VAR and Refs | General Discussion

jadaba

Football cannot continue being officiated in this way. It’s so harmful to the spectacle of it.

FriedClams

Football is corrupt to the core. Its every fecking match. One rule for United, another for every other team.
I don’t agree with the decisions, but what Would be the purpose of being corrupt against us at the moment?

NotChatGPT

Brownfinger
Referees have lost the plot in regards to red cards. If you run full speed and jump in with studs showing, barely missing the opponent you’re fine. If you’re close by and stick your leg out to block someones ability to reach the ball while they stick out their foot and you accidentally stamp on them it’s a red card because where your foot ended up. For some utter bizarre reason, they are completely focusing on outcome rather than what’s going on. It is literally mental to see tackles like Havertz, Udogie, Nketiah, Kovacic be awarded with yellow cards, and then Rashford gets a straight red for an absolutely freak accident where he doesn’t even attempt to tackle anyone. They’ve completely lost the plot

AndySmith1990

Football is corrupt to the core. Its every fecking match. One rule for United, another for every other team.
I don't think you watch any matches outside of United. VAR is a point of contention across the country and has fecked plenty of teams. It's not some big conspiracy against United

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
I can maybe, maybe understand the Rashford red without agreeing.

But can I feck agree to the Maguire pen? Is it just a case of kick the ball against the hand/arm and that’s that then? Joke.

Flying high

We've seen a lot of reds given like that. Does feel a bit unfortunate but it was a nasty contact, intentional or not.
We've seen them not given far more often.

The ref didn't even give a foul because he could see it was a genuine intention to shield the ball.

Slo mo replays are killing this game.

Mike Smalling

We've had a torrid time this season. Absolutely horrendous.

Who can we really blame, when we eventually lose this game? There will obviously be "Rashford is stupid" takes, but this is down to VAR and the ref.

redshaw

Are we paying the price for the super league stuff by the PL and Uefa? We just can't fecking move in any match, we have to walk on water.

Sgreddevil

Again VAR has been subjectively used to influence a game to what they want.
VAR need not step in for Rashford challenge.
When there was a call for penalty, why was VAR not initiated to look at the circumstances and no review of the incident.
VAR is simply a mechanism that is subjected to manipulation because it is still controlled by a human sitting in front of the tv and god knows what is his or her agenda. VAR simply is not being consistently applied .

saivet

We've seen them not given far more often.

The ref didn't even give a foul because he could see it was a genuine intention to shield the ball.

Slo mo replays are killing this game.
I suppose the intention isn't relevant though. If you're going to shield the ball you have to be careful. I do think it's unfortunate but in the day and age, it's hard to argue too much against the red.

Parma Dewol

Are you familiar with WWE? It's basically just like that now.
Not the worst comparison. WWE has to resort to craziness to make it a spectacle, football is becoming much the same. VAR is so bad it has everyone talking about every incident in every match. That’s probably what they want.

leet

I'm sick and tired of VAR overall. Every single weekend we're having some controversy and some valid complaints. Yes, refs were making some bad decisions before but I'd rather have them miss something because it's a simple human error than this BS where they're watching same thing from 17 angles with zero consistency.

Almost of all post-match discussions nowadays are about "was the VAR right on this one?". Just annoying.

Use the WC version for offsides and scrap everything else, that's the only way.

TrailMonkey

I have no idea what constitutes handball leading to a penalty anymore. It used to be plain and simple.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
I don't think you watch any matches outside of United. VAR is a point of contention across the country and has fecked plenty of teams. It's not some big conspiracy against United
United have been on the receiving end of VAR decisions more than any other team in leagues where VAR is being used.

RedRocket9908

They would have done but VAR is never going to overturn that. His arm isn't by his side and it clearly strikes his arm. Not sure how the CL rules differ but VAR doesn't give a penalty for that in the PL if the ref doesn't.
In the Premier League the ball bouncing off the attacker on to Harry's arm would have been taken in to acoount however the UEFA comps use the IFAB rules and as far as I can see the handball rule in the IFAB rule book for 23/24 doesnt mention anything about proximity or the ball bouncing off another player.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
Hargreaves is right, why do they show the refs just a still. How can decisions for a sport like football be made on still photos

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Hargreaves is right, why do they show the refs just a still. How can decisions for a sport like football be made on still photos
Because the decision has already been made. The ref going to the screen is just window dressing now, he's not the one actually making the call. Has a ref ever not overturned a call when sent to the screen since the first season of VAR?

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
Ive given up now. Fully expected us to get fecked after the wolves onana Incident, just didn't think it would be every bloody game.

SAFMUTD

Never a penalty, it's ridiculous how many decisions we've had this season against us. The penalty wasn't even reviewed by VAR.

Thom Merrilin

I've been told that intent and context doesn't matter for red card incidents, especially in Europe. So by that logic all you'd need is a still image to make your decision. It's craziness imo.

Scarecrow

Having a week off
Didn’t even show him a real-time replay. The var check starts with a freeze frame of an ankle being confronted. Come on

fergies coat

When you see the Rashford incident in real time you can see that it's just an accidental coming together, but it gets manipulated by still picture's and slow motion replays which make it look worse than what it actually is. Slow motion replays need to be banned.

GeorgieBoy

We’ve had a goal like this ruled out for exact same thing this season. Make it make sense.

eire-red

Oh look, another game dominated by VAR. I don't even care anymore about who's getting the luck of the draw in terms of the decision going their way, I'm just so sick of talking about it.

The handball rules are so retarded in Europe also.

RedDevilRoshi

VAR is slowly making me lose interest in this sport. It’s become even more corrupted, especially when you have inept people running them.

90 + 5min

We need this club to have some courage and start calling things out. We need them to demand investiagtions. We need them to put this into the light.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
Red card was pretty much the only way we could have lost from 2-0. So annoying to have such a soft one go against us

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
I don't even have the energy to be upset anymore. I go into games expecting some crazy officiating against us. I am more surprised when it does not happen to us honestly.