VAR and Refs | General Discussion

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
Forest were in possession of the ball, two Liverpool players collide and the gives the ball to Liverpool. How can you say possession doesn't change hands in any meaningful way when the ref gave the ball to the team out of possession?

He should have given the ball to Forest. If they then lose the ball fair enough, but you'd be fuming as a forest fan as there was feck all wrong with Konate, who got to his feet as soon as the ref blew the whistle.

EDIT: Ugh these pricks have me agreeing with Richard Keys
I was replying to someone saying it changed hands multiple times after the restart.

My entire post was about how it didn't, and the only meaningful change was the bizarre decision to give the ball to Liverpool.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
For some reason was it was a drop ball for Liverpool and they simply refused to give the ball back. I don’t understand why the drop ball wasn’t given simply given to Forest considering they were in clear possession of the ball.

Not that I think any of this matters anyway. Forest weren’t close to scoring with their possession and possession changes hands a few times after with Forest passing up multiple opportunities to clear their lines.

Has anyone seen the actual drop ball? I watched the game on telly and can’t remember the restart. I don’t think they showed it? It’s not in that video.

90 + 5min

We know how Liverpool have been treated by VAR and referees last couple of years. Today was no different. We also know how we have been treated.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea

Josep Dowling

Since that Spurs game Liverpool have been given every single decision. It keeps happening again and again and again yet it’s never called out by the media.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons

RacingClub

Supports
Racing Club
There was a load of people on here talking about it right on the final whistle, as though they’d seen what happened. I was curious if anyone saw it live?
I was watching live but didn't notice it (if it happened) but it was brought up at the final whistle by Shea Given on Premier Sports while footage played of Stephen Reid being carded for arguing with the ref as they left the pitch.

Longshanks

I think Paul Tierney bottles giving Forest an uncontested drop ball in the attacking third. Funnily enough iv seen the exact same situation play out in a non league game I was at recently and the ref made the same decision and gave the ball to the defending GK for the restart. Despite the rules clearly stating the ball should be given back to the team in possession, in both cases the attacking team had possesion in similar areas.

I think the rule needs tweaking for dealing with these sort of situations. Perhaps to also help discourage faking head injuries to stop attacks an attacking corner should be given if the attacking team has possesion when play is stopped in the attacking third.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
He also gave a goal kick when he should have given a corner earlier in the game. This is the level we're at here.

whitbyviking

Interesting a referee finally breaks the seeming omertà around the poor decisions, just a shame it happens to be one on the payroll of the affected club.

This season has brought the whole league into disrepute with the multiple referee farces, highlighted and exacerbated by the technology that was supposed to fix them. Not to mention the financial issues of several members and the complete lack of discourse around the 115 charges. The Premier League looks amateur.

acnumber9

He also gave a goal kick when he should have given a corner earlier in the game. This is the level we're at here.
Not really. That can be because they haven’t clearly seen the last touch. What’s the excuse for that?

erikcred

Not really. That can be because they haven’t clearly seen the last touch. What’s the excuse for that?
I only caught the highlights, but I thought the ref just gave a free kick for Liverpool because he mistakenly thought their defender got fouled by a Forest player. The whole sequence seemed a bit confusing. Nothing blatant like some of the other decisions that lot usually get.

B20

Supports
Liverpool
He did the same thing when a forest player went down earlier in the game and gave the ball to them.

TheReligion

Abusive
Tierney missing the high boot by Yates which was a borderline red card is as worrying as the drop ball decision.
Surely you understand the difference between missing something and actually seeing something but either a) not knowing the rules or b) knowingly applying the rule incorrectly?

I’m surprised I’m having to explain this

B20

Supports
Liverpool
Yes that’s exactly the same. That’s why every single media outlet are running with it.
They are running with it because they love a talking point. If it had happened in the 20th minute and no goal a minute later, there'd be no talking point.

erikcred

Surely you understand the difference between missing something and actually seeing something but either a) not knowing the rules or b) knowingly applying the rule incorrectly?

I’m surprised I’m having to explain this
You're right. The refs are shite. We know this.

But in this particular instance, I think two wrongs ended up making a right. It should've been a free kick for Liverpool anyway.
I'd be fuming if exactly the same thing happened to us with Martinez instead of Konate.

twitter thread suggester
Two wrongs do not make a right. And the last wrong was a potential title decider.

Oranges038

You're right. The refs are shite. We know this.

But in this particular instance, I think two wrongs ended up making a right. It should've been a free kick for Liverpool anyway.
I'd be fuming if exactly the same thing happened to us with Martinez instead of Konate.
They should have got a free kick because Kelleher took out Konate?

Oranges038

There's a forest player (no. 22 I think) flying in with a high boot. That's what I meant.
Is going for the ball and doesn't really make any contact with anyone, that's never a foul.

But, if that's the bar for a foul, then the Liverpool equalizer should have been chalked off for VVD's usual rugby tackle in the box.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Since that Spurs game Liverpool have been given every single decision. It keeps happening again and again and again yet it’s never called out by the media.
It is pretty simple really. You moan about refs, make a scandal and you will get decisions. Klopp always does it early in the season. After Spurs game he and Liverpool called out refs and FA, made a huge, huge story about that situation and now they enjoy in decisions.
Since he attacked Tierney and said in public that "Tierney doesn't love him", Tierney didn't do a single mistake against Pool.

That is the way. Not like Erik does it; "I don't comment a refs, they have a tough job".

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
There's a forest player (no. 22 I think) flying in with a high boot. That's what I meant.
Raised, going for the ball… we’d have a lot of free kicks for that?

The video from behind the goal/RH touchline shows him not touching anyone (I know that’s not the only reason to give/not give a free kick) and Kelleher taking out Konate…. who seemed ok to look up at what was happening.

It’s either a FK (which he didn’t give) or a drop ball to Forest. Based on what journos/ex refs have said

DoubleDinhos

Liverpool Fan
Yet you still can’t acknowledge the difference between missing something and applying the rules incorrectly?
Obviously there's a difference. They both point to bad refereeing by Tierney (and the VAR team) in two different respects. And the latter is worse, I can't argue that. He also misapplied that rule earlier in the game, so he's clearly a bad ref.

Materially, it was lucky that poor decisions balanced themselves out over the course of the game. As I said, you want competence. But balanced incompetence is at least the next best option.

DoubleDinhos

Liverpool Fan

The video from behind the goal/RH touchline shows him not touching anyone (I know that’s not the only reason to give/not give a free kick) and Kelleher taking out Konate…. who seemed ok to look up at what was happening.

It’s either a FK (which he didn’t give) or a drop ball to Forest. Based on what journos/ex refs have said
His foot was head height of a jumping Konate and Kelleher. It's textbook dangerous play and it should have been foul and a potential red card even missing contact.

The refereeing team messed up by not reviewing that with VAR and then they messed up the drop ball rule. Luckily those decisions balanced out.

erikcred

Is going for the ball and doesn't really make any contact with anyone, that's never a foul.
I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on how normal this situation is. I don't think this happens as often in a match as you suggest. The forest player flies in with the boot right at the heads of a bunch of players.

If the ref called that, we wouldn't have given it a second look. He fecked that up and then fecked it up again with the restart.