VAR and Refs | General Discussion

Drainy

Who wants a game of skill, with a formulated game plan and a battle of wills when you can have a shitshow where the team who is favoured in a series of random events wins

NotThatSoph

But defenders shield the ball out of play like that 10 times a game. Does Rashford get a red purely because the other player has planted his foot first? Because Rashford had no idea the players foot would be there when he was in the air.
Yes, obviously. Nani would never have gotten that red card if there was no Real Madrid player there, players use their feet to stop the ball every game.

SER19

For the love of God, get rid of this mess. I've never changed my mind on something so much - I was a big cheerleader for it. What a farce it makes of so many matches. It's almost all that gets spoken about. Nobody knows what's happening half the time. You cant celebrate goals.

Jev

Could be interesting with a Caf vote. I honestly can't understand how anyone could still think this has improved the game of football.

Parma Dewol

Awful officiating all round. Completely ruins the spectacle. This had the makings of a great game and it has turned into a farce.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Oh let's add this to them not getting a 2nd yellow and the ridiculous red for Rashford and the ridiculous pens

SER19

Who wants a game of skill, with a formulated game plan and a battle of wills when you can have a shitshow where the team who is favoured in a series of random events wins
Exactly. If a young talented exciting striker can score 2 goals and still be only the second biggest influence on a match then it's a problem. Just go back to the old world of a man with a whistle and two assistants. Maybe use it for offisde goals and that's it. If neither penalty was given tonight nobody could complain much. Most blatant fouls via tackles are awarded anyway.

Dan_F

Yes, obviously. Nani would never have gotten a red card if there was no Real Madrid player there, players use their feet to stop the ball every game.
Are they not endangering an opponent by doing the same action as Rashford then, regardless of whether the other player plants their foot first? It’s either a dangerous action or it isn’t, because as it turns out, the guy isn’t hurt at all.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
They’ve only ever mentioned proximity when they didn’t give us a penalty against Tottenham, then it was absolutely crucial.

Hasn’t been very crucial since
Indeed. City got a penalty awarded to them the following weekend for a sliding defender closer to the kick than Romero was, and it was a pass attempt not a shot on goal; Haaland missed the spot kick. No one mentioned proximity in the incident, go figure. There was another similar call a week or two later.

The Romero non-decision was egregious, only trailing the Diaz offside call for batshittery from officials.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
Why do the Premier League use the proximity cop out if IFAB don’t?
The proximity thing is a far more sensible way of doing it, in my opinion, but the PL refs are just hopeless at enforcing it consistently.

I don't see why they couldn't just say "not handball if the ball has come from within 1m" and then when they do VAR checks, measure that distance on the image.

NotThatSoph

Are they not endangering an opponent by doing the same action as Rashford then, regardless of whether the other player plants their foot first? It’s either a dangerous action or it isn’t, because as it turns out, the guy isn’t hurt at all.
I don't know if we have different experiences, but in the thousands of games I've watched and played, making contact has always been an important variable.

Dan_F

I don't know if we have different experiences, but in the thousands of games I've watched and played, making contact has always been an important variable.
But why? It’s a completely random moment that hasn’t hurt the person, wasn’t intentional at all, and happens multiple times a game. That shouldn’t decide a game of football.

NotThatSoph

But why? It’s a completely random moment that hasn’t hurt the person, wasn’t intentional at all, and happens multiple times a game. That shouldn’t decide a game of football.
Why the game is the way it is? I don't know, I didn't make it.

I've gotten carded for accidentally elbowing people, I've never gotten carded any of the countless times I've elbowed the air.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
But there's always a risk of contact when you shield the ball like that. If it's not endangering the opponent unless the opponent sticks his leg in a particular place trying to challenge you, then it's simply not something that falls under the umbrella of endangering an opponent.

Dan_F

Why the game is the way it is? I don't know, I didn't make it.

I've gotten carded for accidentally elbowing people, I've never gotten carded any of the countless times I've elbowed the air.
You’ve been red carded for accidentally elbowing someone? We aren’t talking about yellows here.

Bobski

VAR and the absurdity around handball has the game in the absolute pits.

Just a clown show.

Zen

When are we gonna start pumping money in these people's pockets? Something is seriously going on, there's no way they can be this consistently bad against one team.

SER19

VAR is the most corruptible change introduced to football in a long time and I truly believe we're seeing it now. It coincides with huge middle eastern interest in the game too that wasn't there prior. Fixing through a var official is infinitely more possible than through a referee and it is a genuinely plausible explanation for just how bad this sport has become so quickly.

Tell me some broke Lithuanian amateur ref isn't gettable? We have the current 'treble winners' blatantly buying titles and we're supposed to act like it's tinfoil hat time to suggest this rotten sport is corrupt at the very heart of matches.

Superunknown

VAR was brought in to help the referees make the right decisions and make them quickly.

It hasn't improved the game and has arguably made the game worse. I have finally decided that it is time for it to go.

Bobski

No wonder people call for everything with a performance like that.

Also it shows, yet again, that this idea that it is only in England that officiating is a mess is a total nonsense. Game needs a reset.

Longshanks

Dreadful referee display in all honesty. Its a cliche but the game truly has gone.

Gee Male

That red card decision can only be made if you ignore what actually happened in real time. An absolute pile of shite that.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Can we start a petition or something? Var doesn’t work in it’s current implementation

binary bot
The game is in a bad way. Of the three big decisions, i thought all 3 were wrong. Not that it's solely about intent but there was no intent in any of them. At which stage the game becomes a lottery.

SER19

A lithuanian construction project manager refereeing a champions league game of that importance. Okay.