VAR and Refs | General Discussion

NotThatSoph

Sarcasm and exaggeration are underrated
I know you didn't mean it literally.

The amount of bookings for dissent is already double the amount of the whole of last season, it's clearly an area of focus just like fines for surrounding the referee was last year. We are currently third in the dissent table, with 13, behind Chelsea and Fulham.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
re: the ESPN report, ESPN are owned by Disney who are known the world over for their fanasty lands!

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters

The amount of bookings for dissent is already double the amount of the whole of last season, it's clearly an area of focus just like fines for surrounding the referee was last year. We are currently third in the dissent table, with 13, behind Chelsea and Fulham.
Indeed it is, they clearly stated at the start of the season they were goingh to crack down on it, just not consistently as Dalot found out not so long ago

OldSchoolManc

Indeed it is, they clearly stated at the start of the season they were goingh to crack down on it, just not consistently as Dalot found out not so long ago
Oliver quite clearly wanted to make an example that match. It just so happened that it was Against United. Pure coincidence. Oliver fekking United

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
this is one of the worst officiated games ive ever seen. Nobody could watch this and believe the rules are the same for both teams. Hojlind has once again been absolutely ripped to the ground without even getting a free, meanwhile every time Morris fancies a lie down he gets a free kick. Weve substitied a third of our team to avoid the blatant bias that means we get yellows when they dont.

This type of officiating decides games far more than penalties/red card/wrong decisions for goals and is as close to feeling like playing against 12 as it can be. Luton players feel and demonstrated it in their energy and conduct, the crowd feed on it too. Just an awful, weak, cowards performance
In fairness we were constantly battering through the back of Morris miles from goal as if he was some kind of epic threat.

sebsheep

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Should have been a second yellow. Not sure why VAR can't intervene for that. It's daft.
Pretty much the same as Woodrow earlier on in the game, on a yellow and late into a challenge. Didn't generate any comments though.

SER19

In fairness we were constantly battering through the back of Morris miles from goal as if he was some kind of epic threat.
We weren't though. Once or twice, maybe. Other than that it was bog standard close defending that happens so many times in every game it barely registers. I think it was the worst reffing performance of the season.

reddyornot

On ref watch tomorrow will they ask why Woodrow was not sent off.
Booked for delaying a free kick, then he's tackle on Harry Maguire.
Also Morris constantly looking for yellow cards.
I'm sure Casemiro will be covered in depth, once again.

RedRocket9908

Dermot says Ivan Toney should indeed have had a penalty

Also Newcastle penalty was correct, this is an interesting one.

Last edited:

arnie_ni

An inconsistent area of focus as usual though which is the issue

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
The Newcastle one makes no sense to me.

We're told puiling offences at corners/free kicks only matter if the player has a chance to play the ball, but in this instance he can't play the ball so he's not offside?

To be fairto Dermot, I don't even think he believes what he's saying on that one.

NotThatSoph

An inconsistent area of focus as usual though which is the issue
Dissent has always been one of the most inconsistent bookings, and is probably the hardest thing to be consistent on unless you blanket ban just about everything.

The issue voiced in this thread doesn't seem to be a general inconsistency, but that United are getting targeted. Conspiracies, corruption, et cetera.

Garnacho's Shoelaces

Those sandwich-eating, corrupt officials!

At the end of the day, the conspiracy stuff just sounds idiotic. It's just incompetence.
I used to be firmly in this camp for a very long time. However, when you have Michael Oliver, et al. willingly accepting c. 25-35% of their salary (declared amount) to referee Sunday League level games in the Middle East, paid for by the owners of two clubs who are already extensively involved in corruption, money laundering and financial doping, it is not implausible that there is corruption in the league.

When you add in that there is literally billions of pounds flying about in the EPL across transfer fees, player salaries, TV licencing , while the referees earn in a year, what Marcus Rashford will earn this week by Wednesday teatime, that is also another significant risk factor for corruption given the massive disparity between in pay and the power disparity referees control over game outcomes.

A lot of it will come down to less sinister factors. There is ultimately less scrutiny on refereeing decisions when they matter less on the outcome of the title. United haven't been relevant to the EPL title race since 2012/13. That attracts less media attention. The referees therefore have less pressure and unconscious bias giving decisions against United. That has shifted the weight of what we, as United's fanbase, have historically been used to.

Similarly, a lot of referees are obviously big football fans. United have been the most successful team in English football for the past 30 years. That creates a lot of bad sentiment among referees likely to also contribute to unconscious bias.

The fact United haven't called out the decisions in the same way City, Liverpool, Arsenal and even Burnley and Sheffield have means there's no accountability at all for referees.

We're just an easy touch.

48 hours

I’m sure he didn’t mind the 9 mins added on at Old Trafford when we were winning 1-0, the moaning fecker

Withnail

Dermot says Ivan Toney should indeed have had a penalty

"He may think it's a penalty but not enough of an error to overrule the referee"

Highlighting once again the absolute insanity of the framework these poor dopes are forced to work in. How can giving no penalty when it was a penalty not be a clear and obvious error?

At the very least the ref should have been sent to the monitor.

Also Newcastle penalty was correct, this is an interesting one.

Yeah this has come up before and makes sense to me. I've no idea what the three of them are talking about though. The argument that the defender is forced to commit the foul because he's off-side is just nonsense.

