VAR and Refs | General Discussion

90 + 5min

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/67265837

I find it quite bizzare to release a statement like that, and it was one of the things I noticed when they released some of the audios earlier in the season.

The communication is completely chaotic and there were so many different voices, but the notion that "no we can't have refs minced up so fans can hear because it's too chaotic" is absurd.

The thing here is how do we get the decisions and communication to the referee from VAR to NOT be chaotic, so that decisions and clear, concise and understandable for the viewing audience.

It also doesn't shed a good light on the process, when things are likely already so chaotic on the field with big decisions, and calls into question how referees are able to make decisions with a clear thought process when it also seems so messy on the other side.
When you don't want transparency. When you don't want people to hear the truth.

We know how they treat us. So they can do it openly. That dosen't make any difference. What they need to understand is that we are not stupid.

RedRocket9908

I would love them to release to audio from the incidents where City got their penalty on Sunday and also the foul on Hojlund shortly after which should have been a pen and red card for denying a clear goal scoring oppurtunity if the City one was a pen.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/67265837

I find it quite bizzare to release a statement like that, and it was one of the things I noticed when they released some of the audios earlier in the season.

The communication is completely chaotic and there were so many different voices, but the notion that "no we can't have refs minced up so fans can hear because it's too chaotic" is absurd.

The thing here is how do we get the decisions and communication to the referee from VAR to NOT be chaotic, so that decisions and clear, concise and understandable for the viewing audience.

It also doesn't shed a good light on the process, when things are likely already so chaotic on the field with big decisions, and calls into question how referees are able to make decisions with a clear thought process when it also seems so messy on the other side.
I've noticed whenever there's a weekend of truly ridiculous decisions there are always articles out the following week defending them and trying to push the narrative that any criticism of Premier League referees filters down to grassroots.

Here's an idea: don't be so shit and you might not get so much abuse and referees would be seen with respect, and that really would filter down to grassroots level.

Andrew Wolf

Supports
Manchester City
I would love them to release to audio from the incidents where City got their penalty on Sunday and also the foul on Hojlund shortly after which should have been a pen and red card for denying a clear goal scoring oppurtunity if the City one was a pen.
It was outside the box so red card maybe, but not a pen

Andrew Wolf

Supports
Manchester City
It's quite simple really. You can't have PL refs freelancing in countries that owns a team in the PL. You just can't. How was this even allowed in the first place? It's not like UAE and the Saudis are doing that because they believe the best refs come from England... It doesn't even have to be corrupion to have an effect. Buying services legally works the same way.

For the penalty incident VAR should never intervene in something like that, in my opinion. Sure, it is a foul (even though helped by theatrics) but with no other options than a penalty it should not be given, especially not by VAR. The rules are lacking something in between. Start off by giving yellow cards in spots like that and move on. The alternative is 10 penalties every game/making football a non-contact sport.
I really don't understand this UAE and Saudi argument. Infact, it actually dilutes the issue completely and we're almost allowing our referees to be incompetent because of these silly conspiracy theories.

The penalty on Sunday was obviously a foul but there are similar offences that go unpunished. The Haaland one later on was a penalty but there doesn't seem to be any consipiracy calls for that?

FerociousCorgis

not sure i quite get the arguments about the freelancing either. If refs were freelancing in USA does anyone really think united would get favorable results? Think it just masks the problem that these refs are just incompetent or unwilling to overrule other refs and make them look bad.

RedDevil@84

not sure i quite get the arguments about the freelancing either. If refs were freelancing in USA does anyone really think united would get favorable results? Think it just masks the problem that these refs are just incompetent or unwilling to overrule other refs and make them look bad.
Conflict of interest doesn't mean corruption. If refs were freelancing for Glazer owned businesses, then there is conflict of interest.

Pretty sure media would have run shows about it, if that happened.

Anustart89

The Glazers don't run the MLS, but if they did and they were paying these refs to come there and referee then it would warrant questions.

Michael Oliver (and others) are literally employed by Sheikh Mansour to do a job for them, and then they come home to England and we're supposed to believe that there is no way that he could be biased in any way, shape or form?

And you mentioned that they're unwilling to overrule each other but here we have a perfect example of a referee being happy to overrule his mate and throw himself into a situation that happens every game without ever being given, for Manchester City, just a few weeks after failing to send Kovacic off for two fouls that could both have been red cards in their own right.

