’t flagged for offside when he’s on is a huge plus for the sport.

90 + 5min

München was better team but referee and VAR won it.

We are really being bullied. Now both in Premier League and Champions League.

Ralaks

Should never allow a referee from a league without VAR to referee in a CL game tbh, he has no bottle or experience in using it.