VAR and Refs | General Discussion | May 15: Premier League clubs to vote on proposal to scrap VAR from next season

Antisocial

Has a Sony home cinema
Terrible news as I fully expect them to vote it out leaving the referees with even more unchecked power than they have already to feck things up.

Ludens the Red

People will be up in arms the second an obvious decision goes against them.

It’s a good system used poorly by refs. It’s that that needs the reform, not scrapping VAR.
Yup. This is a very dumb move if they vote it.
The minute one of these decisions goes against a team and is in favour of let’s say ‘Manchester United’ it’ll all be about how we get favoured yadda yadda yadda.
This is all very childish, Forest, Wolves etc. rather than push to scrap it. Why don’t you push for a reform? Change the way decisions are made using it.

Parma Dewol

Keeping VAR and getting better referees would make sense. But then very little in football makes sense these days.

Oranges038

Football without VAR is better. Football has too many subjective calls for it to ever be 100% fool proof.

You still had inconsistent and controversial decisions but it was split second decisions, not still getting it wrong with the option to review it from several different angles.

I don't think VAR as such is a massive problem just how they choose to apply it from game to game.

Withnail

It's a figure of speech :lol: I wasn't the original poster who said life was fine without VAR, but overall I do agree with his sentiment. Football was more enjoyable to watch. As a fan, I could actually celebrate goals.
Sorry my mad it's a been long day :lol: . I actually forgot the initial phrase included the word life.

Yeah as I've said I don't get the not celebrating thing. It's a minority of goals disallowed.

brian017

They should be voting on the refs not VAR. The technology is good, the people using it are not. It would be embarrassing in a way if they vote it out

McTerminator

Football without VAR is better. Football has too many subjective calls for it to ever be 100% fool proof.

You still had inconsistent and controversial decisions but it was split second decisions, not still getting it wrong with the option to review it from several different angles.

I don't think VAR as such is a massive problem just how they choose to apply it from game to game.
Not to mention, the fans and players can have an impact on the on field official, whereas VAR is beyond our reach and can act with impunity.

Gabriel Djemba-Bebe

Sorry my mad it's a been long day :lol: . I actually forgot the initial phrase included the word life.

Yeah as I've said I don't get the not celebrating thing. It's a minority of goals disallowed.
That doesn't stop me from worrying that they'll find a way to disallow any goal. There was one vs Fulham away in November where I actually celebrated it as I knew the two players who touched the ball weren't offside, but VAR still found a way to disallow it due to a 'subjective offside'. Moments like those make you worry about any goal being disallowed.

Withnail

That doesn't stop me from worrying that they'll find a way to disallow any goal. There was one vs Fulham away in November where I actually celebrated it as I knew the two players who touched the ball weren't offside, but VAR still found a way to disallow it due to a 'subjective offside'. Moments like those make you worry about any goal being disallowed.
I get the worry I suppose but it doesn't stop me celebrating. I get lost in the moment. Bit of a goldfish memory, I suppose :lol:

Rex Banner

As much as I'd like to see it binned, I can't see it happening. It's like Pandora's box. There's no going back unfortunately.

Flying high

Well done Wolves. I REALLY hope VAR gets binned. I have no idea how many clubs will vote to get rid, but I expect the PL will do whatever they can to pressure clubs to keep it, including promising changes which wil probably amount to little more than yet more tinkering.

There are many reasons it's shit, but the main reason for me is that it's being run by people who look at the shirt and worry about the narrative more than they judge the situation in isolation on its merits.

Have an automatic system for offside, goal line and out of play notices to the ref. Scrap the rest. It takes away far more than it adds to the game. The rest, as many others have said, is too subjective.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Except few (and yes, there were only few) VAR major mistakes, this season biggest outrage after every round is about was some penalty "soft" or not (but there WAS a contact and it has nothing to do with VAR).
Now, lets go few seasons in the past; goals from offsides and after clear fouls, penalties after clear dives, brutal tackles for red cards not seen by the ref and similiar shit.

Some of you really want that back? Just because you can't celebrate goals like you did before? Mind-blowing stuff.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
Half the time people moan about VAR, it's because the people using it won't overturn something a referee has got wrong. Implementation has been horrendous.

Getting rid of it won't fix anything. We'll all be moaning again next season when referee's are still getting everything wrong and there's no way to overturn it.

Posh Red

Except few (and yes, there were only few) VAR major mistakes, this season biggest outrage after every round is about was some penalty "soft" or not (but there WAS a contact and it has nothing to do with VAR).
Now, lets go few seasons in the past; goals from offsides and after clear fouls, penalties after clear dives, brutal tackles for red cards not seen by the ref and similiar shit.

Some of you really want that back? Just because you can't celebrate goals like you did before? Mind-blowing stuff.
Given it’s the most powerful, emotive element of watching a game of football, yes, absolutely.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Getting rid of it is exactly what the monkeys operating the system want.

The way VAR has been run is borderline sabotage.

baskinginthesun

VAR is great in principle but, we essentially have 2 referees reffing the game which where the problem lies. Why not just put both on the pitch? Or send the pitch referee to the monitor everytime and let them figure out if they need to issue a red card, penalty or whatever. Leaving the main ref in thr dark seems odd to me.

Paul778

They should swap it out for an appeals system like cricket or american football. one challenge per half. if you're right you keep the challenge

acnumber9

Sure but the whole point is if the refs are crap (which they are) then VAR just adds to the issue. VAR fundamentally changes the game, slows down decisions, stops celebrations, over analyses situations and if they can’t even reach the correct decision then what’s the point in accepting all of that. What people have always failed to realise though is that VAR was never going to fix enough issues to be worth those trade offs. There’s too many subjective calls and I’d far rather get some wrong decisions in real time than getting them after all this garbage slow down analysis. At least you can accept real time human error.
I agree.

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
If that situation with Amrabat and Gordon was on the other end and we weren’t given a penalty, I’d be fuming.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
You could give them 5 years of training and they would still be absolutely rubbish. Wolves are even more stupid to think this is the solution.
I'm not sure. I think if they have a year to go study and observe other VAR operations it might help.

90 + 5min

Never a penalty. Casemiro takes the ball. Gordon and Amrabat is just ordinary collision. Not every contact is penalty.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
If that situation with Amrabat and Gordon was on the other end and we weren’t given a penalty, I’d be fuming.
Yeh, was a pen. Didn't think it was in real time, still didn't think it was after a couple replays. But the more I saw it the more it looked a pen.

We're never in a million years getting that penalty either, so I don't have much sympathy. At least for Newcastle the media will be suitably outraged on their behalf, would barely have mentioned it if it was Garnacho

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Never a penalty. Casemiro takes the ball. Gordon and Amrabat is just ordinary collision. Not every contact is penalty.
It wasn't an ordinary collision. He trods on his achilles. It's a foul.