HappyCamper

Supports
Liverpool
I really don't understand this UAE and Saudi argument. Infact, it actually dilutes the issue completely and we're almost allowing our referees to be incompetent because of these silly conspiracy theories.
You're looking at the argument from the wrong angle. This isn't about conspiracy theories, it is about conflict of interest, which have been proven by research time and time again to have a great effect on influencing the subconscious part of the human mind. It's a reason there are strict policies regarding gifts, especially in politics, but also all kind of other stuff like bidding/voting processes.

Would you see the problem if Liverpool decided to pay refs in the PL to freelance for Liverpool kids matches for 50k a game, or if United decided to gift refs expensive gifts before every game at Old Trafford? It's basically the same thing.
I'm not on any conspiracy train. in fact, It is the oposite. I'm close to positive that Oliver and any other ref in PL is doing their best to make as fair decisions as possible. Which should highlight the problem.

The penalty on Sunday was obviously a foul but there are similar offences that go unpunished.
So would you agree that VAR in genereal would be better off staying away from intervening in these kind of offences? If not, they should intervene in all of them.

The Haaland one later on was a penalty but there doesn't seem to be any consipiracy calls for that?
I wouldn't know as I didn't see second half but I'm sure there are plenty conspiracy calls for that one as well.

"Ball goes out for a corner and linesman pretends he doesn't see it and gives the rags a throw-in! fecking cheat." - BlueMoon, on a corner, 2-0 up.

The essence of my post was about something else though.

90 + 5min

Start of this game is exactly what you knew would happen. 2 yellow cards for absolutely nothing.

And our club stay silent.

ManUnitedCanuck

Aye, just kills us straight away with yellows for nothing. It's getting ridiculous now.
But Joelington avoided one, when he just pulls a player back from behind…clear tactical foul that warrants a yellow and the ref just says it’s a foul

MegadrivePerson

Anthony Taylor has been demoted to the Championship after a controversial decision during Wolverhampton Wanderers' 2-2 draw with Newcastle United.

Although the PGMOL has not offered a formal apology to Wolves for the penalty decision, Taylor has been demoted from refereeing Premier League games this weekend.
Instead, he will take charge of a Championship fixture between Preston and Coventry on Saturday. It will be his first time officiating in the second tier since 2019.

RedDevil@84

Anthony Taylor has been demoted to the Championship after a controversial decision during Wolverhampton Wanderers' 2-2 draw with Newcastle United.

Although the PGMOL has not offered a formal apology to Wolves for the penalty decision, Taylor has been demoted from refereeing Premier League games this weekend.
Instead, he will take charge of a Championship fixture between Preston and Coventry on Saturday. It will be his first time officiating in the second tier since 2019.
Just before the Pool game, they realized Taylor was unfit to referee at this level.

stevoc

Meanwhile Oliver who openly supports Newcastle is free to referee every other team in the PL bar Newcastle
It'd be interesting to see an overview of the decisions he gives against Newcastles direct European rivals.

Because he always seems to find a way to feck United over.

Anustart89

And that's the problem. We have a referee making such a bad decision that the referee gets demoted, yet according to the VAR protocol it was still not wrong to let the decision stand (paraphrasing from Dale Johnson's VAR review).

We should accept that the game moves too fast sometimes and that on-field refs will see contact where VAR shows that it's been embellished by the player, but it should be up to VARs to correct such mistakes. It should be the VAR that gets demoted for letting such a decision slip through, but instead he's fecked his colleague by "not wanting to re-referee the game". I bet Anthony Taylor is chuffed with his mate costing him £1.5k by denying him a match fee for the next weekend.

fallengt

You'd struggle to find a club that like Taylor..Seems he change his fav from season to season
England's best ref my anus. Oiliver is next

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
No other club gets this treatment.

90 + 5min

VAR once again. This agenda against us is patethic. Just take out the team.

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
This thread will never die :lol:

I fecking hate VAR with a burning passion. I want it gone so badly.

Yakuza_devils

Feck it. It's all too technical. Football is play on the pitch and not on fecking video slow motion. No one understands the law anymore

NM

What a joke. If the club take this without complaining we deserve it. Despicable and a clear agenda.

ZainCRse7en

Did i just heard the commentator said the officials termed it as a "subjective" offisde? How can an offisde be subjective wtf???

acnumber9

Ball is past him when he swings a leg at it and it’s too high for either player. What’s the point?

DM07

A subjective offside. Var can feck off. Also Ten Hag needs to give it to the refs. Fergie would have been absolutely furious in his pressers.