The rules are set up that you're not offside til you impact the play and offside decisions, in general, are better for it. This is a consequence of that and the defender shouldn't be pulling his shirt at all.

Last edited:

Dansk

I’m sure he didn’t mind the 9 mins added on at Old Trafford when we were winning 1-0, the moaning fecker

Absolutely nothing happened in the 2nd half that warranted more added time than that. No goals, no injuries, no meaningful stoppages of any kind. It's insufferable that people keep spewing these ABU conspiracy lies based on literally nothing. They're so eager for a narrative where the refs help United that they'll just make up whatever nonsense they want to justify that. It's one thing when random fans do it, but a fecking PL manager? Beyond pathetic.

And that was after a game where the ref gave them absolutely everything and was bizarrely harsh on United. What a cretin. And nobody will hold him to task for it because people celebrate this sort of idiotic drivel.

Last edited:

Anustart89

Absolutely nothing happened in the 2nd half that warranted more added time than that. No goals, no injuries, no meaningful stoppages of any kind. It's insufferable that people keep spewing these ABU conspiracy lies based on literally nothing. They're so eager for a narrative where the refs help United that they'll just make up whatever nonsense they want to justify that. It's one thing when random fans do it, but a fecking PL manager? Beyond pathetic.

And that was after a game where the ref gave them absolutely everything and was bizarrely harsh on United. What a cretin. And nobody will hold him to task for it because people celebrate this sort of idiotic drivel.
We made three of our subs during the first half or half-time so there's not even that.

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
I'm fecking sick of Liverpool getting dodgy offside decisions in their favour versus us in finals.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
It's not the NBA, you can't play blatant screens blocking off people.

All Endo had to do was take a few steps with him and slow him and it's still a goal. Instead he made it blatant and just stood there and bumped him.

CannonBalls

Supports
Arsenal
It's not the NBA, you can't play blatant screens blocking off people.

All Endo had to do was take a few steps with him and slow him and it's still a goal. Instead he made it blatant and just stood there and bumped him.
Even that wouldn't have been the issue. Issue was Endo was offside and this interfering with play.
It was a good spot by VAR but these instances are not consistent.

90 + 5min

Chelsea got a goal disallowed

Liverpool got a goal disallowed

I wonder which one media is picking up and talking about? Ridiculous.

Ahmer Baig

After every match Klopp takes a swipe at referees and then VAR benefits Liverpool in next match.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
75% of the vid is just showing how we benefited from decisions :lol:.

That’s ridiculous….it suggests that a few clubs have had one or two decisions go their way over 20 years and we have had dozens.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
Two questions about the goals disallowed yesterday.

Did they show the lines for the call on Chelsea's goal being offside? I didn't see them and it looked very tight.

Why didn't they just give the Enzo block as a foul rather than offside, which seemed way more complicated rules-wise?

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Two questions about the goals disallowed yesterday.

Did they show the lines for the call on Chelsea's goal being offside? I didn't see them and it looked very tight.

Why didn't they just give the Enzo block as a foul rather than offside, which seemed way more complicated rules-wise?
It probably didn't rise to the level of a foul in all honesty. That kind of thing happens on every set piece constantly.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
It probably didn't rise to the level of a foul in all honesty. That kind of thing happens on every set piece constantly.
That makes sense, but kind of makes it weirder that he was deemed active but his actions were not significant enough to be a foul and you hardly ever get done for being active unless you're right in the keeper's face and even then, hardly ever. He took the defender's attention granted, but seems like they were levelling up the really tight offside goal, which they didn't show the lines for dodgily.

I hate complex or stupid rules that need explaining, eg when that Middlesbrough player in the FA cup did a blatant handball but wasn't penalised cos he crossed it for the goal, rather than scored himself.

Withnail

That makes sense, but kind of makes it weirder that he was deemed active but his actions were not significant enough to be a foul and you hardly ever get done for being active unless you're right in the keeper's face and even then, hardly ever. He took the defender's attention granted, but seems like they were levelling up the really tight offside goal, which they didn't show the lines for dodgily.

I hate complex or stupid rules that need explaining, eg when that Middlesbrough player in the FA cup did a blatant handball but wasn't penalised cos he crossed it for the goal, rather than scored himself.
Well he was interfering with play therefore offside. He quite clearly blocked off the defenders run and wasn't even looking at the ball. If it isn't a foul it should be.

As for the handball thing, they changed that a while back. It's absolutely ridiculous if you ask me. Score and it's a foul, pass to someone who scores and it's all good. Nonsense.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
I had a bet yesterday on an MLS game (Houston vs someone). Needed a goal before halftime to cash a big parlay. 42nd minute and i get the goal update only to later see it was ruled out for offside. I go search for the replay online and the goal looks onside. I still can't understand how VAR can overturn an objectively correct decision. If they can't even get offsides correct then we might as well bin the whole thing.

Withnail

I had a bet yesterday on an MLS game (Houston vs someone). Needed a goal before halftime to cash a big parlay. 42nd minute and i get the goal update only to later see it was ruled out for offside. I go search for the replay online and the goal looks onside. I still can't understand how VAR can overturn an objectively correct decision. If they can't even get offsides correct then we might as well bin the whole thing.
How does it look onside?

Did you see how they determined that or were you looking at a standard replay, which to your eye can make a player look further ahead or behind than they actually are due to perspective distortion?